SL/R231: CL/S coupe vs. SL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aston Martin DB9
CL/S coupe vs. SL550

Hi all,
I'm in the market for a grand tourer and I'm after one thing, comfort. I've got an Aston Martin DB9 and it's a blast to drive but after an hour my back feels like garbage. I've been in the military a long time and it's taken its toll on the body. I'd like a 2 door that is comfortable. I don't have family so I could care less about passenger room. I've never owned a Mercedes so I don't really know what to look for. Not looking to buy new, but don't want anything older than 8 years.

I've done a ton of reading about Mercedes but most people are concerned with speed and performance, no one really dicusses what's the most comfortable. I've also considered the Bentley GT, but they're kind of common now a day and I'm not sure I like them.

​​​​​​I'm planning to go drive them all but I want to choose a few select models before I go.

Input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:40 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
R231 SL550
Smile

Either of the SL AMG models with active body control would probably suit you very well - they're very comfortable but fast when you want/need it; the SL63 is probably the better of the two and much less expensive than the SL65.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:47 PM

Aston Martin DB9
Originally Posted by CCOOK
Either of the SL AMG models with active body control would probably suit you very well - they're very comfortable but fast when you want/need it; the SL63 is probably the better of the two and much less expensive than the SL65.
What's the difference of the chassis basis between the CL and the SL? I looked at the CLS 550 and I think that's based on an E class chassis, which is less than what I'd want.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
R231 SL550
Originally Posted by SinisterSF
What's the difference of the chassis basis between the CL and the SL? I looked at the CLS 550 and I think that's based on an E class chassis, which is less than what I'd want.
The CLS is a mid-size sedan (there used to be a CL model that was a large coupe but the S-class coupe seems to have taken its place), and the SL is a large two-seater with a retractable hard-top - basically a German corvette.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:03 PM

Aston Martin DB9
Originally Posted by CCOOK
The CLS is a mid-size sedan (there used to be a CL model that was a large coupe but the S-class coupe seems to have taken its place), and the SL is a large two-seater with a retractable hard-top - basically a German corvette.
Hopefully more comfortable than a vette. I've had a few of those, fun, but not comfortable at all. I think I'll go by the dealership and give the SL and the S coupe a spin.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,419 Likes on 1,948 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
If comfort is your thing, as it is mine, go for the S Class. I have a 2015 S550 sedan and it is the most comfortable car I have ever owned. The S Coupe is probably close. I also have a 2013 SL550, for when I need that top down experience. It is also comfortable, but not nearly in the same class as the S550. If you can only have one, go for the S Class. Also, I would stay away from cars that are out of warranty. These luxo sleds can be VERY expensive to keep in tip top condition.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The S-Class coupe will definitely be the more luxurious and comfier ride but the SL with ABC suspension will also work well.

Definitely stay with the 550 model; the 63 transmission shifts will be harsher and likely not what you want.

Either way, both cars are faster that the Aston Martin; you'll miss the sound but get lots of torque instead
Old 05-12-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Why not S Cabrio?
Old 05-12-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 AMG S63 Cabrio
for myself i would not want a S class because of how large they are-for not having a family the SL is perfect for 1 or 2 people and being a Mercedes it is very comfortable-maybe a little lower (harder to get into)
Old 05-14-2017, 09:58 PM

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts
ML350 BLUE TEC
I had a 2011 CL550 and it beats the SL550 I have now, for comfort, hands down. If I were you I'd get a 2014 CL (very hard to find imho) or a 2015 plus S Coupe (I'm looking for one).

The SL550 foot room sucks big time. Go drive a XK Jaguar and compare the two. No contest. The Jag wins. It matters if you drive hundreds of miles at a time. I have to put boat slippers on to get my feet comfortabe in the SL. Plus the seat will not let the seat back tilt enough rearwards in the SL. If you tilt it back..........it will cause the seat to move fwd to make room for the seat back to tilt back.......which results in cramped legs and nowhere to put the shoes.

The CL550 had none of the above 'problems'. Plus it had acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front doors. Quiet as can be on the interstates or anywhere else. They say the S COUPE is even quieter.

The run flat tires on my 2013 are noisy. The only saving feature is I can now put a ORU Kayak in the trunk since there's no spare tire. Unlike the 2009 I had that had a spare tire.

Gonna toss the '13 SL asap and get something else.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
17 SL550 (Designo Edition), 08 C300, 13 Mini Cooper, 17 Macan GTS, 18 720s
I had a 2009 DB9 Volante and while I can say it won in the looks and exclusivity dept., the ride was less than "GT" and the service costs were "Ferrari-esk." The other issue for me was the limited service network, in So Cal where I live, not so much an issue, but leaving the area on a road trip always caused a bit of pause...Anyways, sold the DB9 in 2012, road out an E Class lease for a year and jumped into a 2013 SL550. Drove that for two years, got another SL550 in 2015...my two cents, the SL is far more comfortable, pulls like a freight train and has the reliability of a Toyota. Will I get a 2018 when this lease is up? likely...but will take a hard look at the S Cab...or perhaps a GTC.

