SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by o2manyfish
I also got the Mods4Cars module. Thought it was s cool toy but pricey. But then when I saw I can disble the stoplight on/off it was a no brainer. I hate that feeling of the car dying.
About the Mods4Cars Eco On/Off function:

I bought and installed their module, although like you I thought it was overpriced. You can buy an OBD module on eBay for $160 that handles On/Off, but the SmartTop module also has some other functions that I really like, such as one-touch seat memory, so I went ahead with it.

HOWEVER, it only turns Eco On/Off off at startup. And I found out that after startup, if you change drive modes at any time, such as Comfort to Sport, the ECO comes back ON, and you have to turn it off again manually. Even if you then go from Sport back to Comfort, it again come back on. For me this really limits the utility of it. I wanted it off permanently under all conditions. I contacted them with this info and they were not aware of this behavior. They are trying to correct the problem and are looking for someone to test new software on, but I wasn't willing to volunteer. I had a spare OBD module and had already installed that as well, which works perfectly.

The OBD module modifies COMAND to set Eco On/Off to the "last selected" state. So if you manually turn it off once it stays off all the time, regardless of drive mode changes, and does not come back on when you restart the car. If you want it back on just use the console button. To revert back to factory state just run the OBD module set-up a second time.

So if you are only concerned with Start/Stop you might consider the OBD module as the best and least expensive way to go. If you want the other functions SmartTop has to offer keep in mind how it currently handles Start/Stop.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by o2manyfish
I'm hoping to do the install tomorrow. Spent my last few years at UCSB mamaging an audiophile store for both home and car. Hoping my fat 50 year old body can squeeze into the back seat long enough to make the connecrions.

Planned upgrade for tomorrow is the Alpine Amp for the rears and an Audio Cobtrol preamp or preamp with eq. Im setting it up to add the JBL sub if needed.

I also got the Mods4Cars module. Thought it was s cool toy but pricey. But then when I saw I can disble the stoplight on/off it was a no brainer. I hate that feeling of the car dying.

Its going to be 95 today. If the weather drops tomorrow then hopefully will have a positive post in the evening.

Dave B
FYI, when Best Buy installed my Alpine amp. they were able to accomplish the entire job from the trunk only. They accessed the power and the leads to all speakers from the trunk - in layman's language, they have spliced the Front Right speaker feed with the Rear Right and did the same with the Left Front & rear. The only drawback (to some, but I am completely happy with it) is the front & rear balance was set on the Alpine unit while I was sitting in the front seat with the doors closed. Just saying, there is a simple alternative available, rather than tearing apart all the interior panels. I can still adjust the front & rear balance but it is cumbersome. Sound quality is 100% better than the OEM setup.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
SL450
Fun, does your SL have the HK or the B&O stereo.

With the HK (which I have) I was told by MB that the amplifier is under the storage box behind the back seat.

So all wires should be right there. From my reading, and searching the MB WIS - it seems the B&O upgrade has a different amplifier which is in the trunk.

MB has a video on how to get to the amplifier behind the seat, and the video makes it look pretty easy. I am going to start with the back seat and see how it goes.

Thanks for sharing your experience(s) - greatly appreciated.

Dave B
Old 10-21-2019, 06:38 PM

2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Mine is the B&O. You may be able to do the same speaker splice at the storage box.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
1986 560SL, 2017 E300, 2018 Sl550, 2020 E350
For o2manyfish,

See my Steve sl550 posts above from 4/8/2019 4:28PM and 4/8/2019 10:21 PM for details and pics of my install with the AMP ect under the "smugglers box" and F & R + default sw in the rear center console under the sliding cover.

Steve
Old 10-23-2019, 08:51 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
SL450

I did the amp install today, smarter guy probably wouldn't have chosen a day when it's over 100 degrees, and you work in his driveway.

The install is not that big a deal, and isn't that difficult - Just a few of the steps take some courage.

You only need 2 tools to take everything apart.

These are just a few photos from today. I will put together a new thread with step by step photos of how you can tackle this project.

Total time for this project was just over 3 hours. If I had a couple of extra parts on hand I think this job could be done in about 2 hours.

I also made my install more complicated. I added the Alpine KTP-445U Amp, and I also added the Audio Control LC2 unit. I spoke with a couple of different high-end install places and the Audio Control is a much better High-Level to Low-Level pre-amp. I also took the time to install a new fuse in the rear fuse box just for the components I added to the car.

I also prewired everything to add the JBL subwoofer if I choose without having a take anything apart.

