https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...igning-an-icon
Old 10-13-2020, 05:53 PM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL

Old 10-14-2020, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500

Yeah I think we might have a winner here. I really like what I'm seeing here.

M
The following users liked this post:
Keon (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 11:59 AM

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
AMG SL63
Another rendering today - courtesy Motor 1.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...enderings/amp/
Old 10-14-2020, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Nice looking. As long as they don't screw up the interior could be a winner. Hardtop would make this a home run.
allfortheunion (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by PAPA PA
Another rendering today - courtesy Motor 1.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...enderings/amp/

We already know that the roof looks different. With its rear window it looks surprisingly similar to a hardtop (although unlikely).

Old 10-14-2020, 11:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We already know that the roof looks different. With its rear window it looks surprisingly similar to a hardtop (although unlikely).

Well its not blowing me away so far and is not going to be a radical change, in fact it's slightly beamerish looking as well. That's now 8 plus years to come up with something breathtakingly beautiful!!
Old 10-15-2020, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,761 Likes on 2,149 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by branmin
Well its not blowing me away so far and is not going to be a radical change, in fact it's slightly beamerish looking as well. That's now 8 plus years to come up with something breathtakingly beautiful!!
At the risk of being called out for jumping the gun once again, before all the facts are known, I believe we have seen and read enough fairly well grounded rumors, from reasonably well respected sources, to know that the new SL will be a compromise. They are taking the AMG GT Roadster, dressing it up and calling it the new SL. I understand about platform sharing and reducing development & engineering costs, but I believe the SL should have warranted a clean sheet of paper, not a design piggybacked onto another model. I realize that what I am saying may not make economic sense to the bean counters in Stuttgart, but this is the legendary SL we are talking about and the legend should have lived on with a brand new, stunningly gorgeous and unique design. Instead, we are getting a gussied up AMG GT. Sorry, but I don’t like it, I don’t like it at all.
Old 10-15-2020, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah you're right you are jumping the gun and really don't know anything yet. It clearly is a clean sheet re-design from the current SL and you have no idea what the next AMG GT will be like either. You don't know what you're getting here. No one knows that yet. Every car is a compromise. This is an all new car.

M
The following 2 users liked this post by Germancar1:
js_cls (10-15-2020), Keon (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 01:05 PM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550
Originally Posted by Streamliner
At the risk of being called out for jumping the gun once again, before all the facts are known, I believe we have seen and read enough fairly well grounded rumors, from reasonably well respected sources, to know that the new SL will be a compromise. They are taking the AMG GT Roadster, dressing it up and calling it the new SL. I understand about platform sharing and reducing development & engineering costs, but I believe the SL should have warranted a clean sheet of paper, not a design piggybacked onto another model. I realize that what I am saying may not make economic sense to the bean counters in Stuttgart, but this is the legendary SL we are talking about and the legend should have lived on with a brand new, stunningly gorgeous and unique design. Instead, we are getting a gussied up AMG GT. Sorry, but I don’t like it, I don’t like it at all.
Have you driven an AMG GT? The SL is SUPER numb and devoid of feeling. The GT is incredibly lively and full of character. If they want to base the SL on the GT platform and give it the new I6 and V8s, I'm all for it!
js_cls (10-15-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:16 PM

