SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 04:17 AM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Just have no interest in tall cars unless Off-road. They don’t look anywhere as good as sedans, coupes or roadsters and have inferior drive dynamics.
Originally Posted by js_cls
.... but a wagon would definitely do the job all while looking and driving better.
When comparing with sedans, coupes, roadsters and wagons, SUVs do sit taller.
Putting the drive dynamics, people/goods hauling...etc aside, one often heard pro-SUV argument is that ''with SUVs' taller height, the driver has better visibility and surrounding awareness, thus it is safer. And similarly, the taller height gives an advantage in an accident with sedans or wagons''.
What do you guys think? Do you buy this or not?
Old 04-20-2023, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,181 Likes on 1,983 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by js_cls
You still have the GLE wolf? I thought you got rid of it due to low milage? I will say, while SUV’s are definitely not my cup of tea, the GLE is a nice compliment to a GT and M8. I do miss seeing Emerald Green in my driveway.

I do find having one SUV in the garage is nice for the occasional Ikea or Home Depot runs, as well as the dogs, but a wagon would definitely do the job all while looking and driving better. Sadly only the A4 Allroad is available in the compact class and I was unable to convince the wife of it over the GV70. Thankfully the wife doesn’t mind SUV’s at least so I can stay low to the ground.
EDIT: We had leased the GLE and it was too cheap to NOT keep it, given the low mileage. I think it was 7600 miles or so in three years which feels low for a utilitarian truck. Re. station wagons, I tried to talk my wife into trying one (even the E63s or RS6) but that was a hard no unless I would be the only one driving it

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-20-2023 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:24 AM
wem

Received 182 Likes on 102 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
Originally Posted by Wolfman
We had leased the GLE and it was too cheap to keep it, given the low mileage. I think it was 7600 miles or so in three years which feels low for a utilitarian truck. Re. station wagons, I tried to talk my wife into trying one (even the E63s or RS6) but that was a hard no unless I would be the only one driving it
Your wife and mine must be related. When we first met, she made it clear no station wagons and no minivans.
The following users liked this post:
Wolfman (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 11:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 60 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2021 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by wem
Your wife and mine must be related. When we first met, she made it clear no station wagons and no minivans.
You're a youngster. Minivans didn't exist when I met my wife.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:27 AM
wem

Received 182 Likes on 102 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
Originally Posted by drgek
You're a youngster. Minivans didn't exist when I met my wife.
Better yet my wife is the young one.😉
drgek (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,181 Likes on 1,983 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by bishop64
When comparing with sedans, coupes, roadsters and wagons, SUVs do sit taller.
Putting the drive dynamics, people/goods hauling...etc aside, one often heard pro-SUV argument is that ''with SUVs' taller height, the driver has better visibility and surrounding awareness, thus it is safer. And similarly, the taller height gives an advantage in an accident with sedans or wagons''.
What do you guys think? Do you buy this or not?
When learning to drive in Germany it was taught to look far ahead in traffic rather than focusing just onto the few cars in front of you. Without a speed limit, that was essential to anticipate upcoming situations. Situational awareness comes from paying attention of everything around you and sitting taller has no additional benefit, at least to me.
As for SUV's being safer, there is data supporting multiple points of view. Bigger, heavier vehicles have the upper hand, but also those with low center of gravity. I do believe that you can avoid accidents much better with a lower car than a taller one and good vehicles safety systems are essential for avoidance and survival.
That's why we drive German cars
Drone_S213 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 01:24 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by alexasa
your entire premise makes even less sense when you have another car. There is no reason not to run summers if that's the case. The only merit for all seasons is if this is your dedicated daily. (Which is rare for owners of a car like this in the first place but does happen.)
I don't think so. Spring/fall has plenty of days/evenings in the 40-50F range no matter where you are in the country, wet or dry...maybe even top down. And in the southern half of the country all the way through winter. And I do not think it is "rare" for these to be driven daily.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 528 Posts
c
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I don't think so. Spring/fall has plenty of days/evenings in the 40-50F range no matter where you are in the country, wet or dry...maybe even top down. And in the southern half of the country all the way through winter. And I do not think it is "rare" for these to be driven daily.
summers are better above 40 degrees. I am saying it is rare to ONLY have an SL - not to daily one.

