SL/R231: How to check if a SL has ABC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,231 Likes on 2,012 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
How to check if a SL has ABC

ABC suspensions have often been a topic of discussion and unlike the prior generation SL's, the current R231 generation only has these as a pricey $4k option.
As a result, the majority of SL's since 2013 only ride on standard springs rather the more sophisticated ABC suspension.

So how do you find out if a new or used car has ABC? Even MB dealers do not list the options of a car correctly and the majority of used car dealers don't even know what ABC stands for.

I have been asked many times about ABC so I thought it might be helpful to give you a quick and bulletproof way to check it out.
This info is for the SL400, 450, 500 and 550 only. The SL63 and SL65 will always have ABC, so no need to check...

1. If you have good pictures of the center console of the car or can sit in it, here is how it will look like:

From 2013-2016 you will see the following, circled in RED. Please note that all model years are based on US launch dates and the rest of the world will likely be one year earlier...
The left suspension button will show the word ABC between SPORT and COMF. The two center buttons will show the "raise" button (Left) and the other shows the Display button (Right). When pressed, it will show the suspension info on the Comand Display.
If the SL has two blank buttons instead, it just has the standard suspension with springs

From 2017 (Facelift model) on you will see the following, circled in RED:

The two center buttons will show the "raise" button (Left) and the other shows the Display button (Right). When pressed, it will show the suspension info on the Comand Display.
If the SL has one blank button instead, it just has the standard suspension with springs

2. What to do if no good pictures are available?
By default, sellers provide the VIN number of the car. This can be requested from a private seller and every dealer will list it. Besides running the essential Auto-Check or Carfax, you can check all the options of the car using a VIN decoder.
I recommend this site: https://www.lastvin.com

When the VIN is entered you will see all essentials details and options the car comes with.

The standard suspension on springs is options code 485 (Comfort Suspension or Comfort Running Gear).
Non-US models may have the additional 10mm lowered suspension, options code 486 (Sport Suspension).
The ABC suspension is options code 487. If option 487 is not listed, the car does not have it.

Starting from MY17, ABC comes with Curve function included and adds the Curve mode as a standalone Dynamic Select Mode.

If you happen to have the original build sheet (window sticker), ABC was never sold as a part of a package. It has always been a standalone option and should be listed individually.

I hope this info helps you in your selection!

EDIT: Here are images of the SL when equipped with standard springs instead. The center consoles will look like this:

Last edited by Wolfman; 02-12-2023 at 01:51 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Cratylus (10-09-2023), eddieo45 (04-01-2019), MBNUT1 (12-27-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,564 Likes on 2,037 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
This is an excellent thread, Wolf. As someone who came out of a 2004 SL500, that I had for 12 years, the idea of ABC was not really on my radar when I bought my CPO 2013 SL550. The car was gorgeous, with only 11,000 miles on it. When I test drove it, I attributed the less than wonderful ride to the run flat tires it had and just “knew” that I could cure the problem with a nice set of conventional tires. Well, I put the new tires on and the ride improved, but it was still a far cry from the ride of my 2004. It was only then that I realized just how special ABC is and what a dramatic difference it makes in the way an SL rides. For folks in the U.S., coming out of a 2003 to 2012 SL, a word to the wise: the vast majority of R231, non-AMG SL’s out there do NOT have ABC like your old car had as standard equipment and thus will ride QUITE differently.
Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 AM

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Angry

I special ordered my SL ($120K) not even considering that ABC would not be included as it had been on my previous model. Guess what? I keep telling my wife, this thing rides like a potato wagon irregardless of tires or air pressure. Geez!, what a rip.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by docsout
I special ordered my SL ($120K) not even considering that ABC would not be included as it had been on my previous model. Guess what? I keep telling my wife, this thing rides like a potato wagon irregardless of tires or air pressure. Geez!, what a rip.
That is a crying shame and I blame the dealer. Most sales people at the dealers will never mention, let alone suggest ABC. They want to sell you a car in inventory or a car they can dealer-trade for. Even if you are willing to wait the 4 to 6 months for a special order, they would prefer that you not order ABC, just in case you don’t take the car upon arrival. It is my opinion that one big reason that SL sales tanked after 2012, is because of ABC being made optional in the U.S. and virtually none were ordered with the $4K+ option for dealer stock.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 292 Posts
2013 SL550 (Lux Sport), 2006 CL55 AMG (Muscle). S550 (Wife's Sedan)
If you own, (or are about to buy), a 231 without ABC, then consider going with 18-inch wheels and non-run flat tires to enhance the ride comfort.

