SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Shake Rattle and Roll

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 11:10 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 Audi RS6 Avant. 2022 AMG SL63
Shake Rattle and Roll

Well yesterday had my SL63 out in NJ weather was nice, I only have 300 miles so really can't get on it, but what I did find was how many rattles and how shaky this vehicle is over any uneven surface. I can't pin point where all there rattles are coming from but I was very upset that the more I drive this, the more I see the flaws, should not be in a $200k vehicle. Yes I love the way it looks I can't say anything negative about that, it's always a treat to look at but I expect way more than that at this price point. The doors are are a joke, windows rattle inside the door frame, come on, door handles are really finicky, I could bring this in to the dealer with a list of issues, this isn't a battery issue this is a quality control issue. I'm so torn with this vehicle, on one hand it's my dream car but I'm disappointed, it certainly does not live up to the hype nor do all the videos I watched talk about the QC issues. I can't even sell it because of the recall. I want to love this vehicle but after driving another vehicle that's 50K less MB should be ashamed that they released this vehicle before it was ready. I don't know what I will do but I feel let down by MB. Just my 2 cents

BTW on SMOOTH roads it is much better ONLY IN COMFORT MODE.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,765 Likes on 2,150 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Fastcars1969
Well yesterday had my SL63 out in NJ weather was nice, I only have 300 miles so really can't get on it, but what I did find was how many rattles and how shaky this vehicle is over any uneven surface. I can't pin point where all there rattles are coming from but I was very upset that the more I drive this, the more I see the flaws, should not be in a $200k vehicle. Yes I love the way it looks I can't say anything negative about that, it's always a treat to look at but I expect way more than that at this price point. The doors are are a joke, windows rattle inside the door frame, come on, door handles are really finicky, I could bring this in to the dealer with a list of issues, this isn't a battery issue this is a quality control issue. I'm so torn with this vehicle, on one hand it's my dream car but I'm disappointed, it certainly does not live up to the hype nor do all the videos I watched talk about the QC issues. I can't even sell it because of the recall. I want to love this vehicle but after driving another vehicle that's 50K less MB should be ashamed that they released this vehicle before it was ready. I don't know what I will do but I feel let down by MB. Just my 2 cents

AND, it’s not just the current SL’s! Check out other forums for new models launched for the 2021 model year & later and you will find similar issues.

I felt much the same about my 2022 S580 sedan. It was a “second year” model and one would have thought that most—if not all—of the issues plaguing the 2021 models would have been resolved. But here we are, with the 2024 models out and virtually ALL of the same issues are still present. The ridiculous door handles, poor ride quality, rattles, MBUX constantly losing your settings, sloppy shifting transmissions, crummy haptic controls and then the horrendous battery issues.

I’ve had 17 brand new MB’s, including my last eight new ones, but my next new car will be by another maker. I believe that MB is currently in a quality/design/reliability MELTDOWN. The dealers are so overwhelmed with customer problems that the service departments are in “triage” mode, just trying to get cars out the door, paying only “lip service” to issues that do not keep the cars from running. Trying to be everything to everyone, with SO many model variants, not to mention Sprinter & Metris vans, with most dealers working out of facilities that have been the same size for decades, coupled with overwhelming new technology that few “techs” can master is finally coming home to roost. Just my opinion, of course, but an opinion based on experience.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:46 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
SLS
@Fastcars1969 make sure to have the correct tire pressures…. There are two places shown on the car door jamb and fuel door…..you need to use the lower pressure setting which by memory is 31 lbs shown in the fuel door…..most likely your car is set at the higher pressures shown makes a huge difference….there has been much talk about this…..I believe the higher pressure is given to achieve max fuel economy and for use on autobahn at over 150 mph and max load/passengers
Old 03-02-2024, 01:47 PM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Fastcars1969

Just a random consideration:

