SL/R232: All Season Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55
All Season Tires

Hello,
Anyone know of a matching set of all season tires that will fit the 21 inch wheel option? I’ve tried all the normal sources with no results. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2023, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 348 Likes on 197 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Are you looking for 305/30 ZR Pilot Sport 4s for the front and 275/35 rears? Purchase from a tire store?
Old 04-16-2023, 04:35 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by California John
Are you looking for 305/30 ZR Pilot Sport 4s for the front and 275/35 rears? Purchase from a tire store?
No, those tires are classified as Summer. I’m looking for an all season tire.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:20 PM

Received 179 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
I just took a look at the definition and pro's and con's.

They produce less grip in summer, can only perform winter duties in very light winter conditions and wear down quicker, thus a shorter life.

Why do you prefer them? Just curious.
Old 04-16-2023, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,181 Likes on 1,983 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by jjj benz
No, those tires are classified as Summer. I’m looking for an all season tire.
Why would you want an inferior tire on a high performance car? If you need to drive in cold weather during winter, dedicated snows would be better...
The following users liked this post:
California John (04-17-2023)
Old 04-16-2023, 08:07 PM

SL55
I switched for all seasons on my past 2 cars- C43 and E53 with great results.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jjj benz
I switched for all seasons on my past 2 cars- C43 and E53 with great results.
Could you elaborate on what kind of results you like to achieve?
An all season tire just can’t compete with a summer high/ultra performance tire in grip and handling. Or against a snow tire in winter.

The SL55 has more power and torque and a firmer suspension than your prior cars. It might not yield the results you are seeking, provided there is a proper fitment.
Old 04-16-2023, 11:49 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,341 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
I suspect his great results are:
- no need for two sets of rims and tires
- can drive the cars c43 and e53 in the snow without changing wheel sets
- the way he drives doesn't push the cars to the limits to apparently necessitate all summers or all winters in his opinion
- all seasons lasted longer than winter or summer tires
- this was a less expensive route than carrying two sets of wheels/tires and storage and paying to swap them seasonally

Old 04-17-2023, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 655 Likes on 486 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
over all for most tire brands: all seasons tend to be better in the rain - which matters depending on where you live.
Old 04-17-2023, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

A lot depends on where you live. My example was the one of our E63s; Michelin PS4s for summers, Pirelli Sottozeros for the winter. Perfect setup for weather here in Mpls. Our Pirelli snows lasted less than 7k miles which was disappointing for a $2+k set and slowish winter driving. Tried to be cheap and swapped them for DWS 6+ all seasons to cover a couple of months of cold weather remaining. We had them on the S-Class and liked them just fine over the Pirelli run flats.

That said, this turned out to be very crappy experience. Lousy handling, traction issues and overall a somewhat wobbly drive. Checked everything on the car but tires were correct and all else was good.We kept them for a 1000 miles and put the PS4s' back on. World of difference.
Was a surprising letdown that I attributed to the tires not being a good fit for the stiffer Airmatic+ suspension or perhaps the torque in anything but ECO mode.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-17-2023 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:05 PM

Received 259 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
I just took a look at the definition and pro's and con's.

They produce less grip in summer, can only perform winter duties in very light winter conditions and wear down quicker, thus a shorter life.

Why do you prefer them? Just curious.
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Why would you want an inferior tire on a high performance car? If you need to drive in cold weather during winter, dedicated snows would be better...
The 'all-seasons are good for no seasons' line is antiquated. High-performance all-seasons are extremely capable.

Summer tires are a poor choice for most people, and are arguably the "inferior" tire for the way almost everybody uses thier cars. Softer tread compound and stiffer sidewalls result in much faster tire wear and stiffer ride, and grip is severely compromised if below 50F or wet. Generally noiser, too. 99% of drivers do not push their cars anywhere near the limits that a high-performance all-season provide, let alone a dedicated summer tire (nor should they on public roads).

Dedicated snow tires are great for snow, but terrible in dry and worse than all-seasons in wet.

Summer tires do provide great test numbers on a dry track for car magazines, which is why they are fitted by Mercedes-AMG.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
JohnGigi (04-19-2023), mmmamg (04-17-2023)
Old 04-17-2023, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The 'all-seasons are good for no seasons' line is antiquated. High-performance all-seasons are extremely capable.

