SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: 2020 SL write up.........LAST SL????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2019, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
2020 SL write up.........LAST SL????

Just posted on the Car Connection website: https://www.thecarconnection.com/ove..._sl-class_2020
Old 10-26-2019, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Thanks for posting. Gets a mediocre overall score but its quality and styling are the high points. Sounds like this is the end of the line for the 2 seat roadster with a retractable hardtop. If my '15 proves to be reliable I'll be trading in 3 years for another one, probably an '18 or '19. After 4 months of ownership and one long road trip we are very pleased with everything except the dusty brakes. I plan to remedy this issue next week with a set of carbon ceramic pads that will be self installed with the use of a friend's lift and expertise.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 927 Likes on 606 Posts
2019 SL550/2023 EQS 580 SUV
I guess I was never the target buyer for the SL though I have owned three so far. According to the article I need to start golfing and going to brunch. I am so pedestrian! LOL
The following 2 users liked this post by Utopia Texas:
Keon (10-26-2019), mrmotoguzzi00 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
One of the dumbest and non-sensical reviews I have read in a while, but that would be expected from that website.

Space? Unless anyone considers the rear seats of a cabriolet "storage", the SL actually has more and more practical storage than the C, E or even S-Cab. Not that this is a convertible priority. Our AMG GTC has less than a third of the SL storage and the only Mercedes convertible I find more compelling than the SL.

In regards to knobs, buttons and its antiquated entertainment system, I am actually torn.From the looks, true, but this is also becoming a larger conversation; are digital displays and touch screens an improvement or do they cheapen the car?
I like both in their right place. For sedans and SUV's I like the full digital treatment, even though I wouldn't mind seeing more non-rectangular and curved displays (Taycan is not a bad start) but on a classic two seat roadster I am OK with analog displays and perhaps a larger tucked-in center display. Screens reflect more with top down driving ad become less usable. Same as touch screen buttons as the require a multi-touch (select function, then adjust). Buttons here are better IMO as well as they provide a faster and more tactile experience.
Having used all systems from the old SL comand, S-Class, E-Class and now MBUX with the vibrating touchpad, I am astounded that the old SL still delivers the fastest results, especially with CarPlay.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 354 Posts
MB’s
Doug Demuro posted something about why the SL is failing. If they cannot sell the cheaper SLK/SLC for half the price it will be hard to sell the $100,000 SL. I had a 107 560SL and a 129 SL600. I tossed around the idea of the SLK as it is very fun to drive and wanted an SLK350 but I found it a little too small. I have coupes and I like them a lot. I have a Cabriolet but I feel it is an in the middle compromise kind of car. The SL is a very niche market it seems. For the price, many feels they get more performance for the price. I think also the SL is one of a kind and has no real competition. Living in its own world I feel it is sort of a hidden gem.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Wolfman
One of the dumbest and non-sensical reviews I have read in a while, but that would be expected from that website.

Space? Unless anyone considers the rear seats of a cabriolet "storage", the SL actually has more and more practical storage than the C, E or even S-Cab. Not that this is a convertible priority. Our AMG GTC has less than a third of the SL storage and the only Mercedes convertible I find more compelling than the SL.

In regards to knobs, buttons and its antiquated entertainment system, I am actually torn.From the looks, true, but this is also becoming a larger conversation; are digital displays and touch screens an improvement or do they cheapen the car?
I like both in their right place. For sedans and SUV's I like the full digital treatment, even though I wouldn't mind seeing more non-rectangular and curved displays (Taycan is not a bad start) but on a classic two seat roadster I am OK with analog displays and perhaps a larger tucked-in center display. Screens reflect more with top down driving ad become less usable. Same as touch screen buttons as the require a multi-touch (select function, then adjust). Buttons here are better IMO as well as they provide a faster and more tactile experience.
Having used all systems from the old SL comand, S-Class, E-Class and now MBUX with the vibrating touchpad, I am astounded that the old SL still delivers the fastest results, especially with CarPlay.

C, E, and S Cabriolet are more practical for daily use. They are also cheaper with the exemption of the S Cabriolet. More for someone with a family. SL has 2 seats no matter what and a trunk.

