SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: AMG Performance Seats and Multiple Interior Colors not available

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:52 AM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Angry AMG Performance Seats and Multiple Interior Colors not available

I placed an order with my dealer really early on and was excited to get an April 14 build date.

And then came the big disappointments:

First, I was told that the black nappa/ microfiber was not available and I had been switched to plain black.

I knew that was not going to be the end of my problem because black nappa in the USA is not deliverable with the AMG performance seat.

Sure enough, next day I found out that the car will be delivered with the standard seat.

I then asked for the latest ordering guide and the revisions that had been made and it looks like the AMG Performance Seat is on backorder until further notice with all selections.

That of course means that both Nappa/Microfiber with red and yellow stitching are not available, also not available are Macchiato and the light grey.

The only colors available are - black, green, red and brown and none of them with the AMG Performance Seats.

I think this very disappointing for the launch of a brand new and flagship brand of automobiles.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Now part of the MB luxury experience. Still though, should be a fun car!
Old 03-31-2022, 01:49 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Yup...welcome to three weeks ago. Likely due to the global materials shortage...I would not hold this against MB...
Old 03-31-2022, 01:56 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
You could order a BMW and not get the touch screen. Could order a ford with missing parts, Tesla with missing parts, etc. as Alan stated it’s not a MB issue but a worldwide parts shortage for lots of brands. It does suck but this is the world we live in right now.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:26 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
I am not totally sure if I agree that this was unavoidable and MB has no blame in this

Lets look at the facts:

First of all I am really mad at my dealership who only made me aware of this a few days ago when this situation has been known for months.

If you look at the ordering guide you will see that the situation with the seats which is at the root of most of the problem happened in November of last year.
That means it happened within days of the first ordering guide being made available, the one that for example I used to specify my SL 63.

Even crazier, in Germany the Configurator is active and you can order all the items which are not available and then it is up to the dealer to tell you - sorry but we are switching you to whatever. I have checked with dealers there who confirm it is the same situation there.

I think this entire matter has been handled in a less than candid and sloppy way.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I would personally wait for the right car (MY23) that has all the options I want unless an end of lease, accident, etc. makes a quick purchases necessary... Good luck!

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-31-2022 at 06:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cwen (04-05-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 05:12 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
Lets look at the facts:

First of all I am really mad at my dealership who only made me aware of this a few days ago when this situation has been known for months.

If you look at the ordering guide you will see that the situation with the seats which is at the root of most of the problem happened in November of last year.
That means it happened within days of the first ordering guide being made available, the one that for example I used to specify my SL 63.

Even crazier, in Germany the Configurator is active and you can order all the items which are not available and then it is up to the dealer to tell you - sorry but we are switching you to whatever. I have checked with dealers there who confirm it is the same situation there.

I think this entire matter has been handled in a less than candid and sloppy way.
I had code 835 (Macchiato Exclusive leather) in the order system from October until about two weeks ago. I am the one that brought it to the attention of my salesman that there might be a problem. We looked at his computer together, and somebody else at the dealership or MBNA had changed the interior of my order to black on 3/17. So your dealer had not been aware for months.

I am also the one who brought it to the attention of my salesman that there might be a problem with my 2022 E63 wagon order.

There are definitely communication issues between DBAG, MBNA, dealers, and customers...becoming more evident with the supply chain shortages.
Old 04-02-2022, 07:02 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
All different upholstery options for the standard seats are avaiable in several (EU) countries, only the Performance Seat options are worldwide delayed (early 2023).
Also in some countries you can only order the night package with black wheels, in other countries with all wheel types. So it apparantly also has to do with some market segmentation and balancing some part numbers/variants across the world.

Normally not an issue, it MB AND the dealer network communicate this allright and in time.

BTW, I would always skip a 1st or 2nd quarter production car of any new car model, it always takes some time to get everything right and iron out the main difficulties. Go for a MY23 car, enjoy next spring and all will be ok
Old 04-08-2022, 04:06 PM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
In the mean time, you can order your Performance Seats here: https://amgofficechair.mycybergroup.shop/
There will be 50 available for PL members for Euro 3.500 each.

Video: