SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Lowering

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 07:20 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bentley Continental GTS / SL 550/SL 63/Dodge Charger/RAM Truck/2021 Genesis GV 80
Lowering

I have a 2015 MB SL 550. I am interested in lowering it. Has anyone done so and if so, can you send a photo, what did you do to lower your vehicle?

Thank you,

Joe
Old 06-08-2020, 07:40 AM

Bentley Continental GTS / SL 550/SL 63/Dodge Charger/RAM Truck/2021 Genesis GV 80
Another question, I am looking for the front spoiler, I order two so far, definitely not the look I was going for. As shown in the photos here, I have installed the SL 63/65

spoiler on the rear. My desire is a one piece solid black spoiler I can attach to the lower portion of the front end, specifically made for the MB
Does anyone have this? If so, can you send a photo and the place of purchase please?

Thank you,

Joe
Old 06-08-2020, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Lowering depends on the type of suspension. ABC (Active body Control) can be easy and cheap to lower. Those costs anywhere from $2 to $2,000 (washers or lowering links or Electronic lowering module) depending if you are a DYI or bring it to a shop. Springs are more common on these and those require a swap with lowering springs. Look for H&R or Brabus springs. They can't be height adjusted and give you a certain drop. Expect around $1k for springs and install.

I did install H&R springs on our first R231 SL and wasn't happy. It ended up a bit lower than I wanted. Ride quality was not as good and the car easily scraped on the bottom of the front bumper. It's worth to check again if K&W or Eibach has adjustable springs. They didn't have them before; perhaps that changed. Those would be height adjustable.

Here are some pics of our old rides (red interior is on springs, white interior on ABC)

Old 06-10-2020, 08:27 AM

Thanks Wolfman, I think your car looks awesome! However, I do agree about the ride comfort. I still want that smooth ride MB offers. In the photo you sent, what lowering system did you install and are you happy with the comfort of the ride?

Thanks you.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by josephdonofrio
Thanks Wolfman, I think your car looks awesome! However, I do agree about the ride comfort. I still want that smooth ride MB offers. In the photo you sent, what lowering system did you install and are you happy with the comfort of the ride?

Thanks you.
Just to confirm, these are two different cars. One had the H&R Sport springs, the other ABC with a Renntech V3 ELM (lowering module) Ride comfort on ABC was the same as stock.
We had 3 R231 SL's int total This was no.1 & 2. The third was a 2017 facelift model. Also with ABC. Now have moved to a different Mercedes model...

The solution depends on the car and options you have. Springs or ABC?

Here is a link to thread I created to people that are unsure what they have. Hope it helps:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...l-has-abc.html

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-10-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/h-r-s...z-r231-sl.html

This is the only way to go. Roughly a 1 1/4" drop. You will need to find a professional shop to install them and get the car aligned afterwards. Also recommend spacers for the stock wheels (20mm rear, 12-15mm front). Again, H&R will do the job.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Sadykbg (08-27-2023), spinalator (11-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 07:27 AM

Hey Wolman,

Thank you once again, what do you mean by spacers for the stock wheels? How much did you drop you car (in the photos you sent)?

Joe
Old 06-11-2020, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Wolman,

Thank you once again, what do you mean by spacers for the stock wheels? How much did you drop you car (in the photos you sent)?

Joe
The top photo (springs) had a drop of 30mm roughly 1 1/4"
The lower photo (ABC) had a drop of 3/4" to 1".

Using spacers on a car widens the stance of the car. This is something that makes the car look more proportionally balanced as the stock wheel offsets are high and the wheels are inset too much. In my opinion that is. It becomes more apparent when the car is lowered.

Here is an example. The first image shows the car lowered without spacers. The second image has spacers...

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-11-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2020, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Just to confirm, these are two different cars. One had the H&R Sport springs, the other ABC with a Renntech V3 ELM (lowering module) Ride comfort on ABC was the same as stock.
We had 3 R231 SL's int total This was no.1 & 2. The third was a 2017 facelift model. Also with ABC. Now have moved to a different Mercedes model...

The solution depends on the car and options you have. Springs or ABC?

Here is a link to thread I created to people that are unsure what they have. Hope it helps:
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...l-has-abc.html
Hey Wolf,

I am trying to achieve the sound of my old SL 55. (Only a little more deeper and louder) As you know, I have the SL 550.
I just sold my Lamborghini, I had Carlini tuned exhaust so the sound was bad ***.
On a Benz, you really do not want that much of a sound but I do want to be heard.
I have heard several stories on how to do so from cutting out one or both mufflers/resonators to ordering the full exhaust from the cat-back.
I want the sound but do not believe I need to spend $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 to achieve this.
Your thoughts please?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-14-2020, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Wolf,

I am trying to achieve the sound of my old SL 55. (Only a little more deeper and louder) As you know, I have the SL 550.
I just sold my Lamborghini, I had Carlini tuned exhaust so the sound was bad ***.
On a Benz, you really do not want that much of a sound but I do want to be heard.
I have heard several stories on how to do so from cutting out one or both mufflers/resonators to ordering the full exhaust from the cat-back.
I want the sound but do not believe I need to spend $1,500.00 to $2,500.00 to achieve this.
Your thoughts please?

