SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Battery type for trickle charger

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 10:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
2011 e350 wagon
Battery type for trickle charger

Do you guys know what battery type our cars have? AGM?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:35 PM

Received 81 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S 2022, AMG SL55 2023
Originally Posted by e350wagon1
Not sure but I do know that this is the proper charger for our car. Just google it and you will find many places online to buy:

A0009822921 Mercedes trickle charger

I have one and it works perfectly with my SL55 2023

The following users liked this post:
e350wagon1 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 10:20 AM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
AGM
California John (10-12-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 06:21 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'22 SL63, '22 Tesla Model S LR and X LR
Originally Posted by xtdoc777
Not sure but I do know that this is the proper charger for our car. Just google it and you will find many places online to buy:

A0009822921 Mercedes trickle charger

I have one and it works perfectly with my SL55 2023
I bought the same charger. Does yours heat up when charging? Mine gets pretty hot. The battery is also at 50% so I am assuming it is charging at 5amps but still. My EVs are pulling 32 amps and they are just a bit warm. This charger is hot to the point that I disconnected it for the evening. I did not feel comfortable keeping it unattended. I had it on for 4-5 hours yesterday and that was not enough to go from 50% to the next led.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Huncowboy
I bought the same charger. Does yours heat up when charging? Mine gets pretty hot. The battery is also at 50% so I am assuming it is charging at 5amps but still. My EVs are pulling 32 amps and they are just a bit warm. This charger is hot to the point that I disconnected it for the evening. I did not feel comfortable keeping it unattended. I had it on for 4-5 hours yesterday and that was not enough to go from 50% to the next led.
Yes, mine heats up quite a bit as well. It is a trickle charger so it will not charge fast.
Huncowboy (10-28-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 04:00 PM

Yes, mine heats up quite a bit as well. It is a trickle charger so it will not charge fast.
Ok so not just mine heats up. It finally went to the 3rd LED. That is I think 70-80%. Now it is much cooler as it dropped the rate. It took a solid 10-12 hours to go from 50% to that next LED. Just in case anyone else wonders.

My ride was sitting at the dealer for 150 days according to CarGurus. I was not surprised to see a low battery warning when I picked it up. But then I drove it for 3-4h until I got home. I remember the next morning I saw the battery warning still. It seams the battery warning comes around 50% (just basing it at the LEDs on the charger but next time I will actually measure the voltage with a tool). That makes me wonder...
How long does this car take to recharge the battery to normal levels? You would think 1-2h should be enough. Anyways. It is what it is. Kind of sucks they screwed this up. Somehow I don't get bent out of shape over this. Best looking ride I have ever. IMHO MB has been pumping out one great looking car after the other for a solid decade now... Yesterday I spent probably 2 hours sitting in the garage with a beer and a cigar and just kept looking at it.
California John (10-29-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 04:13 PM

Ok so not just mine heats up. It finally went to the 3rd LED. That is I think 70-80%. Now it is much cooler as it dropped the rate. It took a solid 10-12 hours to go from 50% to that next LED. Just in case anyone else wonders.

My ride was sitting at the dealer for 150 days according to CarGurus. I was not surprised to see a low battery warning when I picked it up. But then I drove it for 3-4h until I got home. I remember the next morning I saw the battery warning still. It seams the battery warning comes around 50% (just basing it at the LEDs on the charger but next time I will actually measure the voltage with a tool). That makes me wonder...
How long does this car take to recharge the battery to normal levels? You would think 1-2h should be enough. Anyways. It is what it is. Kind of sucks they screwed this up. Somehow I don't get bent out of shape over this. Best looking ride I have ever. IMHO MB has been pumping out one great looking car after the other for a solid decade now... Yesterday I spent probably 2 hours sitting in the garage with a beer and a cigar and just kept looking at it.
I feel the same. Every time I drive it or look at it in my garage, it makes me smile. And in my experience, if you double click the key when locking and keep the key at least 20 feet away, you should rarely, if ever, have to charge the battery.

