Notices
SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL Special Editions List

 
Old 03-09-2019, 12:07 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 49
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL550
SL Special Editions List

I've found that the R231 SL has had tons of special editions, all of which are interesting and unique! I am starting this thread to keep track of them and provide some info. Please do add any that I miss, because there are many of them.

SL Grand Edition - 2020 - Graphite grey with matte inserts for other bits, sportier suspension, and with unique interior and SL65 trim and wheels, 450 or 550.


SL Designo Edition - 2017 - Comes in either red or blue, 450 or 550.


SL Mille Miglia Edition - 2015 in EU, 2016 in NA - Matte grey with red and black accents, black interior with red accents and CF trim, 400 (europe only) or 550


SL63 World Championship 2014 Collector’s Edition - 2 versions, Louis Hamilton theme or Nico Rosberg theme, 19 of each produced.


SL 2LOOK Edition, or White Arrow or High Contrast package - 2014 EU, 2015 NA- Diamond white and very few in black, black roof and accents on unique black interior with white accents, 550 or 63 or 65


SL65 45th anniversary edition - 2014 - Matte grey with porcelain interior, black and CF accents, 45 units only


SL Launch Edition - 2013 - Iridium silver on bengal red with rims that were later used on the facelift models.

Last edited by Keon; 03-09-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Keon is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:36 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,230
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
4 MBs
SL Mille Miglia Edition - 2015 - Matte grey with red and black accents, black interior with red accents and CF trim, 400 or 550


In US it was model year 2016, available only on 550.


SL 2LOOK Edition - 2014 - Polar white and very few in black, black roof and accents on unique black interior with white accents, 550 or 63


In US it was available only in Diamond White and only for model years 2015 (SL550, 63 and 65) and 2016 (SL63 for sure and as I recall SL65 too, but not sure on 65). 550 was called White Arrow Edition and SL63/65 was called High Contrast Package.
threeMBs is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 49
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by threeMBs View Post
SL Mille Miglia Edition - 2015 - Matte grey with red and black accents, black interior with red accents and CF trim, 400 or 550


In US it was model year 2016, available only on 550.


SL 2LOOK Edition - 2014 - Polar white and very few in black, black roof and accents on unique black interior with white accents, 550 or 63


In US it was available only in Diamond White and only for model years 2015 (SL550, 63 and 65) and 2016 (SL63 for sure and as I recall SL65 too, but not sure on 65). 550 was called White Arrow Edition and SL63/65 was called High Contrast Package.
Thanks, I've made those edits.
Keon is offline  
Old 03-09-2019, 05:39 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Streamliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southern CA
Posts: 2,825
Received 399 Likes on 301 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan, 2018 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450
To me, the problem with these special editions, is that MB builds them the way THEY want them. If you happen to agree with their taste, that’s great. If not, I say just order a car the way you want it. The 2017 Designo Editions are nice, but every one of them has the “Champagne White Piano Lacquer” interior trim, which I happen to find unattractive, especially with the Porcelain leather, and just LOOK at that steering wheel! In addition, I believe most all of these cars were allocated to dealers, so they were not really available for special order, so probably none of them have ABC. Sure do like the wheels, though.


Last edited by Streamliner; 03-09-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Streamliner is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:21 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 353
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
14 E63S Wagon, 16 GTS Edition1 (Sold), 17 SL450 designo edition
I agree. My Cardinal Red Designo Edition posted in another thread has too much white in the interior to my tastes. Thankfully the carpets are black. And I always liked the wood steering wheels which it doesn't have. And no ABC or Magic Sky roof which I would have ordered had I the opportunity.


Originally Posted by Streamliner View Post
To me, the problem with these special editions, is that MB builds them the way THEY want them. If you happen to agree with their taste, that’s great. If not, I say just order a car the way you want it. The 2017 Designo Editions are nice, but every one of them has the “Champagne White Piano Lacquer” interior trim, which I happen to find unattractive, especially with the Porcelain leather, and just LOOK at that steering wheel! In addition, I believe most all of these cars were allocated to dealers, so they were not really available for special order, so probably none of them have ABC. Sure do like the wheels, though.

Patric is offline  
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM
  #6  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 5,005
Received 477 Likes on 377 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Interesting tidbit regarding the SL63 World Championship 2014 Collector’s Edition. They could be purchased as a pair or were sold individually. Sticker shock pricing (in Germany): 629.510 Euro for both or 320.110 Euro per car. This makes a $235k SL65 look like a bargain...

And whoever complained about the latest SL550 Grand Edition; here is a pic of the interior of this $350k car



Last edited by Wolfman; 03-10-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Wolfman is offline  
Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
  #7  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL550 Edition 1, 2015 GL550, 2011 E-350 4-Matic Wagon
I own a 2013 SL550 Edition 1, 15k miles. I’ve been trying to find out the production numbers. Does anyone know where to find the production numbers of these limited edition SL’s?
Stevieboy1 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 04:26 PM
  #8  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SL550 Edition 1, 2015 GL550, 2011 E-350 4-Matic Wagon
The 2013 Edition1 is the one I own. I've always wondered why MB put the red steering wheel in the European cars and just a black steering wheel in those sold in the U.S.
Stevieboy1 is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 08:26 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 196
Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts
2015 SL550, 2018 G63
I have a 2015 White Arrow edition. I believe there were only 400 in the US.
places is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,230
Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts
4 MBs
Originally Posted by places View Post
I have a 2015 White Arrow edition. I believe there were only 400 in the US.
Yes officially, they said it was a limited 400 unit run. However, by the amount of cars dealers had in late 2014 early 2015 (some dealers here in FL had 4 each, maybe some came from North in Jan. 2015, unsold) and by the fact it holds value even worse (for an almost $119K MSRP car) than comparably equipped and priced "regular" '15 SL550. (I think same applies to 2016 MM edition).
threeMBs is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL Special Editions List


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: