SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: ABC pump pulsation damper replacement - hex head popped off - WTH?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 04:12 PM

Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts
R231 SL 63
ABC pump pulsation damper replacement - hex head popped off - WTH?

Ordered a pulsation damper to replace the noisy one on my SL63.

While trying to get the old one off, the 17mm hex head snapped right off. Unbelievable!

Now what do I do? That thing is on there solid and without a way to grab onto it, not sure how it’s going to come out without taking a lot of stuff apart that I’d rather not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2023, 10:03 AM

R231 SL 63
Just to update, I did some searching across this site as well as some others, and I have a couple of options. Starting with smacking the damper housing some to break the seized connection:

Option 1: Use a strap wrench - similar to an oil filter wrench to try taking it off that way with the least amount of mess.
Option 2: Grind a slot into the housing and with said slot use a cold chisel to get it to turn.

Will try later to get it off later today.

The Mrs. actually asked me if I was sure I knew what I was doing, lol. Never before has that come from her regarding cars, boats, motorcycles, etc. She then added that maybe the AMG is a little too delicate? UGH!!

Old 12-20-2023, 11:22 PM

R231 SL 63
Well, strap wrenches did not work. Chain wrenches didn’t either (no room). Eventually, it came down to a cutoff wheel, a cold chisel, and a ball-peen hammer.

What a mother f-monger to take off! It was seized in there pretty good, but it eventually gave way. Once it moved, it came off by hand with little effort.

One thing I noticed is that the fluid smells a little burnt. The color is no longer green, but instead, is a clean-ish motor oil color. I guess it’s time to flush it and change the filter. I’ll try to do that over the holiday break this coming week.

Anyone have a line on where to get the fluid at a good price?

Old 12-20-2023, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,279 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
FCP Euro. Or Amazon. Do you require CHF-11S?
Old 12-21-2023, 11:48 AM

R231 SL 63
Originally Posted by JettaRed
FCP Euro. Or Amazon. Do you require CHF-11S?
Yep, CHF11s.

Looks like this is probably the best deal going. A proper flush, I believe, takes 8-9 liters to do correctly. The following is 6 for less than the price of three on Amazon (FCP Euro is a little cheap than Amazon but not by much):

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...ucts%20(Backup)
The following users liked this post:
Dr. Manhattan (12-21-2023)
Old 12-21-2023, 11:49 AM

R231 SL 63
For US buyers, they’re out of Pennsylvania - shipping shouldn’t be bad either.
Old 12-21-2023, 06:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts
'17 SL450, '17 Volt, '17 Malibu Hybrid, '96 Corvette GS coupe
Originally Posted by TomZVB

Ordered a pulsation damper to replace the noisy one on my SL63.

While trying to get the old one off, the 17mm hex head snapped right off. Unbelievable!

Now what do I do? That thing is on there solid and without a way to grab onto it, not sure how it’s going to come out without taking a lot of stuff apart that I’d rather not.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Jeez...what a bummer! Glad you finally prevailed. In retrospect, do you think it would have been possible to heat the junction a bit (torch) before going at that 17mm hex? Great post on the fluid source, btw. I'm not an ABC owner, but I sure tried hard to find a 450 with it. I did find one, after a year of searching, but it had been ridden very hard and put away soaking wet. I had to pass on it and ended up with a non-ABC car instead. Who knows, there may yet be one in my future...
The following users liked this post:
TomZVB (12-21-2023)
Old 12-22-2023, 12:08 AM

R231 SL 63
Originally Posted by Dr. Manhattan
Jeez...what a bummer! Glad you finally prevailed. In retrospect, do you think it would have been possible to heat the junction a bit (torch) before going at that 17mm hex? Great post on the fluid source, btw. I'm not an ABC owner, but I sure tried hard to find a 450 with it. I did find one, after a year of searching, but it had been ridden very hard and put away soaking wet. I had to pass on it and ended up with a non-ABC car instead. Who knows, there may yet be one in my future...
There is a lot of plastic and rubber in that area. Heating it with a torch is probably not a good idea. Removing the pump was beginning to look like a possibility, but I’m glad I was able to get it off with some persuasion. Before trying to pull it, I did smack the ‘grenade’ a couple of times to try to loosen it. Obviously, it had no effect. Typical dissimilar metals interaction. Others have had similar circumstances so I followed their recommendations - very thankful for the DIY enthusiasm and community here!

Love the ABC! And the pulsation damper fixed my issue, thankfully.

Hope you find yours! Haven’t driven a non-ABC car, but I’m sure she handles really well regardless.