SL-Class (R231) 2013 on: Discussion on the SL550

SL/R231: A few pics today while waiting on my alignment.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2023, 09:14 AM

Received 205 Likes on 132 Posts
SL 400
A few pics today while waiting on my alignment.

Enjoy

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 04-19-2023 at 09:16 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by ThatsMyDawg:
bishop64 (04-21-2023), crconsulting (04-29-2023), Goodwood (04-30-2023), hornethandler (04-19-2023), Streamliner (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 435 Likes on 323 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
The EVs look like eggs .
The following users liked this post:
Goodwood (04-30-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:26 AM

SL 400
Originally Posted by rmorin49
The EVs look like eggs .

They are growing on me. They had a really nice black one that seemed to be a special model, or something, but it was in a hallway sorta and no way to get a side view pic of it.

All of the non convertibles had their doors locked, so I could not get good pics of their insides.

Side note:
One of the salesmen saw me snagging pics and was like “just say the word and we will get which ever one you are thinking about ready for delivery”.

I smiled and said I appreciate it, but I like mine better. Like clockwork they were bringing my car around at that moment and it was rolling past the storefront window. I said there’s mine right there. He looks out the window and goes “geesh an SL? Never-mind, you aint giving that up. We both cracked up.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 05-01-2023 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2023, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,152 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Over my many years as a car enthusiast, it seemed that there were always a few cars that I absolutely lusted after. When I look at these new MB’s, it is so sad, but I desire NONE of them. I have no desire for virtually ANY new car on the market, with the possible exception of the current Rolls-Royce Ghost and I would never spend the approximately $400K those sell for new. I’ve had 17 new MB’s and not one of these pictured in this thread lights my fire. The new SL leaves me cold and the current S Class, of which I have a 2022 model, is “THE” most disappointing MB I have ever owned.

I realize that many of my feelings have to do with getting older. The thought of just trying to get in and out of a new sports car is not an enticing one, BUT that said, I find the new 911’s to be ugly, and I haven’t lusted over a Ferrari since the 1960’s. The new offerings from BMW & Lexus are just horrible looking IMO, and the current Bentley designs are not really thrilling either.

When I get to the bottom line, there is not one new drop top out there that appeals to me more than my 2019 SL450.

The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
fun33 (04-20-2023), rfb3 (06-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 11:30 AM

SL 400
Yeah, sometimes things are popping with a carmaker and some times it takes time for a carmaker to get back to amazing. The black convertible in the pic looked way better in person than the pic, as did that long white S class sedan. I really like the S class coupe too (not pictured) and unlike many I do like the R232. I sat in an R232 before and I do think its beautiful even though most do not. Most didn't like the R231 when compared to the R230 when it first came out either. I am however not happy about them getting rid of the hard top and also those overly blown up prices on the R232. We will see what it's selling for in 5 years.

I still do like Ferrari and many BMW models. I started as a BMW guy back as a young lad and jumped ship to Mercedes 35 years ago. We actually traded in my Wifes Mercedes GLK yesterday for a BMW X3. We couldn't find a GLB, or GLC in the color combo/option package that she wanted, so she went with the BMW. She is really happy.

Oh, I saw this sitting on the BMW showroom floor. My granddaughter was like, "hey that looks like your car." (she's 8) I said I can see that.

I do enjoy walking around the sales floor at MB. That is the only time I get to sit in multiple new vehicles and compare workmanship, presentation and styling. Sometimes you just need to lay hands on them, feel and smell.

Originally Posted by Streamliner
Over my many years as a car enthusiast, it seemed that there were always a few cars that I absolutely lusted after. When I look at these new MB’s, it is so sad, but I desire NONE of them. I have no desire for virtually ANY new car on the market, with the possible exception of the current Rolls-Royce Ghost and I would never spend the approximately $400K those sell for new. I’ve had 17 new MB’s and not one of these pictured in this thread lights my fire. The new SL leaves me cold and the current S Class, of which I have a 2022 model, is “THE” most disappointing MB I have ever owned.

I realize that many of my feelings have to do with getting older. The thought of just trying to get in and out of a new sports car is not an enticing one, BUT that said, I find the new 911’s to be ugly, and I haven’t lusted over a Ferrari since the 1960’s. The new offerings from BMW & Lexus are just horrible looking IMO, and the current Bentley designs are not really thrilling either.

When I get to the bottom line, there is not one new drop top out there that appeals to me more than my 2019 SL450.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 04-19-2023 at 02:20 PM.
Streamliner (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 05:15 PM

Received 170 Likes on 141 Posts
S560/LS460/Q70L 5.6 AWD

Car and designs are changing but we are not , we re simply getting older !
Old 04-21-2023, 10:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,847 Likes on 2,425 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)

Although nothing new excites you at least the one you have excites you which what matters as you already own it. Might be a good thing actually that the new cars don't excite you as that means money in the pocket and stays in the pocket. I do however share the feeling and disappointment as a fellow car enthusiast as well. New cars are way too digital now. There is also less and less of the mechanical connection.
Old 04-21-2023, 10:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
They are growing on me. They had a really nice black one that seemed to be a special model, or something, but it was in a hallway sorta and no way to get a side view pic of it.

All of the non convertibles had their doors locked, so I could not get good pics of their insides.