anyways, plenty of data here for people to make their own mind up.
Old 04-20-2023, 07:28 PM

Not according to Tire Rack...see post #16. But, yes, people can do whatever they want.
Old 04-20-2023, 09:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I suspect his great results are:
- no need for two sets of rims and tires
- can drive the cars c43 and e53 in the snow without changing wheel sets
- the way he drives doesn't push the cars to the limits to apparently necessitate all summers or all winters in his opinion
- all seasons lasted longer than winter or summer tires
- this was a less expensive route than carrying two sets of wheels/tires and storage and paying to swap them seasonally

Yes, exactly!
Old 04-21-2023, 07:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
The 'all-seasons are good for no seasons' line is antiquated. High-performance all-seasons are extremely capable.

Summer tires are a poor choice for most people, and are arguably the "inferior" tire for the way almost everybody uses thier cars. Softer tread compound and stiffer sidewalls result in much faster tire wear and stiffer ride, and grip is severely compromised if below 50F or wet. Generally noiser, too. 99% of drivers do not push their cars anywhere near the limits that a high-performance all-season provide, let alone a dedicated summer tire (nor should they on public roads).

Dedicated snow tires are great for snow, but terrible in dry and worse than all-seasons in wet.

Summer tires do provide great test numbers on a dry track for car magazines, which is why they are fitted by Mercedes-AMG.
I generally agree but I actually read that in some occasions, summer tires perform better than all seasons in wet as long as it is warm, but unknown what occasions are those, thoughts on that anyone?
Old 04-21-2023, 01:46 PM

According to Tire Rack, summer tires start to lose grip below 50F. Link in post #16.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:01 PM

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...r-TTW-2018.pdf

According to Tire Rack, summer tires start to lose grip below 50F. Link in post #16.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:18 PM

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
2021 Glb35 AMG (2013 GLK 350)
It depends on tires. UHP tires in all categories incl winters are performing better than others in wet conditions. I summarized the stopping distances in feet per mph from tirerack tests (though different temps might change the results btw different days and also different tire sizes has some impact) using the same car tests:

Michelin Alpin 5 UHP winters are closer to A/S UHP tires in wet, and beats Michelin summer and other A/S tires in stopping distance which is more important to me than lap speeds. Alpin 5 saved me from an accident last year when a van pulled in front of me instead of waiting on the non-moving exit lane on a rainy day...

Per Federal Hwy: "Most weather-related crashes occur on wet pavement and during rainfall. Each year, 75 percent of weather-related vehicle crashes occur on wet pavement and 47 percent happen during rainfall."
https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/wea...ent%20annually.

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I generally agree but I actually read that in some occasions, summer tires perform better than all seasons in wet as long as it is warm, but unknown what occasions are those, thoughts on that anyone?
High-performance all-seasons are extremely capable.

Dedicated snow tires are great for snow, but terrible in dry and worse than all-seasons in wet.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 528 Posts
c
I've ran a couple of sets of the continental extremecontact sports here in Florida - they are a great tire in the conditions we see regularly here.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,935 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823
Originally Posted by Serhan
It depends on tires. UHP tires in all categories incl winters are performing better than others in wet conditions. I summarized the stopping distances in feet per mph from tirerack tests (though different temps might change the results btw different days and also different tire sizes has some impact) using the same car tests:

Michelin Alpin 5 UHP winters are closer to A/S UHP tires in wet, and beats Michelin summer and other A/S tires in stopping distance which is more important to me than lap speeds. Alpin 5 saved me from an accident last year when a van pulled in front of me instead of waiting on the non-moving exit lane on a rainy day...

Per Federal Hwy: "Most weather-related crashes occur on wet pavement and during rainfall. Each year, 75 percent of weather-related vehicle crashes occur on wet pavement and 47 percent happen during rainfall."
https://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/weather/wea...ent%20annually.
I see, thanks for the data point.
Old 03-17-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55 AMG, BMW X5
2022 SL 55 AMG with 21". Mine showin 0 PSI on front passenger as I found a screw. Not next to it now and can't find on site/manual, are these run flats? Thanks!