SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.

After a six month wait, I finally got a call from the dealership on Tuesday, to tell me that my car had just been offloaded at their facility, and I could pick it up the next (yesterday) day. It certainly was a very long wait, considering that the car had been promised to me by "mid-March." So with baited breath, and my wife by my side, yesterday, we made the 70 mile drive down to the dealership.

The car was sitting right out in front of the showroom, with the top off, of course, and it just looked wonderful. I wanted to say hello to our salesman, and get my wife situated in the waiting room, so we went immediately inside. We chatted with the salesman for a few minutes, and I excused myself, to return to check out the car. The very first thing I noticed was that it had the WRONG SEATS! I had ordered upgraded seats, and the ones in the car were the basic ones. Back inside I went.

The salesman and I discussed the problem and apparently, there was only two options: 1) Order a new car, with the associated wait; or 2) take the car as it was. After much anticipation, and much dreaming about driving it this summer, to receive the car this way was lousy. After much thought I decided to take the car as it was. I wasn't happy, and told the salesman. To make matters worse, he offered me a set of winter floor mats, to compensate for the issue. I held my tongue and signed all required paperwork, and we were on our way home in the new car, having sold the E550 Cab to the dealer.

Today I received an email from the sales manager, letting me know that I should expect a customer satisfaction survey from Mercedes Benz, and if I was unable to give the dealership a sterling recommendation, would I please call him to discuss, before I filled out the survey. Loaded for bear, I called him today, only to get his voice mail. I simply left a message, telling him I had called in relation to his email of yesterday, and would he please call back. So far, I've not heard from him.

So, I'm done with my rant. What would you guys have done, in my place?
Old 05-06-2017, 03:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL500 R231 - S400D W222 - C63S
Totally unacceptable. I would have left the car on the lot and ask them to order the correct seats (I am sure its possible to replace seats).
Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I would have refused the car and ordered another.
I would not pay 100k+ for a automobile and not get what I ordered.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 05-06-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
You could still return the car if you want. I wouldn't custom-order a car and then not get what I want.

1. If you ordered the exclusive nappa and got the regular nappa upgrade, that could be ok. If you ordered nappa and got the base leather, I would refuse it.

2. Also, a quick check on nation-wide inventory might reveal that there is a car with your exact specs out there (or better). If so, have the dealer pull the car from another dealer to eliminate the wait.
You could check with another mb dealer to do that search to make sure it actually happens.
Please post your window sticker or config to see how unique the car is.

3. Make sure That you tell them in no uncertain terms that you will rate them poorly. This will cost them actual money and they will be motivated to assist you in getting what you want.

4. You might want to share your deal/discounts for feedback as this error should allow you for a significant discount in case you decide to keep the car. Floor mats are laughable...

5. Don't settle for less than you want. After all, the interior is what you experience everytime you sit in the car!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG S63 Cabrio
I agree with Wolfman
Old 05-06-2017, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by rogersar
I agree with Wolfman
Me too!
Old 05-06-2017, 10:55 AM

2017 SL450
Thanks guys. I should hear from the sales manager today. I'll let you know the results.

I've edited this post because I just talked with the sales manager.

Apparently, the salesman who placed the order, made a mistake and listed the basic leather, instead of the upgraded leather. To make matters worse, he retired shortly after my transaction, and to make matters even worse, the company changed ownership, a few months ago. It was a family owned business for 50 years, until this past February.

Anyway, they are willing to take the car back, but, in truth, I've been waiting for this for a very long time, and don't want to not have it for the good weather upcoming. We've discussed three options: 1) do a nationwide search, looking for the exact car. If it's found, do a straight swap; 2) call MB (Germany) and find out if they can exchange the seats; 3) if the first two options fail, which I believe they will, have the dealership pick up all maintenance, for the duration of the three year lease.

The first two options would make me happiest, but I don't expect that they'll come to fruition. The third option, won't address the seats, but will dull the pain of not having exactly what I wanted. He (sales manager) said he'd get back to me, early next week. The thing is that I know I'll get used to these seats, which really aren't bad, over time. So, I'm hoping for the best, but the worst isn't really all that bad either. It's amazing how the mind can compensate.

Here's a copy of the build sheet for my specific car.

Here's some photos I took today. The last one is of the interior of my E550. Hope you enjoy them.
Attached Thumbnails The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2077.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2078.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2079.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2081.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2082.jpg  

The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2083.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-img_2085.jpg   The wait is over! My new SL450 arrived.-dsc01128-copy-.jpg  

Last edited by jetjok; 05-06-2017 at 10:37 PM. Reason: To add some photos
Old 05-06-2017, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will be curious as to what the dealership does to help you out.