Side note:
One of the salesmen saw me snagging pics and was like “just say the word and we will get which ever on you are thinking about ready for delivery”.

I smiled and said I appreciate it, but I like mine better. Like clockwork they were bringing my car around at that moment and it was rolling past the storefront window. I said there’s mine right there. He looks out the window and goes “geesh an SL? Never-mind, you aint giving that up. We both cracked up.
Interesting convo you have with the salesman thanks for sharing, he is right though you are not going to be giving that up. As for the side view you mentioned, if you do have a chance going back to snapping pictures, you could try using the ultra-wide mode of your camera and see if it does the trick. Either way, enjoy your SL in good health.
ThatsMyDawg (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Enjoy

Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing, are the pictures the order of your car preference/desirability or just in random order?
Old 04-21-2023, 11:37 AM

SL 400
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Interesting convo you have with the salesman thanks for sharing, he is right though you are not going to be giving that up. As for the side view you mentioned, if you do have a chance going back to snapping pictures, you could try using the ultra-wide mode of your camera and see if it does the trick. Either way, enjoy your SL in good health.
I never thought about ultra wide mode. I will give that a try on next visit.

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Love the pictures! Thanks for sharing, are the pictures the order of your car preference/desirability or just in random order?
Random order as I walked around the showroom. Now that I look back at the pictures I notice now that trunk spoiler/wing on the black drop top. It looks nice in the picture and I should have looked at it more in person. I don't like most the trunk spoilers on the market for our cars now, but sometimes you can get one off of another MB model that will work.
Thanks for the feedback..
Old 04-21-2023, 12:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

I never thought about ultra wide mode. I will give that a try on next visit.

Random order as I walked around the showroom. Now that I look back at the pictures I notice now that trunk spoiler/wing on the black drop top. It looks nice in the picture and I should have looked at it more in person. I don't like most the trunk spoilers on the market for our cars now, but sometimes you can get one off of another MB model that will work.
Thanks for the feedback..
You are welcome and thanks again for posting the pictures, looking forward to seeing more (sorry for being greedy).
ThatsMyDawg (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:21 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Enjoy

To avoid or (at least) minimize the window reflection, try to move your phone as close to the glass as possible.
And, might try not to use flash. In addition to steady hands, might even try to use the window as a support to help stabilizing the phone.

And, ''I do enjoy walking around the sales floor at MB. That is the only time I get to sit in multiple new vehicles and compare workmanship, presentation and styling. Sometimes you just need to lay hands on them, feel and smell.''
This is one of my 'hobby' too. Whenever I go to the MB dealership for service, I would do a tour around and inspect each cars they have on the floor, from A-Class to S-Class, sedans, SUVs...etc I sit in the front and in the back. That is good and funny exercise. That last time I went, I got into the backseat of a V-Class and rested there instead of sitting on one of the sofas on the showroom...lol

Last edited by bishop64; 04-21-2023 at 10:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bishop64:
Drone_S213 (04-21-2023), ThatsMyDawg (04-21-2023)
Old 04-21-2023, 10:37 PM

SL 400
Great ideas.

Next time I’m going to get in the backseat of the S class and just chill on my phone.

Originally Posted by bishop64
To avoid or (at least) minimize the window reflection, try to move your phone as close to the glass as possible.
And, might try not to use flash. In addition to steady hands, might even try to use the window as a support to help stabilizing the phone.

And, ''I do enjoy walking around the sales floor at MB. That is the only time I get to sit in multiple new vehicles and compare workmanship, presentation and styling. Sometimes you just need to lay hands on them, feel and smell.''
This is one of my 'hobby' too. Whenever I go to the MB dealership for service, I would do a tour around and inspect each cars they have on the floor, from A-Class to S-Class, sedans, SUVs...etc I sit in the front and in the back. That is good and funny exercise. That last time I went, I got into the backseat of a V-Class and rested there instead of sitting on one of the sofas on the showroom...lol
Old 04-22-2023, 09:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by bishop64

Good advice, I find telephoto lens also help in someway even though it doesn't completely eliminate the reflections, using the glass as support as in completely laying the phone flat on the windows right? That always works too. Another thing is putting your hand at an angle in front of the camera (not directly as you obviously block it) also helps too.
ThatsMyDawg (05-01-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,419 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
We're not getting older (actually, we are); we're becoming more discerning.
The following 2 users liked this post by JettaRed:
TennesseeZ4 (04-28-2023), ThatsMyDawg (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 12:07 PM

SL 400
Hey, you gonna be around town later? I ask because I might be in town later to drop off supplies to family. Could be a good opportunity for us to snag pics of two Sis since we are a rare breed.

Originally Posted by JettaRed
Old 04-28-2023, 11:00 AM

SL 400
A few more pics while at a different dealership ordering a part.
Enjoy..

Old 04-28-2023, 11:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

A few more pics while at a different dealership ordering a part.
Enjoy..

Nice, keep it coming!
Old 04-28-2023, 01:50 PM

Received 277 Likes on 176 Posts
2019 E450 wagon: 2019 BMW 430i: 2013 Chevy Traverse: (departed)2013 SL550 & 2019 E450 cab
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Or as my friend Stan cites, 'We are not old, we are vintage!'
crconsulting (04-29-2023)