SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: Michelin PS4S and CUP2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 01:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Well a pair 195/30/20 Pilot Sport 4S arrived Tuesday that should have been MO1 but were MO so I refused them without any quibble. MO is for saloon cars designed for comfort whereas MO1 is for AMG and performance handling and therefore maybe non MO would be better

So I ordered Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport that are an XL tyre but these were contused with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s 285/30/20 as the Super sort are yet again only available in 295/30/20 so another cancelled order. Two 295/30/20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport are again on order again from another tyre shop as the one I was using wanted 100UKP more than where I have now ordered them

I chose Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport them and in comparisons with the PS4S the rears are better in aquaplaning as they clear the water faster plus the fronts are reports say mutch better turning in

Well so the video's etc say
as does do a lot of others but the PS4S are more progressive tuning in. Well my big complaint about the SL63AMG on Continentals Sport Contract 5P (MO) is its relatively poor handling in particular its awful resistance to turning in so hopefully these will cure that problem as currently the cars the worst handling at high speed I have driven in 3 decades and I don't think it should be so

So the tyres did not arrive this afternoon and hopefully will for tomorrow morning as I have a MOT re-test book

Actually all I have done for a week is try to book 4 tyres (MUTTER) and watch videos of them. The person who does than video err Jonathan seem spot on and unusually for such videos unbiased

If you want Cup2 or Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport in UK everyone seems to have them in stock

Last edited by Bilbo7; 07-09-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: miss type
Old 07-07-2022, 03:04 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
As an aside this now a bit dated video at 3.45 minutes exactly sums up my hate them impression of Continental Sport Contact 5P other than the front breaks away at what I think are relatively slow speed (GRIN) but says the 6 is better but the Michelin Supersport still gives far more feed back and this is pre PS4S days

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/...-Contact-6.htm

Old 07-08-2022, 02:20 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi All
Well the Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport are fitted and look better than the Continental 5P and the rim protector is tight to the rim edge I have no idea if that's better or worse than halfway but the rim is a lot more recessed. I will add some images tomorrow
They instantly feel different which is odd ..............? Still not used in anger as all tyres should always do 100miles or 3 heat ups
Tread left 5.5mm outer 5.5 middle but only 3.5mm and the cut was 52mm (2")

52mm cut road damage ?

Later I will post some feed back once the front wheels have been buffered/diamond cut from Channel Tunnel train on the much narrower top deck (SIGH) and the same make/model put on the front
They look err a tad close to the rear wings!.......... or to you over the pond ‘arches’ or ‘panels’ or ‘bumpers' or fenders I don't know whats in fashion these days in the USA anyway ‘bumpers' of 'fenders. always sounds like a comment on poor driving Superswiss you wrote
It looks like we have the same sizes
but on checking the C63CS have 10.5" rears but the Sl63AMG are 10" making the 195 the mid size on 10.5" and the largest size on the 10". Not nick-picking just thought it was worth saying for information to others

Last comment GOSH they look SO big sitting off the wheel

Old 07-09-2022, 01:20 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi well 2 images of the new tyres DOT week 10 2022 so nice and new and I have concerns that they could hit the rear wing

As you can see the top 25mm (1") will go within the wing but I doubt the rest will do so but the depth of the wing above the tyre is only 70 mm (2.75") making it more a rainwater spray off the tyres catchment area

Looking at the old 285mm that must have still been true so does the ABC suspension stop upward wheel travel before the tyre reaches the wing. I had though with the 285's there would be 25mm (1") clearance and 5mm more on a tyre would be irrelevant but maybe n a 10J rm that 5mm becomes 8mm
The only solutions to find a dumpy test road where we have speed bumps I always raise the suspension or have it rodeo on the Star System. Still a few say they have had this tyre set up on their sL63AMG's

So am I just having OTT worry moment.......................OPINIONS please?

Old 07-10-2022, 02:05 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
billyp218
I have 295/30/19 PS4S on my SL63's rear, and they fit fine
Firstly thank you and everyone else for all the replies

billyp218.......My tyres are OH SO CLOSE to the bodywork and a slightly buckled wheel would be very dramaticis that also true of your PS4s?

