SL/R232: 6 Week Report on SL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
6 Week Report on SL63

The handling of the car is really quite nice. It can be as smooth as you want or be quite the beast and tight. But the car never really rides rough anywhere on the roads that I travel on. I usually keep the suspension in the sport setting. And that's fine for me. Comfort would indeed be a little more relaxed I guess but I just like to car a bit more on edge. And when I am taking a fast sweeper, I put the car in sport plus and manual shifting and damn if that rear end and front end don't stay just where you want them! Some of the credit goes to the rear wheel counter steering - which my previous GTC also had, and some to the new AWD.

I give most of the credit for its ability to follow the line you set to the AMG Active Ride Control suspension. “An innovative adaptive suspension features active anti-roll technology. Replacing mechanical torsion bars is a system that hydraulically interconnects all four adaptive shock absorbers. Intelligent, automatic and near-instant control helps arrest body roll and pitch in response to driving dynamics, sharpening cornering response via higher camber control, and refining comfort with precise compensation for individual wheel movements, even at the opposite wheel.”

My car also has the AerodynamicsPackage which contributes to the car’s stable feel. “More aggressively aerodynamic details help reduce drag while enhancing downforce at speed. Included is an active carbon-fiber underbody element. Weighing less than 5 lbs, it can extend downward by up to 1.6 inches at driving speeds above 50 mph, based on the modes of AMG Dynamic Select. The resulting venturi effect helps draw the vehicle toward the road, lowering its center of gravity and enhancing downforce on the front wheels for more precise steering feedback.”

There is a switch on the steering wheel which allows for manual lowering of the underbody element for cleaning when stopped and parked. With it down you can see the difference in the underbody with it lowered. When it's retracted it goes up quite a bit. Once the car is started it immediately retracts until the car is up to speed when it lowers again. These dynamic enhancements help keep the car low to the ground and stable.

There has been much discussion about the new MBUX system and the large iPad like device to the right of the driver in the middle of the dash area. Functionally, when you get used to how it works and find things, it is a reservoir of information. There is a great deal of data that was never discoverable in my GTS or GTC. The same is true with what can be shown on the dashboard itself. The dashboard interface is highly customizable with the driver being able to choose a number of different visual interfaces, as well as many, many different sub menus that can be uncovered to see you at all times or just plain never. In a way it is like a computer that has a simple interface if that is what you want. If you want the simplest iPad or iPhone interface with a few applications placed in front of you - that’s available and you may never want more. If you want to get your inner Unix on, well have at it. No, there’s no command line! No terminal. But you can uncover dozens of information panels. My metaphors may be off for some people, but I guess you understand what I mean. No, you won’t be able to find an oil pressure psi gauge (that I’m aware of) but the GTS and GTC I had didn’t either - at least not to my memory.

I use the front axle lift system. There are a few areas I drive to with either a poor angle of entry to a driveway or a parking area with speed bumps. When I use it I set a memory button (there’s a prompt that asks you if you want the location memorized) so every time I approach that area the front axle lifts automatically. Quite handy. It is an “enhancement to AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL [which] can employ its advanced hydraulics to raise the front-axle ride height up to 1.2 inches, which can be helpful when negotiating steep driveways or speed bumps. Activated via the central touchscreen or AMG DRIVE UNIT controls on the steering wheel, the system also lets you store a location based on GPS, so the feature can activate automatically the next time you approach it.”

The gas mileage is another interesting item. Typically I drive around town and if I fill up my gas tank the number of miles remaining is usually about 215 or 220. This is the number showing next to the gas gauge on the dashboard. And this number is calculated I assume using recent gas consumption patterns. The other day I had recently filled up the gas tank and shortly there after I had to drive to Los Angeles to an area about 50 miles from my house. When I left my house the gas gauge showed I had 213 miles remaining. When I returned the gas gauge show I had 193 miles remaining. Yet I had driven 100 miles! The obvious answer is that I’m driving the freeway into Los Angeles and going at a steady speed between 60 and 80 miles an hour without any stop and go. Yet normally in my drive around town, I am constantly stopping and going - accelerating at de-accelerating. I found this interesting. Also around my local driving area there are a fair number of onramps and other fun acceleration zones all of which add to gulping gas.