Last edited by xtdoc777; 10-28-2023 at 04:38 PM.
California John (10-29-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 01:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 SL63, 2020 Porsche Taycan

My car was sitting at the dealer for about a year before we took delivery. They replaced the battery with a new one before we took it, and it still has an issue keeping it charged, even with double clicking the fob. It has never not started. As my wife puts it, it's "a whiney b!#$C." It's going in for a top sensor repair this week and they're going to install the trickle charger in the trunk as part of MB's campaign on this.
Old 11-03-2023, 08:32 PM

2011 e350 wagon
Actually…. I found out double click doesn’t really deactivate the entry function. Press MB button, keep pressed and press open twice does that. After that you can keep keys close and the car will not react. unless you press (any) button. I have started a thread on this
Old 11-03-2023, 08:48 PM

Actually…. I found out double click doesn’t really deactivate the entry function. Press MB button, keep pressed and press open twice does that. After that you can keep keys close and the car will not react. unless you press (any) button. I have started a thread on this
Agree double click does not deactivate the auto unlock entry function but it does put the car in a deeper sleep (ie. low battery drain). When I leave my car, I always double click and then keep my key 20 feet away. When I approach the car with my key, the handle presents itself which I like. This works well for me and stops the low battery warning for me.

Turning off the entry function with your method may be a good option for those that have an SL that the method I described does not prevent low battery warning.
Old 11-04-2023, 03:28 AM

Agree double click does not deactivate the auto unlock entry function but it does put the car in a deeper sleep (ie. low battery drain). When I leave my car, I always double click and then keep my key 20 feet away. When I approach the car with my key, the handle presents itself which I like. This works well for me and stops the low battery warning for me.

Turning off the entry function with your method may be a good option for those that have an SL that the method I described does not prevent low battery warning.
I did a bit of testing with the double click and leaving the key away. After 3 days my batter was back on the trickle charger and it was starting from the 50% LED again. Car did not move. It probably did not go down to 50%, more like < 70%. It went to green after 8-10h of charging. The next thing I am trying is to keep the app closed. Meaning, actually shut down the app on the phone. I am not sure this will make a difference or not, but I know 3rd party apps and other functions can have the car wake up too often. Somehow I doubt this is the issue because this would really be an easy fix for MB. But since they are installing trickle chargers (mine is scheduled with the fuel pump in two weeks) I think the problem is going to stay. Probably not that easy of a fix on their end. Since this battery warning I also have a permanent red SOS disabled (or something like that) msg on the dash along with a pop up msg. I am reading this may be related to the battery being low on charge.
Old 11-04-2023, 08:56 AM

I did a bit of testing with the double click and leaving the key away. After 3 days my batter was back on the trickle charger and it was starting from the 50% LED again. Car did not move. It probably did not go down to 50%, more like < 70%. It went to green after 8-10h of charging. The next thing I am trying is to keep the app closed. Meaning, actually shut down the app on the phone. I am not sure this will make a difference or not, but I know 3rd party apps and other functions can have the car wake up too often. Somehow I doubt this is the issue because this would really be an easy fix for MB. But since they are installing trickle chargers (mine is scheduled with the fuel pump in two weeks) I think the problem is going to stay. Probably not that easy of a fix on their end. Since this battery warning I also have a permanent red SOS disabled (or something like that) msg on the dash along with a pop up msg. I am reading this may be related to the battery being low on charge.
Very interesting. Ddi you check what the charge status was before the 3 days?
Curious whether or not it was fully charged beforehand.

I will repeat the same test next week (and report back) as I will be returning to my garaged SL after being out of town for 6 days.

I see you also have a Tesla model S LR and an SL...interesting going back and forth between these two very different rides, huh? I think it makes me like them both more for their unique character,
Old 11-04-2023, 09:17 AM

Very interesting. Ddi you check what the charge status was before the 3 days?
Curious whether or not it was fully charged beforehand.

I will repeat the same test next week (and report back) as I will be returning to my garaged SL after being out of town for 6 days.

I see you also have a Tesla model S LR and an SL...interesting going back and forth between these two very different rides, huh? I think it makes me like them both more for their unique character,
It was sitting on the trickle green. So it should have been 100%. I just plugged it in again, and 3 days later is is on LED 3, the last amber. I think 70% or more. Definitely not scientific.

