SL/R232: Is the AMG SL success story?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 05:11 PM

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
W213 E53 | 992 C2 | G20 330i
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
I am wondering what the group thinks.

Autotrader lists around 450 new SL for sale. Clearly, some are duplications but nevertheless, there are tons of unsold vehicles out there.

I am aware that some members have placed order for MY 2023, but have not seen any 2023 available for general sale, which should indicate to me that MB is trying to move this mountain of existing 2022's first.

Is this a strong indicator that this car is simply not moving and of course what are the implications on resale value.

Curious what the group thinks
From a global perspective, isn't the R232 a success? It's definitely now the 2nd best selling "sports" car in Germany after the 911. It's interesting reading the comments from all those who hate the 232. It's clear Mercedes management wanted to exclude the R230-231 type of buyer and attract a more "edgier" type of customer away from Porsche. Can't deny the fact that not many C63 coupe/convertible buyers were aspiring for an SL until maybe the 232. A GTC? Sure, but not an SL.
Old 03-16-2023, 09:09 PM

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
'16 SL550, '18 Porsche Macan GTS
The R232 does not look like a success to me. Since my ‘13 SL was totaled earlier this week, I’ve spent hours on different sites looking at an endless sea of new SL’s on dealers lots. A dealer in Plano, TX shows having 100, yes 100 new SL’s available. Another in CA shows 25+. This can hardly indicate a successful launch. Sadly none at either dealer match the specs that I want so I’ll keep searching. I’m likely buying a ‘16 SL as an interim car, which just so happens to qualify for the new $10,000 Conquest program.

Test drove a ‘21 911 C2 cab today, and although it’s nice, it’s no SL in my opinion. At 68 years old, I appreciate the much more luxurious ride that an SL provides. 30 years ago I would have opted the the Porsche.
The following 2 users liked this post by SteveL1:
places (03-17-2023), Streamliner (03-17-2023)
Old 03-16-2023, 09:57 PM

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by SteveL1
The R232 does not look like a success to me. Since my ‘13 SL was totaled earlier this week, I’ve spent hours on different sites looking at an endless sea of new SL’s on dealers lots. A dealer in Plano, TX shows having 100, yes 100 new SL’s available. Another in CA shows 25+. This can hardly indicate a successful launch. Sadly none at either dealer match the specs that I want so I’ll keep searching. I’m likely buying a ‘16 SL as an interim car, which just so happens to qualify for the new $10,000 Conquest program.

Test drove a ‘21 911 C2 cab today, and although it’s nice, it’s no SL in my opinion. At 68 years old, I appreciate the much more luxurious ride that an SL provides. 30 years ago I would have opted the the Porsche.
I could hardly believe your statement about 100 new SLs for sale in Plano, TX.

I just went to the web site of MB of Plano- and it indeed shows 100 SLs for sale! That has to be some kind of mistake. Wow.

You’d really like the facelifted 2017+ SL. Plenty of nice ones around if you’d consider replacing your ‘13 with another R231. Sorry the accident happened.

Amazing that there are some new 853 AMG SLs around the country. When I visited this thread just a few weeks ago to check, there were some 450.

I like the new R232 so much that I just bought my second 2017 AMG SL63 a few days ago

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-17-2023 at 07:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Streamliner (03-17-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:42 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
2023 S Class 2013 SL
Sure enough, there are so many in Plano that the site looks like a bag of jelly beans with all the colors. Good grief, a 100! I thought only the factory or port would have a hundred but my gosh?!
Old 03-17-2023, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Originally Posted by docsout
Sure enough, there are so many in Plano that the site looks like a bag of jelly beans with all the colors. Good grief, a 100! I thought only the factory or port would have a hundred but my gosh?!
Of the 100 only about 10 had photos. They also list over 300 EQS's, but something about it seems weird. Consider that even the largest MB dealer in the country Fletcher Jones, only has about 20.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
The second best selling sports car in Germany now comes with 10K in conquest money for the US market. As for the reasons, no need to repeat what everyone knows. Personally I don't mind the car if they could get the tech right and make it all work instead of having to be a contortionist with the key so the battery doesn't drain or some nonsense. Also, any Mercedes for this price should not be having reliability issues. One should buy with confidence.
Old 03-17-2023, 10:19 AM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by places
The second best selling sports car in Germany now comes with 10K in conquest money for the US market. As for the reasons, no need to repeat what everyone knows. Personally I don't mind the car if they could get the tech right and make it all work instead of having to be a contortionist with the key so the battery doesn't drain or some nonsense. Also, any Mercedes for this price should not be having reliability issues. One should buy with confidence.
Slightly off-topic- but could you discuss this Conquest money thing for a moment? I am unfamiliar with the terminology but upon a cursory internet search, it appears to be a manufacturer cash incentive. Is that correct? Is there a way for the consumer to research how much cash incentive is out there from a given automaker for a given model? If not, how do you now about this $10k inventive?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:24 AM
wem

