SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Warning: SpeedtuningUSA Damages ECU

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning: SpeedtuningUSA Damages ECU

Here's the deal:

My friend's SL55 ECU was sent to Speedtuningusa for a software upgrade. The ECU came back and since then, the SL55 would just shut down for no apparent reason, even while cruising at highway speeds on the freeway. The car had 1,430 miles.

Because of safety issues, the car was towed to the dealership where it was determined that the problem was within the ECU, and that a new ECU had to be ordered from Germany - OUT OF WARRANTY.

It was discovered by the dealer that the ECU was physically tampered, and the mainboard was cracked.

Now and $2,830 later out-of-pocket for the new ECU and diagnosis/repairs, the car runs perfectly fine however, now WITHOUT WARRANTY... and, Speedtuningusa denies the $2,830 claim or does not even offer a refund for the upgrade.

Just a heads up for those considering Speedtuningusa software.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Are you saying the car was brought back to stock and the dealer is saying no warranty? If they've removed the affected part and replaced with MB parts I don't see how they can deny any future warranty work.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:34 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by cte430
Are you saying the car was brought back to stock and the dealer is saying no warranty? If they've removed the affected part and replaced with MB parts I don't see how they can deny any future warranty work.
Because the car has been tampered with...

It's my greatest fear when considering mods... as well it should be.

~ Ian
Old 07-29-2005, 02:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Pardon me for entering this topic but if I had an SL AMG of any kind I would buy a new ECU to tinker with and leave the original unit untouched. Surely the cost of doing so and the risk (as stated) is something apparent to all parties prior to making this modification.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Are you saying the car was brought back to stock and the dealer is saying no warranty? If they've removed the affected part and replaced with MB parts I don't see how they can deny any future warranty
work.

Sounds more like you need to find a new dealer. I have had my dealer send my ECU directly to Kleemann to get some program defaults coded out (dealer does not have the ability but Kleemann does) to resolve a "check engine" with the secondary O2 sensors and they also shipped my difff to them for the LSD install and then installed it back into my car. Oh, and they also installed my IC mod and inspected my K2 after 300 miles to make sure nothing was loose or needed to be torqued again (headers & pulley).

In a month or so they will be installing my new throttle body off the V12 Bi-Turbo (they meaning dealer) when they change out my SC under warranty because the chirp issue has been fixed with the newer SC's.

The moral of this story is that you have a simple ECU and they are acting that way.

Please find a new dealership that will treat you right.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Sounds more like you need to find a new dealer. I have had my dealer send my ECU directly to Kleemann to get some program defaults coded out (dealer does not have the ability but Kleemann does) to resolve a "check engine" with the secondary O2 sensors and they also shipped my difff to them for the LSD install and then installed it back into my car. Oh, and they also installed my IC mod and inspected my K2 after 300 miles to make sure nothing was loose or needed to be torqued again (headers & pulley).

In a month or so they will be installing my new throttle body off the V12 Bi-Turbo (they meaning dealer) when they change out my SC under warranty because the chirp issue has been fixed with the newer SC's.

The moral of this story is that you have a simple ECU and they are acting that way.

Please find a new dealership that will treat you right.
Spero, this cant be Euro is it?
Jason
Old 07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Because the car has been tampered with...

It's my greatest fear when considering mods... as well it should be.

So true my friend.

Please please guys, remember, you get what you pay for. When Kleemann did my ECU, they grounded themselves and the unit before working on it and did everything but wear a surgical mask and gloves. They were meticulous. Oliver, God bless him, works in a beat up trailer in the back of a dealership I believe.

EVO/Klee/Renn....you pay the cash, with no backlash.

