SL/R232: Configurator and pricing for U.S. now up and running

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by docsout
Just saw demo SL63, fully dressed, at dealer. All black. Told AMG rep that I'd seen a similar one posted somewhere 'up Nawth' on this forum. She said there were six in the nation, all the same, making dealer rounds. Came from Atlanta, here then on to Texas and Colorado. No soft close doors. Transmission shifter on column. Interior appears 'tight' compared to 231, perhaps because of black everything and that intrusive tablet. Rear vision poor due to rear seat's head rest and small rear window. Headliner not firm, as I would have expected. Said wheel base extended 5", yet body only 1" longer. Trunk space smaller than 231. I spoke of only four colors for interiors and she said more are available. Salesperson able to pull up Macchiato beige with quilting along with other colors. She said next year there will be a carbon fiber grey colored top available.
It is interesting that the salesperson is able to pull up other interior colors but they don't show on the configurator and can't be ordered yet.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
GLE350
Saw white 63 today at dealer in Bosnia Springs,Fl. Simply Gorgeous!! Very impressive when seen in person. Does look a little snug. Follow up with your dealer if you have not done so recently. Had the distinct impression that my pre configuration order for 55 had been lost in the “system”. Red top not available with black exterior surprisingly. Seems like red top available in very few colors. Sierra brown interior not available with red exterior either. Combinations should expand with production ramp up. Btw, no add on for gas guzzler tax.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:20 PM

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts
2017 SL450, 2017 Ford Expedition, 2007 CLK 550, 2019 Buick Enclave
Are you buyers configuring and buying a 2022 vehicle or are they late enough production/delivery that it will have a 2023 tag?? If you ordered one now, would it be a 2023?

I have no intention of buying one, but like to keep up with what is happening with it. This car will be a last year's model about the time you get it if they are dating it as a 2022 configuration....good grief.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Panama
Are you buyers configuring and buying a 2022 vehicle or are they late enough production/delivery that it will have a 2023 tag?? If you ordered one now, would it be a 2023?

I have no intention of buying one, but like to keep up with what is happening with it. This car will be a last year's model about the time you get it if they are dating it as a 2022 configuration....good grief.
all the ones built so far are 2022. Not sure there is info on what it would be if you ordered today as the VIN wouldn’t be assigned for a while but I have to assume it would roll into 2023 soon.
Old 08-04-2022, 04:32 PM

Received 263 Likes on 169 Posts
Originally Posted by Omega803
Btw, no add on for gas guzzler tax.
It will be on there when the Monroney is generated…you can count on it.
Old 08-09-2022, 07:21 AM

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Just saw demo SL63, fully dressed, at dealer. All black. Told AMG rep that I'd seen a similar one posted somewhere 'up Nawth' on this forum. She said there were six in the nation, all the same, making dealer rounds. Came from Atlanta, here then on to Texas and Colorado. No soft close doors. Transmission shifter on column. Interior appears 'tight' compared to 231, perhaps because of black everything and that intrusive tablet. Rear vision poor due to rear seat's head rest and small rear window. Headliner not firm, as I would have expected. Said wheel base extended 5", yet body only 1" longer. Trunk space smaller than 231. I spoke of only four colors for interiors and she said more are available. Salesperson able to pull up Macchiato beige with quilting along with other colors. She said next year there will be a carbon fiber grey colored top available.

As I thought about my above post, I think this is a gussied up GT with lux thrown in. Small cabin like a GT, minimalist trunk, but with improved performance. I remember Wolfman describing his GT as wearing a suit two sizes too small when compared to his SL. This is NOT an SL, regardless of the attempt to evolve to something new or to return to it's roots. I think MB made a terrible mistake of turning the entire development over to AMG. Yes, there is a grand ballyhoo over the newness but between the useless windscreen, the useless back seats, the small trunk that can not accommodate golf bags, the soft top subject to vandals and deterioration, I see limited sales appeal to either women or men.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:56 PM

^ And yet Porsche cannot make enough of their version of same...which is why the new SL has everything you mentioned. As somebody pointed out in another thread...the old formula was not working. Buyers were dying off and sales along with them. It was either go after a proven market or discontinue the model line. C'est la vie.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 08-09-2022 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
California John (08-09-2022), Germancar1 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-09-2022, 10:08 PM

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
I hadn’t thought of it, that way. I.e, if Porsche is doing it, follow the money.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by docsout
I hadn’t thought of it, that way. I.e, if Porsche is doing it, follow the money.
Follow the money? Is that the Mercedes way?

The Mercedes brand has always meant innovation, not following.

GM for example follows the money. With the C8 Corvette, they finally implemented their copy of Ferrari’s innovation twenty-one years after the introduction of the Ferrari 360. That’s following the money. That’s garbage innovation.

I’m not sure if the R232 is an attempt to copy or emulate the 911. They are worlds apart. Regardless, it is difficult to imagine that any attempt by any manufacturer to copy the 911 would result in something remotely close to resembling the stuff of a 911, and I think Mercedes would have to be smart enough to imagine the same.