I have had a continuing problem with battery depletion messages popping up in the MercedesMe app as well as 2-3 times on the dashboard itself. It is something that the dealership hasn’t been able to fix even after going back and forth with Germany a few times. It should be noted that the car always starts and after you drive there is no longer a message on the app and the dashboard message disappears as soon as you start the car. Thinking that the battery is truly depleted I have trickle charged it for 8-10 hours. And, the trickle charger shows that the battery is somewhat above 50% charged when begun (using the Mercedes Benz trickle charger that came with my GTC) and gradually the display on the charger changes until finally the light is green! I am not sure whether the charger is reading accurate info though. The general manager of the dealership also has an SL63 with the same issue. The latest message that they have received from Germany is that they believe there is some sub system that unless the car is locked, doesn't shut off entirely. I had that hunch myself and for the last few weeks I have locked the car after I get out of it even in my garage. So I'm now to take the car into the dealership for a test prescribed by Germany to test their supposition about a sub system not turning off. And I know for a fact that unless you lock the car after you get out of it, the customizable interior door and dash lights, the ones that you can change colors, do not shut off…no matter how long it has been since you got out of the car. Perhaps related.

Also a problem with the bar on the bottom of the MBUX display. There is a button on the bar which is supposed to bring up a Functions panel. It has a car icon just to the left of the emergency flashers button. I use it a lot as it brings up some items I use regularly. About once every 2-3 weeks the icon doesn’t work to bring up the Functions menu. Occasionally banging on it makes it work, but two other times it took the car being turned off for a while for it to reset. The engine has to “can-down” completely first…and can take 10-15 minutes. The service manager said that when the new S models came out they had some similar problems with the MBUX and buttons and then a software fix came out and it was gone.

All in all I find the SL63 a delight to drive. It can be a monster with incredible speed and handling at hand or a smooth cruiser as well. It is fast, stable and a worthy successor to my previous AMGs. I live in Southern California and the top is down 90% if the time. That is one of the reasons I especially enjoyed my GTC convertible - a bit more than the GTS I had for 2 years before.

Last edited by California John; 11-01-2022 at 12:29 AM.
The following 12 users liked this post by California John:
e350wagon1 (03-06-2023), HAWKiS63 (11-07-2022), iridium18 (11-01-2022), JohnGigi (05-08-2023), js_cls (11-01-2022), kongolo (06-14-2023), mmmamg (11-01-2022), SLclass (12-04-2022), Star&Car (11-01-2022), TJ Dallas (11-01-2022), van_rider (11-02-2022), Wolfman (11-01-2022) and 7 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2022, 11:21 PM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
Great write-up and I agree with all your experiences with performance! Being in Pennsylvania, I havent had the ability to get it out as much although the weather has been surprisingly nice for this time of the year. I would like to comment on the starter battery issue though. I still have been getting the Critical battery message often and when I havent driven the car for a week, on occasion I will start the car and get numerous errors about functions not working or activating; these have included the HUD, the rear wheel steering, etc. The engine starts but these messages appear. I have stopped the engine after a few minutes and restarted and they can usually clear but not always. I have driven the car and then stopped and restarted and the issues seem to disappear. I'm wondering if this has to do with the starter battery charge being low even though the car starts fine. I checked the charge of the battery after not driving it for a day and it was at 50%; the charger would only get to 68% after charging for a couple of hours. The car was sent to the place where I get Xpel and tinting for my cars and after a day there, I got another Critical battery message and I asked them to charge the battery. The car has always been locked while at home and this still seems to occur. I'll take it to the dealer once I get it back and see what they have to say. I also had one experience where I tried sending a location on google to the car from the app and then the car would not open even though the door handle would extend. It was the oddest thing but pissed me off. I could remote start the car but couldn't get in. My wife gave me the "How much did you pay for this car that we can't even get into" look. I left it alone for a bit and took out my other car. When we got back a few hours later it was fine and unlocked without issues. Crazy! Other than this, I have been extremely happy with the car but do wonder what other new model year issues will popup!!
Old 11-02-2022, 12:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No car
Since you've driven both GTC and SL63, I have two question for you:
[1] if you have a budget of $165k for an use 2020 GTC or a new SL55, what would you choose? I know it's not the same spec to compare a SL63 to a SL55 but what would be your suggestion?
[2] If you have the option to spec the SL with Performance Seats (similar to those on the GTC), would you do that instead of the standard seats you have now?

