SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Do cars equipped with ABC (2017 on) have lower ride height than non equipped?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
2015 S550 Coup, 2017 Golf R , 2018 BMW M2 (wifes)
Do cars equipped with ABC (2017 on) have lower ride height than non equipped?

I have yet to buy my R231 but one thing about the look of the car that I am not crazy about, is that while it is a low riding car, it is that it is has a very high tire/fender gap and needs to be lowered (That I really dont want to do) and then if it is lowered, without air suspension that can raise the front end, you will drag over a lot of bumps, dips etc..
Does the ABC 'Cure" this- i know you lift the car but does it ride lower to begin with (and looks better lowered of course). That alone would make me buy the ABC (or find a used CPO one with it)
Thanks for the info
Old 03-03-2019, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Dino333
I have yet to buy my R231 but one thing about the look of the car that I am not crazy about, is that while it is a low riding car, it is that it is has a very high tire/fender gap and needs to be lowered (That I really dont want to do) and then if it is lowered, without air suspension that can raise the front end, you will drag over a lot of bumps, dips etc..
Does the ABC 'Cure" this- i know you lift the car but does it ride lower to begin with (and looks better lowered of course). That alone would make me buy the ABC (or find a used CPO one with it)
Thanks for the info
Some SL's on springs have funky ride height. Some look high front/rear, some just on the front or rears. Either way too high. SUV Style Car with ABC was a bit lower but I lowered them either way...

Here are pics of our 3 SL's in stock height. #1 with red interior on springs. #2 & 3 with porcelain interior both on ABC. Still a bit high but acceptable.
Then pics of all three lowered. #1 on springs was a bad move. H&R lowering springs is a touch too low and uncomfortable ride; plus the scrapes as the car height can't be adjusted. #2 & 3 perfect for me; just a little drop...

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-03-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Some SL's on springs have funky ride height. Some look high front/rear, some just on the front or rears. Either way too high. SUV Style Car with ABC was a bit lower but I lowered them either way...

Here are pics of our 3 SL's in stock height. #1 with red interior on springs. #2 & 3 with porcelain interior both on ABC. Still a bit high but acceptable.
Then pics of all three lowered. #1 on springs was a bad move. H&R lowering springs is a touch too low and uncomfortable ride; plus the scrapes as the car height can't be adjusted. #2 & 3 perfect for me; just a little drop...

Gorgeous! Thanks for the info- and yes I think i will put spacers 10mm F/R not much needed - but a slight drop will look so good- Question- with the small drop do you still scrape the road or entering parking lots (SOme are extreme and it will happen anyway) but is it too low for the road conditions? I have an S550 Coupe that I will be trading on this and with the S you can raise the car 2" when there is a question about scraping.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 121 Likes on 86 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman

Looks great! I'm considering doing the same for my SL. Did the ride quality change with the 20s in the rear, and is the speedo still accurate?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

The speedo is accurate even though the diameter is a bit different. Since the wheels are AMG, my assumption is the light difference in rotation is recognized and adjusted for. The speedo is accurate as I have compared it to the highly accurate Draggy.
Ride comfort actually improved with the Michelin PS4s tires over the 19" with run flats.

Btw, the car needs spacers and a light drop (except in Europe where the AMG package drops the car a bit). I use 15mm for the front and 20mm in the rears...
Old 03-05-2019, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
There's an other way to "lower" the car without actually lowering it. I think we had this discussion a couple of years back.

I think R231's body was designed from the beginning to run 1" taller diameter at the back. That is why SL550/450/400 (non-ABC) look so out of proportion front to rear regarding wheel gap when equipped with 18" or 19" wheels - the rear gap is much larger than front. Going to 285/30-20 rear (stock option on SL63/SL65) while keeping 255/35-19 front already improves the balance. Taking it one step further will do even more - 245/35-20 (not sure if 255/35-20 fits) front with 295/30-20 rear or better yet 275/30-21 will significantly reduce the gap to the point that to many (or at least some, like me) lowering with its inherent compromises (for spring suspension, may not apply to ABC, which we know there're very few of) will not be necessary. I have 245/35-20 front and am very happy about it. At rear, 285/30-20 can use some "improvements" - I will put 295/30-20 next (yes, only 3mm over 285/30, but still).
Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 AM