Last edited by 348SStb; 08-09-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:08 AM

^ Mercedes is a business…of course they follow the money. Mercedes innovation when it comes to the SL will be launch of the hybrid versions, 4-cylinder included, which everyone on here has screamed bloody murder about. Be careful what you wish for when you ask for innovation.

Meanwhile the C8 Z06 is about to go on sale with a new, positively scintillating and record breaking high revving naturally aspirated V8, a design abandoned by all other manufacturers including Ferrari and Mercedes. Following Chevrolet is not.

The new SL is not copying or emulating the 911. But it is going after that market, which cares less about storing golf clubs and more about where to toss an Hermes bag.
The following users liked this post:
California John (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 05:58 AM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Mercedes is a business…of course they follow the money. Mercedes innovation when it comes to the SL will be launch of the hybrid versions, 4-cylinder included, which everyone on here has screamed bloody murder about. Be careful what you wish for when you ask for innovation.

Meanwhile the C8 Z06 is about to go on sale with a new, positively scintillating and record breaking high revving naturally aspirated V8, a design abandoned by all other manufacturers including Ferrari and Mercedes. Following Chevrolet is not.

The new SL is not copying or emulating the 911. But it is going after that market, which cares less about storing golf clubs and more about where to toss an Hermes bag.
Everything you said is debatable, and I just don’t agree with any of it.

The SL was always a car that was the only one of its kind. Two-seat high luxury roadster (S-class level) with sporting capabilities. It was a leader, not a follower. (It also spawned 4-cylinder variants in the past - this is not the first time.) Mercedes manufactured the SL in spite of its competitors, not in response to them.

“Following Chevrolet is not.” Are you serious? GM abandoned the front mid-engine rear transaxle configuration — Corvette heritage — and went to a rear mid-engine configuration. That’s not a direct following of European cars? GM also went to a flat plane crank V8 which was introduced by Ferrari in the 1970s and adopted also by McLaren and later a thorn in its side, Ford. GM then introduced the Z06 engine on Jay Leno’s show and then, in nauseating fashion, talked about the engine like they invented the flat plane crank V8 concept and gave zero credit to the many decades of engineering by others that allowed them to arrive at their achievement. That’s not following? The fact is GM is always playing catch-up, and that company has done little more than absolute zero in the innovation department as far as sports cars go. And I’m a former C7 Corvette owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
Drone_S213 (08-10-2022), Germancar1 (08-10-2022)
Old 08-10-2022, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,282 Likes on 2,040 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ And yet Porsche cannot make enough of their version of same...which is why the new SL has everything you mentioned. As somebody pointed out in another thread...the old formula was not working. Buyers were dying off and sales along with them. It was either go after a proven market or discontinue the model line. C'est la vie.
Completely agree that AMG is going after the lucrative 911 market. Why not? I think there is confusion amongst many that think that the SL isn't competitive with the 911 or that 911's are only purchased by car enthusiasts that likely track their car.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:31 PM

Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts
2021 AMG E63s Wagon
Z51 best value C8

Originally Posted by 348SStb
Everything you said is debatable, and I just don’t agree with any of it.

The SL was always a car that was the only one of its kind. Two-seat high luxury roadster (S-class level) with sporting capabilities. It was a leader, not a follower. (It also spawned 4-cylinder variants in the past - this is not the first time.) Mercedes manufactured the SL in spite of its competitors, not in response to them.

“Following Chevrolet is not.” Are you serious? GM abandoned the front mid-engine rear transaxle configuration — Corvette heritage — and went to a rear mid-engine configuration. That’s not a direct following of European cars? GM also went to a flat plane crank V8 which was introduced by Ferrari in the 1970s and adopted also by McLaren and later a thorn in its side, Ford. GM then introduced the Z06 engine on Jay Leno’s show and then, in nauseating fashion, talked about the engine like they invented the flat plane crank V8 concept and gave zero credit to the many decades of engineering by others that allowed them to arrive at their achievement. That’s not following? The fact is GM is always playing catch-up, and that company has done little more than absolute zero in the innovation department as far as sports cars go. And I’m a former C7 Corvette owner.
No longer a GM fan since lost Legacy Employee Discount in 2019 and Mary Barra took over as CEO. Engineers in my Department were responsible for generic Night Vision System used on old Cadillac DTS. We had a few test mules to drive home from El Segundo, CA Campus. Albuquerque Engineering Lab also provided Systems Engineering and Control Systems support for the Corvette. I prefer the CT5-V Black Wing manual with its old school supercharger over the C8 Z06. GM is now punishing owners who flip the Hummer EV and Escalade-V before initial 12-months by cutting off its Warranty to future owners...not sure if they will do the same later for Z06?

​​Purchased AMG Wagon at MSRP instead of that Blackwing in 2021. Think I still get $5 Hughes Employee Discount for DirecTV...lol
To appease the Golfers AMG Engineers should install an optional front seat that folds out of the way flat to accommodate a full sized Pro Cart or Airline Golf travel bag.