Thanks!

Last edited by cwen; 11-02-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by cwen
Since you've driven both GTC and SL63, I have two question for you:
[1] if you have a budget of $165k for an use 2020 GTC or a new SL55, what would you choose? I know it's not the same spec to compare a SL63 to a SL55 but what would be your suggestion?
[2] If you have the option to spec the SL with Performance Seats (similar to those on the GTC), would you do that instead of the standard seats you have now?

Thanks!
1) I would take the GTC. Much more power.
2) The seats I have now have all the features of the GTC performance seats (as I remember them)...and then some. Many types of massage for instance. I enjoy the massage options and I don't remember that as a feature on the GTC. Plus the lumbar support on the SL63 is much more configurable.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by EZ2020
Great write-up and I agree with all your experiences with performance! Being in Pennsylvania, I havent had the ability to get it out as much although the weather has been surprisingly nice for this time of the year. I would like to comment on the starter battery issue though. I still have been getting the Critical battery message often and when I havent driven the car for a week, on occasion I will start the car and get numerous errors about functions not working or activating; these have included the HUD, the rear wheel steering, etc. The engine starts but these messages appear. I have stopped the engine after a few minutes and restarted and they can usually clear but not always. I have driven the car and then stopped and restarted and the issues seem to disappear. I'm wondering if this has to do with the starter battery charge being low even though the car starts fine. I checked the charge of the battery after not driving it for a day and it was at 50%; the charger would only get to 68% after charging for a couple of hours. The car was sent to the place where I get Xpel and tinting for my cars and after a day there, I got another Critical battery message and I asked them to charge the battery. The car has always been locked while at home and this still seems to occur. I'll take it to the dealer once I get it back and see what they have to say. I also had one experience where I tried sending a location on google to the car from the app and then the car would not open even though the door handle would extend. It was the oddest thing but pissed me off. I could remote start the car but couldn't get in. My wife gave me the "How much did you pay for this car that we can't even get into" look. I left it alone for a bit and took out my other car. When we got back a few hours later it was fine and unlocked without issues. Crazy! Other than this, I have been extremely happy with the car but do wonder what other new model year issues will popup!!
Damn! I don't know what to say. The dealership I have worked with, the largest in the USA ,has been in touch with engineering in Germany on all the issues and Germany does respond although they don't always have an immediate answer without further testing. The latest is with the ambient lighting. If you have this "on" and it is pretty - when you get out of the car and don't lock it and have the key a few meters away, it won't turn off for 30 minutes. Apparently it is set to stay on for exactly that long unless you lock it. At the dealership after getting that info from Germany, they tested it with some new models on the showroom floor and each of them shut off the ambient light at exactly 30 minutes. In the same situation, been using the car, get out without locking and take the key about 2-3 meters away, the dashboard stays lit for 2 minutes, the MBUX display at the bottom for 4 minutes, and the ambient for 30 minutes. Of course it is all moot if you lock the car.