Good luck, M-B make as great car, many choices.

MB
Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 AM

ML350 BLUE TEC
Thanks above for the mention of what a DB9 drives like. DB9's are the best looking cars made imho......but if they aren't comfortable enough to drive on the interstates for hours on end at a time......fer git it. That's a shame.

Maybe that's why when I visit the Aston Martin Dallas site, the used ones have such low milage on them. Like the 2010 Aston Martin DBS on their site with but 14K miles on it.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 913 Likes on 601 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by HAILERS2
I had a 2011 CL550 and it beats the SL550 I have now, for comfort, hands down. If I were you I'd get a 2014 CL (very hard to find imho) or a 2015 plus S Coupe (I'm looking for one).

The SL550 foot room sucks big time. Go drive a XK Jaguar and compare the two. No contest. The Jag wins. It matters if you drive hundreds of miles at a time. I have to put boat slippers on to get my feet comfortabe in the SL. Plus the seat will not let the seat back tilt enough rearwards in the SL. If you tilt it back..........it will cause the seat to move fwd to make room for the seat back to tilt back.......which results in cramped legs and nowhere to put the shoes.

The CL550 had none of the above 'problems'. Plus it had acoustic laminated glass for the windshield and front doors. Quiet as can be on the interstates or anywhere else. They say the S COUPE is even quieter.

The run flat tires on my 2013 are noisy. The only saving feature is I can now put a ORU Kayak in the trunk since there's no spare tire. Unlike the 2009 I had that had a spare tire.

How tall are you? I am 6' tall and in my 2017 SL, with the seat back, have about 4" from my right foot to the pedals. You must be 6'6" tall or have very long legs....
Old 05-15-2017, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
How tall are you? I am 6' tall and in my 2017 SL, with the seat back, have about 4" from my right foot to the pedals. You must be 6'6" tall or have very long legs....
I'm 6'1" and have plenty of leg/head room in the SL. Still, after driving it around for a few hours and then getting in the S550, there is a substantial difference. I love my SL550, but if I'm going somewhere more than a couple of hours away, I'll take the big S.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
We have a very high end dealership, here in Connecticut, Miller Motorcars, which sells all the high end brands, from RR, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, etc. When I was deciding which car to buy, I visited their many showrooms, I was interested in a few-year old Aston Martin, as I didn't want to spend upwards of $150K on a new one. I decided against it, after talking with one of their salespeople, because it seems that no one drives those cars very much, and the cost of maintenance is unbelievable. As an example, they told me that you can extend the original warranty, up to 10 years from the date of manufacturer, but at a cost of $8500 a year. I thought that was ridiculous, based on the fact that most Aston drivers, drive them less than 3000 miles a year. I wanted a car that was reliable, that could basically be driven all year long. The SL fits that bill for me.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jetjok
We have a very high end dealership, here in Connecticut, Miller Motorcars, which sells all the high end brands, from RR, Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari, McLaren, Bugatti, etc. When I was deciding which car to buy, I visited their many showrooms, I was interested in a few-year old Aston Martin, as I didn't want to spend upwards of $150K on a new one. I decided against it, after talking with one of their salespeople, because it seems that no one drives those cars very much, and the cost of maintenance is unbelievable. As an example, they told me that you can extend the original warranty, up to 10 years from the date of manufacturer, but at a cost of $8500 a year. I thought that was ridiculous, based on the fact that most Aston drivers, drive them less than 3000 miles a year. I wanted a car that was reliable, that could basically be driven all year long. The SL fits that bill for me.
Even though I have owned many new and used cars, I have never ventured into any of these brands, other than a brief experience with a new 1987 RR Corniche convertible. However, as of late--based almost entirely on my unhappiness with current MB color combinations--I have been looking at Bentley, Ferrari, etc. However, when I heard of what can only be called INSANE maintenance/repair/extended warranty costs, I have come to the conclusion that these marques, for the most part, are merely purveyors of vehicles that say "mine is bigger than yours."

Even though I can afford one, when the logical side of my brain kicks in, I realize that most MB, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Jaguar & Lexus vehicles are absolute bargains, when compared to pretty much anything that is considered "exotic." Then, when I am completely honest with myself, I have to say that the SL does virtually EVERYTHING better than any of these exotics, with the exception of performance on a track, which is something I have zero interest in experiencing.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

You are comparing Apples and oranges.
A large s-class coupe (which the CL was) to a 2 door convertible are not the same thing. I am 6'3" and haven't had problems you described in the last 4 generation SL's. Also had a CL. These cars are more cushy and quieter. That said, the exhaust of the S-Class coupe is considerably louder than the CL. You might want to test drive one first.