Don't mean this at all as smart a$$, but with the cash for an SL55, why not spend the extra 1500$ to have it done by the big guys....that seemed odd.
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
speedtuningusa has been sucessful with many people here and many others with audi's etc. i think the dealer did you no favors. this should of been handled as a warranty problem corrected by mbusa if needed. who did the crack in the board? the installer? the remover?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04E55AMG, 05Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab, 02Montero Limited
Originally Posted by E55JAY
Spero, this cant be Euro is it?
Jason

Hey Bro,

Noway.......
Old 07-29-2005, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by 04E55 AMG
Hey Bro,

Noway.......
HAHA, I didnt think so...those stuck up aholes
Old 07-29-2005, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
So the entire car has no warranty, or just the ECU? I can understand having to pay for the new ECU since it was modified, but to void warranty on the entire car is total BS, not to mention illegal. And now since it is an OEM M-B ECU, even that should be covered as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:44 PM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by medici78
So the entire car has no warranty, or just the ECU? I can understand having to pay for the new ECU since it was modified, but to void warranty on the entire car is total BS, not to mention illegal. And now since it is an OEM M-B ECU, even that should be covered as well.
Well imagine the ECU was programmed in such a way that the car would constantly overheat or otherwise run very differently than what the people at MB had engineered the car for... or with a result that would bring extra stress to say the transmission, suspension, or engine... The point being is you change one aspect of the car and it may wear on other parts. ANY business would be smart to protect itself this way...

~ Ian
Old 08-01-2005, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I had Oliver at Speedtuning do my ECU and it has been flawless and brilliant. Best $350 I ever spent. I have also sent many people to him and they have all been happy. It sounds like whoever removed the ECU (which is very simple), screwed things up. Or perhaps it was damaged in shipping.

Speedtuning doesn't take the ECU apart. All they do is 'flash'the ECU with the new data. I doubt if they did anything to your friend's ECU....it sounds like the problem was on his end. But everyone else is right.............Find a new dealer!
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
I had Oliver at Speedtuning do my ECU and it has been flawless and brilliant. Best $350 I ever spent. I have also sent many people to him and they have all been happy. It sounds like whoever removed the ECU (which is very simple), screwed things up. Or perhaps it was damaged in shipping.

Speedtuning doesn't take the ECU apart. All they do is 'flash'the ECU with the new data. I doubt if they did anything to your friend's ECU....it sounds like the problem was on his end. But everyone else is right.............Find a new dealer!
You can manufacture a thousand good products but there is no guarantee that you will not have a bad one.

There is no way to damage the ECU by simply removing it from the vehicle, nor is it possible to have all the torx screws tampered by just pulling the ECU out.

Bottom line, someone opened the ECU and it was not on this side.

Just to set things straight, some or if not all ECUs are opened when they are bench-programmed (as in Speedtuning's case). The only time they are not opened or touched is when they are in the car and programming is via the OBD2 port.
Old 08-08-2005, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by thearle
You can manufacture a thousand good products but there is no guarantee that you will not have a bad one.

There is no way to damage the ECU by simply removing it from the vehicle, nor is it possible to have all the torx screws tampered by just pulling the ECU out.

Bottom line, someone opened the ECU and it was not on this side.

Just to set things straight, some or if not all ECUs are opened when they are bench-programmed (as in Speedtuning's case). The only time they are not opened or touched is when they are in the car and programming is via the OBD2 port.

I have just spoken with Oliver @ Speedtuning. He is stating that he has NEVER received a complaint about a failing ECU, or one that has been tampered with. If your friend is real (which I am begining to doubt)...have him PM me with his phone number and I will do a 3 way call with Oliver and get to the bottom of this. I have no interest in this except to help a friend from being falsely accused and to help your friend get his car going.

In all my dealings with Oliver and Speedtuning, they have been nothing but forthright and upfront...and the work has been of high quality. I don't believe with an ECU flash that the unit has to be taken apart in any way. Therefore, this can only be the fault of the person who removed and played with the unit (if it happened at all).

So, if your friend is really having an issue with this ECU, have him get hold of me and I will help. If not, this BS needs to stop as you are slandering a fine business and an honorable person.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
BUMP, what ever happened here?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
lol ....Seems like it was BS
Old 07-30-2010, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
SL 63 W/B AMG , S600,C220
I have been told, it doesn't matter how careful you are Mercedes can still
find out if the ecu has been tampered with. Also if you don't tell your
insurance company and kill someone in an accident you won't be covered
Old 07-30-2010, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
I had Oliver did my ECU awhile back...it was fine.

Andy
Old 07-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by M-bENZ
I had Oliver did my ECU awhile back...it was fine.

Andy
+1, I have had my tune for a couple months going great
Old 07-30-2010, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Corrolla
seriously this is my first time hear someone complaint about his works... And NO im not related to him.

Andy