SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
With the module, you will not be able to get the car back to the stock highest ride height. You will be able to get it back to normal stock ride height.

With the module, the "high" position now seems to be about the same as the "normal" position, pre-module.
I can already hear the sound that the recently installed "speed mountains" in my neighborhood will make while scraping on the cats.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:39 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by naadp
I can already hear the sound that the recently installed "speed mountains" in my neighborhood will make while scraping on the cats.
I think you'll be OK. I've got them in my area too and the only cats I have trouble with usually squeal and run out of the way.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
[
Oggera Coach (Bentley of Beverly Hills) is the exclusive West Coast Mansory distributor. Gambala Motorsports is coming out with their own body kit in March. ECM flash is by GIAC in Irvine, available from Evolution Motorsports in AZ and a few others. The adjustable ECM settings feature (via remote control) is a nice plus. PM me for more details if needed.
Did you do a dyno by anychance, I heard the drivetrain loss was in the range of 30-36%. Is this a fallacy?

Thanks for the info, I’ve had a hard time trying to locate a Mansory Dealer
Old 11-28-2005, 08:54 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by NOTKTS
[Did you do a dyno by anychance, I heard the drivetrain loss was in the range of 30-36%. Is this a fallacy?
I don't know. I've not heard of this being an issue and I'm not sure the logic really follows. Nonetheless, I have an appointment next week to dyno the car. I'll report back.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

g
I don't know. I've not heard of this being an issue and I'm not sure the logic really follows. Nonetheless, I have an appointment next week to dyno the car. I'll report back.
EVO got this on their dyno...
Old 11-28-2005, 11:59 PM

SL55AMG
This graph is from a software rev from a 2004 car more than a year ago. Nate claims significant improvement since then. We'll see.

Last edited by SLVRSL55; 11-29-2005 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
MBH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55 Delivered 01/07/05
Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
beautiful.. don't do ANYTHING else to it, it's perfect

most people don't like white cars, but i think some cars can pull off white pretty nicely.. i'm not biased or anything <g>
Seattlecarfreak,

Love you stable of cars. How do you say in German "unt loving it".
Old 12-01-2005, 02:32 PM

1998 honda civic lx
Yeah, looks better with mods...Still don't know what I think about the look actually. The quality looks amazing, but I just don't know if it's my cup of tea - but ENJOY IT! It sounds like you already do.

And how in the world did someone think that was a kia?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 CL ,2004 gallardo
good luck with your new ride. use it in good health
Old 12-08-2005, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'03 G500, '13 G63, '17 GLS63,
How's the ride with the loweing module?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:56 AM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by medici78
How's the ride with the loweing module?
So far it appears that the lowering module has not detracted from the handling of the car in any way; in fact, the lower center of gravity seems to have improved its manners in the twisties. No alteration of road feel or steering wheel feedback and not a single instance of tire rubbing.

I've now got over 1000 miles on the car and can begin to really get on it. I'm very impressed with the air ride and the suspension system in general. I've thrown it through many of the same canyon runs I used to take with my SL55 and it performs comparably well, impressive for a car that's bigger and heavier. One difference I did notice is that the ESP on the car seems to be a bit less restrictive than my SL; it allows appropriate amounts of under or oversteer in controlled aggressive driving situations. Nice to have the handcuffs loosened a bit, even if not removed. With four wheel drive, it's quite a sensation to feel the back end break loose and swing wide while the front end pulls itself neatly through the turn.

Still miss that SL though, especially on those beutifiul SoCal days. The guy I sold it to lives nearby and I see it every once in a while. Twangs of jealousy, even behind the wheel of a Bentley.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Excellent choice! The car looks great and the lowering be a pre-requisite when ordering 22" wheels!! (There should be some sort of agreement they make you sign the car will be lowered within 1-2 weeks!LOL)

We are currently tuning a Neptune Blue Model over here on the east coast and I'd love to compare notes with you, check your PM!
Old 12-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
22" HRE 940 Series wheels, polished finish. I believe the tire sizes are 275/35/22 fronts, 295/25/22 rear.
Looks as if you used the same tires we did, Continental which are 265/30-22 and 295/25-22 which maintains the sub 3% overall rolling diameter variance needed for the 4wd
Old 12-16-2005, 07:34 PM

2006 VW Passat
Congrats on the new car, love the car, i saw one in england when i went in october, beautiful, i had to walk up and take a pic, my jaw literally dropped, i love it,im not sure but i think i drooled a little bit...lol, but yeah man im so jealous , i'd love to have that, and i basically look up to you cause of your latest investment.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Almost a Member!