Also, keep in mind that run flats will also be installed on the 2015+ S-Class Coupe and no spare, so the issues will be the same. There is a quick fix; just replace with conventional tires.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-15-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:21 PM

Aston Martin DB9
Thanks above for the mention of what a DB9 drives like. DB9's are the best looking cars made imho......but if they aren't comfortable enough to drive on the interstates for hours on end at a time......fer git it. That's a shame.

Maybe that's why when I visit the Aston Martin Dallas site, the used ones have such low milage on them. Like the 2010 Aston Martin DBS on their site with but 14K miles on it.
After 45 minutes in my DB9 my knee is killing me, the gas pedal is left of where a normal one would be because the engine and driveline tunnel is so wide. Visually it's not a noticeable thing but after years of knee abuse sitting with it a funny angle is painful. But god yes she's gorgeous, I'm never selling mine, the MB will be an additional car to replace my Cadillac.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:29 PM

Aston Martin DB9
A lot of mention about maintenance costs with all these cars. I do all of my own maintenance, yes, even on my Aston Martin. Unless there's a major computer related issue that can't be serviced with my computer program that I use then I guess I'd go to a dealer. But I keep all of my receipts and maintain a meticulous log of everything I do, brakes, oil, fluids, detailing, leather treatments, battery servicing, even fueling. I don't ever plan on selling my Aston, but if I did I would think a buyer would feel better buying from someone that knows their car inside and out rather than someone who paid a stealership a fortune to give it the "royal treatment", aka rip owners off with 200% markups and carrying out fake or unnecessary repairs.

Just my 2 cents on the ordeal, but if you can tie your shoes, you can change your oil. Easy to learn, especially in this, the age of Google!
Old 05-15-2017, 07:34 PM

Aston Martin DB9
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You are comparing Apples and oranges.
A large s-class coupe (which the CL was) to a 2 door convertible are not the same thing. I am 6'3" and haven't had problems you described in the last 4 generation SL's. Also had a CL. These cars are more cushy and quieter. That said, the exhaust of the S-Class coupe is considerably louder than the CL. You might want to test drive one first.

Also, keep in mind that run flats will also be installed on the 2015+ S-Class Coupe and no spare, so the issues will be the same. There is a quick fix; just replace with conventional tires.
Are the run flats a rubber doughnut around the wheel inside the tire or just super strong sidewalls? I had run flats on my truck that were military style with a big rubber doughnut around the rim, beat the crap out of you over 55mph. Hated them.

I don't mind the louder exhaust notes, I actually prefer it. Long as the seats are comfy and I can go over a bump without really noticing it.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, different strokes, right? I can't remember the last time I changed my own oil--even though I did it hundreds of times, not to mention the overhauls, restorations, etc. Now, I believe that I will always lease it, drive it, enjoy it and then, when 3 or so years old, give it back and repeat. With electronics advancing seemingly every day, some of these high end cars are almost obsolete the day we drive them off the lot. We had all better enjoy these amazing machines while we can.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:08 PM

Aston Martin DB9
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, different strokes, right? I can't remember the last time I changed my own oil--even though I did it hundreds of times, not to mention the overhauls, restorations, etc. Now, I believe that I will always lease it, drive it, enjoy it and then, when 3 or so years old, give it back and repeat. With electronics advancing seemingly every day, some of these high end cars are almost obsolete the day we drive them off the lot. We had all better enjoy these amazing machines while we can.
Fair enough, I'm definitely not in a position to be swapping high end cars regularly so I do my own maintenance to offset the vehicle costs.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:37 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
I totally agree with Streamliner. I don't do a thing on my Mercedes, except take it in, when it tells me that it's time to go for maintenance. On my last E Cab, the only time I opened the hood was to refill the windshield washer fluid container. I find these cars much to complex and I just don't want to learn how to fix them, or buy the tools to do so. That said, I do everything of my '68 Porsche, up to and including having rebuilt the engine. I actually enjoy working on the P car. I couldn't imagine enjoying working on the Benz.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SinisterSF
Are the run flats a rubber doughnut around the wheel inside the tire or just super strong sidewalls? I had run flats on my truck that were military style with a big rubber doughnut around the rim, beat the crap out of you over 55mph. Hated them.

I don't mind the louder exhaust notes, I actually prefer it. Long as the seats are comfy and I can go over a bump without really noticing it.

Run Flats are based only on stronger sidewalls/rubber formula. The side effects is a noisier and slightly harsher ride. MB has done a better job than BMW on ride quality but they don't match conventional tires.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:31 PM

ML350 BLUE TEC
My earlier post comparing XK Jaguar coupe to SL550 was only referring to the foot room. The Jag has room under the pedals to stretch your legs on long drives whereas the SL has no room. It's not comfortable on long drives imho.

As for the louder exaust on a S Coupe vs the CL550 it replaced.....not good news. BUT I noticed this day there's a 2014 CL550 over in Dallas with but 20K on the odometer at .....https://www.autosofdallas.com/?utm_s...edium=referral

So I see a trip to Dallas coming up in the next two days. I do enjoy my SL550 though just in case it sounds I'm alllll negative. My second SL550.