SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Preventive Maintenance Recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 01:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
'13 SL63, '06 SL600, '98 S600
Originally Posted by fun33
MB had it in their shop 3 times. Said they could not duplicate the problem and never mentioned a code to be. On occasions, when I try to put the top down, the message "vario roof operation" pops up but the roof does not move. Sometimes I can hear a mechanical "clunk" from the trunk area but still no movement. It I lift the top-down switch (to open), then press the top-down switch (to close) then lift it a second time, the roof may go down. As I said in my original post, the best way to fix it is to exit the car, manually open the trunk, cycle the luggage cover and close the trunk manually. At that point, the top-down works normally while seated in the car. The top will then function properly for weeks, sometimes a month, but the failure to open problem always eventually returns. It's one of those intermittent things that is so hard to diagnose unless it fails while at the dealership.
Sorry for the late reply, but I have experienced the intermittent vario roof message as well and it’s not related to the microswitch for the luggage cover. From what I noticed, both driver and passenger windows are supposed to roll down as the vario roof is opening. I believe there is a sensor that detects whether all 4 windows are rolling down as the vario roof is opening. If the sensor detects that one of your windows is not rolling down as it should after a couple of seconds, then the roof will display the “vario roof operation” message. Occasionally, my driver’s window will not roll down at the same time as my rear quarter panels and passenger window are which triggers the message but it happens very infrequently (and I do not have any issues with operation of the windows using the switches) that I have not brought the car to the dealer to diagnose. This has been the cause of my message every time I get it, but a second pull of the roof switch will usually result in the driver’s window rolling down as it should and the vario roof continuing its operation.

Next time it happens to you, check to see if one window is not rolling down as it should. I suspect that your second pull at the roof open switch is what’s causing the roof to continue its operation, not opening the door or re-seating the luggage cover.

Last edited by althethird; 09-25-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by althethird
Sorry for the late reply, but I have experienced the intermittent vario roof message as well and it’s not related to the microswitch for the luggage cover. From what I noticed, both driver and passenger windows are supposed to roll down as the vario roof is opening. I believe there is a sensor that detects whether all 4 windows are rolling down as the vario roof is opening. If the sensor detects that one of your windows is not rolling down as it should after a couple of seconds, then the roof will display the “vario roof operation” message. Occasionally, my driver’s window will not roll down at the same time as my rear quarter panels and passenger window are which triggers the message but it happens very infrequently (and I do not have any issues with operation of the windows using the switches) that I have not brought the car to the dealer to diagnose. This has been the cause of my message every time I get it, but a second pull of the roof switch will usually result in the driver’s window rolling down as it should and the vario roof continuing its operation.

Next time it happens to you, check to see if one window is not rolling down as it should. I suspect that your second pull at the roof open switch is what’s causing the roof to continue its operation, not opening the door or re-seating the luggage cover.

Thank you for that detailed response. I think I may have been experiencing that exact same issue. I do recall the windows operating in the manner you described. I'll specifically look for that during operation now.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,978 Likes on 3,127 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Does anyone know about this list? It's for MY16 which includes R231.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY16_C_CLS_GL_GLE_E_S_SL_SLK.pdf (554.8 KB, 164 views)
Old 09-25-2021, 09:45 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
R231 SL63 & R129 SL500
Originally Posted by chassis
Interesting, it seems a simplified version of the 2013 booklet - https://www.mercedesbenzraleigh.com/...ce_Booklet.pdf

In particular, relevant to the other discussion on automatic transmission fluid changes, those intervals seem to have been brought forward by 1 year or 10,000 miles for both AMG and non-AMG SLs. Curious.
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 09:57 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2017 550SL - 2018 560S
Originally Posted by ram_g
Interesting, it seems a simplified version of the 2013 booklet - https://www.mercedesbenzraleigh.com/...ce_Booklet.pdf

In particular, relevant to the other discussion on automatic transmission fluid changes, those intervals seem to have been brought forward by 1 year or 10,000 miles for both AMG and non-AMG SLs. Curious.

Thank you for posting this
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-26-2021)
Old 12-21-2023, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,279 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by chassis
Interesting that the Low-Temperature Circuit (specifically for the air to liquid intercooler) gets the coolant replaced for engines M277 and M279, but never for M276.