The amp is a huge bump up in the stereo system of the car. When I pulled the back panels out I was really disappointed with the speakers in the rear. I'm going to do some research and looking into dropping a pair of component speakers in back. The rear panels are already fitted with speaker and tweeter mounts, so it shouldn't be a big deal. And removing the speaker panels doesn't require taking much apart.
The following 2 users liked this post by o2manyfish:
Dino333 (01-04-2020), Gabebey (07-07-2021)
Old 10-23-2019, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
To steal a quote from the film Apollo 13: You, sir are a steely-eyed missile man!
Old 10-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Hi o2many,

I agree the R231s really need this type fix. So much better than the factory!
I do not find (for my ears) that my install would sound any better with a rear sub or additional component speakers (others that have heard the set up tend to agree) but, of course that is subjective; what is in my 2018 sounds great as it is with the set up as described below but, the ability to adjust F to R fade depending on what is being played or listened to for me is a must and why I added this feature.

I used a KTA450 (slightly better freq performance and power output than the KTP445U but, I suspect it isn't noticeable) and an AX MLOC 725 Line Level Converter both mounted under the "smugglers box" so nothing shows when the cover is opened.

Mounted 2 power rheostats for fader control (F to R balance) and a sw to factory default if I want to go back and forth from Alpine to the factory in rear center console compartment under the roll top where the bottle storage holder originally went still leaving plenty of space behind the control panel for storage.

See my 4/8 posts in trail with pics ect

Other members will really appreciate the step by step walk through you will be posting I'm sure.

As everyone says "can't understand how MB ever let the R231 out like it is".

BTW....how did you get away without using a LLC (line level converter)?
Wondered why you used the LC2 but, guess if you are going to add a sub you need this, oh yes and it functions as your LLC as well....I get it...I didn't need an LC2 as I'm not using a sub!

Last edited by steve sl550; 10-23-2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-16-2019, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 sl 550, 2011 mini, 2014 MV Agusta F3 800, 2007 HD Electra Glide
Wow - glad to hear of a local fix. I finally had time to read this entire thread thinking throughout that BB in the Tampa area won’t be able. Your experience, albeit two years old now, gives me hope and I will be making the venture to BB. Again, thanks to you and everyone who has paved the way to fix the issue. My wife’s Lexus has an HK system and it sounds infinitely better than my Sl550 - that will soon change.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 AM

2015 sl 550, 2011 mini, 2014 MV Agusta F3 800, 2007 HD Electra Glide
SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!

Wow - glad to hear of a local fix. I finally had time to read this entire thread thinking throughout that BB in the Tampa area won’t be able. Your experience, albeit two years old now, gives me hope and I will be making the venture to BB. Again, thanks to you and everyone who has paved the way to fix the issue. My wife’s Lexus has an HK system and it sounds infinitely better than my Sl550 - that will soon change.

Last edited by Stleith; 11-16-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12-13-2019, 12:54 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
Hey Guys...Please forgive me if this has been previously answered, if it has I overlooked the reply somehow. To those with the HK system who have added the Alpine amp to the rear speakers: does it affect the surround sound for DVD movie playback? I drive long distances to vacation in the Keys, New Orleans, and Texas. Along the route, I pull over for breaks periodically and like to play a movie while resting. I know most of you probably don't play movies in your SL. The sound in audio mode is lackluster, but when playing a DVD movie the sound is awesome. I presume I would either want to have a bypass switch installed with the amp or simply switch on 'passthrough' mode, if the amp has such a feature. Thanks for your feedback!
Old 12-13-2019, 09:03 PM

Hucknfrex

I did install a switch to default to factory:

My fix mounted 2 power rheostats for fader control (F to R balance) and a sw to factory default if I want to go back and forth from Alpine to the factory in rear center console compartment under the roll top where the bottle storage holder originally went still leaving plenty of space behind the control panel for storage.

See my 4/8/2019 posts in trail with pics ect

Steve
Old 12-14-2019, 03:15 AM

2013 SL63 AMG
Steve...

Thanks so much for the date of your other post on this. Your setup looks awesome! Do you happen to know where you bought the potentiometers and the toggle sw and a ballpark idea about their cost? Honestly, I don't really get the whole rear roll-back storage area, so utilizing it for the amp controls is perfectly fine for me. My previous MB was a 2009 r230 SL550 which had dual real storage compartments behind each seat, which I feel made much more sense than the roll back compartment, not to mention how I miss the hidden storage compartments in the doors. On a side note, I noticed the sound from the rear on my SL550 was much clearer to me, but then again the speakers near the top deck were mounted vertically, facing forward to the driver at about ear-level, whereas the r231 SL63's are mounted horizontally on the deck facing the sky. Somehow I think MB could make the current speaker bar rotate forward 90-degrees like the old 'roll-bar' so that the speakers were aimed directly at the occupants' ears. But, I digress.