Received 199 Likes on 112 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
@348SStb I posted this on the Conquest $$$ thread. The link contains all of the terms and conditions for the 2022 SL Conquest dollars program. I received the information in an email that my dealer sent to me yesterday.

https://xmpiexes407.s3.amazonaws.com...tOe37MsFoZs%3D
Old 03-17-2023, 11:05 AM
wem

Originally Posted by js_cls
Of the 100 only about 10 had photos. They also list over 300 EQS's, but something about it seems weird. Consider that even the largest MB dealer in the country Fletcher Jones, only has about 20.
I agree that something doesn't seem right. Someone else posted that there were about 450 2022 SLs available for sale in the entire US. A single dealership with 100 of those vehicles seems strange. I'm not sure that in the short period of time that the SLs were on sale that a dealership could secure that many allocations. As a result of the vehicle shortage experienced by most dealers during the last 2 years, their sales model has changed to about 90% customer spec'd cars vs. customers buying from inventory. It makes more sense from a floor plan/financial standpoint to have their allocations filled with pre-sold cars. I can't imagine the thought process of a dealer holding that amount of unsold inventory (100 SLs and 300 EQSs).
Old 03-17-2023, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by wem
I agree that something doesn't seem right. Someone else posted that there were about 450 2022 SLs available for sale in the entire US. A single dealership with 100 of those vehicles seems strange. I'm not sure that in the short period of time that the SLs were on sale that a dealership could secure that many allocations. As a result of the vehicle shortage experienced by most dealers during the last 2 years, their sales model has changed to about 90% customer spec'd cars vs. customers buying from inventory. It makes more sense from a floor plan/financial standpoint to have their allocations filled with pre-sold cars. I can't imagine the thought process of a dealer holding that amount of unsold inventory (100 SLs and 300 EQSs).
A few weeks ago it was about 450. Now there appear to be 832 new SLs for sale.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:08 PM
wem

For me, I don't consider any of the SLs from the1970s to present (including the 232) a sports car. For me the appeal is that the SL is a car that stands out a bit from the crowd, whether due to its looks, the fact that it still has a V-8, the exhaust sound, and the technology. Although many on the forum seem to think it is overpriced, I for one think that the SL55 is a relative bargain for the amount of standard equipment that it has before checking off any of the boxes. In my Aston Martin, home link was even an option, and most of the high end cars only have 3 year warranties. For most owners of cars like Astons, Ferraris, Lamborghinis (and even Porsches), always keeping the car plugged into a battery tender is a given since the batteries go flat from lack of driving. My Maserati dealer had to replace my battery 3 times. It was covered under warranty solely because it was my daily driver and I put more than their minimum threshold of 4k miles/year on the car. My DB11 even had an external magnetic connector for the battery tender.

I have owned a number of convertibles over the years. I have never used the wind blockers. I don't find that they work and only spoil the lines of the car and block the visibility to the rear. Isn't the purpose of driving with the top down to enjoy the airflow? As far as problems with the car, these days all new cars are rolling computers. It is more important to me that the manufacturer works to come up with a fix and handles the issues appropriately. When the Porsche Taycan first came out, the forums were on fire with a plethora of issues including software, the 12V battery, cars dying on the highway, etc. To Porsches' credit after 2 1/2 years they not only addressed the issues, but provided a software update that brought the 2020-22 model year cars up to the functionality of the 2023 Taycans. Despite some of the growing pains as an early adopter, the Taycan was one of my favorite cars.