I agree that website really is not the best for car reviews lol
Old 10-29-2019, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Considering how long the SL has been produced I have found it odd over the years how many folks have walked over at parking lots and gasoline stations to compliment me on the car and then ask me what it is!
The following users liked this post:
Jim_In_AZ (11-03-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas
Considering how long the SL has been produced I have found it odd over the years how many folks have walked over at parking lots and gasoline stations to compliment me on the car and then ask me what it is!
I believe it. Not many sold. It is no exotic by any means. My F355 would get many more looks compared to an MB SL. However, go into any MB dealer. How many SL's are being sold? CPO? Good luck. Not a car made in the numbers compared to say C or CLA. Also as the years have gone on less and less were sold. a R231 SL65 Must get tons of looks when owners get on it and people must think what on earth is that?
Old 10-29-2019, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,496 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
Doug Demuro posted something about why the SL is failing. If they cannot sell the cheaper SLK/SLC for half the price it will be hard to sell the $100,000 SL. I had a 107 560SL and a 129 SL600. I tossed around the idea of the SLK as it is very fun to drive and wanted an SLK350 but I found it a little too small. I have coupes and I like them a lot. I have a Cabriolet but I feel it is an in the middle compromise kind of car. The SL is a very niche market it seems. For the price, many feels they get more performance for the price. I think also the SL is one of a kind and has no real competition. Living in its own world I feel it is sort of a hidden gem.
I'm not sure I agree with the SL/SLK correlation. I found the quality and ride to be entirely different and no where near a "smaller" SL. Entirely different markets, right? Perhaps the SLK is (or was) more of an aspirational market, whereas the SL buyer may end up going to a different brand (911, Aston, Bentley) entirely. If your shopping an SL, you most likely want a luxury two door coupe convertible.
Old 10-29-2019, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 332 Likes on 296 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
Last SL???.........Well, clearly the answer is NO, but.....

However, it's clear now that the 231 is THE LAST SL I WILL EVER OWN!

Why?.....Because I would NEVER buy any future SL with a 'rag top'....

And so, 'Long Lives' the 231 Series SL!....

I love everything about my 2013 SL550! It's absolutely perfect for me in every way! I am so lucky to have found the beautiful Palladium Silver Metallic/Ginger Beige/Espresso Brown color scheme, with a nice smooth ride, (thanks to the 18-inch Twin Spoke wheels and non-run flat Michelin Pilot A/S 3 Tires). I'm also lucky because the 2013 Harman Kardon Logic-7 system in my car is apparently different, (and better), than the HK system in the later 231 models. For 2013, the HK system had 14-speakers and a 6-disc DVD/CD changer, while the later 231 models came with just 11-speakers and without the CD changer. While I've seen and read all the HK complaints from others here....,...,my listening experience, differs. I think the (2013) HK Logic-7 System sounds great with the bass and treble output levels to +8!....

Still seems a bit unbelievable to me that despite having bought my 231 in 2018 as a CPO with 15K miles, I got every single option I wanted, including Nappa Leather, Burlwood Steering Wheel, Premium One Package, Driver Assist Package, Analog Clock, Illuminated Door Sills, and even the 'super-cool' Magic Sky Roof option that I love so much!...

However, equally important, my 231 DOES NOT HAVE OPTIONS I KNEW I DIDN'T WANT ON MY NEXT SL, (based on my previous experience with the 230 Series). These are notably ABC, (a very expensive repair issue), and what I consider the most 'unreliable' option MB has ever offered....the now notorious 'Soft Close Doors' option! I am SO glad my SL550 does NOT have either of these options!...

I am truly fortunate and very grateful to find and buy the 'perfect' car in 'like new' condition while paying only about 1/3 of the 'new' price...It just doesn't get any better than that!...

Hope I'm not the only one here feeling that way....

Motor on!

Last edited by bob55; 11-02-2019 at 01:27 PM.
RoundTheBenz (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by places
I'm not sure I agree with the SL/SLK correlation. I found the quality and ride to be entirely different and no where near a "smaller" SL. Entirely different markets, right? Perhaps the SLK is (or was) more of an aspirational market, whereas the SL buyer may end up going to a different brand (911, Aston, Bentley) entirely. If your shopping an SL, you most likely want a luxury two door coupe convertible.
Oh no I didn't mean like the SLK/SLC was just a small SL. I was saying that because if they are having trouble selling a 2 seater that starts at $48,000 it is going to be hard to sell a car that has 2 seats that starts at $91,000 from the same manufacturer and is similar in the sense that both have 2 seats, folding hardtop, and trunk space. Yes, very different markets for sure. As you said the SL buyer is going from that 911, Aston or Bentley. However, due to low sales, it seems as many are going to that 911, Aston or Bentley.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by bob55
Last SL???.....Well NO, but.....

It's clear now that that the 231 is indeed THE LAST SL I WILL EVER OWN!

Why?.....Because I would NEVER buy any future SL with a soft top!