Note: 18-inch wheels and tires were the 'standard from the factory size' back when the 231 was first introduced in 2013. The 19-inch wheel/tire sizes were then optional at extra cost, and the brochure included a footnote stipulating that larger than standard wheels and tires would reduce ride comfort, while increasing the possibility of damage from road hazards.

Why is the 'Factory Standard' significant? It means that 18-inch wheels and tires were used as the 'baseline sizes' for 231 ride comfort, (i.e. MB's 'factory intended' ride comfort for non-ABC 231's).

However, many non-ABC owners of the 231 still felt the ride was a bit harsh even with 18-inch wheels and tires simply because 'run flat' tires are also a 'factory standard'. The good news is that by replacing those 'factory run flats' with 'non-run flat tires' you can achieve a 'better than factory standard' level of ride comfort for your non-ABC 231.

You will also need to keep your suspension setting in 'comfort mode', since selecting the 'sport suspension mode' will make the ride feel noticeably more harsh.

Click on the link below to view all available 'genuine' Mercedes-Benz 18-inch wheel options for your 231. To see how they will look on the 231, just click one of the 18" wheels shown at the site below to view the 'on the car image' there.

Note that the rarely seen in the USA 15-spoke 18" MB wheel is similar in appearance to the 19-inch AMG Multispoke wheel for the 231 when seen 'on the car'. (You can see both of those wheel options and all available MB and AMG wheel styles and sizes by simply altering the linked websites's search criteria).

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mer.../all/price_asc

Below are (3) recommended non-run flat (Michelin) Tire options:

- Pilot Sport A/S 3+ - (Ultra High Performance All Season)
- Pilot Sport 4S - (Max Performance Summer)
- Pilot Super Sport - (Max Performance Summer)

Last edited by bob55; 04-03-2019 at 11:24 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bob55:
MBNUT1 (12-27-2023), Utopia Texas (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 04:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Subaru Outback
ABC and Tires

Thanks for the very useful thread on ABC identification.

My 2013 SL550 does not have ABC, but seems to have an ok ride. Since I'm in Arizona, I assume I can mount any summer tire and be fine here....
Old 04-22-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
If you've owned an R230, ABC is a nightmare to maintain and fix, and no way in hell should one consider it unless they're leasing. I'm glad it's an option on the 550 now and not included, i'm shopping around for an R231, they've dropped a lot in prices. Was considering an E550 coupe but i'd miss the drop top.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by FxFormat
If you've owned an R230, ABC is a nightmare to maintain and fix, and no way in hell should one consider it unless they're leasing. I'm glad it's an option on the 550 now and not included, i'm shopping around for an R231, they've dropped a lot in prices. Was considering an E550 coupe but i'd miss the drop top.
Actually, I think it better said ABC is a nightmare if NOT maintained, and proper maintenance is not a big deal. Look, EVERY R231 SL63 and SL65, has ABC as standard equipment. A huge number of W222 S Class cars have it with MBC (Magic Body Control) which is ABC with a camera watching the road. Since the early days of ABC, the components have been refined, upgraded and the overall system has been greatly improved. Horror stories about R230 cars, where the ABC system was NEVER properly maintained, are a thing of the past with the R231’s. MBUSA was brain dead in removing ABC as standard equipment on the SL’s. AND, in some countries, Canada amongst them, ABC IS standard equipment on the R231’s. The system is magnificent. The car is complicated. If ABC is properly maintained, MANY other parts of the car will probably fail before the ABC does. Just sayin.
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
garymac (04-23-2019), rorywquin (04-23-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 10:23 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
SL 600
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Actually, I think it better said ABC is a nightmare if NOT maintained, and proper maintenance is not a big deal. Look, EVERY R231 SL63 and SL65, has ABC as standard equipment. A huge number of W222 S Class cars have it with MBC (Magic Body Control) which is ABC with a camera watching the road. Since the early days of ABC, the components have been refined, upgraded and the overall system has been greatly improved. Horror stories about R230 cars, where the ABC system was NEVER properly maintained, are a thing of the past with the R231’s. MBUSA was brain dead in removing ABC as standard equipment on the SL’s. AND, in some countries, Canada amongst them, ABC IS standard equipment on the R231’s. The system is magnificent. The car is complicated. If ABC is properly maintained, MANY other parts of the car will probably fail before the ABC does. Just sayin.
I mean the only maintenance we can do to it is change the fluid, not sure what else we could do to maintain it more. Maybe you're right, maybe the new system is better and improved, but the car hasn't been around long enough for us to make the assumption that it'll outlast the car. I've replaced my fair share of hoses and lines and dampeners on my SL600 that left a sour taste in my mouth. Too bad the V12 makes it awfully difficult to retrofit regular coils/springs or else i'd done it a long time ago. there are promises made to fabricate sway bars for it but i keep hearing the run around and people waiting ages. Easier if i had the SL55.

With that being said, my next car will not have ABC, no matter how robust the system might be, i'm not taking anymore chances. I'm a young lad, so i don'd mind the stiffness of regular suspension, the peace of mind that a hose won't blow out on me on the highway is very rewarding. I reckon the car will be a tad lighter too no?
Old 04-22-2019, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I mean the only maintenance we can do to it is change the fluid, not sure what else we could do to maintain it more. Maybe you're right, maybe the new system is better and improved, but the car hasn't been around long enough for us to make the assumption that it'll outlast the car. I've replaced my fair share of hoses and lines and dampeners on my SL600 that left a sour taste in my mouth. Too bad the V12 makes it awfully difficult to retrofit regular coils/springs or else i'd done it a long time ago. there are promises made to fabricate sway bars for it but i keep hearing the run around and people waiting ages. Easier if i had the SL55.

With that being said, my next car will not have ABC, no matter how robust the system might be, i'm not taking anymore chances. I'm a young lad, so i don'd mind the stiffness of regular suspension, the peace of mind that a hose won't blow out on me on the highway is very rewarding. I reckon the car will be a tad lighter too no?
Well, we all have our own experiences. Sorry to hear about your problems with ABC and if I had experienced the same, I would probably feel like you. I did have a 2004 SL500 that I bought new and kept for 12 years. Only took her out on nice, sunny days and she only had 22,000 miles when I sold her. That said, the ABC pump was replaced about 2007 under warranty, I had the ABC system flushed as recommended and never had another problem with it. I never should have sold that car.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:15 AM
Super Moderator

Not sure why we are wasting time discussing the R230 ABC in this thread.
Just because I had a hard drive crash in my laptop in 2006 I didn't switch to paper either.
Dino333 (04-26-2019), rorywquin (04-23-2019), Streamliner (04-23-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Besides the "hard" ride that ABC mitigates, there are other features which always seem to be overlooked in the pros and cons of ABC discussions.

1) Cameras read the road surface and ABC dynamically adjusts the suspension
2) CV - leans into bends on twisty roads - reducing feeling of being pushed to one side by lateral G forces.
3) Reduces body roll
4) Reduces / eliminates nose diving under hard braking (shorter braking distances???)
5) Ditto on rear end dipping under hard acceleration
6) Can raise the car about 2" - really useful for nose in parking at kerbs, speed humps, steep driveways etc. For those with sore backs, getting in and out will be easier in the raised position. I also always have the car in the raised position when I am washing it....less bending.
7) At higher speeds, ABC lowers the body a further 13mm for improved economy and handling
Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rorywquin
Besides the "hard" ride that ABC mitigates, there are other features which always seem to be overlooked in the pros and cons of ABC discussions.

1) Cameras read the road surface and ABC dynamically adjusts the suspension
2) CV - leans into bends on twisty roads - reducing feeling of being pushed to one side by lateral G forces.
3) Reduces body roll
4) Reduces / eliminates nose diving under hard braking (shorter braking distances???)
5) Ditto on rear end dipping under hard acceleration
6) Can raise the car about 2" - really useful for nose in parking at kerbs, speed humps, steep driveways etc. For those with sore backs, getting in and out will be easier in the raised position. I also always have the car in the raised position when I am washing it....less bending.
7) At higher speeds, ABC lowers the body a further 13mm for improved economy and handling
Ah, No. 1 is incorrect. ABC on the SL is Active Body Control, no cameras. MBC, as on the S Class, is Magic Body Control, which is ABC with the cameras.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (06-12-2020)
Old 04-23-2019, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Streamliner
Ah, No. 1 is incorrect. ABC on the SL is Active Body Control, no cameras. MBC, as on the S Class, is Magic Body Control, which is ABC with the cameras.
From my user manual and it is also mentioned somewhere in the brochure for my car.

Suspension tuning General notes

The electro-hydraulically controlled suspension features improved driving dynamics, driving safety and ride comfort. You can also choose between a sporty, a particularly sporty, a com- fortable and a comfortable mode with cornering function (CURVE).

The suspension is continuously tuned to each wheel individually and depends on:
the road surface condition, e.g. bumps the vehicle load
the drive program selected

Old 04-23-2019, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

From my user manual and it is also mentioned somewhere in the brochure for my car.

The electro-hydraulically controlled suspension features improved driving dynamics, driving safety and ride comfort. You can also choose between a sporty, a particularly sporty, a com- fortable and a comfortable mode with cornering function (CURVE).

I see what you mean and I would LOVE IT, if the SL had the cameras, but I don't think they do. Hey, Wolfman: Give us the skinny here!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
I also forgot that ABC also features "crosswind stabilisation"
Old 04-23-2019, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Streamliner is correct that only MBC uses cameras and software top calculate pro-active situational damping. ABC does its continuous tuning is by reading each damper and making adjustments according to the settings associated with the drive mode. You can see the damper movements live on the ABC screen while driving.
MBNUT1 (12-27-2023), rorywquin (04-24-2019), Streamliner (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
There are still 7 other good reasons to have ABC.

Last edited by rorywquin; 04-24-2019 at 05:14 AM.
Streamliner (04-24-2019)
Old 06-10-2020, 01:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bentley Continental GTS / SL 550/SL 63/Dodge Charger/RAM Truck/2021 Genesis GV 80
Suspension

Unfortunately, I have the standard suspension so I would need to do the alteration manually.
Only want a 1 inch lower stand. Best route??

Thanks Wolfman,

Joe
Old 06-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Originally Posted by Wolfman
...From 2017 (Facelift model) on you will see the following, circled in RED:

The two center buttons will show the "raise" button (Left) and the other shows the Display button (Right). When pressed, it will show the suspension info on the Comand Display.
If the SL has two blank buttons instead, it just has the standard suspension with springs
Firstly, these are beautiful photos for illustrating the subject(!), and secondly, my '17 450 w/o ABC only has one blank button...the second from the left. I believe the other buttons are the same as with ABC.

As to all AMGs having ABC as standard, of course they do, but if one is contemplating the purchase of an SL63/65, there is the optional code 486 "dual-mode sport suspension" to be very aware of. The standard AMG version of ABC, even when placed in "Comfort" mode, is tuned slightly firmer than the ABC that is optional on non-AMG 450/550 cars. The optional-on-AMG 486 Dual-Mode Sport Suspension is apparently an entirely different kettle of fish. This setup is reported as being quite stiff, even in Comfort mode...and when in Sport mode, is so stiff as to be considered for "track use only". Some here have commented that, for example, theirs wives refuse to ride in their 486-equipped SLs...even when in Comfort mode. So, if looking at AMG SLs, be aware that, if you care at all about comfort, you may want to consider by-passing 486-equipped cars. And unlike non-AMG SLs, (correct me if I'm wrong here) the only way to determine if an AMG is or is not 486-equipped is to run its V.I.N. through the above-mentioned V.I.N. de-coder.

Last edited by Dr. Manhattan; 06-11-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
Firstly, these are beautiful photos for illustrating the subject(!), and secondly, my '17 450 w/o ABC only has one blank button...the second from the left. I believe the other buttons are the same as with ABC.

As to all AMGs having ABC as standard, of course they do, but if one is contemplating the purchase of an SL63/65, there is the optional code 486 "dual-mode sport suspension" to be very aware of. The standard AMG version of ABC, even when placed in "Comfort" mode, is tuned slightly firmer than the ABC that is optional on non-AMG 450/550 cars. The optional-on-AMG 486 Dual-Mode Sport Suspension is apparently an entirely different kettle of fish. This setup is reported as being quite stiff, even in Comfort mode...and when in Sport mode, is so stiff as to be considered for "track use only". Some here have commented that, for example, theirs wives refuse to ride in their 486-equipped SLs...even when in Comfort mode. So, if looking at AMG SLs, be aware that, if you care at all about comfort, you may want to consider by-passing 486-equipped cars. And unlike non-AMG SLs, (correct me if I'm wrong here) the only way to determine if an AMG is or is not 486-equipped is to run its V.I.N. through the above-mentioned V.I.N. de-coder.
You are right, I didn't include any AMG-specific ABC. My primary goal was to help people understand how to check on ABC is the sales man is of no help or simply doesn't know.
There was an older thread discussing the very same issue: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-how-tell.html

AMG meanwhile has made these buttons a three way button (three firmness stages) on other models but never made it part of the SL63. If the window sticker is available or iPacket, you would see the $1500 486 Sport Suspension or via VIN lookup. Sadly there is nothing physical to differentiate the damper settings...
MBNUT1 (12-27-2023)
Old 06-11-2020, 07:28 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bentley Continental GTS / SL 550/SL 63/Dodge Charger/RAM Truck/2021 Genesis GV 80
I do not have those two buttons
Old 06-11-2020, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by josephdonofrio
I do not have those two buttons
No ABC, no buttons...
I have updated my original post to include images of SL's on springs, so that should match yours...

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-11-2020 at 12:51 PM.
rorywquin (06-12-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:12 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Again, dynamite photos! There can no longer be any doubt by anyone who has seen these photos...
Wolfman (06-11-2020)
Old 12-31-2021, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
‘16 SL550 Mille Miglia, ‘21 GLE63s
Damn it! No buttons!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: How to check if a SL has ABC