The first Mercedes that I ever owned was a SLK 320. I had so many problems with that car. 32 of the sensors on the hardtop convertible would go crazy whenever it was hot outside and the top would get stuck half way through the open/close cycle. Picture driving and then crawling the car to the side of the road with the top halfway closed. The trunk light assembly had issues keeping water out from the trunk. One of the car's computers was located in the trunk. The electrical problems were endless. I had a CLK Cabriolet that keep deploying the rollover protection bars. It would need to go back to the dealer every time to get the bars reset. I owned two E class sedans that also had issues. All of these MB cars were from years ago. So the quality issues are nothing new. The fact that I am coming back to the brand has a lot to say about the appeal of the new SL. Of course if this is another repeat of my past experience with MB, it will probably be my last.

Last edited by wem; 03-17-2023 at 01:11 PM.
drgek (03-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Streamliner
There are not very many “sports cars” available these days. Saying the 232 is the second best selling sports car in Germany isn’t that big of a deal and I believe it mostly has to do with the fact that it is a brand new car and that many folks want to be “the first kid on the block.” And even though it is the brand new, shiny toy of the moment, it STILL comes in second to the 911!

If shopping for a new rag top sports car, all one need do is ask for a demonstration of the rear wind screen. In the 232, one must struggle with this ugly, clumsy, REMOVABLE contraption, which takes room and gets all dusty in your garage. In the 911 Cabriolet—and in the R231’s I might add—you push a button and the screen magically appears, seemingly out of nowhere, no muss, no fuss. One company went the extra mile to do things perfectly, one cheaped out. I guess they didn’t want to put anymore stress on their already overwhelmed electrical system.

In my opinion, MB cut corners in the engineering of the 232’s and brought it to market before it was properly sorted. As I am having a similar experience with a 2022 S580, I have to wonder if too many of the “old guard” perfectionists at MB have retired and if the new, younger guys have any idea of what the 3-Pointed Star really stands for.

I also dislike the manual windscreen; actually the one thing that actually bugs me. Same as the BMW M8 cab. Just a dumb design... But to be fair, the 911 achieves the electric version but cutting half the backrest off the seat (vs the R232) and giving you this unsightly humpback on top the rear. Top down, that car is not my thing...

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-20-2023 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 04:47 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
GLE350
Originally Posted by wem
For me, I don't consider any of the SLs from the1970s to present (including the 232) a sports car. For me the appeal is that the SL is a car that stands out a bit from the crowd, whether due to its looks, the fact that it still has a V-8, the exhaust sound, and the technology. Although many on the forum seem to think it is overpriced, I for one think that the SL55 is a relative bargain for the amount of standard equipment that it has before checking off any of the boxes. In my Aston Martin, home link was even an option, and most of the high end cars only have 3 year warranties. For most owners of cars like Astons, Ferraris, Lamborghinis (and even Porsches), always keeping the car plugged into a battery tender is a given since the batteries go flat from lack of driving. My Maserati dealer had to replace my battery 3 times. It was covered under warranty solely because it was my daily driver and I put more than their minimum threshold of 4k miles/year on the car. My DB11 even had an external magnetic connector for the battery tender.

I have owned a number of convertibles over the years. I have never used the wind blockers. I don't find that they work and only spoil the lines of the car and block the visibility to the rear. Isn't the purpose of driving with the top down to enjoy the airflow? As far as problems with the car, these days all new cars are rolling computers. It is more important to me that the manufacturer works to come up with a fix and handles the issues appropriately. When the Porsche Taycan first came out, the forums were on fire with a plethora of issues including software, the 12V battery, cars dying on the highway, etc. To Porsches' credit after 2 1/2 years they not only addressed the issues, but provided a software update that brought the 2020-22 model year cars up to the functionality of the 2023 Taycans. Despite some of the growing pains as an early adopter, the Taycan was one of my favorite cars.