As far as Teslas. Wife wanted an X. I fought the idea but eventually... If that what she wants. I was trying to sell her on GS, X7, Cayenne. But she likes the stupid doors. After researching them I got hooked on the idea of no oil changes and gas stops. Plus there really is a lot of cool stuff about them. So we got an S and an X. It was clear from day one they were not "luxury" vehicles other than the price. But they ware a lot of fun. I went from an M5 comp to the S and it was still fun. I ordered a plaid but the LR fell on my laps so I took that. Back then there was a long wait. But Teslas are junk unfortunately. Initially I liked my S. But mine has spent 60 days in service out of 18 months. I am almost done with the lemon process. The X started to show problems too. It seams after one year you start getting the problems. Problems they cannot fix after many attempts. So hopefully I will do a lemon on that turd as well. Too bad because my S was a perfect commuter car.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:46 AM

It was sitting on the trickle green. So it should have been 100%. I just plugged it in again, and 3 days later is is on LED 3, the last amber. I think 70% or more. Definitely not scientific.

As far as Teslas. Wife wanted an X. I fought the idea but eventually... If that what she wants. I was trying to sell her on GS, X7, Cayenne. But she likes the stupid doors. After researching them I got hooked on the idea of no oil changes and gas stops. Plus there really is a lot of cool stuff about them. So we got an S and an X. It was clear from day one they were not "luxury" vehicles other than the price. But they ware a lot of fun. I went from an M5 comp to the S and it was still fun. I ordered a plaid but the LR fell on my laps so I took that. Back then there was a long wait. But Teslas are junk unfortunately. Initially I liked my S. But mine has spent 60 days in service out of 18 months. I am almost done with the lemon process. The X started to show problems too. It seams after one year you start getting the problems. Problems they cannot fix after many attempts. So hopefully I will do a lemon on that turd as well. Too bad because my S was a perfect commuter car.
Not scientific but I am convinced by that. I wonder what % it has to get to until the battery warning pops up.

As far as your Tesla's...yikes. Really bad luck. Between my wife and I, over the last 8 years we have leased (2 and 3 year leases) 3 model S's, 2 Model X's and 2 Model Y's. Fit and finish is always poor with trim pieces falling off, paint flaws, etc but we have had no significant reliability issues. With all the our Tesla leases, maybe we have had 7 days in the shop, total and all feature related (ie, summon), not driving related. For most of our leases we have picked up and later returned the car without ever needing anything done in the shop (besides tires). I really hope you can lemon law your Model S and get a new reliable one. I was thinking about buying (not leasing) a plaid at the end of my current lease but your experience is giving me second thoughts.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:45 AM

Not scientific but I am convinced by that. I wonder what % it has to get to until the battery warning pops up.

As far as your Tesla's...yikes. Really bad luck. Between my wife and I, over the last 8 years we have leased (2 and 3 year leases) 3 model S's, 2 Model X's and 2 Model Y's. Fit and finish is always poor with trim pieces falling off, paint flaws, etc but we have had no significant reliability issues. With all the our Tesla leases, maybe we have had 7 days in the shop, total and all feature related (ie, summon), not driving related. For most of our leases we have picked up and later returned the car without ever needing anything done in the shop (besides tires). I really hope you can lemon law your Model S and get a new reliable one. I was thinking about buying (not leasing) a plaid at the end of my current lease but your experience is giving me second thoughts.
The percentage has to be well below 50% because my car was on the trickle charger for a long time (10h or longer) to just get to the 3rd amber LED. As far as the S. I thought about getting another LR and keep the SL for what most people use it. Sunday car. But I really want to drive this SL as a daily. I did the same with my 911, the two M5s we had. It is fun. I always take a hit on it when I trade it on or pay overage on the mileage when I lease, but it makes my commute just a bit more fun.
Old 11-04-2023, 12:49 PM

2011 e350 wagon

The other benefit of turning off entry function is that you can keep the key wherever you want. Not sure if this is also less drain but since I have been using this no more low battery warnings