SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Delayed Release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2022, 07:21 PM

Received 68 Likes on 46 Posts
C63s
Sorry, I don’t think it’s cool to sit and start someone’s allocated vehicle.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:40 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
It really is quite interesting to watch available cars within 500 miles mushrooming from one day to the next. By today, there are about two dozen cars available within 500 miles of DC.
So, this got me thinking. Mercedes Benz has been building since January/February, probably many hundreds a month and stockpiling them for six months without selling a single car in the USA. It is now the middle of August and there are 383 dealerships (of different sizes) in this country.
I will not be surprised if there is going to be an avalanche of vehicles coming to the dealerships in the near future. I think we are going to find out how big a market there really is for $ 200 k cabriolets at the tail end of a model year. I also think this may very well put the kibosh on the ambitions by dealers to add huge ADM's to the price of vehicles.
Old 08-11-2022, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
SL 63AMG Brunswick Ga

Have any SL’s been shipped to dealers out of Brunswick GA mine has been there since the first of July
Old 08-11-2022, 11:00 PM

C63s
Pretty exciting times!
Old 08-12-2022, 03:42 PM

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLS63 AMG 2022 SL63 AMG
I don't disagree, and I told them I don't want anyone sitting in my car when it shows up. For what it's worth, I never sat in the driver's seat and the dealer salesperson fired up the engine on his own without being asked to and also lowered the top. I think they had already gotten approval from the pending owner to show the car until he could pick it up. I didn't sit in the driver's seat or push any buttons.

It's a beautiful ride, no doubt. If they were going to charge an ADM, I had already decided to walk as they are charging about $15K more than I expected when I ordered the vehicle. But I think I'm going to proceed.
The following 2 users liked this post by TJ Dallas:
BLAM (08-12-2022), California John (08-12-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 06:25 PM

Talking about bad habits, how does a dealer have the gal to place an order and then charge ADM when it finally gets there. It is a horrible habit when they charge ADM on vehicles in stock, but on customer orders that is really something. Unless of course they told you that upfront and that was the bargain you struck. I really am convinced there is going to be no shortage of these vehicles in the very near future. Again, just an opinion.
Old 08-12-2022, 07:07 PM

C63s
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
Talking about bad habits, how does a dealer have the gal to place an order and then charge ADM when it finally gets there. It is a horrible habit when they charge ADM on vehicles in stock, but on customer orders that is really something. Unless of course they told you that upfront and that was the bargain you struck. I really am convinced there is going to be no shortage of these vehicles in the very near future. Again, just an opinion.
Yup not cool; I feel ya! I think the SL will all sell at MSRP by summer of next year and the discounts will start showing up by winter next year. I suggest you shop around from another dealer, but you may have to start over with a new build. They are not going to sell a an unallocated vehicle without ADM.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:56 PM

I feel very blessed being the proud original owner of an Edition 1 GTS with 8200 miles. She truly is a beauty and has been a trouble free ( knock on wood) car from day one.

Today is a beautiful day in Washington and so my wife and I went out for a drive to the Chesapeake and we really had a wonderful time.

On the way back, cruising along at 90 mph I asked myself why I would trade this car in for an AMG Sl ( I have one on order) and other than it is a convertible I could not come up with anything. I thingk the GT is a very distinctive looking car that I get a great deal of compliments on. She handles beautifully and has plenty spirit for my needs and desire. It has many of the items that are unavailable in the SL - performance seats and leather/mica upholstery with red trip and yes it has red calipers.

What it does not have is the giant i-pad on the center console or popping out TESLA doorhandles.

I was totally and absolutely all set to trade her in for the new SL, but now, I am not so sure.

What do you think?
Old 08-13-2022, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
I feel very blessed being the proud original owner of an Edition 1 GTS with 8200 miles. She truly is a beauty and has been a trouble free ( knock on wood) car from day one.

Today is a beautiful day in Washington and so my wife and I went out for a drive to the Chesapeake and we really had a wonderful time.

On the way back, cruising along at 90 mph I asked myself why I would trade this car in for an AMG Sl ( I have one on order) and other than it is a convertible I could not come up with anything. I thingk the GT is a very distinctive looking car that I get a great deal of compliments on. She handles beautifully and has plenty spirit for my needs and desire. It has many of the items that are unavailable in the SL - performance seats and leather/mica upholstery with red trip and yes it has red calipers.

What it does not have is the giant i-pad on the center console or popping out TESLA doorhandles.

I was totally and absolutely all set to trade her in for the new SL, but now, I am not so sure.

What do you think?
Depends on what you want. Despite sharing an upcoming platform, at the end of the day, the two will have differing personalities, the SL will be the luxury top down roadster, and the GT will be the hardtop corner carver.

The SL will be more livable and everyday friendly, featuring more comfortable seats and suspension as well as amenities like massage seats, airscarf, and the beauty of top down driving.

The GT will always be a more hardcore sports car, boasting a unique chassis setup (front-mid engine) as well as a more aggressively tuned suspension and gearbox for harder cornering.

To me, the GT would always be more of a weekend car, purely as we have rough roads where I travel, and there the GT does show its tougher suspension tuning. That and while the AMG buckets are incredibly supportive, I find they are very stiff and can be a lot during long drives. For me, the SL fits my lifestyle better and is more usable while still providing plenty of frills, but then again, YMMV.
The following 2 users liked this post by js_cls:
Omega803 (08-13-2022), Tifoso48 (08-13-2022)
Old 08-13-2022, 06:55 PM

Thank you js_cls for your sensible and objective comments. Yes, DC roads are for sure a challenge to drive on for a car like the GT and yes, the seats are sporty and supportive but not the world's most comfortable.
Old 08-14-2022, 04:58 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 183 Posts
I had one of the first GTC's to hit S FL ordered and had to pass as climbing in and out was a problem as I had a back injury I was healing from at the time, the new SL appears to be a better fit (pun intended) for a DD and I look forward to trying one on for size. I agree on the waiting for exclusive interior options, luved the bengal red/black combo on my S coupes, and liked it was a true/darker red than the orange/red that was on the GTC I ordered.

Last edited by RJC; 08-14-2022 at 05:00 PM.