SL/R232: Buying an SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maserati Grancabrio
Buying an SL55

Hi all,

Apologies for what I realize may be a stupid question. I've been looking at the new AMG SL55s, and they seem like pretty great cars. But there also seems to be a very large number of very low mileage used SLs for sale, in both the 55 and 63. Given the relatively short period of time they have been on sale, I'm a little concerned that so many people have decided to sell them on already. Both for what it says about my potential enjoyment (or lack thereof) of the car and for resale value.

I've owned a number of somewhat similar cars in the past (older SL550, 911 Carrera 4 cab, Maserati Grancabrio), so I'd like to think I'm reasonably attuned to what's good or bad in these, and the SL doesn't seem like a bad car. If anyone can enlighten me on what's going on here, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
They are likely dealer demo's that have been driven to get milage to make them more appealing on the market. A large influx of MY22's were late to market and were for sale in many areas in which convertible season was over and with the price being high weren't as sought after.

Take the car for a drive and see if you like it, many ex-AMG GT and Porsche 911 owners are on the R232 forum and enjoy their cars greatly for many reasons. I myself am looking at a used one in the future primarily to take advantage of the depreciation.
The following users liked this post:
California John (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,826 Likes on 2,557 Posts
2019 C63CS
There are always people who buy cars at this level just to flip them and get something else. So you never really know. Happens with other cars at these levels, too. When it comes to the new SL, though, it is a departure from the old one, and some people who owned the previous SL might have found themselves being disappointed by the inevitable higher NVH of an AMG. An AMG is not for everyone. Those who owned an SL for its softer more luxurious character before likely find themselves disappointed with the new one.

From what's being reported, the SL isn't exactly selling well. Sounds like they are already highly discounted to move them, even advertised on the show floor with negative market adjustment. MB/AMG may have overestimated the desire for a more performance focused SL. Doesn't mean it's a bad car, but being already a niche, it has gone even more niche.
The following users liked this post:
California John (08-07-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 07:55 PM

Received 80 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
I absolutely love my 2023 AMG SL55 and have had no problems with it. In short, I find it to be a stunning car that can perform as a comfortable high tech GT cruiser in comfort mode OR a throaty sports car in sport mode. I accept that it will not hold its value as well as some other cars (ie, 911). You can find some low prices on used 2022's but that was launch year and some with 2022's have reported nagging electrical issues.
Old 08-07-2023, 08:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
2022 SL 63
I've done a quite a bit of market research and here are a few things I'd guess would cause the resales. I will say, I and the few other owners I've known have had a good time with our SLs. Sure there are a few quirks, but nothing serious. Personally, my SLs wing has locked in place twice in my 2 months of ownership. I just need to restart the car and it works again, but that seems to be the quirk with my cars electronics.

Now as for reasons for resales

1) Price + Interest Rate + Economy. This car isn't cheap, especially if you finance. There's an SL I saw in my city during F1 weekend. A week later, it was for sale...at a MAZDA dealership. To me, this just means someone couldn't afford it anymore and had to trade in for a Mazda. People are getting laid off, bankrupt and etc. This is a hard car to keep $ wise if you get unlucky or already could borderline afford it.
2) Underoptioning. Unfortunetly, you can 100% underoption the car. Most cars I've seen on sale used are criminally underoptioned. Gloss rims, some **** aluminium trim, etc. You get the option for amazing wheels, carbon fiber, functional aero package, etc, but some people decided to skip it. I'd easily see people regretting their purchase or trading for a more optioned model
3) Depreciation scare. Lot's of people bought this car for top dollar, when it really should've never been. If you bought this car with under 10% discount you had a bad deal, unless it's a really unique spec (like white interior on black exterior + carbon wheel). I bought mine for 25% off. Although you should never buy a car expecting a good resale, I guess those that did must be ****ting themselves seeing the market value steadily decrease
4) Extra cost. This is no joke. In my two months of ownership I've invested close to 20k into the car... Mandatory PPF? 6k or more, Mandatory Prepaid Maintenance? 4k, Winter wheel kit? 6k, Rim Insurrance?.... the list goes on. Oh and lets not forget gas. I spend 50% more on gaz than my CLA 45. So once again, if you could barely afford this cars monthly payment + downpayment, you are pretty much ****ed.

Old 08-07-2023, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by kcirm
I've done a quite a bit of market research and here are a few things I'd guess would cause the resales. I will say, I and the few other owners I've known have had a good time with our SLs. Sure there are a few quirks, but nothing serious. Personally, my SLs wing has locked in place twice in my 2 months of ownership. I just need to restart the car and it works again, but that seems to be the quirk with my cars electronics.