Thanks,

Joe
Sorry, can't help much on the exhaust. I never cared for a loud SL and wouldn't have spent money on that. We did have the SL55 as well and loved the sound but liked the SL550 as-is as it matches the smooth top down ride. Different character car.
This doesn't mean I don't like loud cars; our current cars are much louder than any SL but they are sports cars and for them it feels appropriate.

I don't recall if the early R231 had exhaust flaps (don't think they did); those you could disable in open mode... Other than that, you have found the most common mods. I would be concerned about drone so an aftermarket exhaust maybe a best option.
There are no take-offs in the marketplace; maybe Ebay?
Old 06-14-2020, 04:52 PM

Thanks Wolf,
I agree with on the statement regarding it is not an SL 55.
I will let you know.

Thanks again!

Joe
Old 06-18-2020, 07:58 PM
toi

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 sl550
Hey Wolf,

Your thoughts please?

Thanks,

Joe
im very happy with mine, custom order from germany.
its a company called mec design , this is their full exhaust sytem after resonators.
here are some quick videos. car is quiet at cruise speeds and gradually roars as you step on it.

Last edited by toi; 06-18-2020 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:24 AM

Thank you very much for sharing!

Joe
Old 06-27-2020, 07:16 PM

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
AMG SL63
For those that are on the fence about Brabus lowering springs, feast your eyes on a better choice than H&R!! Total drop was 28mm in the front, 30mm rear. Still leaves plenty of room for entry and exit in my slightly contentious driveway.

The springs are a bit softer than the H&Rs, and have a little less drop. My Indy mechanic dropped them right in without issue. No creaks, no squeaks, and crabbing with tight turns.

In the first hundred miles, I can say that the cornering is now far more flat and turn in has improved as well. The ride is more firm in every suspension mode, but not at all harsh and no pogo what so ever. It seems like a nice middle ground right smack dab in the middle of luxury sport and comfort mode, and far more sharp and crisp in sport mode.

One of the big Pros for me was that it completely eliminated that bit of marshmallow fluff / floaty feeling in the nose (extremely welcome change) and the car feels much more communicative in all phases of suspension travel, especially in sport. It’s a much more engaging experience in sport under pressure while cornering and breaking. But no chatter in broken pavement.

I also added rear spacers (15mm) which is perfect for the drop. Just a hint of fender extends over the top of the tire. Had to order another set of 7.5mm front spacers, though, as the supplier sent the wrong hub size (ECS) so waiting on another set.

But if you are looking for a spring option for you non ABC facelift car, I can’t recommend the Brabus springs enough.

Last edited by PAPA PA; 06-27-2020 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:04 PM
toi

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
2014 sl550
Originally Posted by PAPA PA
For those that are on the fence about Brabus lowering springs, feast your eyes on a better choice than H&R!! Total drop was 28mm in the front, 30mm rear. Still leaves plenty of room for entry and exit in my slightly contentious driveway.

The springs are a bit softer than the H&Rs, and have a little less drop. My Indy mechanic dropped them right in without issue. No creaks, no squeaks, and crabbing with tight turns.

In the first hundred miles, I can say that the cornering is now far more flat and turn in has improved as well. The ride is more firm in every suspension mode, but not at all harsh and no pogo what so ever. It seems like a nice middle ground right smack dab in the middle of luxury sport and comfort mode, and far more sharp and crisp in sport mode.

One of the big Pros for me was that it completely eliminated that bit of marshmallow fluff / floaty feeling in the nose (extremely welcome change) and the car feels much more communicative in all phases of suspension travel, especially in sport. It’s a much more engaging experience in sport under pressure while cornering and breaking. But no chatter in broken pavement.

I also added rear spacers (15mm) which is perfect for the drop. Just a hint of fender extends over the top of the tire. Had to order another set of 7.5mm front spacers, though, as the supplier sent the wrong hub size (ECS) so waiting on another set.

But if you are looking for a spring option for you non ABC facelift car, I can’t recommend the Brabus springs enough.

thanks for the feedback , i like the way my car feels stock but might do the mod for looks mostly.

how long of a job is to replace them all do you think? if you dont mind sharing what your mechanic charged you ?

thanks again
Old 06-27-2020, 08:12 PM

AMG SL63
It was booked at 4 hours to do the work, but took them closer to 5.5. Apparently the rears are a little more time consuming than expected. They quoted me $130/hr (Seattle prices) but only charged the book hours.
The following users liked this post:
toi (06-27-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfman
Lowering depends on the type of suspension. ABC (Active body Control) can be easy and cheap to lower. Those costs anywhere from $2 to $2,000 (washers or lowering links or Electronic lowering module) depending if you are a DYI or bring it to a shop. Springs are more common on these and those require a swap with lowering springs. Look for H&R or Brabus springs. They can't be height adjusted and give you a certain drop. Expect around $1k for springs and install.