So, 'Long Lives the 231'

To be fair I mean the R129 SL600 I had come with a folding soft top. It also had the hardtop but it had to be 100% removed. Folding hardtop is a blessing lol
Old 10-29-2019, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh no I didn't mean like the SLK/SLC was just a small SL. I was saying that because if they are having trouble selling a 2 seater that starts at $48,000 it is going to be hard to sell a car that has 2 seats that starts at $91,000 from the same manufacturer and is similar in the sense that both have 2 seats, folding hardtop, and trunk space. Yes, very different markets for sure. As you said the SL buyer is going from that 911, Aston or Bentley. However, due to low sales, it seems as many are going to that 911, Aston or Bentley.
Got it, thank you for clarification.

On another note, I assume 911 sales have remained strong whereas SL sales have softened. What is the reason for this? Is it 911 resale values or is the SL design just not received well. I don't get it, the SL is the best roadster out there for the money. Granted, color and the ability to customize is limited and the design may not be to everyones liking (but not very car is) but I don't see anything that touches it, it offers so much.
Old 10-29-2019, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

A lot of people have their spin on the SL sales but ultimately everything relates to changing tastes. Money IMO has nothing to do with it. If the R231 would have been a great looker for peoples taste in 2013 it would have likely sold better but we are living in a world with more niche cars than ever before. Most of which appear to be SUV derivatives. Mercedes alone has 7 lines of SUV's, multiple coupe version and multiple MB & AMG engine variants. That makes for around 60 SUV models alone.
For me, a cabriolet (C,E,S) makes for an inferior top-down driving experience and they frankly don't look as good as their coupe counterparts. I don't need/want more space in a top-down roadster; it's a special purpose car in a multi-car household. No kids. I love coupes but we often end up with sedans because the coupes lease with a 50% premium while typically sporting a $20% price premium. Less desirable for me.

I agree the SL is unique and a perfect car for those who appreciate its qualities.
TennesseeZ4 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
A lot of people have their spin on the SL sales but ultimately everything relates to changing tastes. Money IMO has nothing to do with it. If the R231 would have been a great looker for peoples taste in 2013 it would have likely sold better but we are living in a world with more niche cars than ever before. Most of which appear to be SUV derivatives. Mercedes alone has 7 lines of SUV's, multiple coupe version and multiple MB & AMG engine variants. That makes for around 60 SUV models alone.
For me, a cabriolet (C,E,S) makes for an inferior top-down driving experience and they frankly don't look as good as their coupe counterparts. I don't need/want more space in a top-down roadster; it's a special purpose car in a multi-car household. No kids. I love coupes but we often end up with sedans because the coupes lease with a 50% premium while typically sporting a $20% price premium. Less desirable for me.

I agree the SL is unique and a perfect car for those who appreciate its qualities.
When I say money I am saying that most people have X Amount to spend. Realistically nobody has unlimited resources. People (change in taste) want the most bang for the buck) when it comes to spending their X Amount of money. $100,000 gets you an SL or say a 911? Sales prove the 911 or even a Corvette. Maybe too many think the SL550 is a slow soft older persons car. If they only knew the SL550 even stock can hang with them, Tune it and yoy run with exotics. Even people who have $100,000 to spend on a car maybe they do have the money to buy 2 or 3 or 4 cars but might not have the room? SUV's are also part of it. People love them. Why I do not know. Overall the market for convertibles is not strong. Many people do not live where it is justified. I look at it as 1 nice day is worth it! However, with the 4 seaters as they are more practical they nowhere near as fun or as nice. With prices on the Cabriolets fully loaded pushing well into SL territory I feel the R231 SL550 is even more of a bargain.

Last edited by C280 Sport; 10-29-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
For me, the bottom line, is that MB paid WAY too little attention to the original design of the R231, thinking that the SL sold X amount of cars, year in and year out, so why pay much attention to it? They figured that previous SL owners--and those aspiring to be one--would just buy pretty much any car that checked most of the traditional SL boxes, and that was that. The result, was a car that came to market with many shortcomings, many of which were not immediately obvious to the customer base, but once discovered, really took their toll.

The body design of the current SL was a poor one from the start and should have been corrected way before 2017, and the corrections should have been more far reaching. Don't get me started on the truly lousy audio system, the tired and boring exterior colors, the odd interior color combinations and the fact that virtually NOBODY in the USA, who was a potential SL customer, ever got to test drive one with ABC. How many well off folks bought a 2013 off the lot, only to end up very disappointed in the car, as in some respects, it was not an improvement over the previous model? They ended up trading their 2013's, went to something else and never came back, as there was no reason to. There are plenty of people out there, with VERY deep pockets, who would have bought an SL, but why buy something with shortcomings and an odd body design, when the magnificent 911 Cabriolet exists, not to mention other open cars by Bentley, Ferrari, Aston Martin and others?