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
...That alone would make me buy the ABC (or find a used CPO one with it)...
I've been searching for a CPO 450 with ABC for quite awhile. I'm no longer sure that I believe such a combination actually exists. At the risk of really bad poetry...unless you go with AMG, you're SOL on ABC!
Old 03-06-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
I've been searching for a CPO 450 with ABC for quite awhile. I'm no longer sure that I believe such a combination actually exists. At the risk of really bad poetry...unless you go with AMG, you're SOL on ABC!
Same here- I have found an SL 550 with it about a month ago but it was nearly 100k - as much as a brand new 450. I want the 450. But I believe I will simply get a CPO 450 have it lowered and add some spacers to the wheels and a rear trunk lid spoiler- will make a great looking car even greater.
Those add ons and install is about $2000-$ 2500 ish
Old 03-06-2019, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,422 Likes on 1,949 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Well, I know there is at least one SL450 with ABC out there—and soon to be at least two! In 2018, my dealer said he could get the car for me in Mars Red. He ordered the car in Iridium Silver with Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa interior, ABC, etc. and said he would get the color changed, yada, yada, yada. A month or so later, he told me no soap on the Mars Red, so I canceled the order. A few months later, he calls to tell me that my SL450 has arrived! He left the order in place and had the loaded, with ABC, Silver/Beige car there. So, I played along and took it for a test drive. Ugly car, as the beige interior really doesn’t work with the silver exterior, in my opinion, but it sure was an SL450 with ABC and it drove beautifully. Fast forward to now and I am awaiting an Polar White/Ginger Beige SL450 with ABC that should be here in May. ABC is a magnificent system, especially compared to the basic spring suspension in the SL and to me, the difference between the two is day and night, to the point where I don’t even want the car, if I can’t have it with ABC.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 232 Likes on 188 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
ABC also lowers the car further at certain speeds (80km/h ???) and raises the car a couple of inches (manually) for going over bad surfaces, speed humps, parking at kerbs, steep driveways etc.

Having driven both and also owned a SLK as a daily drive (R172 SLK350 and it was a very hard ride). I would not want one without ABC. The other benefit for sore backs, is that you can raise the car to enter / exit i(I imagine that between raising the seat and car you could probably get the seat 6" higher for getting in and out). However I'd probably opt for a new car if I reach that point. I do like to wash the car myself and the extra height helps.

Last edited by rorywquin; 03-07-2019 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, I know there is at least one SL450 with ABC out there—and soon to be at least two! In 2018, my dealer said he could get the car for me in Mars Red. He ordered the car in Iridium Silver with Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown Nappa interior, ABC, etc. and said he would get the color changed, yada, yada, yada. A month or so later, he told me no soap on the Mars Red, so I canceled the order. A few months later, he calls to tell me that my SL450 has arrived! He left the order in place and had the loaded, with ABC, Silver/Beige car there. So, I played along and took it for a test drive. Ugly car, as the beige interior really doesn’t work with the silver exterior, in my opinion, but it sure was an SL450 with ABC and it drove beautifully. Fast forward to now and I am awaiting an Polar White/Ginger Beige SL450 with ABC that should be here in May. ABC is a magnificent system, especially compared to the basic spring suspension in the SL and to me, the difference between the two is day and night, to the point where I don’t even want the car, if I can’t have it with ABC.
Streamliner...

Just wondering why you opted for the Polar White over Diamond White Metallic? Did you just prefer the Enamel over the Acrylic Metallic Paint or was it because Diamond White is optional and cost $795 more?

Isn't the Diamond White 'a brighter white' with some 'sparkle' and more 'pop' to it than the Polar White that is so often seen on far less expensive MB models? Did you by chance compare these (2) white colors? Just curious!

Last edited by bob55; 03-07-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by bob55
Wondering why you chose the Polar White over Diamond White Metallic? Did you just prefer the Enamel over the Acrylic Metallic Paint or was it because Diamond White is optional and cost $795 more? Doesn't the Diamond White have a lot more 'pop' to it than the Polar White?
Colour is very subjective.