My car was somewhat problematic over poor pavement until I took it in for annual service and software updates, The dealer (NOT where I purchased the car) found that on delivery transport plugs in the suspension had not been removed as they were supposed to be. After they did that the ride improved SIGNIFICANTLY. Sorry you have all these issues; maybe I am fortunate but I don't have them in my SL55.
The following users liked this post:
California John (03-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 09:54 AM

Received 189 Likes on 101 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
I really think this may be the issue in " Fastcars1969" situation. My experience has been the extreme opposite. We live half the year in Washington DC,home to probably the worst maintained roads in the nation and the SL does a fabulous job - both in terms of suspension but also really rattle free. So, this is really worth looking into,.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:55 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2024 Audi RS6 Avant. 2022 AMG SL63
That is a possibility, but there have been more and more area's that are not just with my vehicle. your vehicle may not have any issues but if you look at this forum I'm certainly not alone. My issues may be isolated to my particular vehicle but I doubt it. we tend to put up with certain aspects with this vehicle, how many time can you take your vehicle to the dealer for minor but annoying issues, I'm just disappointed that the QC on this vehicle hasn't been great, at least on the 2022. if they can't resolve these issues then I will probably trade it if I can. I'm not giving up on the SL at least not yet.
Old 03-17-2024, 03:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,839 Likes on 2,418 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by mr.rpm
@Fastcars1969 make sure to have the correct tire pressures…. There are two places shown on the car door jamb and fuel door…..you need to use the lower pressure setting which by memory is 31 lbs shown in the fuel door…..most likely your car is set at the higher pressures shown makes a huge difference….there has been much talk about this…..I believe the higher pressure is given to achieve max fuel economy and for use on autobahn at over 150 mph and max load/passengers
Speaking of tire pressures, I wonder if the tire pressures were checked when tires are cold and what size wheels OP has, the SL doesn't come with run-flats right? If so run-flats also contribute to the harshness, is AMG Ride Control standard on the R232?
Old 03-18-2024, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R232 SL63
I have the same issue which is the reason I joined this forum. I'm based in Australia and drove a 2017 E220d All Terrain Wagon prior to this SL The E220d was so smooth and I had an expectation that the SL would be better in quality. But I am afraid it's not.

The initial problem I had was a clunk in the suspension which turned out to be the suspension being tighted too tight. Fix was loosing then re-torquing. That disappeared instantly. There are various other issues which are hard to describe other than saying it doesn't feel right. Last night in sports+ pulling away from an intersection the car "bunny hopped" as it it couldn't work out what gear to be in. I'm based in Australia and the car is a daily driver. I've got 3600km on the clock.
Old 03-19-2024, 05:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by afrith
I have the same issue which is the reason I joined this forum. I'm based in Australia and drove a 2017 E220d All Terrain Wagon prior to this SL The E220d was so smooth and I had an expectation that the SL would be better in quality. But I am afraid it's not.

The initial problem I had was a clunk in the suspension which turned out to be the suspension being tighted too tight. Fix was loosing then re-torquing. That disappeared instantly. There are various other issues which are hard to describe other than saying it doesn't feel right. Last night in sports+ pulling away from an intersection the car "bunny hopped" as it it couldn't work out what gear to be in. I'm based in Australia and the car is a daily driver. I've got 3600km on the clock.
That's a very common behaviour for the W205 C 43 as well, https://mbworld.org/forums/c450-c43-...ix-others.html

I am surprised MB decided it was a good idea on the R232 SL to have that behaviour. That said, the argument (not mine) towards the C 43 folks is people just don't how to drive.
The following users liked this post:
afrith (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R232 SL63
Thank you that is (sort of) reassuring that I'm not retarded. That link was my exact scenario.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by afrith
Thank you that is (sort of) reassuring that I'm not retarded. That link was my exact scenario.
Yup I was just surprised you still get that type of experience in 2024 for a known thing back in 2017 etc. Surprised MB decided to keep it that way.