Summer tires are a poor choice for most people, and are arguably the "inferior" tire for the way almost everybody uses thier cars. Softer tread compound and stiffer sidewalls result in much faster tire wear and stiffer ride, and grip is severely compromised if below 50F or wet. Generally noiser, too. 99% of drivers do not push their cars anywhere near the limits that a high-performance all-season provide, let alone a dedicated summer tire (nor should they on public roads).

Dedicated snow tires are great for snow, but terrible in dry and worse than all-seasons in wet.

Summer tires do provide great test numbers on a dry track for car magazines, which is why they are fitted by Mercedes-AMG.
Interesting general statement; it may match your preferences. It does not match my experience at all, at least where we live.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 670 Likes on 528 Posts
c

Comparing most popular tires in their respective categories from the same manufacturer

Both tires were very close in aquaplaning with ExtremeContact Sport being slightly ahead with a slip speed of 68.5 km/h in comparison to the 67.5 km/h slip speed of DWS 06 PLUS. Overall in the wet category, ExtremeContact Sport due to its summer first focus has clearly the upper hand with good performances in all wet test.
source: https://toptirereview.com/continenta...s-06-plus/#Wet

UHP’s larger tread elements create a larger contact patch for more precise steering feel and better grip in the dry. They also have large channels around the tire to help evacuate water and reduce hydroplaning. Some UHP tires are better in wet conditions than an all-season tire because they have less tread depth and are able to evacuate the water better.
source: https://tractionlife.com/summer-tire...ance.%E2%80%9D

​​​​​​​There’s only one season when an all-season tire out-performs an otherwise equal summer tire: Winter. And not all of Winter.
source: https://www.tirereview.com/weighing-...son-uhp-tires/
Old 04-17-2023, 09:39 PM

Believe what you want. My opinion:

Their findings make no sense; Continental did not develop an all-season tire to be outperformed in the wet by a summer tire. It's like saying the SL63 was outperformed by a GLC300 on a handling course. It's theoretically possible, but not representative, so I question the testing procedure.

I give zero credibility to anybody that makes this statement: "Some UHP tires are better in wet conditions than an all-season tire because they have less tread depth and are able to evacuate the water better."

This is a far better comparison, and using better tires (Michelin):

Old 04-17-2023, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Believe what you want. My opinion:

Their findings make no sense; Continental did not develop an all-season tire to be outperformed in the wet by a summer tire. It's like saying the SL63 was outperformed by a GLC300 on a handling course. It's theoretically possible, but not representative, so I question the testing procedure.

I give zero credibility to anybody that makes this statement: "Some UHP tires are better in wet conditions than an all-season tire because they have less tread depth and are able to evacuate the water better."

This is a far better comparison, and using better tires (Michelin):

https://youtu.be/421HkK4Nqss
Even your own data shows a faster lap time? Albeit at the sacrifice of 1% braking performance.

Old 04-18-2023, 02:37 AM

He commented…and it’s in the fine print…that it was a relatively warm day for wet testing. Had it been in the 40-50F range the A/S 4 would have been in its element. His takeaway from the test was the PS4S and A/S 4 are very close in the (relatively warm) wet and dry (+/- 1-2%; much closer than the test in your link), but the A/S 4 also did impressively well in snow. My initial post was in response to those that consider an A/S tire “inferior”. I stand by my statement that, for most people, a summer tire is arguably inferior to a high-performance all-season.

From tirerack.com:

Summer performance tires feature tread rubber compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot temperatures only. As temperatures drop into the 40s, a summer performance tire's tread compound changes from a pliable elastic to an inflexible plastic, drastically reducing traction capabilities.

https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...d-temperatures
Old 04-18-2023, 04:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 655 Likes on 486 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Tires are kinda like ice cream
We all like different flavors.
AKSwift (05-10-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 01:51 PM

Received 179 Likes on 96 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
He commented…and it’s in the fine print…that it was a relatively warm day for wet testing. Had it been in the 40-50F range the A/S 4 would have been in its element. His takeaway from the test was the PS4S and A/S 4 are very close in the (relatively warm) wet and dry (+/- 1-2%; much closer than the test in your link), but the A/S 4 also did impressively well in snow. My initial post was in response to those that consider an A/S tire “inferior”. I stand by my statement that, for most people, a summer tire is arguably inferior to a high-performance all-season.

