SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2013 SL 550 Meisterschaft install.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 11:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 HARLEY FLHTK, 2013 SL550, 2014 S63
Smile 2013 SL 550 Meisterschaft install.....

Hello All,

New to the forum but like to ask and share my experience with Meisterschaft R231 catback install experience:

Purchased the R231 catback system from VIVID RACING, (no explanation non what so ever from VIVID that system is custom build and it'll take 10 days to build and ship), it arrived about 10 or 11 days after I ordered it, no worries but company that brags about customer satisfaction should have informed their buyers/customers about the custom build little better....ooh well.....)

I have a buddy who works at MB as a service tech, I asked him to do the install, (supposebly should have been bolt on install, according to GTHAUS), anyways the day of the install, he cuts the factory pipes to fit the new catback, but he discovers that, either VIVID sends the wrong catback's to us, or GTHAUS builds them wrong, catback's are stamped for AMG's (the diameters are bigger, clamps wont close the gap), which is a nice free $3000 upgrade (I GUESS), but they don't fit to 2013 R231, so, now they need to be flanged up, to fit right, which is a another delay.....now, her is the million dollar question to y'all who has experience with this kind of install, did they send us the correct pipes or did they really make a mistake.....any comments would be appreciated.....(if I missed any info please fell free to add or ask what I missed, I'm not too technical and don't assume I know all...) )

Thanks in advance to all...
Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
First, welcome to the forum.

I am interested in the Meisterschaft exhaust later this year so I can't tell what your problem is. I hope someone else is able to answer your question, but please let us know what you find is wrong with the exhaust.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 PM

Meisterschaft exhaust

Originally Posted by Centexhokie
First, welcome to the forum.

I am interested in the Meisterschaft exhaust later this year so I can't tell what your problem is. I hope someone else is able to answer your question, but please let us know what you find is wrong with the exhaust.

Thanks.
I'm still not sure if anything was wrong or they ship the wrong part or what, whatever it might be; my buddy who is a tech at MB of Nashville who installed it, he told me and showed me that the Meisterschaft exhaust pipes are larger in diameter, and he saw (i didn’t) that pipes were stamped AMG, which was a $3000 more if you order it for your AMG, what he had to do was uninstall the exhaust system from the SL550, I took it to the muffler shop the one they utilize, so the end of the pipes can be flanged out about .25", so the clamps would fit tightly where Meisterschaft exhaust meets .......little leg work but end result is incredible, NOW THE SL550 IS ROARING, I MEAN INCREDIBLE, HARD TO DESCRIBE…..)…..!!!

I hope this helps....!
Old 04-16-2014, 11:05 AM

2021 Mercedes GLC 43 AMG
Originally Posted by DATURK
I'm still not sure if anything was wrong or they ship the wrong part or what, whatever it might be; my buddy who is a tech at MB of Nashville who installed it, he told me and showed me that the Meisterschaft exhaust pipes are larger in diameter, and he saw (i didn’t) that pipes were stamped AMG, which was a $3000 more if you order it for your AMG, what he had to do was uninstall the exhaust system from the SL550, I took it to the muffler shop the one they utilize, so the end of the pipes can be flanged out about .25", so the clamps would fit tightly where Meisterschaft exhaust meets .......little leg work but end result is incredible, NOW THE SL550 IS ROARING, I MEAN INCREDIBLE, HARD TO DESCRIBE…..)…..!!!

I hope this helps....!
Thanks for the update. What I meant when I said what is wrong was whether it was expected that you would have to flange out the end of the pipes or was something shipped to you incorrectly?

Thanks
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM

SL63
I just ordered the GT2 exhaust for my 2014 SL63. I was told 6-8 weeks for fabrication. was yours the GT or GT2?
Old 05-15-2014, 11:17 PM

mine was GT, very pleased with the sound n performance....not tht i put on dyno or anything but over all i'm pleased......sound difference is increadable, it is roaring when accelerating and no bother while regular drive, its amazing, hope you'll like yours as well....)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:25 PM

i believe i ordered the correct ones, perhaps they shipped out the wrong ones, unless they are all the same pipes to begin with, then it wouldnt make no difference...lol
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Centexhokie
Thanks for the update. What I meant when I said what is wrong was whether it was expected that you would have to flange out the end of the pipes or was something shipped to you incorrectly?

Thanks
I believe i ordered the correct ones, perhaps they shipped out the wrong ones, unless they are all the same pipes to begin with, then it wouldnt make no difference...lol