The first Mercedes that I ever owned was a SLK 320. I had so many problems with that car. 32 of the sensors on the hardtop convertible would go crazy whenever it was hot outside and the top would get stuck half way through the open/close cycle. Picture driving and then crawling the car to the side of the road with the top halfway closed. The trunk light assembly had issues keeping water out from the trunk. One of the car's computers was located in the trunk. The electrical problems were endless. I had a CLK Cabriolet that keep deploying the rollover protection bars. It would need to go back to the dealer every time to get the bars reset. I owned two E class sedans that also had issues. All of these MB cars were from years ago. So the quality issues are nothing new. The fact that I am coming back to the brand has a lot to say about the appeal of the new SL. Of course if this is another repeat of my past experience with MB, it will probably be my last.
The experience with my order has been lousy as well and I will punt if it sits in the port for any extended period of time because MB can’t figure out how to sell and deliver a car. Homologation my ***!,
Old 03-17-2023, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by wem

It’s funny- I was ridiculed time and again on these forums for calling the R231 AMG SL63 a sports car (which I maintain it is), and now people are calling this R232 a sports car without much comment.

The R232 is definitely not a sports car.

By definition, a sports car has to have a short wheelbase. At least with the R231, a debate could be had on the subject given the car’s small-ish size (182 inches long, 101” wheelbase, 3,826 lbs in lightest form).

Thanks for your thoughts in general. I do have to disagree with your comments on the wind deflector issue.

I think for most people, a wind deflector is essential for a proper convertible experience. Anyone who wants wind turbulence can forget the deflector and roll the windows down. But when I’m cruising at speeds of questionable legality on long straight highways for 1 hour+ during beautiful nighttime weather with my lady — night after night, week after week, month after month as that luxury exists in South Florida — it’s nice (and even essential) to have the open-top experience while not being pummeled by the wind roar and turbulence. And don’t forget — the SL is native to the autobahns of Germany where speed rules and speed limits do not. Convertibles aren’t just utilized on backroads or canyons at 25-50mph; and in the case of the SL, its primary function is a highway crusher. Without a wind deflector, it wouldn’t be an SL. For me the R231 is the best convertible experience of any convertible l ever precisely because rarely a blade of hair will move if windows are up and wind deflector is extended. I’ve driven that car in winter time 45 degrees on a sunny day — with neck scarf, heated seats, and heating ventilation, it can be done. But if 45-degree wind were thrashing my face and head, it couldn’t be done. Naturally there are more mild temperatures such as 55 and 65 where these attributes are more likely to be appreciated. The SL from 2009 onward has been an all-season convertible precisely because of its unique engineering as a convertible.

I can’t speak for the R232 on the wind deflector topic, but I would hope for the R232 that Mercedes prioritized that aspect of the convertible experience they way they did when they drew up the R231.

Last edited by 348SStb; 03-17-2023 at 05:25 PM.
Streamliner (03-18-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 06:26 PM

Received 448 Likes on 307 Posts
2020 GLC300 -2013 Sl550 - 1997 SL600
Originally Posted by Wolfman
giving you this unsightly humpback on top the rear. Top down
I think these designers graduated from the same school of design. Many cars are sporting that look….

Old 03-18-2023, 06:19 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
1996 Plymouth Neon
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I absolutely agree. We hear enough of that word most everywhere these days. And, as with most instances when the word is used, it is meaningless, at least in my humble opinion. If the member was referring to the term “rice burners,” a term first used to describe Japanese motorcycles back in the 1960’s and later extended to describe other vehicles produced by various Asian companies, he is a poster child for the term “snowflake,” describing someone who is way overly sensitive and probably in need of finding a “safe space.”
What you're describing is...a racial stereotype.

Looks like I interrupted your "safe space" and "triggered" you with my "woke" ideologies like "perpetuating racial stereotypes are bad." My sincere apologies, you precious little "snowflake."