The cars been down 2 roads full of tall speed bumps and the tyres did not hit the body so a couple of goes at OTT fast 0-60 as the body should and does did down on the suspension helping tracking..........Good news virtually no wheel spin that's IMPRESSIVE

Well al this started just as a comparison between 2 tyres in the 295/63/20 size but unexpectedly became about a massive tyre shortage in the UK so negating my fished for choices and I need a tyre to keep the car on the road in all this nice weather 31C here today. That lack that does not help with prices
So no PS4s in 295 and forget finding MO1 as I have said 1-2 months away and they anyway they do not manufacture them in 285 width. There are no Continental 5P or the new 6 which are made in 285 width and Goodyear Eagle F1 supersport are only available in the asymmetrical 5 or may also 6
Goodyear Eagle F1 supersport are their latest tyre and only available in 295 width

I had intended to but forgot to measure the starting tread depth but I will do tomorrow and add it here!

Woolfman maybe should this all be moved to SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231 ? As it started on just tyres its posted here where many other chats happen on tyres and I find more feedback. Now its tyres vs Sl63 AMG bodywork you may wish to move it?

Old 07-10-2022, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Bilbo7
Hi well 2 images of the new tyres DOT week 10 2022 so nice and new and I have concerns that they could hit the rear wing

As you can see the top 25mm (1") will go within the wing but I doubt the rest will do so but the depth of the wing above the tyre is only 70 mm (2.75") making it more a rainwater spray off the tyres catchment area

Looking at the old 285mm that must have still been true so does the ABC suspension stop upward wheel travel before the tyre reaches the wing. I had though with the 285's there would be 25mm (1") clearance and 5mm more on a tyre would be irrelevant but maybe n a 10J rm that 5mm becomes 8mm
The only solutions to find a dumpy test road where we have speed bumps I always raise the suspension or have it rodeo on the Star System. Still a few say they have had this tyre set up on their sL63AMG's

So am I just having OTT worry moment.......................OPINIONS please?
Not sure what you mean. Are you concerned the tire could hit the fender lip when the suspension is compressed? If so, the chance of that is absolute zero. First, the stock suspension is too high and second, the tire is too inset. When the suspension compresses the angle of the wheel changes as well (top of tire goes inwards).

Our car was lowered and uses spacers to widen the stance. Also ABC and same wheels...

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-11-2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2022, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Another example...

Here is how our E63s looked with no issues. Lowered and spacers...

Old 07-10-2022, 03:49 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG Sold 2010 E550 Coupe totaled '13 SL550 current and loving it!
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Not sure what you mean. Are you concerned the tire could hit the fender lip when the suspension is compressed? If so, the chance of that is absolute zero. First, the stock suspension is too high and second, the tire is too are inset. When the suspension compresses the angle of the wheel changes as well (top of tire goes inwards).

Our car was lowered and uses spacers to widen the stance. Also ABC and same wheels...

Would you mind posting which spacers you used as I may be interested. Did the spacers you used come with longer wheel lugs/bolts? Thank you Wolfie
Old 07-11-2022, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by griza
Would you mind posting which spacers you used as I may be interested. Did the spacers you used come with longer wheel lugs/bolts? Thank you Wolfie
H&R Trac spacers. The rear was 20mm and uses its own bolts, so stock bolts work. The fronts were 15mm if memory serves and extended bolts need to be purchased with the spacers
The following users liked this post:
griza (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 03:49 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman

Your times and comments are much appreciated and yours is a nice looking car

All those nicks out of my rear wheel are curtsy of the Channel Tunnel train top deck last September on the lower deck it gained non the uppers just so much narrower (SIGH) just filled in a wheel claim form but that is only really enough to pay for a touch up at £150 a wheel. Tyre covers fine on the policy but that Mercedes dealerships could do better on a replacement wheel and the insurer's chose the repairer........I am not very happy about that
Not sure what you mean. Are you concerned the tire could hit the fender lip when the suspension is compressed
We yes and no its not the lip but the 20mm bulge for the inner wing behind the lip and 15mm above that's my concern

When the suspension compresses the angle of the wheel changes as well (top of tire goes inwards).
Yes agreed but that err projected trammel angle of swing from the is slight and currently there is a 5mm gap

Guess any comparison between our 2 cars is a dangerous and I think they have differences body shells,

SL63 AMG vs E63s and if you look at say the curves below the filler cap the E63s curves out MUCH more but any image can confuse reality

Your wheel with spaces look maybe less as far out as mine with no spaces!