From tirerack.com:

Summer performance tires feature tread rubber compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot temperatures only. As temperatures drop into the 40s, a summer performance tire's tread compound changes from a pliable elastic to an inflexible plastic, drastically reducing traction capabilities.

It is a curious thing though that zero All Season Performance tires are available for the SL. I went on Tirerack and the only ones I could find were high performance summer tires - so for the time being this is a purely intellectual conversation.
Alan Smithee (04-18-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

From tirerack.com:

I appreciate that we all have our opinions but I can't agree with your statement. Better performing tires don't become inferior because you need two sets; it makes it less convenient and more expensive. Location is also critical, of course.
The YouTube video posted said the same thing, better wet traction with the summer tire over the all season. That summer tires don't work in cold weather is implied by its name and that snow tires work better during the winter (when there is snow, also implied by its name) was also clear.

More important for me is that my experience matched that. Don't need reviews for that.
Chances are that DWS 6+ are likely inferior to the Michelin products (which I prefer but weren't available in the size we needed), but the all-seasons haven't been able to match our needs and having 2 sets were the clear choice for us.

Which brings me to the biggest issue we have faced over the last year or so. Finding the tires we need. Either manufacturers decide to drop certain sizes/widths, never even make them (like the all-seasons for the SL) or they are perpetually out of stock/backordered.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:55 PM

^ My comments are based on this being the R232 forum. For those in extreme northern climates, I expect once ice and snow are on the ground, buyers of $200k roadsters pull another vehicle out of the garage. Sounds like you fit into that category. For use in all other conditions, and for those in more moderate climates, I still stand behind my statement that for most people summer tires are inferior to high-performance all-seasons (if/when they are available).
Old 04-19-2023, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

^ My comments are based on this being the R232 forum. For those in extreme northern climates, I expect once ice and snow are on the ground, buyers of $200k roadsters pull another vehicle out of the garage. Sounds like you fit into that category. For use in all other conditions, and for those in more moderate climates, I still stand behind my statement that for most people summer tires are inferior to high-performance all-seasons (if/when they are available).
Our GTC stays in the garage for 6 months a year due to weather but our prior SL's were used throughout the year. I truly dislike SUV's and avoid them as much as I can... Dedicated snows are a requirement on RWD, less so on AWD but we drive enough I snow to know how inferior all seasons are.

Last edited by Wolfman; 04-20-2023 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
your entire premise makes even less sense when you have another car. There is no reason not to run summers if that's the case. The only merit for all seasons is if this is your dedicated daily. (Which is rare for owners of a car like this in the first place but does happen.)
Old 04-20-2023, 12:58 AM

Received 395 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
...I truly dislike SUV's and avoid them as much as I can...
May I ask, why do you dislike SUV's?
What are the particulars of SUV's in general that keep you away?
Old 04-20-2023, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bishop64
May I ask, why do you dislike SUV's?
What are the particulars of SUV's in general that keep you away?
Just have no interest in tall cars unless Off-road. They don’t look anywhere as good as sedans, coupes or roadsters and have inferior drive dynamics.

We have no need to lug around lots of people or stuff and that is the only purpose they serve IMO.
Don’t get me wrong, we have an SUV but only for business to run the occasional errand.

Old 04-20-2023, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,579 Likes on 977 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
Just have no interest in tall cars unless Off-road. They don’t look anywhere as good as sedans, coupes or roadsters and have inferior drive dynamics.

We have no need to lug around lots of people or stuff and that is the only purpose they serve IMO.
Don’t get me wrong, we have an SUV but only for business to run the occasional errand.
You still have the GLE wolf? I thought you got rid of it due to low milage? I will say, while SUV’s are definitely not my cup of tea, the GLE is a nice compliment to a GT and M8. I do miss seeing Emerald Green in my driveway.

I do find having one SUV in the garage is nice for the occasional Ikea or Home Depot runs, as well as the dogs, but a wagon would definitely do the job all while looking and driving better. Sadly only the A4 Allroad is available in the compact class and I was unable to convince the wife of it over the GV70. Thankfully the wife doesn’t mind SUV’s at least so I can stay low to the ground.

Last edited by js_cls; 04-20-2023 at 02:36 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL/R232: All Season Tires