Sold 06 CLS500. SL550 09. SL550 2013. Own C6 Corvette heavily customized garage queen 2005.
I'm with Streamliner here. Yes we are all jumping the gun and until we see it in person no point going on about it. However it is going to be a compromise, it is going rag top. Simply put and normally we do by now, with all the spy shots and angles get some kind of idea, this is not going to be a completely new design or indeed a face lift. I also don't like it(at present from what little we are shown) like it at all. End of.
Streamliner (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Keon
Have you driven an AMG GT? The SL is SUPER numb and devoid of feeling. The GT is incredibly lively and full of character. If they want to base the SL on the GT platform and give it the new I6 and V8s, I'm all for it!
I have to agree with you there slightly(only slightly) but you really are going overboard when you state its numb and devoid of feeling. I was doing about 85 the other day and just put my foot down. The acceleration was just terrific, felt like a horse kicked me up the backside and got to 130 in a shot(I didn't say that by the way) However, many of us just now want the most luxury you can get inside, with a smooth quiet ride and the beauty of an SLR McLaren Roadster to lovingly look at all day long (give me that now and I don't care if it comes with ABC or not, but would still gladly pay extra) Don't need testosterone inducing exhaust noises and don't need to get there faster by all of 0.4 seconds anymore. Want it all and why the f not? We are all different so appreciate others point of view, just stating mine these days.
Streamliner (10-17-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm with Streamliner here. Yes we are all jumping the gun and until we see it in person no point going on about it. However it is going to be a compromise, it is going rag top. Simply put and normally we do by now, with all the spy shots and angles get some kind of idea, this is not going to be a completely new design or indeed a face lift. I also don't like it(at present from what little we are shown) like it at all. End of.
What? Of course it's a new car. It' clearly isn't the old SL and it clearly isn't the current AMG GT. You do realize this is a new platform for both a new AMG GT and a SL? You're basing this on how it looks? It's a new car. It's just an AMG GT dressed up. They already stated that a new platform had been created to underpin both of these cars.

M

Last edited by Germancar1; 10-16-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have to agree with you there slightly(only slightly) but you really are going overboard when you state its numb and devoid of feeling. I was doing about 85 the other day and just put my foot down. The acceleration was just terrific, felt like a horse kicked me up the backside and got to 130 in a shot(I didn't say that by the way) However, many of us just now want the most luxury you can get inside, with a smooth quiet ride and the beauty of an SLR McLaren Roadster to lovingly look at all day long (give me that now and I don't care if it comes with ABC or not, but would still gladly pay extra) Don't need testosterone inducing exhaust noises and don't need to get there faster by all of 0.4 seconds anymore. Want it all and why the f not? We are all different so appreciate others point of view, just stating mine these days.
You're describing acceleration, not actual feel, as in road feel, steering feel. The current SL is a totally different car from the current AMG GT. Have you driven the AMG GT? It's in another universe compared to a SL550.

M
Old 10-16-2020, 05:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 SL550
I test drove an AMG GT-C roadster back in the spring and it is definitely a totally different animal than the SL550. Acceleration, ride, sound were in a completely different league. I would have got it, but the rear view visibility was atrocious with the top up and barely above atrocious with the top down. As much as I wanted that car, I just couldn’t get past the safety issue of not being able to see behind me for a daily commuter car. It was also not the easiest car to get in and out of. That’s why I ended up getting my 2nd SL550 (2020 SL550) instead. Since 2005, I’ve had 5 convertibles and the AMG GT had the worst visibility of all them. 2nd place was my 2005 T-Bird, but the rear view mirror actually showed the things behind you (side visibility was poor with the top up) and with the top down, visibility was excellent.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by KJohnston
I test drove an AMG GT-C roadster back in the spring and it is definitely a totally different animal than the SL550. Acceleration, ride, sound were in a completely different league. I would have got it, but the rear view visibility was atrocious with the top up and barely above atrocious with the top down. As much as I wanted that car, I just couldn’t get past the safety issue of not being able to see behind me for a daily commuter car. It was also not the easiest car to get in and out of. That’s why I ended up getting my 2nd SL550 (2020 SL550) instead. Since 2005, I’ve had 5 convertibles and the AMG GT had the worst visibility of all them. 2nd place was my 2005 T-Bird, but the rear view mirror actually showed the things behind you (side visibility was poor with the top up) and with the top down, visibility was excellent.
It's incredible to believe that the blind spot detection used to be an option on a car that starts at over $160k. I echo the comments on the rearview mirror (about half of the mirror view is covered by the rear deck). At the same time, I don't care much for the mirror as my outside mirrors are what matter...
I love our GTC roadster and it is clearly the better driving cars of the two (by a margin drive dynamically) but I have also appreciated the roadster/coupe qualities of the SL.

The issue of Streamliner is ultimately of what kind of a car the SL should be. For Stream, going back to the roots of the SL probably means a comfortable, safe and elegant top-down cruiser. For Mercedes, going back to its roots likely means to bring back the sport car the SL used to be so AMG is the right company to build the next SL.