The latest thing is that Germany has cancelled my MercedesMe account to reset everything, thinking the perhaps the old association might persist some problems, and I am to take the car in to the dealership for them to double check that the MBUX has recorded that the account is cancelled (it has - and I got a message from MercedesMe that the account was cancelled) and then they will take measurements again which they will pass on to Germany. It is interesting to note that since I began locking the car in the garage at home I haven't had any MercedesMe messages about battery being down. So that may be connected. Anyway, the car does not show a discernible draw on electricity sitting at the dealership - so they say - so we will see when I take it back tomorrow for them to see the mercedesme disconnect tomorrow. Fortunately the dealership is close by. BTW, when the MercedesMe is disconnected a lot of the customization you have made is also dissolved. Not fun.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:17 PM

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
The battery notice problem happens every time my detailer cleans the car. It's never made any difference in starting so I think it's just too sensitive. On the SL63 engine, I love it and the sound is amazing. I think I read somewhere the SL63 engine is the same one from the GTR with added HP. Not as fast as my M8 Competition, but sounds much better and corners extremely well as mentioned in John's write up. Wonderful car.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by JohnGigi
The battery notice problem happens every time my detailer cleans the car. It's never made any difference in starting so I think it's just too sensitive. On the SL63 engine, I love it and the sound is amazing. I think I read somewhere the SL63 engine is the same one from the GTR with added HP. Not as fast as my M8 Competition, but sounds much better and corners extremely well as mentioned in John's write up. Wonderful car.
The GTC and GTR have the same M178 engine and feature larger turbos vs the GT or GTS. These all have dry sump lubrication.
The SL63 has the M177 engine like the E63s. The question here is wether the turbos are single or twin scroll. The power is a little low for the twin scroll or maybe it's just detuned (577hp vs. 612hp).
Old 11-03-2022, 05:49 PM

Received 93 Likes on 46 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
AC issue

Originally Posted by California John
The handling of the car is really quite nice. It can be as smooth as you want or be quite the beast and tight. But the car never really rides rough anywhere on the roads that I travel on. I usually keep the suspension in the sport setting. And that's fine for me. Comfort would indeed be a little more relaxed I guess but I just like to car a bit more on edge. And when I am taking a fast sweeper, I put the car in sport plus and manual shifting and damn if that rear end and front end don't stay just where you want them! Some of the credit goes to the rear wheel counter steering - which my previous GTC also had, and some to the new AWD.

I give most of the credit for its ability to follow the line you set to the AMG Active Ride Control suspension. “An innovative adaptive suspension features active anti-roll technology. Replacing mechanical torsion bars is a system that hydraulically interconnects all four adaptive shock absorbers. Intelligent, automatic and near-instant control helps arrest body roll and pitch in response to driving dynamics, sharpening cornering response via higher camber control, and refining comfort with precise compensation for individual wheel movements, even at the opposite wheel.”

My car also has the AerodynamicsPackage which contributes to the car’s stable feel. “More aggressively aerodynamic details help reduce drag while enhancing downforce at speed. Included is an active carbon-fiber underbody element. Weighing less than 5 lbs, it can extend downward by up to 1.6 inches at driving speeds above 50 mph, based on the modes of AMG Dynamic Select. The resulting venturi effect helps draw the vehicle toward the road, lowering its center of gravity and enhancing downforce on the front wheels for more precise steering feedback.”

There is a switch on the steering wheel which allows for manual lowering of the underbody element for cleaning when stopped and parked. With it down you can see the difference in the underbody with it lowered. When it's retracted it goes up quite a bit. Once the car is started it immediately retracts until the car is up to speed when it lowers again. These dynamic enhancements help keep the car low to the ground and stable.

There has been much discussion about the new MBUX system and the large iPad like device to the right of the driver in the middle of the dash area. Functionally, when you get used to how it works and find things, it is a reservoir of information. There is a great deal of data that was never discoverable in my GTS or GTC. The same is true with what can be shown on the dashboard itself. The dashboard interface is highly customizable with the driver being able to choose a number of different visual interfaces, as well as many, many different sub menus that can be uncovered to see you at all times or just plain never. In a way it is like a computer that has a simple interface if that is what you want. If you want the simplest iPad or iPhone interface with a few applications placed in front of you - that’s available and you may never want more. If you want to get your inner Unix on, well have at it. No, there’s no command line! No terminal. But you can uncover dozens of information panels. My metaphors may be off for some people, but I guess you understand what I mean. No, you won’t be able to find an oil pressure psi gauge (that I’m aware of) but the GTS and GTC I had didn’t either - at least not to my memory.