I am quite a capable DIY-er, especially with anything electrical, but with something like this I would rather pay the Master Installer at BB to do it, if I have one in my area. The last thought I have on this is how, if at all, adding this amp will affect my CPO warranty. I have a service appt at my MB dealer on Monday and will speak to my service tech about his thoughts on this before actually diving in.

Again, many thanks for the assistance and info, both are greatly appreciated.!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:43 AM

Hucknfrex

My reply to your questions here: 1)"I love your installation." THANKS, me too. 2)"Is there a separate potentiometer for the left and right rear deck speakers or do the potentiometers control the front to rear left and right channels?" Front pot controls all front speakers volume, rear pot controls all rear speakers volume. All OEM command control of sound, bass, treble and balance retained. O/I rocker sw between front and rear pot to reset to factory default if desired . Installation required the following: a) Alpine KTA-450 50W X 4 Power Pack Amp b) 2 L Pad Volume Controls (the large pots vs small ones selected to insure they handle the current generated) c) 8 relays to allow isolation when changing to and from factory default set up d) AX-MLOC725 AXXESS line level converter 150 watt e) wiring and misc hardware for mounting and PVC to match MB interior for pot and sw mounting (note how all the wiring is braided for easy ID and dressed alongside the OEM wiring all under the storage box with no wiring exposed) 3)"Do all your steering wheel controls still operate as OEM or has any of their functions changed as a result of the modifications you made?" Steering wheel controls as well as command "sound" control remains as OEM 4)"Is the panel with the potentiometers permanently installed or friction fitted in the console?" Panel with the pots and sw fabbed from PVC to match interior plastic and cut/trimmed/bent formed to fit snug in the forward space that holds the removable bottle holder that I never use (bottle/large cup holder easily snaps out and the panel assembly sits over forward lip and friction fit at rear STILL offering storage space of approx 5X5 at rear of the pot/switch assembly. 5)"Would really appreciate any other details of your modifications; anything you would add, delete or change if you had it to do again?" Hard for me to not always want to impove something but, in this case I'm totally happy. Hope this helps.
Regards, Steve
Old 01-04-2020, 10:49 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Originally Posted by Hucknfrex
Hey Guys...Please forgive me if this has been previously answered, if it has I overlooked the reply somehow. To those with the HK system who have added the Alpine amp to the rear speakers: does it affect the surround sound for DVD movie playback? I drive long distances to vacation in the Keys, New Orleans, and Texas. Along the route, I pull over for breaks periodically and like to play a movie while resting. I know most of you probably don't play movies in your SL. The sound in audio mode is lackluster, but when playing a DVD movie the sound is awesome. I presume I would either want to have a bypass switch installed with the amp or simply switch on 'passthrough' mode, if the amp has such a feature. Thanks for your feedback!
DVDINMOTION.com
Old 01-04-2020, 10:51 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Has anyone done any of these upgrades with installers in Austin San Antonio or Houston?It looks like this needs some research and knowing what you want out of the system before you embark on anything. There are at least 5 solutions in this thread...
But looking for an experienced shop that will do it right in Texas.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 AM

2016 Sl-400
Couldn't find "fader"

I was able to follow your instructions and get all the way to the surround and fade option. I selected it by pushing down on the controller. I exited and went back to the normal audio screen. I went into the sound menu expecting to see a fade option. However I still only saw the balance option. Once I'm at the surround and fade option in the engineering menu what must I do to enable the fade.

Originally Posted by jakepratt
This totally worked for me. Turn on the car to Accessory (don't start), then hold the red End Call, 1 and # keys on the command system at the same time for around 5-10 seconds. Its controlled by the main controller (scroll to change values on a page, slide to go to next page, press down to select.) On my SL400, the option for fade was in HW Settings...HU Parameters (if I remember correctly) on about page 12-13 (of 18). Enabling "Surround and Fade" let me balance the sound better and get a good sound fill. Definitely will have to listen to this for a few weeks before I commit to an amplifier...might be enough to improve the sound a lot.

I am curious if there is a doc with the various settings.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:03 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
2018 SL 450, 2019 Volvo XC40
Hate to be a wet blanket, but I think in another thread it was generally agreed that the ability to access the Fader control was eliminated in facelift (MY2017+) models.

# # #

Ugh, never mind -- ignore me. I just realized you said you were able to access the engineering menu, so my comment is irrelevant. Sorry.

