SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55, Range Rover S/C '06
:::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::

I am considering the purchase of 20" rims on my SL55 but have heard mixed opinions on ride quality...

What is the opinion of those who have put on 20" rims on their SL55/65's? Does the body squeak and rattle more because of the extra stress on the chassis? How is the ride? Is it jarring now? OR does it still ride like it's floating in the air?

-Chris
Old 04-06-2005, 06:43 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by lookatmeeee
I am considering the purchase of 20" rims on my SL55 but have heard mixed opinions on ride quality...

What is the opinion of those who have put on 20" rims on their SL55/65's? Does the body squeak and rattle more because of the extra stress on the chassis? How is the ride? Is it jarring now? OR does it still ride like it's floating in the air?

-Chris
I've had 20" Brabus Monoblock VI's on my '05 SL55 for about 3 weeks now... and I find they ride very well... far better than I had expected... certainly not jarring... but it's in the turns that you'll feel the real difference. MUCH MORE GRIP with the wider tires and shirter sidewalls.

I doubt you'll be dissappointed.

~ Ian

Last edited by IanSL55; 04-06-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:13 PM
Almost a Member!

Black SL55 with Kleemann effects, Black 911 Porsche
The ride changes dramtically. Had the stock 18" and it drove like a mercedes. Changed to 20" and the drive is xaclty like my Porsche, very harsh. Switch both cars to bigger rims and that was the difference from a nice smooth ride to feeling every pothole in the road. What you gain in aesthetics, you lose in comfort. It depends on what you're looking for.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Whatever keys I grab first...
^^ Like they said-- you wont be dissapointed. In turning is where you'll notice the difference for SURE! Also, your vehicle will look higher-- even lowered-- with the 20". Obviously. Now, I haven't expeirenced ANY types of intruding noises. None whatsoever. Get some 20s, and post pics.
Old 04-06-2005, 10:50 PM

Ok, these are two very different replies.. Anyone else have any input? What i'm wondering is, does the ride become jarring, or just rough? I used to have an M3 Cabriolet w/ 19" wheels and 30 series tires.. that car had a pretty rough ride but there was no serious jarring, it was more just bumpiness..Any comparison to an M3? For the guy who said the SL starts riding like a 911, i'd be scared of that, 911's-- although not bumpy, have a jarring quality when they hit bumps. What does the SL feel like when riding across really bumpy roads w/ 20's on? Does the chassis ever feel unsettled or just really wobbly like a wet noodle? (Cowl shake)? Also does it matter that you have an SL600 and I have an SL55? Don't the AMG's have stiffer suspension settings, or does yours have the AMG sports package?

Last edited by lookatmeeee; 04-06-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by rager2700
The ride changes dramtically. Had the stock 18" and it drove like a mercedes. Changed to 20" and the drive is xaclty like my Porsche, very harsh. Switch both cars to bigger rims and that was the difference from a nice smooth ride to feeling every pothole in the road. What you gain in aesthetics, you lose in comfort. It depends on what you're looking for.
I'm on 20's and honestly I still consider the ride quality pretty tame and smooth. It's been a while since I've owned a 911 (1998) so I can't make a comparison... but I had a 350Z (on 18's) up until last week (traded it for a E55) and it was night and day between that car and the SL55. Maybe it's the roads? The roads here in SoCal are pretty good...

~ Ian
Old 04-06-2005, 11:18 PM

I used to have a 350Z and that was the most rugged ride on a car i've ever had.. The M3 being second, and the 911's (996, 997) ive rented and driven in having the best ride of the three. THE SL though, rides like it's on air. Not bumpy enough for me.. Yes, i'm a BMW/Porsche guy :-P
Ian, i see you're in irvine, the roads there are SMOOOTH, I have a house in NB where you never see any roughed up pavement (All of that area has amazing roads, Tustin, Irvine, NB, Costa Mesa, HB, etc..) but live in LA and there's tons of broken pavement and potholes.. How does your car handle over rought stuff like that?
Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 AM

I used to have a 350Z and that was the most rugged ride on a car i've ever had.. The M3 being second, and the 911's (996, 997) ive rented and driven in having the best ride of the three. THE SL though, rides like it's on air. Not bumpy enough for me.. Yes, i'm a BMW/Porsche guy. Ian, i see you're in irvine, the roads there are SMOOOTH, I have a house in NB where you never see any roughed up pavement (All of that area has amazing roads, Tustin, Irvine, NB, Costa Mesa, HB, etc..) but live in LA and there's tons of broken pavement and potholes.. How does your car handle over rought stuff like that? Thanks for the replies guys!
My office is in Culver City and I eat out on La Cienega or on the West side at least once a week... so I'm out and about in L.A. occassionally so I know can find some stretches of bumpy road up there... but even on 20's you won't mistake the ride quality for anything but a luxury car in terms of ride. I keep my SL55 in sport mode all the time, and I honestly don't feel much of a difference. The driving experience is MUCH improved however with the wider tires, particularly in turns... and though you'll feel some side to side 'play' over grooved pavement, the overall weight of the car makes it less pronounced than one would expect with such wide/sticky tires.