I use the front axle lift system. There are a few areas I drive to with either a poor angle of entry to a driveway or a parking area with speed bumps. When I use it I set a memory button (there’s a prompt that asks you if you want the location memorized) so every time I approach that area the front axle lifts automatically. Quite handy. It is an “enhancement to AMG ACTIVE RIDE CONTROL [which] can employ its advanced hydraulics to raise the front-axle ride height up to 1.2 inches, which can be helpful when negotiating steep driveways or speed bumps. Activated via the central touchscreen or AMG DRIVE UNIT controls on the steering wheel, the system also lets you store a location based on GPS, so the feature can activate automatically the next time you approach it.”

The gas mileage is another interesting item. Typically I drive around town and if I fill up my gas tank the number of miles remaining is usually about 215 or 220. This is the number showing next to the gas gauge on the dashboard. And this number is calculated I assume using recent gas consumption patterns. The other day I had recently filled up the gas tank and shortly there after I had to drive to Los Angeles to an area about 50 miles from my house. When I left my house the gas gauge showed I had 213 miles remaining. When I returned the gas gauge show I had 193 miles remaining. Yet I had driven 100 miles! The obvious answer is that I’m driving the freeway into Los Angeles and going at a steady speed between 60 and 80 miles an hour without any stop and go. Yet normally in my drive around town, I am constantly stopping and going - accelerating at de-accelerating. I found this interesting. Also around my local driving area there are a fair number of onramps and other fun acceleration zones all of which add to gulping gas.

I have had a continuing problem with battery depletion messages popping up in the MercedesMe app as well as 2-3 times on the dashboard itself. It is something that the dealership hasn’t been able to fix even after going back and forth with Germany a few times. It should be noted that the car always starts and after you drive there is no longer a message on the app and the dashboard message disappears as soon as you start the car. Thinking that the battery is truly depleted I have trickle charged it for 8-10 hours. And, the trickle charger shows that the battery is somewhat above 50% charged when begun (using the Mercedes Benz trickle charger that came with my GTC) and gradually the display on the charger changes until finally the light is green! I am not sure whether the charger is reading accurate info though. The general manager of the dealership also has an SL63 with the same issue. The latest message that they have received from Germany is that they believe there is some sub system that unless the car is locked, doesn't shut off entirely. I had that hunch myself and for the last few weeks I have locked the car after I get out of it even in my garage. So I'm now to take the car into the dealership for a test prescribed by Germany to test their supposition about a sub system not turning off. And I know for a fact that unless you lock the car after you get out of it, the customizable interior door and dash lights, the ones that you can change colors, do not shut off…no matter how long it has been since you got out of the car. Perhaps related.

Also a problem with the bar on the bottom of the MBUX display. There is a button on the bar which is supposed to bring up a Functions panel. It has a car icon just to the left of the emergency flashers button. I use it a lot as it brings up some items I use regularly. About once every 2-3 weeks the icon doesn’t work to bring up the Functions menu. Occasionally banging on it makes it work, but two other times it took the car being turned off for a while for it to reset. The engine has to “can-down” completely first…and can take 10-15 minutes. The service manager said that when the new S models came out they had some similar problems with the MBUX and buttons and then a software fix came out and it was gone.