I had hoped for a comment from another 2015 S 63 AMG owner

Whatever, all down to me now (GRIN)

Old 07-11-2022, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wolfman

Your times and comments are much appreciated and yours is a nice looking car

All those nicks out of my rear wheel are curtsy of the Channel Tunnel train top deck last September on the lower deck it gained non the uppers just so much narrower (SIGH) just filled in a wheel claim form but that is only really enough to pay for a touch up at £150 a wheel. Tyre covers fine on the policy but that Mercedes dealerships could do better on a replacement wheel and the insurer's chose the repairer........I am not very happy about that

We yes and no its not the lip but the 20mm bulge for the inner wing behind the lip and 15mm above that's my concern

Yes agreed but that err projected trammel angle of swing from the is slight and currently there is a 5mm gap

Guess any comparison between our 2 cars is a dangerous and I think they have differences body shells,

SL63 AMG vs E63s and if you look at say the curves below the filler cap the E63s curves out MUCH more but any image can confuse reality

Your wheel with spaces look maybe less as far out as mine with no spaces!

I had hoped for a comment from another 2015 S 63 AMG owner

Whatever, all down to me now (GRIN)
I just showed the E63s as another example. Our SL550 stance with spacers is wider than your SL63. Stock SL550 rear track is 63.0" and the SL63 is 63.1", so nearly identical.
We used 20mm spacers with the same wheel/offset while you use a 295 tire which adds only 5mm to each side. That is negligible for the wheel well (which is the same as the SL550).

Since that car was the facelift model, here are a couple pics of our prior R231 (pre-facelift) with the same setup. Hope this helps!

Old 07-12-2022, 01:03 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman
Ah conversations over the pond taking longer than NASA to the moon

That is negligible for the wheel well (which is the same as the SL550).
Thank you its appreciated but I have to claim total ignorance here in that your in fact any SL 550 looks more bulbous or flared (ah 1960's flared jeans etc and long hair GRIN) at the wheel arches than my SL63 but images can be confusing in detail
Still maybe all is the same but for the boot lid as both have the same boot volume

Why ignorant
here are a couple pics of our prior R231 (pre-facelift)
Its an aggressive stance to to the wheels is the camber angles standard or tweaked

I Had not realized the SL550 was also R231 as I thought only the SL63 was R231
We used 20mm spacers with the same wheel/offset while you use a 295 tire which adds only 5mm to each side
Well that 5mm is the tyre width but really for a 10.5" rim so the sidewall are bunched up and taller plus in effect wider so maybe 8+ a side

"Well part of my concern is and now was In order to reduce fuel consumption and improve the driving dynamics, the vehicle is lowered as its speed increases.
With the SPORT suspension tuning, it is lowered by up to 0.5 in (13mm), with COMFORT by up to 0.2 in (5mm)."

However, comfort will give more rebound than Sport

Anyway so far all fine no body rub marks on the tyres sidewalls

I have not checked tyre depth at new as the tyre depth gauge is currently in the its somewhere universe with the previous one!

Old 07-12-2022, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wolfman
Ah conversations over the pond taking longer than NASA to the moon

Thank you its appreciated but I have to claim total ignorance here in that your in fact any SL 550 looks more bulbous or flared (ah 1960's flared jeans etc and long hair GRIN) at the wheel arches than my SL63 but images can be confusing in detail
Still maybe all is the same but for the boot lid as both have the same boot volume

Why ignorant

Its an aggressive stance to to the wheels is the camber angles standard or tweaked

I Had not realized the SL550 was also R231 as I thought only the SL63 was R231

Well that 5mm is the tyre width but really for a 10.5" rim so the sidewall are bunched up and taller plus in effect wider so maybe 8+ a side

"Well part of my concern is and now was In order to reduce fuel consumption and improve the driving dynamics, the vehicle is lowered as its speed increases.
With the SPORT suspension tuning, it is lowered by up to 0.5 in (13mm), with COMFORT by up to 0.2 in (5mm)."