~ Ian
Old 04-07-2005, 12:59 AM

Ian, you have helped me make up my mind . Thanks for the responses.. Now, what kind of tires are you running? Are you doing the 305/25/20 setup w/ the Continental Contisports or are you doing the 295/25/20 setup w/ the Michelin Pilot Sport tires?

BTW... That's one HELLUVA commute if i've ever heard of one
Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 AM

SLK 230
doesn't it really depend on the roads?

Hi,

I have noticed that you are hoping to get a better ride quality if you place 20inches on? But really the tires are only as good as the road they travel on. I have to say the roads in the UK can be quite appauling and therefore suspension is probably more important than the actualy inches of tires. I think 18inch with very good suspension is better than the extra 2inches on tires with ordinary suspension...Just my opinion
Old 04-07-2005, 12:10 PM

I am not trying to gain ride quality so much as I am trying to get a better look without losing too much ride quality. I do, however, actually enjoy a slightly stiffer ride than the stock SL55... I'm much more used to BMW's ride quality.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Almost a Member!

I am not trying to gain ride quality so much as I am trying to get a better look without losing too much ride quality. I do, however, actually enjoy a slightly stiffer ride than the stock SL55... I'm much more used to BMW's ride quality.
You said it with that answer, get the 20's. To answer your other question, I feel every bump in my 911. Drove the SL today, and you feel every bump, not a jarring effect like you mentioned, but a hard ride where you feel the road alot more than say, 17's with a higher profile. Like I said earlier, depends on what you want.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:15 PM

SL55AMG
You said it with that answer, get the 20's. .
Wholeheartedly agree. If you're the type that likes a sportier ride and appreciates road feel, plus you want the look, go with the 20's. Now the next issue you'll face is lowering the car... because without doing so the 20's just don't look right.

Enjoy!
Old 04-07-2005, 07:59 PM
Almost a Member!

NOOOOO...what the heck you guys with 20" are saying? You are making yourself BELIEVE that the ride is "pretty tame, smooth, not jarring, etc etc" Come on....you are just trying to convince yourself that "Hey I can have the nice wheel looks and I THINK, the ride is still smooth" LOL

....why?? I have the SL65 and SL500 and other toys.....there is HUGE difference in ride quality when I changed into bigger wheels.

remember bigger wheels = less rubber. Less rubber means harsh rides

NOW, if you stay in the same size as the factory BUT just got a wider one, if there is, then you get the same comfort and a bit better grip
Old 04-08-2005, 12:25 AM

viper65...You have 20's on your SL65? What would you compare the ride quality to?

I actually think the ride quality on the stock 18's is TOO smooth. It feels like i'm driving a boat. On the other hand, i don't want a JARRING ride like in that of a 911..
Old 04-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Almost a Member!

viper65...You have 20's on your SL65? What would you compare the ride quality to?

I actually think the ride quality on the stock 18's is TOO smooth. It feels like i'm driving a boat. On the other hand, i don't want a JARRING ride like in that of a 911..
Too bad. And yes, lower it too. Had mine lowered 2 inches, fenders rolled out as well. Looks mean and aggressive.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:20 AM

Too bad. And yes, lower it too. Had mine lowered 2 inches, fenders rolled out as well. Looks mean and aggressive.
Yup.. i'm lowering it first tomorrow w/ the Brabus ECU. Then ordering some custom rims.. I have a diamond silver vehicle and am trying to figure out if I want black rims w/ polished lip, or gunmetal w/ polished lip. Not sure which one would match the color of my car...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:38 AM

Carlsson CK55 RS SL55
The shorter tyre sidewall is an issue for Ride quality. For example, the tyre sidewall height reduces from 4” on 18” wheels to 3” on 20” wheels. In addition, the tyre sidewall on 25 Profile 20” tyres will also be stiffer than those on 35 Profile 18” tyres.