All in all I find the SL63 a delight to drive. It can be a monster with incredible speed and handling at hand or a smooth cruiser as well. It is fast, stable and a worthy successor to my previous AMGs. I live in Southern California and the top is down 90% if the time. That is one of the reasons I especially enjoyed my GTC convertible - a bit more than the GTS I had for 2 years before.
My remaining complaint is still that the AC compressor seems to shut off when stopped at a light even with the Auto-stop feature disabled. Even on an 85* day, it is hot with the top down due to both the welling up engine heat and the AC blowing warm air. The dealership has had no answers and I may trade it on something else if not fixed by next summer. South Texas heat is bad enough without the AC helping at a stop light.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:30 AM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
Originally Posted by JohnGigi
My remaining complaint is still that the AC compressor seems to shut off when stopped at a light even with the Auto-stop feature disabled. Even on an 85* day, it is hot with the top down due to both the welling up engine heat and the AC blowing warm air. The dealership has had no answers and I may trade it on something else if not fixed by next summer. South Texas heat is bad enough without the AC helping at a stop light.

Is this a common issue? Can’t imagine that it was designed that way, and if it is, could be a deal breaker for myself and anyone living in a warm climate.
Old 11-05-2022, 06:58 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
Battery charger?

Thank you for the excellent write-up.

I sold my 2019 GTC roadster today and bought a new 2022 SL63. Just on the drive home I appreciated the larger and more comfortable cabin, and all the electronic toys. As I expected, it’s a more refined GTC and nothing like my SL 600 of 20 years ago.

I have a question: the GTC had a LiFePo4 (lithium) battery under the hood and I used a CTEK lithium charger via the 12V outlet in the trunk. Based on the part number on the SL63 battery in the trunk it’s a conventional AGM battery and can only be charged via the -ve and +ve terminals under the hood. So I’m using a CTEK charger for lead-acid and AGM batteries. Is this correct please? I’d hate to charge with the wrong charger. I haven’t found a 12V outlet in the manual or the car. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (11-07-2022)
Old 11-05-2022, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by FlyingBear
Thank you for the excellent write-up.

I sold my 2019 GTC roadster today and bought a new 2022 SL63. Just on the drive home I appreciated the larger and more comfortable cabin, and all the electronic toys. As I expected, it’s a more refined GTC and nothing like my SL 600 of 20 years ago.

I have a question: the GTC had a LiFePo4 (lithium) battery under the hood and I used a CTEK lithium charger via the 12V outlet in the trunk. Based on the part number on the SL63 battery in the trunk it’s a conventional AGM battery and can only be charged via the -ve and +ve terminals under the hood. So I’m using a CTEK charger for lead-acid and AGM batteries. Is this correct please? I’d hate to charge with the wrong charger. I haven’t found a 12V outlet in the manual or the car. Thanks!
If you pick up the panel in the trunk you'll find this. Looks like a 12 volt 800 CCA lead-acid battery to me:

I believe that if one opts for the trunk kit one of the features is a pre-wired 12 volt socket. But I think that's an option like other options when it is being configured. When I charged it I used the terminals under the hood. Easy to use and safe.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:20 PM

2022 AMG SL63, 992 GT3, Taycan Turbo, 1966 Shelby Cobra, Ford Raptor, KTM 1290 Super Duke R Evo
Many thanks. I had found that battery under the trunk
panel but wasn’t sure if there was another one elsewhere. As I’m clearly demented, I failed to notice the 12V outlet in the front console storage under its neat little cover. It’s listed under “Sockets” in the manual. Sigh. I don’t have one in the trunk. I charged my E63S using the under hood terminals and will continue with that with the SL. Thanks again.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
panel but wasn’t sure if there was another one elsewhere. As I’m clearly demented, I failed to notice the 12V outlet in the front console storage under its neat little cover. It’s listed under “Sockets” in the manual. Sigh. I don’t have one in the trunk. I charged my E63S using the under hood terminals and will continue with that with the SL. Thanks again.
Somewhere, and I think it is in the manual itself, we are told to definitely not try and use those other 12 V socket chargers. But only ones that are specifically for trickle charging. If I’m not mistaken, both my previous GTS and GTC had those in the trunk for a trickle charging. But not this new SL 63. Don’t worry about the dementia. - just keep the smile on your face, and no one will know!
The following users liked this post:
FlyingBear (11-06-2022)
Old 11-06-2022, 12:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
2023 Taycan GTS, 2022 AMG SL63 and 2024 Cayenne S
I've been using the terminals under the hood but for some reason I can't get the battery fully charged.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
I've been using the terminals under the hood but for some reason I can't get the battery fully charged.
I had to leave the trickle charger on for about eight hours before it would go full. It would start out somewhere above 50% and then slowly slowly slowly work its way up. I think it was approximately eight hours, but it could've been as much is 10. One key seems to be locking the car and leaving it locked until you use it again. There does seem to be some bug in the system that appears to be ameliorated when the car is locked. That is the current thinking.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:51 PM

