SL-Class (R230) 2003 -- 2012: Discussion on the SL500, SL550, SL600

SL/R230: SL600 questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 11:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL600 questions

3 questions I could use some help with...

1) The differences between the 2004 SL600 and the 2005 model. I believe there is a CD vs. DVD issue (is this a big thing if I'm not going to drive while watching movies?), but I'm not sure what else. I'm assuming there are no substantive mechanical changes.

I currently have a CL5 but have caught the SL bug; have been looking at a Black 2004 SL600 with ~6K miles for ~$113K. Options are as follows:

- Alpaca Grey Headliner
- Navigation CD Collection, USA
- Handset Credit
- Distronic
- Parktronic
- 321 AMG Sport-Package
- Panorama Roof w/Sunshade
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring Syste
- Keyless Go

#2) Given the above, how does that $113K price seem? (I was actually thinking of giving a '$110K out-the-door' pitch to see what happens). It seems to me that with these options this is about a $25K break from 'new' price.

3) The one thing I wish this particular car had was the Black Nappa leather option (which I really like). This SL6 has 'Charcoal Exclusive Leather'. In that the vehicle is a drive away I was hoping to get some comments as to this interior/exterior scheme.

I hope this makes some sense everyone... any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

P.S. With the savings in buying pre-owned I may make the move to the RennTech chip mod that I've heard is the reason to get the 600.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by JMStandish
3 questions I could use some help with...

1) The differences between the 2004 SL600 and the 2005 model. I believe there is a CD vs. DVD issue (is this a big thing if I'm not going to drive while watching movies?), but I'm not sure what else. I'm assuming there are no substantive mechanical changes.

I currently have a CL5 but have caught the SL bug; have been looking at a Black 2004 SL600 with ~6K miles for ~$113K. Options are as follows:

- Alpaca Grey Headliner
- Navigation CD Collection, USA
- Handset Credit
- Distronic
- Parktronic
- 321 AMG Sport-Package
- Panorama Roof w/Sunshade
- Heated Steering Wheel
- Tire-Pressure Monitoring Syste
- Keyless Go

#2) Given the above, how does that $113K price seem? (I was actually thinking of giving a '$110K out-the-door' pitch to see what happens). It seems to me that with these options this is about a $25K break from 'new' price.

3) The one thing I wish this particular car had was the Black Nappa leather option (which I really like). This SL6 has 'Charcoal Exclusive Leather'. In that the vehicle is a drive away I was hoping to get some comments as to this interior/exterior scheme.

I hope this makes some sense everyone... any insight on this is greatly appreciated.

P.S. With the savings in buying pre-owned I may make the move to the RennTech chip mod that I've heard is the reason to get the 600.
I almost bout an '04 SL600 for $105k in December. Car had 4k miles. The '05 DVD Nav is a M A J O R improvement. If you don't want to spring for a new '05, I'd wait. CPO '05s should be poppping up real soon. For $113k, I'd rather have and '05 SL55 or step up to a 600. I hated my '03 SL becuase of the cumbersome Nav. It lasted 60 days in my garage. I think $113k is to high based on my experience. Then again, the '04 I considered had no pano roof or sport package. Pano roof is a must have.

My '05 was about $143k with all options, so $113K may be a good price, but that old nav sucks.

I love the black over charcoal. Almost bought another '04 with those colors. Passed on it becuase of old Nav and dealer (MB or San Diego) was trying to screw me on my trade. Went to another dealer.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 01-30-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 42 Posts
2023 760i and 2023 EQS580V4
While I think the new 2005 DVD based COMMAND and navigation unit are much more high-tech looking, I don't really think it is better than the 2004 CD based unit.

Some people actually think the stereo portion of the unit is actually worse and I agree with that.

In addition, some gagits like the A/C air burst buttons have been eliminated in the 2005 models.

If you can get a great deal on a low mileage 2004 and money and time are important, I would go for it.

When comparing prices remember your list has every option and the cost of that car in 2005 would be approximately $144,000. I say approximately because in 2005 they added the shifter buttons with the AMG package and as a result you can't get the heated steering wheel with the AMG option.

You said your offering $110,000 would be a $25,000 break and I think you are underestimating that. The $144,000 is a new 2005 price. I am not sure but I think the 2005's were only about $2,000-$3,000 more than the 2004 model year. That would make the 2004 cost somewhere around $141,000 as compared to the $110,000.

You also mention the Black Nappa option which you also wanted. As you can see below, my car has that option. This option was not available in 2004. The 2005 model year was the first time this option was available at a cost of $3,750.