The following 3 users liked this post by Okay, boomer:
BenjaminKohl (03-20-2023), Robb M. (03-20-2023), wem (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 06:21 PM

A wise man once told me “don’t feed the troll”
The following 2 users liked this post by crconsulting:
mkraft3003 (03-18-2023), Streamliner (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by wem
the new SL, many here might not like it, but it is time to evolve with the times.
I think the R232 will make a fine car once they update the battery management and a few other "firmware" changes. Cars have personalities, you either mesh with them or you don't. You vote with your hard earned dollars.
The following 2 users liked this post by crconsulting:
California John (03-20-2023), wem (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 07:06 PM
wem

Originally Posted by crconsulting
I think the R232 will make a fine car once they update the battery management and a few other "firmware" changes. Cars have personalities, you either mesh with them or you don't. You vote with your hard earned dollars.
I agree, I think despite the issues (many of which will eventually be resolved), the 232 will be a blast.

Last edited by wem; 03-18-2023 at 07:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by wem:
California John (03-20-2023), e350wagon1 (03-19-2023), Okay, boomer (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 08:22 PM
wem

Okay, going back to the original topic "Is the AMG SL [a] success story". As many of us who have actually purchased a new SL have noted and based on some of the bygone era thinking expressed here, MB seems to be targeting a new demographic.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I think these designers graduated from the same school of design. Many cars are sporting that look….

Looks like Ferrari is also transitioning to soft tops.
crconsulting (03-19-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by js_cls
Looks like Ferrari is also transitioning to soft tops.
Well It’s a convertible so we know how it should be driven, top down.
For me personally, the pano roof would be missed. The airy feeling it gives the the passenger compartment is nice. That being said, it adds another level of complexity, more cost and weight. From a service perspective, I’m sure mfgers. aren’t sad to phase it out.

But as I said earlier, it’s just part of a car’s “personality”. Neither is wrong, just different….
Old 03-19-2023, 08:05 PM

Well It’s a convertible so we know how it should be driven, top down.
For me personally, the pano roof would be missed. The airy feeling it gives the the passenger compartment is nice. That being said, it adds another level of complexity, more cost and weight. From a service perspective, I’m sure mfgers. aren’t sad to phase it out.

But as I said earlier, it’s just part of a car’s “personality”. Neither is wrong, just different….
The hardtop on the R231 is extremely lightweight and marginally heavier than a comparable soft top. Mercedes set a design goal for a very light weight vario roof, and they achieved it. I tried digging up the exact numbers but I cannot find them - but they were in the original press materials.

The structural advantages were deemed at the time well worth the trade off. Soft tops are fashionable now, but they’ll never provide the structural rigidity of a hardtop and they will also never allow for lateral visibility and they entry of daylight into the cabin from above.

Lastly — it’s kind of silly to be talking about the weight of a hard top on the R231 when the wonderful soft top of the R232 doesn’t prevent the car from weighing 200+ pounds more.
The following 2 users liked this post by 348SStb:
crconsulting (03-19-2023), places (03-20-2023)
Old 03-19-2023, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 348SStb
The hardtop on the R231 is extremely lightweight and marginally heavier than a comparable soft top. Mercedes set a design goal for a very light weight vario roof, and they achieved it. I tried digging up the exact numbers but I cannot find them - but they were in the original press materials.
It’s about 50lbs difference.
https://www.hagerty.com/media/new-ca...g-all-rounder/
when the wonderful soft top of the R232 doesn’t prevent the car from weighing 200+ pounds more.
It would then be 250+ pounds more with a hard top. 😉

But we are talking about cars in the 4000lb range

Last edited by crconsulting; 03-19-2023 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,343 Likes on 2,064 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe

The structural advantages were deemed at the time well worth the trade off. Soft tops are fashionable now, but they’ll never provide the structural rigidity of a hardtop and they will also never allow for lateral visibility and they entry of daylight into the cabin from above.

Lastly — it’s kind of silly to be talking about the weight of a hard top on the R231 when the wonderful soft top of the R232 doesn’t prevent the car from weighing 200+ pounds more.
There is really very little structural rigidity added with the hardtop, if any. The torsional strength is in the body structure although it made the convertible into a coupe and we loved having the magic sky. The ability to survive a roll-over event at speed is relying solely on the strength of the A-pillar and the pop-up posts by the windscreen.
More important is the weight distribution on top of the car rather than the bottom like EV's raising the center of gravity. One of the main reasons for a soft top on a sports car (and it is a sports car)
California John (03-20-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: Is the AMG SL success story?