SL/R231: Has anyone changed rear pads?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
Has anyone changed rear pads?

I do all of my brake work and have done a lot of MB's. However, this is the newest car I have worked on.

I have a 2014 SL550 with squealing rear brakes. Have a new set of pads and ready to replace.

Is there anything special about a rear brake job on these cars? Does the electronic parking brake have to be retracted (and how) before rear pads replaced? Is there a special tool (my GL needs a 9mm hex)?

All of the new pads come with a set of four new caliper bolts. So even though I'm not replacing rotors, it seems I need to unbolt the calipers on the car. Hopefully at that point I can pry out the pads (they have those metal retaining clips on the back like my GL) and install new, while swapping wear sensors over from the old to new pads.

Just wondering if there are any surprises or differences on this car... can't seem to find anything online and I don't have access to WIS to look it up.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
'10 C300, '15 ML250BT, '22 M850i Vert
Originally Posted by bha
I do all of my brake work and have done a lot of MB's. However, this is the newest car I have worked on.

I have a 2014 SL550 with squealing rear brakes. Have a new set of pads and ready to replace.

Is there anything special about a rear brake job on these cars? Does the electronic parking brake have to be retracted (and how) before rear pads replaced? Is there a special tool (my GL needs a 9mm hex)?

All of the new pads come with a set of four new caliper bolts. So even though I'm not replacing rotors, it seems I need to unbolt the calipers on the car. Hopefully at that point I can pry out the pads (they have those metal retaining clips on the back like my GL) and install new, while swapping wear sensors over from the old to new pads.

Just wondering if there are any surprises or differences on this car... can't seem to find anything online and I don't have access to WIS to look it up.
I believe you are correct in assuming that the brake pad need to be retracted, and I think it has to be done with a scanner like this. https://www.autel.com/autelcms/Profe...ools/559.jhtml
Old 09-26-2018, 11:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
my rear brakes were noisey.
did the pads this morning...30 min job.
you have to switch car on and release autobrake before pads come out was the only "surprise" I had to deal with.
easy job
Old 09-26-2018, 11:40 AM
bha

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
13 GL350, 14 SL550
I have DAS/Star so can retract the pads if necessary..

Spikes - what do you mean by "switch car on and release autobrake?" Is that a menu option somewhere? What is it called?

I have relatively low mileage and the back rotors are good, but the pads squeal like crazy. Turns out there are a few bulletins out by MB saying to inspect and replace rear pads. The factory pads apparently caused all kinds of squeaks. I bought Pagid pads which are apparently OEM so they should fix the problem.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 S63 COUPE
my car has done 1900 miles and mb were not interested.
I did fronts yesterday and still squeeks
did the rears this morning.
after I took calipers loose they would not move..realized emergency/autobrake was on .
switched car on and releases button under dash for manual brake release.
left car switched on and door open until I was done
Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
If your pads aren't worn down at all then just releasing the brake should be fine, but normally you will want to go into the service menu via the cluster or use SDS and retract the E brake. You can do it with just the service menu, then manually squeeze the calipers back in like you would any normal car.
The following users liked this post:
Alex Bel (10-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 161 Likes on 134 Posts
me: 2015 SL400 & 2015 ML400; wife: 2022 GLC Coupe kid: 2017 GLC SUV
Originally Posted by SPIKES
2017 sl63 COUPE
2017 sl63 COUPE??
Old 12-27-2023, 01:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
SL400 Convertible
2015 SL400 R231 brake pad menu?

Hello,

I have a 2015 SL400 and I have been trying to get into the service menu. I turn the car on to accessory mode without my phone near the car and when I hold down dial and OK at the same time nothing happens? I have tried with my foot on and off the brake pedal, with the door open or closed..

Any ideas?

What would I brake if I change the pads without doing this?

Thanks,

David
Old 12-27-2023, 07:51 AM

Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts
2019 SL450; 2023 M850i
Originally Posted by howarddavidp
Hello,

I have a 2015 SL400 and I have been trying to get into the service menu. I turn the car on to accessory mode without my phone near the car and when I hold down dial and OK at the same time nothing happens? I have tried with my foot on and off the brake pedal, with the door open or closed..
Any ideas?
Thanks,
David
What would I brake if I change the pads without doing this?

See attached pdf document. Be sure to pay attention to the 5 second time limit in step #4.
Good luck.

