SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: SL65 as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SL400
SL65 as a daily driver?

Stumbled into a stunningly beautiful 2013 SL65 with amazingly low miles. I’ve been driving a 2015 SL400 as a daily driver and it is quite practical. I think the SL400-450 is kind of a sweet spot for practical daily driver.

The SL65 is a refined super car. I have to admit that it seems like too much car for daily commutes and stops at grocery stores.

Anyone drive and put out real miles on one of these beauties in everyday stop-n-go traffic?
Old 11-22-2017, 12:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 SL450
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that, personally, I love seeing exotic and beautiful cars on the road. I always admire them, much like I admire the deer and bear that I sometimes see, walking across my lawn. Besides, these Mercedes are meant to be driven, unlike many other exotic cars. When I was deciding on my SL, I also went and looked at the new Aston Martin. I talked at length with the salesperson, who told me that the majority of AM owners, drove their cars less than 3,000 miles a year. I wanted none of that. If the car isn't built well enough to put on 15 or 20,000 miles a year, I didn't want it. That's why I decided on the SL. So, for what it's worth, I'd suggest you drive that car as much as you can. I'm sure the folks at the drug store or supermarket will love the looks of it, as much as you or I. Best of luck with it.

JJ
Old 11-22-2017, 03:53 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
S65, SL65
Originally Posted by nuketopia
Stumbled into a stunningly beautiful 2013 SL65 with amazingly low miles. I’ve been driving a 2015 SL400 as a daily driver and it is quite practical. I think the SL400-450 is kind of a sweet spot for practical daily driver.

The SL65 is a refined super car. I have to admit that it seems like too much car for daily commutes and stops at grocery stores.

Anyone drive and put out real miles on one of these beauties in everyday stop-n-go traffic?
I have a 13 SL65 that I drive in San Francisco. I love it. Trade on & off with a S550 sedan. Has a great subdued exhaust burble. Just like any other SL except for crazy torque any time you want it. Gas mileage doesn’t seem too bad either. Got 20 mpg driving to Napa.
Its a great machine, subtle, not in anyone’s face yet gives the driver a feeling of unending power.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I've driven my 600 around daily at times, and while the car is well suited to long highway blasts, they perform just fine in daily driver duty.

The best thing for these cars is to be regularly driven, if it's between it sitting parked and being driven around town, drive it. Do try to give it a little exercise from time to time, these cars are designed to cruise the autobahn, they need to see 100+mph from time to time to keep everything working as designed.