However, by far the biggest issue that affects Ride quality is Un-Sprung Weight. Most 20” wheels will almost double the Un-Sprung weight compared with the normal 22 Spoke Wheels specified on the SL55. For example, the use of 20” wheels will increase the Un-Sprung weight by about 80lbs compared with the 18” wheels

Before changing the wheels on my SL55, I found a way to drive several similar SL55’s on a variety of 19” and 20” wheels. What I found was that different wheels have different characteristics and in general, the heavier the wheel, the worse the ride and handling. In other words, different 20” wheels had different ride and handling characteristics

In the end, I went with Ultralight 19” wheels with the vehicle lowered by 30mm. I found this offered the best overall compromise. Lowering the centre of gravity has a significant positive impact on the car’s handling and the use of lighter wheels has a positive impact on BOTH Ride and Handling.

If possible, look out for Forged wheels rather than Cast wheels, as these will typically be about 60% of the weight of Cast wheels
Old 04-08-2005, 05:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by RHurley
In the end, I went with Ultralight 19” wheels with the vehicle lowered by 30mm
Carlsson or HRE's? Sounds like it should look impressive. Any pictures?
Old 04-08-2005, 12:34 PM

Very good advice RHurley... I have found this as well.. Braking distances increase and acceleration suffers when you use heavy wheels. I always look for the lightest tires and wheels... I am going w/ 26 lb/29 lb (Fronts/rears) on the 20" wheels...

I think the 20's I am getting are actually lighter than the stock 18's..
Old 04-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Yup.. i'm lowering it first tomorrow w/ the Brabus ECU. Then ordering some custom rims.. I have a diamond silver vehicle and am trying to figure out if I want black rims w/ polished lip, or gunmetal w/ polished lip. Not sure which one would match the color of my car...
IMO: Black with silver lip if you car is silver. Chrome if its black.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:12 PM

Carlsson CK55 RS SL55
Attached are PROMOTIONAL pictures of the Carlsson wheels on a lowered SL55. Before I get any flame posts from Derek or anybody else, they are NOT pictures of my car. (Nice catch Derek )

In my opinion, you can't beat the professionally generated ones (Even though the 800 by 600 limitation on this site does distort the quality of the originals)

Anyway they give you a feel for how the car looks. I do feel that they work on a Black or darker colour car. Not sure they are as successful on a Silver car, just MHO.

As already said, they weigh about 22lbs each at the front and 24lbs each at the rear (not including tyre) The standard 18" 22 Spoke SL55 wheels weigh 29/31, while the AMG 5 Spoke weigh 36/40. Not small differences, when you consider the lengths to which BMW and Audi (among others) go to use Aluminium suspension parts to reduce Un-Sprung weight.

Good luck with whatever you choose and certainly, the 26/29 lbs combination that you are talking about sounds excellent for 20" wheels.
Attached Thumbnails :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::-ck55-black-side-open-53.jpg   :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::-ck55-black-rear-34-open-3.jpg   :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::-ck55-amg-front-spoiler-front-lip-2.jpg   :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::-ck55-black-rear-34.jpg   :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::-ck55-black-r34-open.jpg  

Last edited by RHurley; 04-08-2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RHurley
Attached are PROMOTIONAL pictures of the Carlsson wheels on a lowered SL55. Before I get any flame posts from Derek or anybody else, they are NOT pictures of my car. (Nice catch Derek )

In my opinion, you can't beat the professionally generated ones

Anyway they give you a feel for how the car looks. I do feel that they work on a Black or darker colour car. Not sure they are as successful on a Silver car, just MHO.

As already said, they weigh about 22lbs each at the front and 24lbs each at the rear (not including tyre) The standard 18" 22 Spoke SL55 wheels weigh 29/31, while the AMG 5 Spoke weigh 36/40. Not small differences, when you consider the lengths to which BMW and Audi (among others) go to use Aluminium suspension parts to reduce Un-Sprung weight.

Good luck with whatever you choose and certainly, the 26/29 lbs combination that you are talking about sounds excellent for 20" wheels.
I am looking at either getting gunmetal centers w/ polished lip, or gloss black centers w/ polished lip. What would look better on the diamond silver? Remember... the diamond silver has a bluish tinge to it. I am not sure if black centers would match... But gunmetal is not as cool lookin IMO..
Old 04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Almost a Member!

SL65, by default, comes with a 2-tone 19"AMG wheels. Those wheels cost $12,000 and when I put 20", I never liked the look and the ride quality...too rough..... Since the SL65 is a performance car and a very nice car to look at as well, I left what AMG put on the car, the original wheels.....
Old 04-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

My SL65 has the 19" 2-tone Gunmetal with polished lip. Now, I dont know if this is a rumor only or what but I was told by the dealer that those wheels, can only be ordered IF you have an SL65 or else, MB USA will not sell it to you as they will ask for the VIN

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: :::THOSE WITH 20's... RIDE QUALITY?:::