If money and time are not that important than I agree, I would get the latest model possible. If you are going to order one, at this point I would think about a 2006 which should be arriving some time in July which is only a few months later than if you ordered a new 2005 now.
Attached Thumbnails SL600 questions-convertible.jpg   SL600 questions-inside.jpg   SL600 questions-front.jpg  

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-30-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
DVD vs CD

Originally Posted by LovinSL600
While I think the new 2005 DVD based COMMAND and navigation unit are much more high-tech looking, I don't really think it is better than the 2004 CD based unit.

Some people actually think the stereo portion of the unit is actually worse and I agree with that.
I'm so surprised to hear this. Assuming that the COMMAND and nav unit were similar to my 2000 S (CD based) and 2004 S (DVD based), I am at a real loss trying to determine what you like better about the earlier CD unit. While admitting that sound quality is a subjective value, I am very impressed with the funtionality and user friendly controls of the DVD system. I particularly enjoy needing only ONE dvd for the navigation, as opposed to needing an additional nav CD 150 miles from my home. Plus, the "birds eye view" is like landing a plane!

I'm curious though, with the SL being only a 2-seater, does your COMMAND audio offer "surround" "front optimization" etc ?

Finally, your SL600 is about as gorgeous as they get! Enjoy !
Old 01-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
If money and time are not that important than I agree, I would get the latest model possible. If you are going to order one, at this point I would think about a 2006 which should be arriving some time in July which is only a few months later than if you ordered a new 2005 now.
Also keep in mind that the SL is due for a facelift, which most people think is coming in 2006, so do you prefer the current look, or would you rather wait a few months for the new look?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Also keep in mind that the SL is due for a facelift, which most people think is coming in 2006, so do you prefer the current look, or would you rather wait a few months for the new look?
You'd find a lot of people that disagree with you that any kind of facelift is happening to the SL in 2006.

It would be the first time in the history of Mercedes that this would happen so early in a cycle and the next year after their highest priced car just came out.

You never know but I wouldn't count on it happening.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Great info

Wanting to hold the vehicle for 18 months and being fond of updated tech, I think I would kick myself not to go with the DVD (too bad about some of the other features not carrying over in the 2005 however). I still plan on the low-mileage pre-owned, yet I'll try and hold myself off for a bit longer to see what develops, i.e. if a black 2005 (w/steering shifter buttons) and black nappa becomes available.

>Do let me know if any of you happen across one!
(I'm in San Diego, but don't much care where it is as long as its a match)

In getting ahead of myself, I assuming the RennTech chip will offer a real difference in performance but will not affect the warranty. Are 20" rims fine with an SL6 or are 19s the better route to take? I understand this is subjective, yet my only real concern is rubbing and driving performance (I prefer a tighter/stiffer setup). Lastly, regardless of 19/20s, what lowering module do you recommend?

Thanks again to all for sharing your insight.

Last edited by JMStandish; 01-30-2005 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MBZFAN55
I'm so surprised to hear this. Assuming that the COMMAND and nav unit were similar to my 2000 S (CD based) and 2004 S (DVD based), I am at a real loss trying to determine what you like better about the earlier CD unit. While admitting that sound quality is a subjective value, I am very impressed with the funtionality and user friendly controls of the DVD system. I particularly enjoy needing only ONE dvd for the navigation, as opposed to needing an additional nav CD 150 miles from my home. Plus, the "birds eye view" is like landing a plane!

I'm curious though, with the SL being only a 2-seater, does your COMMAND audio offer "surround" "front optimization" etc ?

Finally, your SL600 is about as gorgeous as they get! Enjoy !
First and of course most important is thank you for your kind words about my SL.

Second, with respect to the new DVD COMMAND I agree with you that functionality and use friendly controls are much improved however it is definitely true that the sound quality has deteriorated. The driver optimization function is also gone in this years command in addition to the ability to change the presets from the steering wheel.

I think this issue has something to do with the fact that they have changed over to the MOHST system this year and don't have it just right yet. I don't think it is the speakers.

The CD navigation system was the worst I have ever seen and while the DVD is fancier and looks better, it is still the worst. The one DVD is nice to have but unless you are traveling from one part of the country to the next, it really is useless.

There are many people that feel this way. Read the following thread in another forum at the link listed below.

"Read this about "poor quality" 2005 command"

The link is:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/foru...osts=27&fid=28

I am sure Mercedes will find a way to make it better in time but for now it is not up to par with the rest of the car!

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-30-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:05 PM
Almost a Member!

Interior

I should qualify that a main reason for my holding off to see if a 2005 black nappa becomes available was the images of LovinSL600's interior. Simply perfect in my book!

