SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: My test drive of an SL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My test drive of an SL65

To all,

I finally had the privilege of driving the 65 amgs. First I drove the S65 with 1 salesperson and 1 additional passenger.(total of 3 people) The S65 is so plush and quiet. Wow. After the tires hook up and hit about 4K rpm, man the car pulled hard. I would have to say harder than my E55. No drama to it. Just woshhh. But, there is a lag of when you hit the pedal to when the car took off. Yes, the ESP light was blinking even though I hit the pedal around 25mph.

After that, I had the chance to drive an SL65 with just the salesperson. Wow, wow wow. What a difference. The car felt so much sportier. So much in control in terms of suspension. Now, the SL took off harder, even though again I tried to easy into a hard accelaration. The ESP still kept blinking. I can see how everybody is saying that MB needs to do something about the traction issue. I thought the E55 was bad off the line, but this SL and the S 65 is really in need of more rubber.

Getting back into my E55 with my friend and flooring it, the power came on instantly, but didn't pull as hard after 1 second as I remember in the SL. It is always easy to tell how fast a car is going from the fast car to a slower car. It is much harder telling it from going from a slower car to a faster car.

I am not into convertibles, but that SL65 is really an incredible car. Although I think the SL65 AMG are the best looking wheels out there, I think I would want to replace them with at least 305 or 315 in the back.

Just sharing a nice day before I figure out what to start saving up for next.

amgB
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65, 911
Be careful - power is addictive The SL pulls harder down low because it's lighter and has a LSD.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:57 AM

Treynor,

I love reading your posts and driving experiences!!!
How do you get the most out of your engine. I know you have some Renntech mods, so your traction problem/ESP has got to be worst that what I experience today. If there was someway to get all that power down to the payment, what an experience that would be. And, to be able to drive that kinda of power everyday to work, would be a pleasure.

I was driving the SL65 the same way I drove the E55. You have to easy into the pedal and then mashed the pedal. On my E55, that is the best way to get out the gate with no or very very minimal ESP flashing. It is also best for your transmissin too.

amgB
Old 04-18-2005, 02:05 AM

sl 500
now i am drooling, will have to start saving the pennies again to get another SL

glad you had a great time
Old 04-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW M3
Question hm

Originally Posted by AMGB
To all,

I finally had the privilege of driving the 65 amgs. First I drove the S65 with 1 salesperson and 1 additional passenger.(total of 3 people) The S65 is so plush and quiet. Wow. After the tires hook up and hit about 4K rpm, man the car pulled hard. I would have to say harder than my E55. No drama to it. Just woshhh. But, there is a lag of when you hit the pedal to when the car took off. Yes, the ESP light was blinking even though I hit the pedal around 25mph.

After that, I had the chance to drive an SL65 with just the salesperson. Wow, wow wow. What a difference. The car felt so much sportier. So much in control in terms of suspension. Now, the SL took off harder, even though again I tried to easy into a hard accelaration. The ESP still kept blinking. I can see how everybody is saying that MB needs to do something about the traction issue. I thought the E55 was bad off the line, but this SL and the S 65 is really in need of more rubber.

Getting back into my E55 with my friend and flooring it, the power came on instantly, but didn't pull as hard after 1 second as I remember in the SL. It is always easy to tell how fast a car is going from the fast car to a slower car. It is much harder telling it from going from a slower car to a faster car.

I am not into convertibles, but that SL65 is really an incredible car. Although I think the SL65 AMG are the best looking wheels out there, I think I would want to replace them with at least 305 or 315 in the back.

Just sharing a nice day before I figure out what to start saving up for next.

amgB

Where did the third pasenger did sit?In SL 65 agm there is 2 seats only and no more room.Maby in back there (i added a picture with red sircle)maby in there.In here estonia when in the car is 2 seats only then 2 people can only sit in the car while som one is driving this car.Isnt there?Or yust i did miss somthing in your text?Sry if i did cause english isnt my home language!Explane please.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:09 AM
Almost a Member!

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by cocliosttro
Where did the third pasenger did sit?In SL 65 agm there is 2 seats only and no more room.Maby in back there (i added a picture with red sircle)maby in there.In here estonia when in the car is 2 seats only then 2 people can only sit in the car while som one is driving this car.Isnt there?Or yust i did miss somthing in your text?Sry if i did cause english isnt my home language!Explane please.

Read again carefully. The first car he drove was an S65 NOT an SL65. Lots of room in the back seat of the S class.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Almost a Member!

