Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2022, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
Originally Posted by Keon
1)
2) IIRC all R231s have the same rear quarter panels.
What is the difference between the original R231 (not AMGs) and the “facelift” R231 "AMG line" which, is sold as having AMG body work?

Does pre "facelift” standard car <> AMG bodywork. Facelift bodywork = AMG bodywork.

Only asking to be clear on what my tyre choices may be (I’m now reaching the limit of my tread wear and really need new tyres).

Last edited by rorywquin; 07-20-2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 08:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 SL63 AMG (R231)
An update on the a Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport that are an XL tyre 295/30/20 some 500 sunny miles later
The rears felt instantly better seated on the car in profile they were VERY similar to the PS4S but they are a at times a noisier ride than the old Continental SportContact 5P but other than that the dry handling was massively improved and they put the power better on the road

2 weeks ago I had a puncture on the front nearside and at first looked for Michelin PS4S as MO1 again but there still are none in stock in the UK in 255/35/19 nor could I find a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport but I did manage a pair of 265/35/19 at a rather extenuate price being £5 each more than the rears but fitted at home

He arrived 4 hours late and by the time he left it was dark. So the next day I look at the tyres and the side walls look rather different but checking the new front sizes and branded details both are the correct name and sizes and so are the rears but I notice the rears are also branded LTS !
So I email Goodyear and they ring me back; it seems that in the in the 295/30/20 size they are made as "standard" and also as one developed for Lotus hence LTS so I was not happy with the supplier and a read up makes me think it was developed for the Emera https://www.tyrepress.com/2021/07/lo...dyear-oe-tyre/
This has similar performance to the SL63 but far less BHP and torque also 2/3 the weight of the SL63

Still as I wrote before I chose Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport as similar in performance in comparisons articles with the PS4S and the rears are better in aquaplaning as they clear the water faster plus the fronts are reports say much better turning in

Some 200 miles later that comment on the fronts is true they are much better turning into a corner far less resistance on the steering and better feedback but again sometimes noisier
The noise is not a real problem unless your on a road that is more concrete than tarmac and then joint lines are very noisy really on the southern section of the M25 around London and that is a road surface problem rather than the tyre

It will always be my sunny day car so I doubt I will give feed back on handling in the wet this year

As to the designed for Lotus rears I cannot comment on the construction or differences I asked Goodyear but they did not have the details to hand..........

So the big bit what do I think of them well the noise is no problem for me as the top is down 95% of the time anyway and the handling is SO SO much better than the Continental SportContact 5P but that's a 10 year or more older design and in recent years tyres seem to have moved on a lot. If you watch tyre pressures on the car screen when driving err spiritedly you can see the pressure soon goes up as the tyre heat up. These are quick to heat using that basis and I think looking at the pressures heat up far more giving better grip..... but that also would mean more wear.

Maybe 255 would be better than 265 on the front for better turn in. Wider = bigger but not necessarily better contact patch but less weight per square inch so that is a trade off and well 10mm wider is not significant and the cars is OTT heavy anyway; its no light racer
Tyre pressure well Continentals wanted more say 4 psi but there seem fine on standard pressures but I will try less on the front
So images of the side walls

The marking and scuffs from the Chanel Tunnel train are being sorted next week

Last edited by Bilbo7; 09-12-2022 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
rorywquin (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 09:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
gls c63 E300
I'm using PS4S right now and it's fine