The next SL will be very different from the AMG GT roadsters. No front-mid engine, no transaxle, no dual clutch transmission and likely no rear wheel drive (think a low-end version might be). These are many reasons why these cars are so balanced. The new SL is 4matic, has the 9G-tronic transmission which is connected to the engine and the engine once again sits over the axle (this is my assumption given the shorter hood). Likely Airmatic+ suspension
I thought I saw the top of the center MBUX screen a la W223 S-Class and if so, it will likely mirror many of the new S-Class elements which should look great.

To Germancar1's point though, this is as new of a car as it exists. Same as the W223 S-Class. Both on new but different platforms. This should improve the drive dynamics of the SL but also with comfort as AMG was charged with that task. The AMG GT's are more uncompromising in that area...

Last edited by Wolfman; 10-16-2020 at 06:47 PM.
MBNUT1 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
I guess I must love “super numb” and “devoid of feeling” cars. Not everyone is enamored with blinding acceleration and crazy skid pad numbers. Some of us just like tooling down Pacific Coast Highway, top down, Sinatra on the box, while channeling Cary Grant.

The following 3 users liked this post by Streamliner:
bob55 (10-17-2020), branmin (10-17-2020), KJohnston (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess I must love “super numb” and “devoid of feeling” cars. Not everyone is enamored with blinding acceleration and crazy skid pad numbers. Some of us just like tooling down Pacific Coast Highway, top down, Sinatra on the box, while channeling Cary Grant.

Most definitely and there is nothing wrong with that. The SL has always been the perfect mix of luxury and sport and the R231 would have continued that if it weren't for the looks. I would have bought one in 2012 but I couldn't stand the look of it. That's my only issue with the car. I could have as many cars as I wanted, I'd still grab one. The SL used to wipe the floor with the cars in it's class, including sportier cars like the 911 cabrio and XLR because it had the right mix of luxury/sport. I personally wish the market hadn't died off and changed so much so they could keep this car as is, but it will be sportier but hopefully they will not forget the cruiser aspect of it also. A recent quote by AMG said that they have kept this is in mind.

M
Streamliner (10-17-2020)
Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Germancar1
Most definitely and there is nothing wrong with that. The SL has always been the perfect mix of luxury and sport and the R231 would have continued that if it weren't for the looks. I would have bought one in 2012 but I couldn't stand the look of it. That's my only issue with the car. I could have as many cars as I wanted, I'd still grab one. The SL used to wipe the floor with the cars in it's class, including sportier cars like the 911 cabrio and XLR because it had the right mix of luxury/sport. I personally wish the market hadn't died off and changed so much so they could keep this car as is, but it will be sportier but hopefully they will not forget the cruiser aspect of it also. A recent quote by AMG said that they have kept this is in mind.

M
I didn’t care for the 2013-2016 exterior either, but feel that they did improve the flow of the design in 2017. It’s still not the most beautiful car out there, but I do like the way it drives.
Germancar1 (10-18-2020)
Old 10-19-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
SL550

But you don't understand the point of the SL. It stands for sport-lightweight or sport-luxury. It's in the name - sportiness is just as important as luxury. Let's not forget that the original 300SL was as close to a supercar as you could get at the time! The generations after that were also quite sporty, save for the awful USDM R107 models. The R129 is famous for the ad where it's jumping over a crest at high speeds, advertising it as a performance car. You seem to only want half of what the SL is supposed to do. I like both sides!
Old 10-19-2020, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But you don't understand the point of the SL. It stands for sport-lightweight or sport-luxury. It's in the name - sportiness is just as important as luxury. Let's not forget that the original 300SL was as close to a supercar as you could get at the time! The generations after that were also quite sporty, save for the awful USDM R107 models. The R129 is famous for the ad where it's jumping over a crest at high speeds, advertising it as a performance car. You seem to only want half of what the SL is supposed to do. I like both sides!

fine
The following 2 users liked this post by Streamliner:
allfortheunion (10-20-2020), branmin (10-20-2020)