I simply prefer the Polar White (looks cleaner / purer to me) and is easier to match colour in the event of damage. I've never been a fan of those pearly / irridescent type colours.

I ordered about £13k worth of options in mine & so $795 is peanuts in the grand scheme of things thus, cost was not an issue. IIRC the only extras I did not order were upgraded leather (prefer the standard) , sound system (pointless in a good sounding convertible), paint and keyless go (too easy to steal).

Was looking at a SL63 today (have not had THE discussion with my wife) and would choose Polar white again - not a big fan of the other MB colours on offer.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Streamliner...

Just wondering why you opted for the Polar White over Diamond White Metallic? Did you just prefer the Enamel over the Acrylic Metallic Paint or was it because Diamond White is optional and cost $795 more?

Isn't the Diamond White 'a brighter white with some sparkle' with a lot more 'pop' to it than the Polar White that is so commonly seen on far less expensive MB models? Did you compare these (2) white colors? Just curious!
As Rory said, "color is very subjective." I really dislike Designo Diamond White Metallic. I much prefer the Polar White solid color. I tend to prefer solid, non-metallic colors in general, but in recent years, most manufacturers do not offer
many, with the exception of Porsche. Their solid colors that they offer, in addition to their Color to Sample program, really makes Porsche a wonderful brand to special order. I really wanted a Mars Red SL, but MB discontinued that wonderful,
solid color half way through MY17. I'm not thrilled with my choice of Polar White, but to me, it was the only color I liked that went well with the Ginger Beige interior. I would have gone for the Brilliant Blue Metallic, if it had just been a shade or two
lighter, like the photo below. My absolute first choice would have been the marvelous Designo Havana Beige Metallic, also shown below, that was shown in an MB factory video in 2013, but to my knowledge, was never offered on the R231. What
I would give to be able to give a show & tell PowerPoint presentation to someone at MB who could actually make a decision to offer more/different colors. It's like they have this corporate palate that they use and that's that. MB is very closed minded
with colors on most models. The SL is a luxurious, FUN car. It should be available in some FUN colors!

Last edited by Streamliner; 03-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Have to agree - the range of colours from MB sucks. I was at the Porsche Factory 2 years ago and they will basically do any colour you want (for a price) . I'm a fan of the old two-tone (for a hard top) colour but then, I also like challenge stripes.......
Old 03-08-2019, 02:04 AM

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
As Rory said, "color is very subjective." I really dislike Designo Diamond White Metallic. I much prefer the Polar White solid color. I tend to prefer solid, non-metallic colors in general, but in recent years, most manufacturers do not offer
many, with the exception of Porsche. Their solid colors that they offer, in addition to their Color to Sample program, really makes Porsche a wonderful brand to special order. I really wanted a Mars Red SL, but MB discontinued that wonderful,
solid color half way through MY17. I'm not thrilled with my choice of Polar White, but to me, it was the only color I liked that went well with the Ginger Beige interior. I would have gone for the Brilliant Blue Metallic, if it had just been a shade or two
lighter, like the photo below. My absolute first choice would have been the marvelous Designo Havana Beige Metallic, also shown below, that was shown in an MB factory video in 2013, but to my knowledge, was never offered on the R231. What
I would give to be able to give a show & tell PowerPoint presentation to someone at MB who could actually make a decision to offer more/different colors. It's like they have this corporate palate that they use and that's that. MB is very closed minded
with colors on most models. The SL is a luxurious, FUN car. It should be available in some FUN colors!...
If I was choosing white, it would be whichever one was the brightest, whitest white. I also agree about their need for some fun colors for this car. Mars Red is definitely missed, and there was also a light metallic blue that was quite nice. I got black out of my system a long time ago, and would shy away from any of the darker colors, though the gloss grey might be acceptable with a saddle or red interior...provided it had ABC, of course. I probably won't be able to pull the trigger on a car until it's too late to order a 231, so I may end up without a car. I have no interest in the new soft top.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
If I was choosing white for a 231, it would be whichever one was the brightest, whitest one available!.
Yep...same here, and while color is indeed quite subjective, it seems to me that 'the brighter the better' when choosing the color WHITE.