I'm using a CTEK Multi US 7002 intelligent charger, via the two terminals under the hood. It took 12 hours from the low battery warning to a full charge, with the car locked. If you left your car unlocked while charging it may have still been drawing power, hence the potentially longer charge time. Over time, I've found that other cars need to be locked for effective charging, e.g. a Porsche GT3RS and Porsche GT3. Also, if you're using a different charger, it may be worth checking whether it's for an AGM/lead-acid battery or for a LiFePo4/Lithium battery. My AMG GTC and Porsche GT3 have lithium batteries; the E63S and SL63 have conventional AGM batteries. Using the wrong charger can result in issues.
Old 11-06-2022, 12:54 PM

@California John stated "Also a problem with the bar on the bottom of the MBUX display. There is a button on the bar which is supposed to bring up a Functions panel. It has a car icon just to the left of the emergency flashers button. I use it a lot as it brings up some items I use regularly. About once every 2-3 weeks the icon doesn’t work to bring up the Functions menu."

I have the same issue. I haven't figured out the logic behind that particular button. The star button on the steering wheel pulls up the functions menu consistently, though.
Old 11-06-2022, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
I'm using a CTEK Multi US 7002 intelligent charger, via the two terminals under the hood. It took 12 hours from the low battery warning to a full charge, with the car locked. If you left your car unlocked while charging it may have still been drawing power, hence the potentially longer charge time. Over time, I've found that other cars need to be locked for effective charging, e.g. a Porsche GT3RS and Porsche GT3. Also, if you're using a different charger, it may be worth checking whether it's for an AGM/lead-acid battery or for a LiFePo4/Lithium battery. My AMG GTC and Porsche GT3 have lithium batteries; the E63S and SL63 have conventional AGM batteries. Using the wrong charger can result in issues.
I am using the charger from my old GTC. It can charge either kind of battery.
Old 11-06-2022, 02:13 PM

I am using the charger from my old GTC. It can charge either kind of battery.
Interesting. As you say, it's written clearly on the Mercedes charger that it charges both. It's a rebadged CTEK but CTEK doesn't sell a lead-acid/Lithium charger: you have to buy them separately.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
@California John stated "Also a problem with the bar on the bottom of the MBUX display. There is a button on the bar which is supposed to bring up a Functions panel. It has a car icon just to the left of the emergency flashers button. I use it a lot as it brings up some items I use regularly. About once every 2-3 weeks the icon doesn’t work to bring up the Functions menu."

I have the same issue. I haven't figured out the logic behind that particular button. The star button on the steering wheel pulls up the functions menu consistently, though.
I plead guilty to not noticing the star button on the steering wheel - and yes it does bring up the same info. My wife says I must start attending MA - morons anonymous.
Old 11-06-2022, 05:30 PM

I plead guilty to not noticing the star button on the steering wheel - and yes it does bring up the same info. My wife says I must start attending MA - morons anonymous.
It takes forever to RTFM, and I always do it with a new car. But some of the information is buried in weird places, e.g. the 12V outlet is under "socket". I found the star button by accident.

I took my car out for its second ride today, the first being the drive from the dealer to home yesterday. Mostly I wanted to activate the many, many MercedesMe services, which seems to require a strong cellular connection. I have poor coverage at home, and connecting my car to my home wifi didn't seem to help. When I got home, the "car" button that brings up the functions worked perfectly every time. I'm wondering if the strange behavior of that button is related to activation/connectivity.