However, comfort will give more rebound than Sport

Anyway so far all fine no body rub marks on the tyres sidewalls

I have not checked tyre depth at new as the tyre depth gauge is currently in the its somewhere universe with the previous one!
Just relax. Your setup is perfectly fine.
As you already stated, R231 defines the SL model and is the same for all engines. 295 tires are used by others without issues.

For reference:
Height: Our cars were lowered at least 25mm, so no worries on ride height for you.
Bulging: No such thing. Your rear rim is a 10" wide rim which is used for 285 and 295 tires (for example, our E63s used a stock 295 tire with a 10" wide factory rim). Your tire width is 5mm over on each side, not more.

Enjoy your car! Those Michelins are a much better tire than the Continentals
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolfman:
Bilbo7 (07-14-2022), crconsulting (07-12-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 10:28 AM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman

Well there nothing wrong with being cautious fits wrong its quite a serious result. A small point its Goodyear as the UK have no Michelin and the Continentals and Goodyear tyres side by side on wheels look more bulged from rim to tread with the Goodyear

Well my tyre depth gauge has reappeared and new in the center the tread depth is a tad over than 7mm say 7.2
Old 07-14-2022, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wolfman

Well there nothing wrong with being cautious fits wrong its quite a serious result. A small point its Goodyear as the UK have no Michelin and the Continentals and Goodyear tyres side by side on wheels look more bulged from rim to tread with the Goodyear

Well my tyre depth gauge has reappeared and new in the center the tread depth is a tad over than 7mm say 7.2
Completely overlooked that they were Goodyears! I hope you enjoy them; we only had OK experiences with the brand. In regards to bulging, the tires still have the exact dimensions; they just have a different sidewall profile. That's all.
But agree one can never be careful enough but you can rely on the combined knowledge on this forum. Plenty more SL's here in the US than in the UK/Europe and most questions are answered based on real experience...

Look forward to your feedback on how you like the Goodyears vs Continentals!
Old 07-16-2022, 02:22 AM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
Wait, this whole conversation was about weather or not 295s fit? I've been running them for years with 0 issue, and have a new pair of 295s ready to go on.
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (07-17-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 12:54 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Keon

Thank you for your update and comments

In all this my concern was

1 Would they fit 10" rims and with much effort Michelin said they would and that's contrary to a lot of sites on wheel rim vs tyre width. Some Cars have 10.5" rims such as the C63CS
2 I had thought the only SL63 AMG R231 was the body shape of mine and I had concerns that maybe a SL500 had wider wheel arches etc but Wolfman makes the point that SL350/SL400/SL450/SL500 etc are all R231

Old 07-16-2022, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Keon

1 Would they fit 10" rims and with much effort Michelin said they would and that's contrary to a lot of sites on wheel rim vs tyre width. Some Cars have 10.5" rims such as the C63CS
2 I had thought the only SL63 AMG R231 was the body shape of mine and I had concerns that maybe a SL500 had wider wheel arches etc but Wolfman makes the point that SL350/SL400/SL450/SL500 etc are all R231

Wrong info. The C63s 19" wheel is 9 1/2" wide. They don't have a 10.5" rim or even a 10" rim. That's why I mentioned our E63s with stock 295's using a 10" rim.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Keon
Wait, this whole conversation was about weather or not 295s fit? I've been running them for years with 0 issue, and have a new pair of 295s ready to go on.
Is your the facelift version?

My head hurts following this thread.