2005 SL55
I drive a 2005 SL 55 with stage 2 Kleemann mods and I love it but the incredible Continental GT made me want to buy one. After fishing in the internet I find very few new Continentals for sale but LOTS of used ones with less than 10,000 miles on them for around 155,000 to 160,000 US. This makes me feel a little uneasy... why so many low mile used GTs, what am I missing here? Anyone have any ideas?
jeff
Old 12-17-2005, 12:27 AM

Cool

look at ANY high end car over $100k and you will see the same thing.. very wealthy deca millionaires into cars buy anything and everything new that's out there.. and remember, they have maybe 6 or 7+ cars already in their stable.. so they don't put much mileage on it.. they got bored with it, only have a 7 car garage <g> and just trade it into the dealer for the newest, hottest thing...

kind of like how women are so into fashions of a certain season.. wealthy guys do the same with cars.. those with no concern for money, fulfill their free time with this kind of hobby.. <g> (not a bad hobby to have)
Old 12-17-2005, 12:26 PM

An Affalterbach Beast & Others
Originally Posted by seattlecarfreak
look at ANY high end car over $100k and you will see the same thing.. very wealthy deca millionaires into cars buy anything and everything new that's out there.. and remember, they have maybe 6 or 7+ cars already in their stable.. so they don't put much mileage on it.. they got bored with it, only have a 7 car garage <g> and just trade it into the dealer for the newest, hottest thing...

kind of like how women are so into fashions of a certain season.. wealthy guys do the same with cars.. those with no concern for money, fulfill their free time with this kind of hobby.. <g> (not a bad hobby to have)
SeattleCarFreak, just curious, what all is done to your 750?
Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM

2006 VW Passat
Dude i love that bentley so much it made it to my desktop(by that bentley i mean yours not just the model)clearly im going over this car
Old 12-27-2005, 05:59 PM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by bounty
Nice Kia!!!!

j/k lovely car pal. White is just so damn sexy and classy.
Without a shadow of doubt, that car is the worst example of tastelessness I have ever seen.

The vile combination of a white exterior, two-tone interior and drug dealer wheels is a masterpiece of crass ugliness.

What is it about Americans that makes you so utterly lacking in style?

Drive that abomination in the UK and, at best, you would be ridiculed.

In fact, there is no way that a Bentley dealer would sell you a car in that special "US spec" because he would never be able to re-sell it when it was
traded in.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:08 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by NeilH
Without a shadow of doubt, that car is the worst example of tastelessness I have ever seen.

The vile combination of a white exterior, two-tone interior and drug dealer wheels is a masterpiece of crass ugliness.

What is it about Americans that makes you so utterly lacking in style?

Drive that abomination in the UK and, at best, you would be ridiculed.

In fact, there is no way that a Bentley dealer would sell you a car in that special "US spec" because he would never be able to re-sell it when it was
traded in.
WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where'd this guy come from? Have you seen the color combinations in Britain? France? Germany? Are you aware that Britain worshipped monochromatic white for 40 years or more? And that they do two-tone like nobody's brother? Are you aware that wheels are like neckties in the fashion world and that many believe that the wilder the tie or wheels the better, the more individual, the car is (especially with the white treatment)? May not be my cup of tea, may not be yours -- but you'll go down in flames, crash, burn, and die comin' on here like that, son!
Nope, not gonna go there...gotta be a 14 year old just starting some ***** 'cause he just noticed that he's got a couple of pubes and he's feeling big.....

Last edited by ClayJ; 12-27-2005 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by ClayJ
WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Where'd this guy come from? Have you seen the color combinations in Britain? France? Germany? Are you aware that Britain worshipped monochromatic white for 40 years or more?
Nope, not gonna go there...gotta be a 14 year old just starting some ***** 'cause he just noticed that he's got a couple of pubes and he's feeling big.....
38 actually (wish I could claim to be in the first flush of puberty but no).

Not sure where you get the monochromatic white statistics from but anyway, that car is so far from monochromatic that it cannot be seen.

ps - yes, i have seen the colour combinations in the Uk as I live here.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:47 PM
ON PROBATION

You weren't at the pub for a few before you posted were you?
Seriously -- beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. A man's personal preferences in music, art, food, women, and cars are just that...personal.
May I make the polite suggestion that you state your views a little less forcefully...and a little more tastefully? I suggest that a "IMO" or "Just doesn't do it for me" or "I think that those wheels are..." might come across a little bit better, a little bit friendlier, in this our forum community. You wouldn't introduce yourself to the guy next to you in the pub who just pulled up in that car that way, would you?
Old 12-27-2005, 06:56 PM

You weren't at the pub for a few before you posted were you?
Seriously -- beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. A man's personal preferences in music, art, food, women, and cars are just that...personal.
May I make the polite suggestion that you state your views a little less forcefully...and a little more tastefully? I suggest that a "IMO" or "Just doesn't do it for me" or "I think that those wheels are..." might come across a little bit better, a little bit friendlier, in this our forum community. You wouldn't introduce yourself to the guy next to you in the pub who just pulled up in that car that way, would you?
I have never seen the point of IMO, etc.

Everything we ever post is "IMO" so why state it?

I am the friendliest person in the world but can't stand bull**** and bollocks.

Old 12-27-2005, 07:03 PM
ON PROBATION

Welcome to the forum.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:07 PM

Thumbs up

Welcome to the forum.
Cheers young man.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT