SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: How to apply MB Seal Lubricant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 07:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sl400 (450 USA)
How to apply MB Seal Lubricant?

As a result of reading a few posts on here about lubricating the roof seals on the SL, I finally managed to acquire a bottle of the recommended MB lubricant from my local MB stealership.
Cost = £40 (Ouch)

The only instruction supplied with the bottle is the BIG RED multi-language label waning about getting the stuff on anything but the rubber seals and throwing away ANYTHING that this stuff touches apart from the rubber seals.

Question - Is there anybody on the forum that has actually used this stuff and if so, what is the best/safest way to apply it?

Many thanks in advance for your valuable assistance.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
2013 SL550, 2017 GLE350, 2018 Audi Q3
Use a small cloth that you can throw away after use. Wear disposable nitrile gloves. Put a small amount on the cloth and rub into the seals.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Looks like the bottle of Krytox GPL-105 that I have.

Get some IPA and give all the rubber a good clean with a cloth.

I used my fingers to rub it in. It is apparently suitable for the food industry so it should not be a problem on your fingers. A little goes a long way. Don't get it where you don't want it, it never comes off.

My came with a screw on cloth applicator and the nozzle.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
SL 350 R231
Hi What's IPA and at what age would the process of treating the seals be. My car is now seven years old so should I go ahead and do it and how long in between applications.
Thanks
Old 10-11-2020, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Bay Leaf
Hi What's IPA and at what age would the process of treating the seals be. My car is now seven years old so should I go ahead and do it and how long in between applications.
Thanks
Hopefully previous owners have looked after the seals. If you have no leaks then good......

Most people use gummi pflege or some sort of silicon (silicone is not generally recommended) . Your seals may be coated with one of them. Krytox (if that is what you are using) should go onto a nice clean surface.

IPA is form of alcohol but without other gunk in it. You can dilute it with water by about 80% for cleaning.

I'm new to krytox but from all I've read it lasts for several years and is what teh manufacturers use.

Gummi Pflege which I used on my SLK, needs reapplication annually.

Gummi Pflege is cheap. Krytox is expensive.

It is worth doing.
Old 10-14-2020, 01:07 PM

SL 350 R231
Thanks for the info. I'll have to get some.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 PM
VII

Received 98 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 S65, 2014 SLK55 (Previous 2013 SLK350, 2008 CLS63, 2006 E350, 2006 CLS500, 2005 C230K)
Do NOT use alcohol on the rubber seals. Clean with water and mild soap if necessary.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Bentley Continental GTS / SL 550/SL 63/Dodge Charger/RAM Truck/2021 Genesis GV 80
Krytex GPL 105

Originally Posted by Ex cop oap
As a result of reading a few posts on here about lubricating the roof seals on the SL, I finally managed to acquire a bottle of the recommended MB lubricant from my local MB stealership.
Cost = £40 (Ouch)

The only instruction supplied with the bottle is the BIG RED multi-language label waning about getting the stuff on anything but the rubber seals and throwing away ANYTHING that this stuff touches apart from the rubber seals.

Question - Is there anybody on the forum that has actually used this stuff and if so, what is the best/safest way to apply it?

Many thanks in advance for your valuable assistance.
I used the Krytex GPL 105. My application was simple, wipe down all of the rubber seals within the vehicle. I have the SL so, I held the top partially open while doing this entire process. (Yes, the top will either close or open completely while doing so after a period of time, I just worked around it). After cleaning the rubber moldings/seals. I applied a small amount of the Krytex along each seal. With a rubber glove on, I smoothed and rubbed in the Krytex in a very even covering fashion. Be cautious of the roof falling on you and or pinching body parts. I even did my door molding as well. But the most important was the seals on the convertible roof and the interior. I used about a half of a bottle to do every interior portion of the seals including the trunk seals.

Best of Luck!
Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sl400 (450 USA)
Originally Posted by josephdonofrio
I used the Krytex GPL 105. My application was simple, wipe down all of the rubber seals within the vehicle. I have the SL so, I held the top partially open while doing this entire process. (Yes, the top will either close or open completely while doing so after a period of time, I just worked around it). After cleaning the rubber moldings/seals. I applied a small amount of the Krytex along each seal. With a rubber glove on, I smoothed and rubbed in the Krytex in a very even covering fashion. Be cautious of the roof falling on you and or pinching body parts. I even did my door molding as well. But the most important was the seals on the convertible roof and the interior. I used about a half of a bottle to do every interior portion of the seals including the trunk seals.

Best of Luck!
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions, I appreciate everybody’s comments. I’m going to give it a go as soon as we get some half decent weather
Old 11-06-2020, 01:26 PM

SL 350 R231
Yes me to and thanks for all the info.
Old 11-06-2020, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Ex cop oap
Thanks for the comprehensive instructions, I appreciate everybody’s comments. I’m going to give it a go as soon as we get some half decent weather
I spoke to the UK importer of this stuff and his advise was that a little goes a long way. Don't over do it!