I gather that once you sign the papers and drive a car off the lot you have accepted it as is and are the legal owner unless you have something in writing stating the car was not acceptable, but hopefully I am wrong. I am not a lawyer but I do play one on tv! 😀
Old 05-06-2017, 05:38 PM

2019 E53 Cabriolet, 2021 E53 Sedan
There are four interior levels; you have the second level......really not all that bad but I understand it was not what you ordered
Old 05-07-2017, 01:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pfelsen
There are four interior levels; you have the second level......really not all that bad but I understand it was not what you ordered
There are only 3. Basic leather, nappa and exclusive nappa. Designo is the same leather as exclusive nappa; just different color choices.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:57 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jetjok
Thanks guys. I should hear from the sales manager today. I'll let you know the results.

I've edited this post because I just talked with the sales manager.

Apparently, the salesman who placed the order, made a mistake and listed the basic leather, instead of the upgraded leather. To make matters worse, he retired shortly after my transaction, and to make matters even worse, the company changed ownership, a few months ago. It was a family owned business for 50 years, until this past February.

Anyway, they are willing to take the car back, but, in truth, I've been waiting for this for a very long time, and don't want to not have it for the good weather upcoming. We've discussed three options: 1) do a nationwide search, looking for the exact car. If it's found, do a straight swap; 2) call MB (Germany) and find out if they can exchange the seats; 3) if the first two options fail, which I believe they will, have the dealership pick up all maintenance, for the duration of the three year lease.

The first two options would make me happiest, but I don't expect that they'll come to fruition. The third option, won't address the seats, but will dull the pain of not having exactly what I wanted. He (sales manager) said he'd get back to me, early next week. The thing is that I know I'll get used to these seats, which really aren't bad, over time. So, I'm hoping for the best, but the worst isn't really all that bad either. It's amazing how the mind can compensate.

Here's a copy of the build sheet for my specific car.

Here's some photos I took today. The last one is of the interior of my E550. Hope you enjoy them.
I am not quite sure but the headrests look like base leather, not like nappa listed on the build sheet. Just confirming...

Be interesting to see what the nation-wide search shows. This doesn't appear to be that difficult to match.
Also, don't take his word for it. Have him print out all selenite gray SL450's in the country.

Also, you don't have to share if you don't like but what kind of discount did you get? Good thing that they confirmed they will take the car back.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-07-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 AM

2019 E53 Cabriolet, 2021 E53 Sedan
I was going by the DOG which lists four different interior levels....never looked that carefully to compare "level 3" with "level 4" in that it was just a different choice of colors. Big cost difference between the two so I assumed it was an upgraded leather.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 SL450; 2012 Porsche Cayenne Turbo; 2005 Lexus SC430
I'm curious why you chose poplar over black ash. That wood trim choice will make finding an SL 450 replacement for you quite challenging.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM

2017 SL450
Jonathan,

I had black ash on my 2011 E350 Cabriolet and decided I wanted a change. I like the poplar.

And, according to the sales manager, there are no cars that are even close to identical to the one I ordered, here in the US.

Last edited by jetjok; 05-09-2017 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A quick trip to the paint department at Home Depot will find you the proper stain color for your SL.
They can match just about anything!
Old 05-09-2017, 08:33 PM

2017 SL450
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
A quick trip to the paint department at Home Depot will find you the proper stain color for your SL.
They can match just about anything!
Thanks! I appreciate your help.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:48 PM

2017 SL450
Just a quick update on my seats situation. It's been a week and I've been waiting to hear from the sales manager, as to what we had discussed. I received an email from him today, saying that he's looked throughout the country and there's not one SL, with the options I ordered, in a nappa red interior. As well, he's talked with MB Germany, through his regional guy, and apparently the issue of swapping out interiors is somewhat problematic. He did tell me that the dealership is going to pick up all maintenance costs for the duration of my 3 year lease. As well, he apologized for the confusion and inconvenience, and of course mentioned that he'd like me to stay a loyal customer. I sort of feel bad for him, because he wasn't even employed there when the car was ordered. So, I guess I'll just live with the basic leather seats, and enjoy the fact that when the car needs service, they will send someone to my house, which is 70 miles from the dealership, leave me a loaner, and bring my car to the dealership for maintenance, then return it. All free of charge. I'd rather have the seats I ordered, but this will work out. So, thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I look forward to a great summer, cruising the Porsche roads, here in the North East, with the new car.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Sir, you are "glass half full" type of fellow and all I can say is that I am envious. Enjoy your new car and have fun!
Old 05-12-2017, 11:03 PM

2017 SL450
Streamliner, as I said in an earlier post, the mind is amazing in how it can compensate. Hopefully, I'll get over the disappointment. Only time will tell. Best regards.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Get out and enjoy the car - I've had mine a month now and am extremely happy with it.
The following users liked this post:
jetjok (05-15-2017)