BMW M3
my mistake

Yeah.I did read it again and ... Like i did say my mistake.Sorry
Old 04-18-2005, 02:23 PM

2005 SL65
SL65 beside my humble CLK55...

sunday, on sunrise west, heading to FLL to pick up the GF, a black SL65 driven by a forty-something blonde pulled up beside me.

looked much like any other SL with AMG mods, but the engine had a ferrari-like exhaust note. sweet sound.

not much to say other than goodbye, as i watched it pull away effortlessly.

there are a few other 65s tooling around here. plenty of bentley gt coupes in a range of colors. in fact, seems there are more gt coupes around here than SL55s. there are several gt coupes that pull up at the local starbucks rather regularly, but only a single SL55. there are SL500s all over the place.

have any others of you seen similar?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:33 PM

2005 SL65
bentley gt coupe...

continuing my surprise at the number of those coupes around here, i stopped for business on las olas, and upon leaving, saw another gt coupe -- medium blue with turbine (a la 2003 SL55) wheels -- standing outside the bank of america building.

where are all the AMG SLs hiding???

Last edited by david_101; 04-18-2005 at 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 AM
Almost a Member!

SL65 AMG
My black SL65AMG cruises your home turf, but it has been debadged. (I like stealth mode). Watch for tinted windows and a FL "save the everglades" tag.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:26 AM

2005 SL65
Florida Chris...

there are more than a few black, tinted-window SLs around. but i'll BOLF the everglades plate on the de-nomenclatured car.

you slum down here from PBC?

david
Old 04-19-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The funniest thing I've seen around Fort Lauderdale is what appeared to be a silver E55 with the following badges:

Bi-Turbo V12 behind front wheel wells ala SL65
E65 on trunk along with an AMG badge (the spacing between the "6" and the "5" clearly show an amature job too)

What could this guy be thinking?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:46 AM

Yesterday I saw a red SLK230 with an AMG Badge on the left side of the trunk lid, and a kompressor v8 badge on the right side, spinners, and an SLR looking body kit... oh and the guy cut me off

Anyways. I drove an SL65 once. It was raining that day. I'll never get behind the wheel of one of those cars again...
Old 04-19-2005, 11:01 AM

2005 SL65
naadp...

yeah, those 65s really are best as fair weather friends... (;-)
Old 04-19-2005, 11:09 AM

2005 SL65
Trimmer2...

yup, there's quite a handful of poseurs down here.

one 60ish fellow has a magma red SL with SL500 and AMG applications just where they should be, at opposite sides of the trunk lid, and mutant chromed turbine wheels.

then there are the cars with the additonal tri-star symbols stuck on wherever they can catch the eyes of the uninformed.

maybe one day i'll be able to get myself another plate for my discrete beast.

david
Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by david_101
yup, there's quite a handful of poseurs down here.

one 60ish fellow has a magma red SL with SL500 and AMG applications just where they should be, at opposite sides of the trunk lid, and mutant chromed turbine wheels.

then there are the cars with the additonal tri-star symbols stuck on wherever they can catch the eyes of the uninformed.

maybe one day i'll be able to get myself another plate for my discrete beast.

david
Yep, I've seen the red SL "AMG" around town too.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:19 AM

A Beater
I cruised by a poser 3 series BMW converted to a M3. At first I wasn't aware of the convert and I was aching him on for miles before I noticed that the side air dam panel was crooked and the engine purred like a domestic kitten.

Another time I was in my father's TT with my dad and got a chance to witness the newest C65 which is non in existence.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:42 AM

2005 SL65
sneaky M3...

i was driving sunrise east toward the ocean the other night when i noticed an M3 closing in and pulling alongside.

the driver, a youngish guy with a reversed baseball cap, acted as if he hadn't noticed my SL65. then, he revved and began to accelerate.

i push my pedal perhaps 3/4" down, and the 65 began to whoosh with the turbos coming to ear.

within moments, the 65 had passed the M3 and stopped entirely at the light at the intracoastal bridge.

the M3 guy stopped just afterward, turned to me and said, "i almost had you."

i looked back and said, "no, you sure didn't."

he was laughing; i wasn't. i have a hard time tolerating sneakiness, no matter what form it takes.

regardless, the 65 put another nail in the M3 coffin.

i was in BMW a few days ago looking at a 650 for my GF's dad. they had an M6 on the floor. now, that could be some competition.

has anyone played with a new M6?
Old 10-10-2006, 01:24 PM

2007 SL550, 2008 S65, Golf cart and a few non-MB vehicles
Originally Posted by david_101

i was in BMW a few days ago looking at a 650 for my GF's dad. they had an M6 on the floor. now, that could be some competition.

has anyone played with a new M6?

"DerekFSU" over in the E55 board just recently got an M6 in which he has already tested and given his input/results.