SL/R231: Step by Step Window Switch replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2023, 08:44 AM

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
SL 400
Step by Step Window Switch replacement

Hello all.

It amazes me just how many car brands struggle with plastic switches and buttons. These buttons, etc. seem to wear down, chip, or scratch more often than they should. Even some very expensive exotic brands have had issues with buttons becoming sticky, or getting a melted look and feel. Anyway, my drivers side window switch was scratched/chipped up and looked bad.They do sell stickers to cover switches and buttons, but that wasn't for me. FYI I forgot to take pictures of this install, so I went back and did the steps over to grab pictures for you. That is why you do not see the damaged switch in the removal pics. I already had swaped it with the new switch.

Disclaimer - I am not a car expert and have only worked on my cars in my garage as I feel confident in doing so. I was willing to try this on MY CAR, because I am that kinda guy, but you have to make your own choices. I am not responsible for any fitment, or functionality issues. Damages, or injury that may occur to you, your car, your systems, or persons when attempting this installation. Attempt this modification at your own risk. I did and I am so happy I did. I hope this helps you!

Let's get started.....(Time to complete- 5 minutes)

Here is how the old switch looked. It started with a little white scratch and the chips/scratches progressed over the years to what you see below. Blah/Yuk.

The new unit arrived in a simple box and plastic bag, nothing special.You can get this from MB, but they are available online at multiple places for some cost savings.

First
Let's remove the door trim.
Simply grab the center area and pull it out a little.
There are tabs along the backside and on each ends of the trim, but the ones on the far left and far right ends are the only ones you have to be careful with.
Next While holding the middle section you just pulled out a little you want to pull the trim towards you a little and toward the rear of the car, or door opening (if you have the door opened wide) so the front tab slides out. Take it easy so you don't break your tabs.
Once the front tab is free continue working toward the rear by pulling any remaining center tabs straight out.
Once you get to the last rear tab on the end slide the entire trim towards the rear of the car, or toward the doors opening (if you have the door opened wide) to free the last tab. It will make sense once you see how the tab sits on the trim. (look at my picture of the end tab how it hooks)

View of the end tab right slot hole

When you get to this point stop pulling and slide the entire trim toward the opening of the door.

Next
Sit the trim over on the passenger side out the way. I avoid sitting trim on the ground, so nobody can step on it. (including me lol)
Remove the window switch by sticking a fat head screwdriver in this slot below the switch. You will simply push the trim up and free of the door. There are no screws holding the trim in place, only tabs that depress when you push the switch out.

Next
Detach the wire for the switch. A simple tab release.

Next attach the new switch and test it to ensure it is working properly before you close things back up.

Lastly
Re-install the trim starting with the far left tab on the end towards the rear first. Just hook the tab back in.
Next skip to the far right tab. You have to flex the trim by pulling it and bending the corner end in order to get the end tab in before you finish the middle tabs.

That's it.
Enjoy your new switch.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 05-17-2023 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Typo
The following 7 users liked this post by ThatsMyDawg:
crconsulting (05-16-2023), hornethandler (05-16-2023), JettaRed (05-26-2023), Keon (05-26-2023), Malarkey (05-17-2023), TennesseeZ4 (05-29-2023), toi (05-22-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-16-2023, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 319 Posts
2015 SL400; 2019 X5M40i
Nice post. My switches are all in good condition but perhaps the forum manager could put this DIY and other similar posts in a sticky file that is easily accessible.
The following users liked this post:
ThatsMyDawg (05-16-2023)
Old 05-16-2023, 04:40 PM

SL 400
Glad yours are in good shape! You would be surprised at how many I have seen at dealerships with nicks and chips in them.

Seems like it would be an easy swap to make a car look that much cleaner by a dealer. Now the chips, etc. that I have seen we’re not as bad as mine were, but I did notice them when I sat in the cars. All the chips/scratches are always on the drivers side I guess from the amount of usage when compared to the passenger side.

My next fix is the radio on/off button, because it has wear on it in the early stages.

Originally Posted by rmorin49
Nice post. My switches are all in good condition but perhaps the forum manager could put this DIY and other similar posts in a sticky file that is easily accessible.
Old 05-16-2023, 11:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 SL 550
Great post. I appreciate this!
ThatsMyDawg (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 05:38 AM

SL 400
Thank you, I hoped somebody would.

Originally Posted by NotHerDecision
Great post. I appreciate this!
Old 05-17-2023, 06:39 AM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
SL 550 (2014) Kia Sorento (2016)
Another helpful post! I must say you're pretty good at the mix of descriptions and photos. Are you planning any more??
Old 05-17-2023, 06:44 AM

SL 400
"Planning any more?" You never know, because as I find things that need correcting I often say to myself " I think I can fix that. "Radio on/off button will be next, but not in a rush for that one. Stay tuned for future updates as I find other things to update/improve...

Thank you for the positive feedback...
Originally Posted by Montreal300
Another helpful post! I must say you're pretty good at the mix of descriptions and photos. Are you planning any more??
Old 05-17-2023, 07:32 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 sl550
Dawg, you gave me the courage to tackle the Apple CarPlay installation and I am NOT mechanically inclined by any stretch. Appreciate you sharing these. Thanks.
ThatsMyDawg (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 08:51 AM

SL 400
You the man now Rupp! You, like me now have it in us to go hands on with our SL’s. We just needed a place to start and motivation. Keep at it my friend.

Originally Posted by Ruppster
Dawg, you gave me the courage to tackle the Apple CarPlay installation and I am NOT mechanically inclined by any stretch. Appreciate you sharing these. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:23 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 sl550
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
You the man now Rupp! You, like me now have it in us to go hands on with our SL’s. We just needed a place to start and motivation. Keep at it my friend.
I actually repaired a black wheel rim that had curb rash. Was probably a little too proud of myself.
ThatsMyDawg (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 09:29 AM

Received 153 Likes on 136 Posts
2023 AMG GLE63s, 2017 AMG SL63, 2024 Sprinter, 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
Excellent Post ! I have the exact same switch issue on my '17 ... it bothers the hell out of me ... but not for long ! Steve
ThatsMyDawg (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 09:43 AM

SL 400
Now that is what I'm talking about Steve. My man!
Originally Posted by iridium18
Excellent Post ! I have the exact same switch issue on my '17 ... it bothers the hell out of me ... but not for long ! Steve
Old 05-26-2023, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,279 Posts
2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
Glad yours are in good shape! You would be surprised at how many I have seen at dealerships with nicks and chips in them.

Seems like it would be an easy swap to make a car look that much cleaner by a dealer. Now the chips, etc. that I have seen we’re not as bad as mine were, but I did notice them when I sat in the cars. All the chips/scratches are always on the drivers side I guess from the amount of usage when compared to the passenger side.

My next fix is the radio on/off button, because it has wear on it in the early stages.
Awesome DIY!

I keep my nails trimmed really short. Wonder if that makes a difference.

ThatsMyDawg (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 03:13 PM

SL 400
I would imagine it helps with them being shorter.
Originally Posted by JettaRed
Awesome DIY!

I keep my nails trimmed really short. Wonder if that makes a difference.