SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: AMG vs.Non-AMG engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 SL550
AMG vs.Non-AMG engine

Hi, new member but long-time MB owner. Currently have a 2020 SL550, am something of a Motörhead, and I personally think the twin turbo engine looks fantastic. Which got me thinking: What is the real difference between the stock factory MB engine and the AMG engine, except for possible displacement, compression ratios, HP, etc., and the claim that the AMG engine is assembled by one person versus multiple people on the assembly line. I have looked on line for any discussion or comparison of this, but have only found "glowing" references to AMG and that it is a big deal that the engine is built by one guy who puts a placard on the engine with his name on it. My guess is that the two engines are virtually identical in terms of blueprint design, engineering, construction and components.

Understand I am certainly not critical of any company's performance division, including MB's AMG, but I would be surprised if the engine was so different that it required the expense and hassle of obtaining separate EPA approval for every AMG model in the line.
Old 06-18-2022, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
I’ve been to the AMG factory in Affalterbach and it is one person that assembles the engine. The engine arrives at their work station and they build it. It is a status thing amongst the MB mechanics to be selected to build AMG engines and they take a lot of pride in their work.

I do recall that the engines had some exotic alloys ( e.g. tungsten) and I’d expect that tolerances for AMG engines will be a lot tighter.

Apparently A45S engines are also built at Affalterbach.

The facilities there were relatively small so I wonder if they still build all the “AMG” engines there these days with the expanded range of “AMGs".

Last edited by rorywquin; 06-18-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-18-2022, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,246 Likes on 2,021 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
To some extend, someone can ask what the difference is in value between a car that is hand-build vs. one that is build on the line. Most will prefer the more bespoke hand build one. Some will argue a machine build engine maybe more reliable as the human element is removed. AMG will argue the opposite. I tend to agree that AMG engines exceptional, although the difference are smaller really as all current V8 engines were designed by AMG anyway. All 4 liter engines (not in the SL) are AMG designed from scratch and use a number of the same components. They are simply variants created for AMG and for MB. So one could think of the Non-AMG engine as the budget variant with less power. Same tech, same design.

The SL is a bit different as the older M278 V8 engine is a smaller displacement version of the AMG M157 (4.7l vs. 5.5l). Less power, displacement, less boost. The SL63 naturally is more than just a different engine. You have different suspension components and calibration (if the non-AMG has ABC), LSD, a 7 speed MCT transmission vs 7 or 9 GTronic, different exhaust.
It clearly requires a separate EPA cert. as there are significant differences between the cars.

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-18-2022 at 05:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
SL 400
Many years ago I worked for a very old, well known and expensive vacuum company. The company sold what one would call high end units that had a price range of a few hundred dollars to models close to 2k. The average price being around $700 or so. Besides some bells and whistles that were basically exaggerated the higher end models also had a "much more powerful motor." There were other differences, but the motor was a selling point that along with brand recognition worked to secure sales. The majority of purchasers grew up seeing their grandma and then mom use the same vacuum that was passed down over the years, so paying more for the initial unit wasn't a very hard sell, because most knew they simply last forever, besides really working well.

As the years passed and I worked my way up the ladder I got to know the higher ups a bit. They knew me some, because of my strong sales and confident sales pitches, that we're always laced with some humor. I probably should have been a car salesman, but I never tried that. Anyway, I remember I was chit chatting it up with a VP, or something at a company function. At some point I asked him what were the differences between the unit that was over $1,000 and the $299 unit. I wanted anything that would help give me the edge in selling, presentation, or general knowledge that others may not know. Even though we had never met, that VP knew enough of me to feel comfortable. He lowered his voice, looked around to see if anyone was close enough to hear us and then said in a much lower tone "This doesn't get repeated, but "there is absolutely no difference in the motors" Well, he had my full attention.

He went on to say that no two, 3, or 100 motors, if made with the same parts, by the same people, or machines will have the exact same HP, or whatever term he used 35 years ago. He said there will always be differences in them if bench tested. He said those that test higher go into the more expensive units and those that test lower go int the cheaper units, but if you took each motor out and sat it on a table they would be virtually identical and have the same parts and would have been put together the same way. He then switched gears and asked me what number I was going to hit next month lol.