Now as for reasons for resales

1) Price + Interest Rate + Economy. This car isn't cheap, especially if you finance. There's an SL I saw in my city during F1 weekend. A week later, it was for sale...at a MAZDA dealership. To me, this just means someone couldn't afford it anymore and had to trade in for a Mazda. People are getting laid off, bankrupt and etc. This is a hard car to keep $ wise if you get unlucky or already could borderline afford it.
2) Underoptioning. Unfortunetly, you can 100% underoption the car. Most cars I've seen on sale used are criminally underoptioned. Gloss rims, some **** aluminium trim, etc. You get the option for amazing wheels, carbon fiber, functional aero package, etc, but some people decided to skip it. I'd easily see people regretting their purchase or trading for a more optioned model
3) Depreciation scare. Lot's of people bought this car for top dollar, when it really should've never been. If you bought this car with under 10% discount you had a bad deal, unless it's a really unique spec (like white interior on black exterior + carbon wheel). I bought mine for 25% off. Although you should never buy a car expecting a good resale, I guess those that did must be ****ting themselves seeing the market value steadily decrease
4) Extra cost. This is no joke. In my two months of ownership I've invested close to 20k into the car... Mandatory PPF? 6k or more, Mandatory Prepaid Maintenance? 4k, Winter wheel kit? 6k, Rim Insurrance?.... the list goes on. Oh and lets not forget gas. I spend 50% more on gaz than my CLA 45. So once again, if you could barely afford this cars monthly payment + downpayment, you are pretty much ****ed.
I agree with most of your comments. Great job on getting 25% off MSRP. I am guessing this was on a 2022 SL63 that you bought in 2023 ?? The discounts available on the SL55 were significantly less than the SL 63's.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL550
How is prepaid maintenance mandatory? What if the car is totaled in an accident - could easily be a waste of money.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by Swedishiron
How is prepaid maintenance mandatory? What if the car is totaled in an accident - could easily be a waste of money.
Unused portion is refundable.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by Swedishiron
This is what happened to us a long time ago. This has changed to be transferrable but is still limited to getting another similar level MB.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,585 Likes on 2,049 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
To the OP:

Ask the sales person to demonstrate the wind deflector. Drive the car on a bright, sunny day with the top down and then fiddle with the touch screen. Try adjusting the radio volume using the steering wheel controls. Try putting your golf clubs in the trunk. Go for a drive on bumpy, residential streets and check out the ride quality. Inquire as to the service costs of these AMG vehicles. Then, do all of these things in a new 911 Cabriolet and see which one you like better.

Last edited by Streamliner; 08-14-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-14-2023, 01:30 PM

Received 124 Likes on 65 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Streamliner
To the OP:

Ask the sales person to demonstrate the wind deflector. Drive the car on a bright, sunny day with the top down and then fiddle with the touch screen. Try adjusting the radio volume using the steering wheel controls. Try putting your golf clubs in the trunk. Go for a drive on bumpy, residential streets and check out the ride quality. Inquire as to the service costs of these AMG vehicles. Then, do all of these things in a new 911 Cabriolet and see which one you like better.
Having put 6000 miles on a '22 Carrera S Cabriolet and 4500 miles on my SL55 AMG Roadster, let me take a stab:

1) If you leave the wind deflector attached to the SL55 (as I do) I prefer reaching back and lifting it to the fiddly button that raised the powerized deflector on the Porsche
2) I honestly don't understand all the complaints about the touch screen. When you own the car you learn it VERY quickly and it's probably easier to use than the menu system in the Porsche cluster. Just my opinion
3) Slight advantage to Porsche. I prefer a knob to the haptic control
4) Seriously? Golf clubs in a 911? I haven't tried putting them in my AMG but if I were to take the driver out of the bag I think it could work. I was able to put them in an F-Type Roadster and the MB trunk is bigger than that. Again, I haven't tried it yet.
5) Bumpy residential streets? Probably a toss up. The SL feels more solid, but it weighs a lot more so that shouldn't be much of a surprise. One thing I have noticed is expansion strips on expressways are terrible on the SL, worse than the 911. I have found two areas where it's distinctly unpleasant; unfortunately one is on my way to work, the other on my way home.
6) Service costs? Never had to service an AMG but I'm sure it's VERY expensive. Then again, service at my Porsche dealer was more expensive than service at my Ferrari dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by drgek:
AzurSL (08-14-2023), van_rider (08-14-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by drgek
Having put 6000 miles on a '22 Carrera S Cabriolet and 4500 miles on my SL55 AMG Roadster, let me take a stab:

1) If you leave the wind deflector attached to the SL55 (as I do) I prefer reaching back and lifting it to the fiddly button that raised the powerized deflector on the Porsche
2) I honestly don't understand all the complaints about the touch screen. When you own the car you learn it VERY quickly and it's probably easier to use than the menu system in the Porsche cluster. Just my opinion
3) Slight advantage to Porsche. I prefer a knob to the haptic control
4) Seriously? Golf clubs in a 911? I haven't tried putting them in my AMG but if I were to take the driver out of the bag I think it could work. I was able to put them in an F-Type Roadster and the MB trunk is bigger than that. Again, I haven't tried it yet.
5) Bumpy residential streets? Probably a toss up. The SL feels more solid, but it weighs a lot more so that shouldn't be much of a surprise. One thing I have noticed is expansion strips on expressways are terrible on the SL, worse than the 911. I have found two areas where it's distinctly unpleasant; unfortunately one is on my way to work, the other on my way home.
6) Service costs? Never had to service an AMG but I'm sure it's VERY expensive. Then again, service at my Porsche dealer was more expensive than service at my Ferrari dealer.
My 2 cents:

1) I find the wind a non-issue on my 2023 SL55 even without the wind deflector in place so I rarely use it.
2) I agree, touch screen is fine once you get used to it, even on bright sunny days
3) I don't like the haptic volume switch nor the lack of a next track button on the steering wheel. Not the end of the world, but not good.
4) Golf clubs plus golf shoes absolutely fit in the trunk but need to put driver and fairway woods in back seat.
5) I found the SL ride to be better than a 911 Cabriolet comparing one after the other.
The following 2 users liked this post by xtdoc777:
California John (08-23-2023), drgek (08-23-2023)