Because Diamond White is a Acrylic/Metallic Paint, expect it to be 'brighter and more reflective'. This is due to the 'sparkling metal flake' that is mixed into the paint. On the other hand, Polar White is a traditional Enamel paint, i.e. neither Acrylic or Metallic.

In 2017 MB was having trouble getting clear coat to stick to some of it's Enamel Paint finishes, most notably Mars Red. There were so many complaints about paint peeling from all models of MB Mars Red cars, that MB abruptly just stopped offering that very popular color. There are multiple Tech Bulletins citing the Mars Red problems which became a huge warranty issue and resulted in lawsuits because MB was reluctant to fix these paint problems. The whole controversy made me wonder if other MB enamel paint colors might eventually suffer the same issue, as according to MB the clear coat they used just wasn't Adhering to the Mars Red Enamel finish.

Fortunately, I have always preferred MB's Acrylic/Metallic Paint Colors anyway, and as far as I can tell, there haven't been any issues of clear coat adherence problems with those type of paint colors, so if you want red, there are no worries about choosing the Designo Cardinal Red Metallic.

If buying a new 231 however, keep in mind that 'brighter' Diamond White is also considered a 'Designo Color', (like Cardinal Red), and will therefore cost you an additional $795 as a 'paint 'option charge'.

Last edited by bob55; 03-08-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
'18 SL 550, '19 1500 Z71 Silverado LTZ, '19 Mustang convertible
If I was choosing white, it would be whichever one was the brightest, whitest white. I also agree about their need for some fun colors for this car. Mars Red is definitely missed, and there was also a light metallic blue that was quite nice. I got black out of my system a long time ago, and would shy away from any of the darker colors, though the gloss grey might be acceptable with a saddle or red interior...provided it had ABC, of course. I probably won't be able to pull the trigger on a car until it's too late to order a 231, so I may end up without a car. I have no interest in the new soft top.
Just curious: Are you still considering the designo Cardinal Red metallic and Porcelain or other whites combo? Don't know if you read it, but I did reply to your question (another thread) regarding dye transfers. Again, Porcelain has been no problem, at all, to keep clean and free from clothing dye transfers. After 15 months with this car, I would order the same combination again.
Frederick~

Old 03-08-2019, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep...same here, and while color is indeed quite subjective, it seems to me 'the brighter the better' if you are going with the color WHITE.
Well, then that would be Polar White, pictured below, which is VERY white. The Diamond White is considered to be an "off" white and can almost look a very light yellow in certain lighting.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 323 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
This thread was hijacked. Big time.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by threeMBs
This thread was hijacked. Big time.
Yeah, that tends to happen now and again. Just like conversations between two or more people tend to jump around to different topics. I guess we're just human, but you are right and my apologies to the OP for my part in it.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:43 PM

Yeah, that tends to happen now and again. Just like conversations between two or more people tend to jump around to different topics. I guess we're just human, but you are right and my apologies to the OP for my part in it.

LOL it does happen that way doesn't it- no offense taken here- I think my decision is made- I am going with the 2019 C63S- easier to buy, more features, less money, not identical for sure (I am getting the coupe not the cabriolet) but looking for the right pre-owned SL 450 will take a while and most are long distance. SL is totally bad *** for sure but the C63s is badder ***?
Old 03-08-2019, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL it does happen that way doesn't it- no offense taken here- I think my decision is made- I am going with the 2019 C63S- easier to buy, more features, less money, not identical for sure (I am getting the coupe not the cabriolet) but looking for the right pre-owned SL 450 will take a while and most are long distance. SL is totally bad *** for sure but the C63s is badder ***?
Well, it sure as hell is WAY faster! Even though this is the SL forum, please post photos on this thread when you get it. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

If you lease then the SL450 is likely cheaper than the C63s, since the SL's have reasonable residuals and deeply discounted MF...
Old 03-09-2019, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Well, then that would be Polar White, pictured below, which is VERY white. The Diamond White is considered to be an "off" white and can almost look a very light yellow in certain lighting.

Mine has the same colour combo.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony

Two totally different cars.......SL is a coupe and a roadster in one car!