Last edited by JMStandish; 01-30-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LovinSL600: I should say that a main reason for my holding off to see if a 2005 black nappa becomes available soon was the work you did to your SL6. Simply perfect, good show!
The chances of finding a used 2005 SL with a black interior are extremely low. If you ask the dealers almost no one ordered cars with black interiors so if you are waiting for a used SL600 with a black interior, I wouldn't be hopefull although you never know.

People thought is was an outrage for Mercedes to charge $3,750 for a black interior. They told no one, including the dealers, that you got an upgraded interior.

In addition, you mention a tighter/stiffer ride in one of your posts. The SL600 is not the tighter ride. That would be the SL55 or the SL65 and there is a difference. The SL600 is much smoother and although tight, does not compare to the SL55 or SL65.

Hope this does not confuse you.

Good luck.

Last edited by LovinMercedes; 01-30-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Understood.

No confusion, I understand the differences betweent the models, but am zeroing in on the V12, but simply with larger shoes (with 18/19/20 sizes there is a road feel difference). Certainly the SL65 hits all the rights spots, but not at the price (at least not for what I want to spend right now anyway). For $6500 the RennTech chip comes real close and the larger shoes would give it a good stance (not flashy, just strong). I understand that the suspension, brakes and other set-up elements captured by the 55/65 are not in the 600, yet I can't help but think that the 600 is MORE than adequate. Your point of hoping to see if a 2005 black nappa turns up soon was well taken... I'll give it some time though (there's got to be one out there somewhere...).

Last edited by JMStandish; 01-30-2005 at 01:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No confusion, I understand the differences betweent the models, but am zeroing in on the V12, but with larger shoes. Certainly the SL65 hits all the rights spots but not at the price (not for what I want to spend now anyway). For $6500 the renntech chip comes real close and larger shoes would give it a good stance (not flashy, just strong). I understand that the suspension, brakes and other set-up elements captured by the 55/65 are not in the 600, yet I can't help but think that the 600 is MORE than adequate. Your point of hoping to see if a 2005 black nappa turns up soon was well taken... I'll give it some time though (there's one out there somewhere calling...).
Good luck, I will keep my eyes open for you as well.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:51 PM

You'd find a lot of people that disagree with you that any kind of facelift is happening to the SL in 2006.

It would be the first time in the history of Mercedes that this would happen so early in a cycle and the next year after their highest priced car just came out.

You never know but I wouldn't count on it happening.
Actually, the current S-class was facelifted (new front and rear lights, new grille, upgraded interior) in the 4th year of the production cycle. 2006 will be the 4th year of the SL. The previous SL (R129) was facelifted in the 6th or 7th year of the cycle, but that car had a 12 or 13 year production run. And speaking of the S-class, apparently Mercedes is releasing the S65 in the US for close to 200K in 2006, the final year of production.

I was speaking to a dealer about ordering a new SL55 last week, and while they are unable to confirm or deny a facelift, they "highly recommended" that I wait a few weeks to place my order. Apparently, they have heard the rumors as well, and are waiting for something definitive.

Personally, I like the SL as it is, but I would hate to special-order a car, wait 4 months for it, then have a new one come out a few weeks later. Hopefully we'll know something soon.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by v8plus4
Actually, the current S-class was facelifted (new front and rear lights, new grille, upgraded interior) in the 4th year of the production cycle. 2006 will be the 4th year of the SL. The previous SL (R129) was facelifted in the 6th or 7th year of the cycle, but that car had a 12 or 13 year production run. And speaking of the S-class, apparently Mercedes is releasing the S65 in the US for close to 200K in 2006, the final year of production.

I was speaking to a dealer about ordering a new SL55 last week, and while they are unable to confirm or deny a facelift, they "highly recommended" that I wait a few weeks to place my order. Apparently, they have heard the rumors as well, and are waiting for something definitive.

Personally, I like the SL as it is, but I would hate to special-order a car, wait 4 months for it, then have a new one come out a few weeks later. Hopefully we'll know something soon.
I would agree. Waiting for a new car and then having a new look coming out weeks later would be terrible.

Time will tell. I am not sure if I even like the new nose. We will see if it ever happens, is it the new nose with no other grill changes or do they make other changes as well?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:06 PM

I would agree. Waiting for a new car and then having a new look coming out weeks later would be terrible.

Time will tell. I am not sure if I even like the new nose. We will see if it ever happens, is it the new nose with no other grill changes or do they make other changes as well?
Not sure. I guess they keep a tight lid on that sort of thing so as not to adversely affect sales of the current model year.