I did install H&R springs on our first R231 SL and wasn't happy. It ended up a bit lower than I wanted. Ride quality was not as good and the car easily scraped on the bottom of the front bumper. It's worth to check again if K&W or Eibach has adjustable springs. They didn't have them before; perhaps that changed. Those would be height adjustable.

Here are some pics of our old rides (red interior is on springs, white interior on ABC)

Hello Wolfman,

I contacted the distributor for the Brabas Springs in Las Vegas. They offer the springs 4 total for $695.00. However, they stated that I should know that the springs occasionally make a "metal to metal" noise. They stated a brief explanation as to the cause being a possibility of the springs hitting at a point.
Have you heard of this? This is a game changer if you're driving a Benz and you hear a knocking noise.

If anyone else on this thread has had the Brabas Springs installed, please respond and advise if this is true and if so, how annoying is the knocking/metal on metal noise?

Thank you all,

Joe
Old 07-02-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I don’t care what anyone does to their car, but when I think of the expense involved and the known “side effects” of lowering an R231 SL (rough ride, noisy springs, bottoming out, potential damage, etc.), if it were me, if having a lower riding car was THAT important, I’d sell the car and buy one with ABC. Even though the option is somewhat rare, the cars are out there and can very easily be lowered, via an aftermarket device. AND, the car can very easily be returned to the original height at anytime, which will come in very handy at resale time. In addition, with the touch of a button on the center console, you can raise the car to negotiate intersection dips, parking lot aprons, speed bumps, etc. And, last but not least, the car will ride and handle SO much better than the non-ABC equipped car.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:07 PM

AMG SL63
Hello Wolfman,

I contacted the distributor for the Brabas Springs in Las Vegas. They offer the springs 4 total for $695.00. However, they stated that I should know that the springs occasionally make a "metal to metal" noise. They stated a brief explanation as to the cause being a possibility of the springs hitting at a point.
Have you heard of this? This is a game changer if you're driving a Benz and you hear a knocking noise.

If anyone else on this thread has had the Brabas Springs installed, please respond and advise if this is true and if so, how annoying is the knocking/metal on metal noise?

Thank you all,

Joe
I have driven the crap out of the car since adding my Brabus springs - no knocking or bottoming out what so ever.

As for the comments about time and expense and why not ABC - that’s called an opinion. I appreciate and respect yours, Stream. But in my opinion, the only ABC system worth having is on the Sl63, as the 550 ABC suspension is just too soft and pillowy for my tastes. But I didn’t want the SL63. We all have priorities, and differing tastes. I now have just the feel I want out of my car, and the looks to boot!

The exact same could be said of color choices, or exhaust notes, or model years.

Thank goodness we all have choices and options to make our vehicles just the way we want them!

Cheers and safe driving!

Old 07-02-2020, 03:45 PM

Thank you Papa PA!
Old 07-03-2020, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by PAPA PA
I have driven the crap out of the car since adding my Brabus springs..............!
Well, some people drive “the crap” out of their cars, others don’t. Glad you are enjoying your car.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:39 PM

AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Well, some people drive “the crap” out of their cars, others don’t. Glad you are enjoying your car.
Thank you, Stream, I am enjoying it every time I drive it, brother!

While I have owned and babied a number of high performance cars, I specifically bought the SL 550 to drive rain or shine, as often as possible, and spend more time in the seat than with the clay bar. That’s not to say it isn’t garaged or meticulously maintained, but it does get dirty, a lot, and it does get pushed as I enjoy top up or down days in the twisting mountain roads here in the PNW. The car is simply magnificent at speed in tight corners and in the open plains just past the mountains. And for me, lowering was the icing on the cake, giving me the more firm but still luxurious ride characteristic I was looking for.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Well said Wolf
Old 07-24-2020, 10:21 AM

This is what I ended with

I did take the advice of Wolfman going with the Brabus lowering springs. I have not had any of the problems that many stated they have.
I think this did the job. The Brabus manufacturer stated my car would lower 1.5 inches in the rear and 1 inch in the front. However, I got 2.5 inches in the rear and 1.5 inches in the front.
I did have to have all four tires realigned as well as the cambers adjusted. Total investment with labor and parts: About $1,110.00. Here are the photos: Note: I did go to a larger rear tire as well. A 295/35/20

The following users liked this post:
Wolfman (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:25 AM

I did alter the exhaust as well to create a somewhat louder roar. The photos are before and after:

With mid Mufflers

Mid Mufflers removed replace with 2 inch stainless steel pipe (welded of course).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Lowering