Yes, there are things you can do and use at build to make something different, or "better" but sometimes..................

Originally Posted by f16chuck
Hi, new member but long-time MB owner. Currently have a 2020 SL550, am something of a Motörhead, and I personally think the twin turbo engine looks fantastic. Which got me thinking: What is the real difference between the stock factory MB engine and the AMG engine, except for possible displacement, compression ratios, HP, etc., and the claim that the AMG engine is assembled by one person versus multiple people on the assembly line. I have looked on line for any discussion or comparison of this, but have only found "glowing" references to AMG and that it is a big deal that the engine is built by one guy who puts a placard on the engine with his name on it. My guess is that the two engines are virtually identical in terms of blueprint design, engineering, construction and components.

Understand I am certainly not critical of any company's performance division, including MB's AMG, but I would be surprised if the engine was so different that it required the expense and hassle of obtaining separate EPA approval for every AMG model in the line.
Old 06-18-2022, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting story but I can’t see the relevance here. The SL V8 AMG engine is not the same as the non-AMG. Tuning it will also not make it an AMG…
Old 06-19-2022, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 SL550
Originally Posted by Wolfman
To some extend, someone can ask what the difference is in value between a car that is hand-build vs. one that is build on the line. Most will prefer the more bespoke hand build one. Some will argue a machine build engine maybe more reliable as the human element is removed. AMG will argue the opposite. I tend to agree that AMG engines exceptional, although the difference are smaller really as all current V8 engines were designed by AMG anyway. All 4 liter engines (not in the SL) are AMG designed from scratch and use a number of the same components. They are simply variants created for AMG and for MB. So one could think of the Non-AMG engine as the budget variant with less power. Same tech, same design.

The SL is a bit different as the older M278 V8 engine is a smaller displacement version of the AMG M157 (4.7l vs. 5.5l). Less power, displacement, less boost. The SL63 naturally is more than just a different engine. You have different suspension components and calibration (if the non-AMG has ABC), LSD, a 7 speed MCT transmission vs 7 or 9 GTronic, different exhaust.
It clearly requires a separate EPA cert. as there are significant differences between the cars.
Wolfman, thanks for the information. I want to make sure I understand your points: Are you saying that AMG actually designed engines from scratch for both MB and AMG-variant vehicles? Given the huge disparity in size and design, manufacturing and technical expertise between MB and AMG I am really surprised. I would have thought MB, jealous as it is to control every aspect of the creation of its vehicles (i.e., the E500 built by Porsche with MB controlling every aspect of the project) would have shipped over the engine parts to be assembled "by one man" rather than vice versa, with AMG shipping parts to MB for non-AMG mass production.
And I do agree that there is something about one person building the entire engine and signing it. Which is why that is such an effective tag line for AMG.
Old 06-19-2022, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 233 Likes on 189 Posts
Shanks’s Pony
@f16chuck AMG is now fully owned by MB. However, AMG was originally a privately owned tuning shop that took MB bodies & engines and breathed on them.

MB bought into AMG in the late 90s and took full control some years later. They might be designing the V8s now (I don’t know the answer) but originally they were tweaking MB designs.

Last edited by rorywquin; 06-19-2022 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by f16chuck
Wolfman, thanks for the information. I want to make sure I understand your points: Are you saying that AMG actually designed engines from scratch for both MB and AMG-variant vehicles? Given the huge disparity in size and design, manufacturing and technical expertise between MB and AMG I am really surprised. I would have thought MB, jealous as it is to control every aspect of the creation of its vehicles (i.e., the E500 built by Porsche with MB controlling every aspect of the project) would have shipped over the engine parts to be assembled "by one man" rather than vice versa, with AMG shipping parts to MB for non-AMG mass production.
And I do agree that there is something about one person building the entire engine and signing it. Which is why that is such an effective tag line for AMG.
Yes. AMG designed the current 4.0 liter V8 engine family which powers all V8’s in the Mercedes, AMG and Maybach line-up (including EQ Boost and ePerformance models). Some prior MB engines also had input from AMG engineers but later AMG engines built in Afalterbach were also AMG designed (I believe that started with the 6.3l NA M156 engine, but perhaps someone can confirm).

Last edited by Wolfman; 06-19-2022 at 08:36 PM.