Attached Files
Old 12-27-2023, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500, 2004 Audi TT225
Get a Mercedes-specific scanner, such as iCarsoft MB V3.0, LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ, or Foxwell NT510Elite. Go into the brake module and set the rear brakes to Assembly Position. (Afterwards, you will need to exit that mode.). Also, unlike most other european cars, you DO NOT need to turn the caliper pistons as you push them back into the caliper, but you may need to pop off the Mercedes name plate to fit the spreader tool into the caliper/carrier assembly.

You will be able to scan your car at any time and not rely on others that may not know what they are doing or have the right equipment. On Amazon, they are pretty inexpensive compared to what I've seen them sell for elsewhere. They are small enough to store in your car (such as the fuse compartment in the trunk). Sometimes a code may cause the car to run rough and clearing it will restore normal operation until you get a chance to check it out. (Do
not waste your money on the iCarsoft MB II. It is slower and requires you to check each module for codes. MB V3.0 runs an automatic scan and will identify modules with DTCs so you don't need to check 30 or 40 modules individually.). My personal favorite it the LAUNCH Creader Elite BENZ.

Go to the Electric Parking Brake (EFB) module. Under Actuations, select Move to the assembly position. When done, Deactivate assembly position. This is what it looks like in XENTRY. It will look different, depending on the tool you use.

Last edited by JettaRed; 12-27-2023 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-27-2023, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Or, as @ToeKneee posted elsewhere, "Put key in ignition, turn to first position, use buttons to ensure that the screen shows mileage! Once mileage is shown, then press dial followed by ok. Hope this helps."

Once you are in the service menu, make sure the parking brake is OFF and then proceed. When you are done, you will access the menu again to disable the "Fitting Position" (i.e., Assembly Position).

Old 12-27-2023, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Here is how the rear brake pads are moved into the service position using iCarsoft and LAUNCH Creader.

Using iCarsoft.

Select Electric Parking Brake (EPB) from the list of modules.

Select Actuation Test.

Within the Actuation Test menu, select Move To The Assembly Position. After you complete replacing the brake pads, move out of the Assembly Position.

Using LAUNCH.

Select Special Function

Select Brake Pad Replacement

Follow the instructions, except go to Electric Parking Brake (EPB) instead of Electronic Stability Program.
Old 12-30-2023, 02:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
SL400 Convertible
I finally got it!

Hello,

First off, many thanks to everyone that replied, I really appreciate it.

I will also buy one of those scanners, I like the looks of the iSoft the most, but I will take suggestions if one is better than the other?

Ok, without a scanner, I figured it out myself, and none of the suggestions worked. I always made sure I was on the mileage screen, and in the past it did not work.

So, here is what I did:

#1 Door closed driver side, windows up, I start the car. I use the button, FOB is in my pocket.

#2 Using the button, FOB in my pocket, and my foot NOT on the brake, foot is on the floor, I press the button and stop the car.

Then, everything works as normal. I can press and hold DIAL and OK and it always goes into the menu.

Not sure what is "special" about my car, but if I try any other way, FOB or button, no matter how many turns, etc. it will not go into the menu.

So, start car, foot off break, button to stop car, then hold DIAL & OK together.

I can make a video showing how my car will never go into the menu no matter what accessory mode I enter, with of without the FOB, and always starting from the mileage screen.. This was strange, but at least I found something that worked.

Thanks again to everyone

David

Old 12-30-2023, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by howarddavidp
Hello,

First off, many thanks to everyone that replied, I really appreciate it.

I will also buy one of those scanners, I like the looks of the iSoft the most, but I will take suggestions if one is better than the other?

Ok, without a scanner, I figured it out myself, and none of the suggestions worked. I always made sure I was on the mileage screen, and in the past it did not work.

So, here is what I did:

#1 Door closed driver side, windows up, I start the car. I use the button, FOB is in my pocket.

#2 Using the button, FOB in my pocket, and my foot NOT on the brake, foot is on the floor, I press the button and stop the car.

Then, everything works as normal. I can press and hold DIAL and OK and it always goes into the menu.

Not sure what is "special" about my car, but if I try any other way, FOB or button, no matter how many turns, etc. it will not go into the menu.

So, start car, foot off break, button to stop car, then hold DIAL & OK together.

I can make a video showing how my car will never go into the menu no matter what accessory mode I enter, with of without the FOB, and always starting from the mileage screen.. This was strange, but at least I found something that worked.

Thanks again to everyone

David
Check out this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...onal-more.html