SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Cant make up my mind....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cant make up my mind....

Ive been thinking for so long on what i should get, the Cls55 or the Sl55, my cousin got a Cls55 2006 model white/beige and i pretty much liked the car but i hesitated and wanted to wait till after summer to get a new car. Ive been confused for the last 5 months now. I just got back from a summer vacation which lasted for round 40 days, i cant wait anymore i need to get a new car sometime this week. 2 days ago i passed by the Bmw showroom here in my hometown and asked about the M5, ive driven the E60 couple of weeks ago but i still didnt get enough of it. So while i was there asking about it, the manager asked me if i would like to see the M6, im like sure ive never seen one upfront. Boom..... i was confused between the CLS and the SL, dropped the CLS out, now its not between 2 Mercs anymore, Im really lost about this issue and i dont usually do this when it comes to buying cars, i most of the time just get the one i like most but these 2 cars are hella nice... The M6 and the SL55....

I want a superb reason of what you guys pick to convince me once and for all...

Thanks
Old 08-18-2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Damier Canvas
Ive been thinking for so long on what i should get, the Cls55 or the Sl55, my cousin got a Cls55 2006 model white/beige and i pretty much liked the car but i hesitated and wanted to wait till after summer to get a new car. Ive been confused for the last 5 months now. I just got back from a summer vacation which lasted for round 40 days, i cant wait anymore i need to get a new car sometime this week. 2 days ago i passed by the Bmw showroom here in my hometown and asked about the M5, ive driven the E60 couple of weeks ago but i still didnt get enough of it. So while i was there asking about it, the manager asked me if i would like to see the M6, im like sure ive never seen one upfront. Boom..... i was confused between the CLS and the SL, dropped the CLS out, now its not between 2 Mercs anymore, Im really lost about this issue and i dont usually do this when it comes to buying cars, i most of the time just get the one i like most but these 2 cars are hella nice... The M6 and the SL55....

Thanks
The M6 is just weird looking design and carbonfibre. The SL is more comfortable, and the BMW is more hardcore. i would chose the SL
Old 08-18-2005, 04:47 PM

sl 55
Smile

i would also choose the sl. the convertible hard top is wonderful as is everything else about the car. i have a 2003.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL
I would choose carrera 4s. it will be so much better than sl and m6. m6 just does not look as expensive as it is.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:09 AM

'10 MB E63, '08 ML550 ('05 E55, '05 SL55, '08 E63 GONE)
Originally Posted by levytv
The convertible hard top is wonderful as is everything else about the car.
IMHO, the hard top convertible sets the SL55 far apart... add what might be the best exhaust note of any car on the market today, the wide assortment of standard luxury items, more torque than you'll ever need, and timeless style and design... and it's a no-brainer.

~ Ian
Old 08-19-2005, 10:51 AM

2004 SL55, 2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Damier Canvas
i cant wait anymore i need to get a new car sometime this week. ...but these 2 cars are hella nice... The M6 and the SL55....

If you need a car in this week, the M6 isn't going to do it for you. I think the European production cars are scheduled to start shipping in January. THere is no US introduction date, but I'd expect about this time next year for first production vehicles, and there's a long waiting list at most dealers.

Jim
Old 08-19-2005, 11:38 AM

Buy the SL, and put non-AMG-bumbers on it. Then you have the beautifulest car in the world. And mercedes' designer has just went to Volvo, so there will never be a better looking car, thean the SL. Ever! Buy it before the facelift, that will mak it looks cheap.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:20 PM

I dont want to make a mistake and by the SL55 now if they are changing its looks soon, plus i live in the middle east and its way too hot here to think about the use of convertables now... one more thing, i do look into power and i dont think the SL55 is faster than the M6, i could talk about the pros and cons and give out a huge list .... the only thing keeping me from making my mind is the inner quality of both cars and the options given for each... also such options like the keyless on the benz, panorama, etc.... while the M6 on the other hand, the driving part is much more better stability wise and what i like the most about the M6 is the V10 formula sound it gives.... you cant tell if thats a Bmw or a formula until you see one right infront of you....
Whenever i bring this subject up to my friends they're like definately go for the M6 the SL55 has been out for so long why would you choose an old model over a new one??
But.... still confused....

Plus for whoever mentioned earlier that the M6 wont be out until jan and a big waiting list etc etc .... our dealer is getting 5 M6's on the 25th of this month and i know the manager so he's like i could get you one of those 5 if your interested....

Last edited by Damier Canvas; 08-19-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:03 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
SL55.

M6 isn't even in this territory.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Read through this. http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...eng/bmw/1.html

Maybe it'll help. I can't seem to find a similar one for the SL55.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ajayz
This is a reprint of a BMW press release. I have no reason to suspect its accuracy, but it's guaranteed to have a, well, sympathetic point of view.

Jim
Old 08-19-2005, 11:42 PM

But.... still confused...
You have my sympathy. I have the number one spot on my local M6 waiting list, but I've told my dealer that I want no part of the first year's production (of almost any car), and sometime in 2007, when it's time for me to pull the trigger, I may decide to hang on to the SL55.

What I'll find hard to give up: 1) the wonderful folding hardtop, 2) the low-rpm torque, 3) the plush interior (there's supposed to be an M5/6 option that slathers leather and alcantara all over the place, but I haven't seen it, and doubt it'll be as appealing as the SL55 interior), 4) the torque, 5) the trick suspension with adjustable ride height, and 6) my great MB dealer. Oh, did I mention the torque?

What might get me to switch: 1) better handling, 2) lower weight, 3) more room for stuff (but I still consider the M6 a two-passenger vehicle), 4) more driver involvement.

What makes me nervous about the M6: 1) The SMG, coming out at a time when it seems like everybody who's building manumatics has indicated that the future is with the two-clutch approach, 2) the fuel economy, which will proabably be even worse than the SL55, 3) having to rev the engine way up to get the power.

And then there's the SL55 torque. My son talks about the rev limiter in our family cars. That would be my wife. It's funny, but the SL55 can be pulling pretty hard without setting off the rev limiter, accelerating at a rate that would get me busted in my old 911 where I had to get big numbers on that round dial in the middle to get much power.

Jim
Old 08-20-2005, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

marta
Originally Posted by CASL55
This is a reprint of a BMW press release. I have no reason to suspect its accuracy, but it's guaranteed to have a, well, sympathetic point of view.

Jim

Obviously. Which is why he should find a similar one on the SL55. This just serves to help him decide if the M6 is the type of car he's wanting as it explains essentially every inch of it.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:18 AM

i would spend some extra cash on a sl65...although the m6 is a sweet car, everything from its sound, looks and perfromance IMO, I can't imagine a m6 tuned with a nice S/C slapped on its N/A v10 engine