By the time I got home, 10 of the 42 services listed on my MercedesMe account were activated. This seems to take a long time.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Actually now that I play with it a bit, the star button gets to "favorites" but not to all of the items available in the functions button. Raising and lowering the car for instance...and others that one can't associate with a star.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:01 PM

Actually now that I play with it a bit, the star button gets to "favorites" but not to all of the items available in the functions button. Raising and lowering the car for instance...and others that one can't associate with a star.
You're right. My mistake, sorry.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:29 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.

Nice writeup!

I have some questions:

1) Can you please comment on the wind turbulence in the R232 SL with the top down, windows raised, the wind deflector fit in place, and cruising at 70+ mph?
--> I am wondering if you could put the wind turbulence performance in context - would you be able to compare it to that of the R231 SL (probably the best convertible ever made for minimal wind turbulence), the Porsche 911 992/992 (excellent wind turbulence performance but not quite perfect like the R231), or other modern convertibles?

2) Can you compare the presence of body roll in the R232 (I observe that yours has active ride control with roll stabilization) with, say, any other SL generation car which had ABC which you have driven/owned?

3) Mercedes has a desire to go after Porsche and the 911 with this car. That seems very silly to me when the R232 SL is some 900 pounds heavier as well as 7-8 inches longer. In any event - have you owned a 991 or 991 cabriolet with which you might compare agility and overall sports car feel?

4) There has been talk of a wind noise issue with the top up, drive side window, forward near top of window. Can you comment?

5) With the top up and windows raised — or in coupe form with windows raised — Porsche 911s in general exhibit substantial road noise and roar at highway speeds. Interior ambiance is not very quiet. With the top up and windows raised in the R232 SL, can you comment on how it compares?

6) Any chance you could compare the experience in the R232 SL with that of the BMW M850i convertible?

Last edited by 348SStb; 11-10-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2022 AMG SL63
Nice writeup!

I have some questions:

1) Can you please comment on the wind turbulence in the R232 SL with the top down, windows raised, the wind deflector fit in place, and cruising at 70+ mph?
--> I am wondering if you could put the wind turbulence performance in context - would you be able to compare it to that of the R231 SL (probably the best convertible ever made for minimal wind turbulence), the Porsche 911 992/992 (excellent wind turbulence performance but not quite perfect like the R231), or other modern convertibles?

2) Can you compare the presence of body roll in the R232 (I observe that yours has active ride control with roll stabilization) with, say, any other SL generation car which had ABC which you have driven/owned?

3) Mercedes has a desire to go after Porsche and the 911 with this car. That seems very silly to me when the R232 SL is some 900 pounds heavier as well as 7-8 inches longer. In any event - have you owned a 991 or 991 cabriolet with which you might compare agility and overall sports car feel?

4) There has been talk of a wind noise issue with the top up, drive side window, forward near top of window. Can you comment?

5) With the top up and windows raised — or in coupe form with windows raised — Porsche 911s in general exhibit substantial road noise and roar at highway speeds. Interior ambiance is not very quiet. With the top up and windows raised in the R232 SL, can you comment on how it compares?

6) Any chance you could compare the experience in the R232 SL with that of the BMW M850i convertible?[

1) I had an R231 a number of years ago. I haven't noticed any more turbulence than that. I have no experience with the Porsches. I haven't driven my new one with the top down and windows up with the wind deflector. With the windows down - yes. Quieter than without the deflector at higher speeds.

2) My previous SL R231 had ABC. This new one is a totally different ride. Not rougher at all but more stable and "together" at speed. Definitely better turn in and more precise. While the ABC kept the previous version level, it was not crisp compared to the new one.

3) No experience with the Porsches.

4) There is some wind noise with this soft top up. Doesn't bother me...but I expect some noise when it's a soft top convertible. And....I almost always have the top down.

5) No experience with the Porsches.

6) Sorry no experience with the BMW.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: 6 Week Report on SL63