Is the short answer - "A 295/30/19 tyre is a perfect substitute for the factory 285/30/19 (which are like chicken’s teeth here) on a facelift SL400/500?”
Old 07-17-2022, 08:52 AM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman
The C63s 19" wheel is 9 1/2" wide.
I an not saying your wrong its just I took that information from herehttps://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/in.../mercedes-benz
See end of chart and https://www.carsguide.com.au/mercede...c63/wheel-size

Plus https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...es-offset.html

All rather shows what midfield either the cars are or internet information especially that list on cars guide.
In realty most if not all wheel rims have the J size stamped on them

Rory
If your head hurts imagine how I feel and my rims are 20" at the rear not 19"

Old 07-17-2022, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Wolfman

I an not saying your wrong its just I took that information from herehttps://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/in.../mercedes-benz
See end of chart and https://www.carsguide.com.au/mercede...c63/wheel-size

Plus https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...es-offset.html

All rather shows what midfield either the cars are or internet information especially that list on cars guide.
In realty most if not all wheel rims have the J size stamped on them

Rory
If your head hurts imagine how I feel and my rims are 20" at the rear not 19"
My bad. I overlooked the 19/20” combo. You are correct on the C-Class. But then, you are not driving a C-class.
That said, you are making something out of nothing.

Enjoy your car!
Old 07-17-2022, 01:54 PM

2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
Hi Wolfman

I don't wish to be pedantic etc its just that i find the whole Mercedes numbering system confusing
The engine numbering is fine and clear but when it comes to models designated say R231 it stays across a number of car models and its only been chatting with you I have realised that as I say above they are all SL's
But I still don't know if that's the limit to R231

Whatever, your help has been much appreciated

All I need to do now is get 4 wheels fixed they were blemishless until I was sent on top deck of the Channel Tunnel. Last year downstairs the car was fine but upstairs is too narrow and I have 3-4 makes on each wheel. Never been upstairs before.

The problem is each side of the train floor where the car dives is a 3" Metal curb that is a bit old now and offsets allow for stairs to lower deck and that offset is too short for this car plus driving up the ramp the whole floors un-sighted .

Still MB dealer gave rim insurance but its limed to 150UKP a wheel and the insurer has VERY poor reviews for the garages they use and I must use so might just get it done and pay. Diamond cutting will reduce the ///AMG recessed logo but new a sets 7000UKP
Still that will be another tread

Once done I will get matching front tyres

Old 07-18-2022, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Hi Wolfman

All I need to do now is get 4 wheels fixed they were blemishless until I was sent on top deck of the Channel Tunnel. Last year downstairs the car was fine but upstairs is too narrow and I have 3-4 makes on each wheel. Never been upstairs before.

The problem is each side of the train floor where the car dives is a 3" Metal curb that is a bit old now and offsets allow for stairs to lower deck and that offset is too short for this car plus driving up the ramp the whole floors un-sighted .
I’ve done that train (Le Shuttle) a few times in my SL without problems. I must have been lucky to always be on the lower deck but is is a tight fit with those guide rails. I’ll make a point to request teh lower deck in future. The only problem with my rims is that they have started corroding from the hub caps. I’m going to get them powder coated and not worry about the diamond cutting. Most refurbishers will only give 6 months guarantee (instead of 12) on diamond cut refurbishments.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Wolfman

I don't wish to be pedantic etc its just that i find the whole Mercedes numbering system confusing
The engine numbering is fine and clear but when it comes to models designated say R231 it stays across a number of car models and its only been chatting with you I have realised that as I say above they are all SL's
But I still don't know if that's the limit to R231

Whatever, your help has been much appreciated

Still MB dealer gave rim insurance but its limed to 150UKP a wheel and the insurer has VERY poor reviews for the garages they use and I must use so might just get it done and pay. Diamond cutting will reduce the ///AMG recessed logo but new a sets 7000UKP
Still that will be another tread

Once done I will get matching front tyres
Curb rash is very annoying. We had the same on our wheels (same forged wheels as yours in silver) and I never liked how the refinish process turned out. The recessed logo was definitely more shallow...
On the positive side, the 295 tires will provide more rim protection due to its wider sidewall.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:25 PM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
Hi Keon

1) Yeah they fit the 10" rims perfectly and give you a nice cushion that protects your wheel against curb rash too. The tire sticks out about a centimeter from the rim for my rims, which are 9.5" wide.
2) IIRC all R231s have the same rear quarter panels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R231: Michelin PS4S and CUP2