SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: Bashing R232

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 03:51 PM
wem

Received 184 Likes on 104 Posts
'22 AMG SL55;'23 Porsche Cayenne S Coupe;'13 Porsche Boxster S
I am someone who has experienced both the good and the bad with the r232. The model year situation was/is ridiculous. I originally ordered a 2023 which was built and arrived in early 2023, and then held at the vehicle prep center for months. Eventually I purchased a new 2022 that my dealer located out of state. The 2023 I originally ordered didn’t arrive at the dealer for another 2 months. My car is subject to the fuel pump recall, but the part is still not available. I have had issues with the battery enough times to start a lemon law buy back. As much of an inconvenience it has been to bring back the car multiple times, I have not been brushed off by the dealer or MBUSA. On each of the three trips, there have been multiple software updates and some mechanical tweaks. MBUSA has combed through the vehicle logs and worked with the dealer. If it were not for the continuous effort by MB, I would have started the lemon law process. I have had the car back for about a month and the latest fix seems to be holding. As an early adopter, I don’t expect everything to be perfect. I hope that my willingness to let the dealer and MBUSA work on my car has helped them find the problem and come up with a solution for others. I just wanted folks to know that MB is not totally sticking its head in the sand. I came back to the brand solely because of the r232. Will I buy another MB, probably not, but until another shiny object catches my eye, I will continue to enjoy my SL.
The following users liked this post:
California John (05-20-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,449 Likes on 957 Posts
No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Streamliner
I’ve had 17 new MB’s and 4 used. I’ve been a very faithful and loyal customer, but after MBUSA found it necessary to buyback TWO of my cars in a row, coupled with what I feel are very poor design & marketing decisions, my next new car will be from the folks in Munich. With MB since 2019, it has been one misstep after another. Many would say the problems started well before that, but to me, 2019 was the last great year for the folks from Stuttgart. Whether the virus fiasco played a major role in this, who can say? All I know is that after decades of lusting after MB vehicles, there is not one in the current lineup that I have any desire to drive, not one. Too much money for too many problems and not nearly enough enjoyment.
You know, I can walk into a BMW shop with 100-150K budget and actually have attractive choices. I would actually have fun. I can't do that with Mercedes...period. As for the Chinese virus fiasco, "the best or nothing" was not alone. BMW, Porsche and others faced the similar issues and yet here we are. Heck, some brands are stronger now than ever. Mercedes...not, memories of Chrysler merger but only worse IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
Mike P (05-21-2024), Streamliner (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,022 Posts
2020 S560 Sedan, 2019 SL450, 2019 E450 Luxury Trim Wagon, '24 BMW I7 on order...
Originally Posted by places
You know, I can walk into a BMW shop with 100-150K budget and actually have attractive choices. I would actually have fun. I can't do that with Mercedes...period. As for the Chinese virus fiasco, "the best or nothing" was not alone. BMW, Porsche and others faced the similar issues and yet here we are. Heck, some brands are stronger now than ever. Mercedes...not, memories of Chrysler merger but only worse IMO.
Very well said.
Old 05-21-2024, 02:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Wow, its like getting married again

Originally Posted by Fastcars1969
I understand most of us who have this vehicle are disappointed in many ways. Here's the issue I see happening right now.
I have my disappointments, but overall, I love my 2022 AMG SL63. In 2023, I drove this out the dealer brand new, with 10 miles on it. Perfect for about a month. Then the gremlins started bugging the car.

1) First was a module related SOS and to software updates has to be ordered from Germany. But without an ETA. After I escalated the issue with the dealership, the GM intervened to get an ETA and resolution. This kept the car at the dealership for about 15 days. Thank G for the loaner.

2) Couple months later, in eco mode at traffic stop failed to start the car. Worst nightmare on a busy street. After a few retries, car eventually started. (key fob has new battery). Brought to dealership but scans failed to detect anything amiss. Failing to start from eco mode has been a stressful experience, it doesnt happen many times, but it happens at the most unexpected situations. ( ie, for gods sakes, why not just dont start before I leave the house,@#$%! ). Recall issues have been addressed with required updates.

3) Main bug lately has been the eco mode causing delayed and missed starts. Lately when turning eco off, it wont! Later, it does!

4) Other electrical, configuration nuances.

I love this car, it just probably assembled from bad lot, who knows, but, I'd look forward to another model probably.
Of the five MB's that I had, the least troublesome was my 2015 SLK350, never had an issue, fun to drive. The worst was my 2007 ML500, mechanical issues galore. My 2018 GLC 63 was doing great, but it got totalled ; (. Replaced with 2020 GLC 63, but tires woreout less than 10K, had to replace all four tire twice, and I drive conservatively. So I got into a well deserved 2022 AMG SL63 -- a car that makes me happy and stressed at the same time. Wow, its like getting married again.

See you guys around.

The following users liked this post:
Kingspoke (05-22-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
RE: I have my disappointments, but overall, I love my 2022 AMG SL63. In 2023, I drove this out the dealer brand new, with 10 miles on it. Perfect for about a month. Then the gremlins started bugging the car.

Update:

Dealer diagnostics didnt detect any of the problems i've been having. So far car's been behaving nicely.
The following 2 users liked this post by bluetech2003:
California John (05-27-2024), drgek (05-27-2024)