We here, LOVE our R231 cars, but we are the faithful. We adore our retractable hard tops and refuse to even consider another rag top car. Unfortunately, we count for pretty much nothing, when it comes to MB market research. The fact is that MB killed the demand for the SL, by ignoring their "halo" car, while lavishing tons of development Euros on cars like the ill-fated, mediocre S Cabriolet and umpteen variations of the SUV "coupe." Overall, I feel that the SL has, indeed, lost its cachet in the eyes of the wealthy and it truly is thought of as an old person's car.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

I had done some sales research on the AMG GT models related to another thread and was surprised by their strong sales. Always expected them to be in the SL category...
Sales are much stronger outside the US and granted, those are coupes and roadsters but it's a very special niche and priced well above the SL's category.
MY18+ facelift of the GT's, Mercedes sold 20,000 units worldwide.

We'll see what the next gen. SL looks like as it replaces the S-Class cab and the AMG GT roadster as the sole high-end Mercedes convertible...
Old 10-29-2019, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To be fair I mean the R129 SL600 I had come with a folding soft top. It also had the hardtop but it had to be 100% removed. Folding hardtop is a blessing lol
So just why would a R129 comment even be relevant now?.....

You're in the R231 forum, and 231 is the current SL model, so it seems to me the 231 should be the basis for any SL comparisons now....

Last edited by bob55; 10-29-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I had done some sales research on the AMG GT models related to another thread and was surprised by their strong sales. Always expected them to be in the SL category...
Sales are much stronger outside the US and granted, those are coupes and roadsters but it's a very special niche and priced well above the SL's category.
MY18+ facelift of the GT's, Mercedes sold 20,000 units worldwide.

We'll see what the next gen. SL looks like as it replaces the S-Class cab and the AMG GT roadster as the sole high-end Mercedes convertible...
Can you share what the SL numbers are for the same time frame? 20k units is quite significant given the price of the GT.
Old 10-29-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
I believe Stream nailed it.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
So just why would a R129 comment even be relevant now?.....

You're in the R231 forum, and 231 is the current SL model, so it seems to me the 231 should be the basis for any SL comparisons now....

Because they are both SL's. In the car world, the most modern model of car can sometimes revert back to the original design or pay homage to design and style... Hence the A/C vents inside the SL styled after the ones in the SL's of old. As does the 6 Cylinder engine. As does the possibility of having a soft top...
Old 10-30-2019, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 548 Likes on 484 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
What happened to the 2+2 AMG only SL63?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Because they are both SL's. In the car world, the most modern model of car can sometimes revert back to the original design or pay homage to design and style... Hence the A/C vents inside the SL styled after the ones in the SL's of old. As does the 6 Cylinder engine. As does the 'now confirmed' return of a new 'soft top' 2+2 SL.
I think the consensus opinion of this forum is pretty clear....The return of a 'soft top' SL is NOT something too many current SL owners are looking forward to!....

Long Live the Last 'folding hardtop' SL, the gorgeous, more practical, 231!...:

I'm quite sure the 231 with its folding hardtop will continue to be greatly appreciated and enjoyed by many of us here well beyond the time when it is replaced by the next generation 'soft top' 2+2 model.. In fact, I expect to love and appreciate and my 231 even more once the new 'soft top' model makes its debut!...

Note: The next generation SL 'soft top 2+2' model is now scheduled to arrive in mid-2021 as a 2022 model

(It's a lovely day, so time for a 'hardtop down' drive now!)....

Last edited by bob55; 10-30-2019 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
I think the consensus opinion of this forum is pretty clear....The return of a 'soft top' SL is NOT something too many current SL owners are looking forward to!....

Long Live the Last 'folding hardtop' SL, the gorgeous, more practical, 231!...:

I'm quite sure the 231 with its folding hardtop will continue to be greatly appreciated and enjoyed by many of us here well beyond the time when it is replaced by the next generation 'soft top' 2+2 model.. In fact, I expect to love and appreciate and my 231 even more once the new 'soft top' model makes its debut!...

Note: The next generation SL 'soft top 2+2' model is now scheduled to arrive in mid-2021 as a 2022 model

(It's a lovely day, so time for a 'hardtop down' drive now!)....
I agree 100% I would never want another soft-top car. I have a CLK with one and an F355 with one. Top up it ruins the look of the entire car. I am just hoping it is all talk.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes appears to be well past the talking part of hard top vs. soft top. It’s like they are driving 100 mph towards a cliff trying to kill the SL and just keep stepping harder on the accelerator......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: 2020 SL write up.........LAST SL????