Last edited by John Dietrich; 04-01-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
‘15 SL550, ‘18 M5, ‘76 Eldorado
All I have to say is that whomever of you researched and came up with the engineering menu enabling of the balance\fader is a genius. Shout out to Eddie45 for his pics of the menus. Worked like a charm on my newly acquired 2015 SL550. You all could probably sympathize with my disappointment with the front only crappy sound and then initially seeing on these forums that it was a design issue and not me just not knowing how to work things. Completely incomprehensible that the fader function actually exists there but is so elusive. Even more unimaginable is the difference such an easy fix made and yet MB remains so unwilling to at least enable the feature whenever complaints are made. I may be no sound expert, but the sound quality difference after enabling the fader is huge, with no downside. This at least makes the listening \driving experience 1000 times more pleasurable and, for me, brings it to a point where I can live with it over modifying the car or going through the stress of having it all taken apart for an add on amp. Thanks again, guys.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marco545:
Bitbytr (02-26-2023), eddieo45 (04-29-2020), rmorin49 (04-28-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 312 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Originally Posted by Marco545
All I have to say is that whomever of you researched and came up with the engineering menu enabling of the balance\fader is a genius. Shout out to Eddie45 for his pics of the menus. Worked like a charm on my newly acquired 2015 SL550. You all could probably sympathize with my disappointment with the front only crappy sound and then initially seeing on these forums that it was a design issue and not me just not knowing how to work things. Completely incomprehensible that the fader function actually exists there but is so elusive. Even more unimaginable is the difference such an easy fix made and yet MB remains so unwilling to at least enable the feature whenever complaints are made. I may be no sound expert, but the sound quality difference after enabling the fader is huge, with no downside. This at least makes the listening \driving experience 1000 times more pleasurable and, for me, brings it to a point where I can live with it over modifying the car or going through the stress of having it all taken apart for an add on amp. Thanks again, guys.
I agree 100%. I sincerely appreciate the folks on this forum who provide assistance for all of us. Activating the rear sound does make a significant improvement. Many thanks!!
The following 3 users liked this post by rmorin49:
Bitbytr (06-18-2023), eddieo45 (04-29-2020), TennesseeZ4 (04-29-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:13 PM

Mercedes-Benz 2020 SL 450, 2016 GLE 400, 2006 E350
I just bought a 2020 SL450 and MB still hasn't fixed the problem. I'm feeling a bit put off that the solution is outside of MB. I spent too much money for this car to have BB doing something that should have been stock with this car. I really started getting PO'd when I read that this an issue for much older models than mine!!!
WTF MERCEDES-BENZ!!
Old 05-01-2020, 05:18 PM

Mercedes-Benz 2020 SL 450, 2016 GLE 400, 2006 E350
I just bought a 2020 SL450 and MB still hasn't fixed the problem. I'm feeling a bit put off that the solution is outside of MB. I spent too much money for this car to have BB doing something that should have been stock with this car. I really started getting PO'd when I read that this an issue for much older models than mine!!!
WTF MERCEDES-BENZ!!
Old 05-01-2020, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Viewstyle
WTF MERCEDES-BENZ!!
Welcome to the club! Actually, congratulations on your SL450 purchase--please post photos--but welcome to the club of UNHAPPY music listeners who drive these cars. The problem was designed into the car in 2013, when the first R231 rolled off the assembly line. MB KNEW they had a problem with the audio system IN 2013, but they did virtually NOTHING to fix it, all the way through the model run, right up through the building of the last 2020. I have long felt that a class action lawsuit should be brought against MB for knowing about this problem and doing nothing about it for SEVEN frigging years, but it is probably way past the point for that. Some here have had the Best Buy $300.00 fix done and are happy with it. Others have spent $4,000.00+ to have their systems brought up to about where they SHOULD have been starting in 2014. I am still procrastinating about a fix as I am freaked out about anyone removing my interior panels. Oh well. First world problem.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:20 PM

2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Angry Would be so easy

Originally Posted by Viewstyle
WTF MERCEDES-BENZ!!
This would probably be a $25 (I'm probably way high) fix if it were done OEM on the assembly line. It's incomprehensible MB management is unaware of this problem on their showcase Sports Luxury car. One can only conclude MB could care less about their customers.
Old 05-01-2020, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 422 Likes on 312 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
What I don't understand is why the rear speaker(s) aren't enabled along with a fader adjustment. I agree the quality of the system isn't very good but why install a speaker and then disable it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: SL550 back speakers PROBLEM SOLVED!