SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
so we got another hater on our hands... what would you think is an attractive car?

anyways SLVRSL... beautiful car, the owner of the company I formerly worked for(New England Patriots) owned one in a greyish color, he parked it inside of gillette stadium, when he drove it in, I would sit and drool over it for hours, its amazing the workmanship that goes in to it
Old 12-28-2005, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
I agree this is a particularly vile example of the Volkswagen blob.

Ownership is widely regarded here - in the country of its manufacture - as immediately betraying the owner's lack of taste. White does it no favours either and the tan interior is ghastly. Designed by a Belgian, built in The UK by a German company.

Thankfully, most are exported to the US where, as we can see from this thread, they are regarded (incorrectly) as pretty neat. Compared to the junk churned out by GM and Ford, that may be so, but compared to the Aston Martin, Ferrari or Lamborghini you could have bought, this car is a non-starter.

Reminds me of the sort of car a drug dealer in Miami would trade out of.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Word blueSL.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by blueSL
I agree this is a particularly vile example of the Volkswagen blob.

Ownership is widely regarded here - in the country of its manufacture - as immediately betraying the owner's lack of taste. White does it no favours either and the tan interior is ghastly. Designed by a Belgian, built in The UK by a German company.

Thankfully, most are exported to the US where, as we can see from this thread, they are regarded (incorrectly) as pretty neat. Compared to the junk churned out by GM and Ford, that may be so, but compared to the Aston Martin, Ferrari or Lamborghini you could have bought, this car is a non-starter.

Reminds me of the sort of car a drug dealer in Miami would trade out of.
This thread sure turned ugly quick. I love the GT for hat it is: a premium supercoupe that lets arrive in comfort, safety, and style. I'm considering one for my next car.

Perhaps he could have had a Gallardo or Ferrari (as well several others); however those cars in particular have a differnt mission and most examples have only two seats. Although the Lambo can be driven everyday, I don't know that the Ferrari can. Besides, which car would you want to commute to work in everyday when you factor in real life: groceries, children, comfort, quietness, convenience, luxury?

My only gripe about his car is that white is not what I would select and I like the stock wheels; however, there's nothing wrong with a little flash or what I like to call pimpinality. It's his style, let him enjoy it.

Great car
Old 12-28-2005, 01:43 PM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Smile Have you considered Genaddi Design?

To SLVRSL55,

I read in some magazines that a company called "Genaddi Design" can jump the Conti GT's power to 750 Horsepower. Have you considered a further increase in horsepower yet? How much faster is your Conti GT than when it was completely stock? Any estimates of what the zero to 60 and 1/4 mile times were before and after your ECU upgrade?

And don't worry about other people not liking your car ....
In UK they have much more conservative tastes in cars I guess....
People that have spent alot of time in California or Southern Florida can totally understand where you're coming from ...
And if alot of people from other parts of the world had grown up there they would probably understand much better also ......
Old 12-28-2005, 02:27 PM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
To SLVRSL55

Congrats on your Bentley. I do understand why you choose that car, it has a stunning design, the lines are classic, though up to date, and it is an engineering masterpiece. :p

BlueSL & NielH.

I am disapointed the way you to express your opinions. That is not gentlemen like, and since you are British, you off al people should know to behave.
Your rage towards VolksWagen, why blaim SLVRSL55, its not his fault, he just bought the car he liked. You are barking up the wrong tree.

If your car industri wasn´t impotent, if you unions where more flexible, if your politicians would make the right decissions, British car industri would still be British today. Blaim them, not innosent byers.

Try control your frustrations, will you.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Love the mods

The car looks wonderful ... disregard all the negative comments ... its your car and it should look the way you want it.

While it wouldn't be my color preference (if I could afford one) I think the mods you have done are very nice.

At the very least you know you have something that is extremely unique.

My take on cars in this league is that they are more works of art then transportation.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by Jesseliu
The car looks wonderful ... disregard all the negative comments ... its your car and it should look the way you want it.
I agree wholeheartedly, I'm not sure what happened to good old fashioned "agree to disagree", but still be gentleman. This is an adult forum for car enthusiasts so of course tastes will vary, but I do not see the need to attack a person because their choice of modifictions is slightly more aggressive.

To each his own, and VAG based platform or not, I have driven a Continental GT and they are great machines.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Originally Posted by SLcharger

BlueSL & NielH.

I am disapointed the way you to express your opinions. That is not gentlemen like, and since you are British, you off al people should know to behave.
Indeed. You are behaving more like the ignorant Americans.

Last edited by JackStraw; 12-28-2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:15 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by JackStraw
Touche!
Old 12-29-2005, 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lol, i will chime in when this thread turns to a uk/europe bashing thread. Hopefully the EU will have already collapsed by then and some of these CS'ers can go f themselves and stop hating on other peoples vehicles.
Old 12-29-2005, 02:01 AM
ON PROBATION

Hey SLVRSL55- Post again in a few weeks when you've had some more time with her, would ya please?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:38 AM

Do you agree or disagree on my statement ?
Old 12-29-2005, 04:45 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
I drove behind a white one today for at least ten miles...

it is less flashy then the usual silver on this car IMO (from the rear)...but from the side it is still incredible...yes it is a big overpriced coupe partially built by VW...but I would trade my brand new SL for one so quick you would never see me grab the keys out of your hand...its a Bentley GT....are you UK guys nuts? The thing dominates. :v
Old 12-29-2005, 05:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
What morons....yeah, trade the Bentley for a Vauxhall, or whatever garbage you guys drive over there.
Want ugly, check out the Mini Coopers you have over there.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:17 AM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by mjr24
What morons....yeah, trade the Bentley for a Vauxhall, or whatever garbage you guys drive over there.
Want ugly, check out the Mini Coopers you have over there.
Oh, that was really helpful

Look, the Brits still enjoy the pleasure of owning and seeing on the road handmade cars, with handmade interiors, and with handmade exteriors, all of the finest materials - works of automotive art - coachbuilding, like they used to do 50 or more years ago. So yes, the less generous-feeling of the lot may look down their noses at a VW-massive-factory-spit-em-out-luxury-coaches, with a luxury "bespoke" interior that just doesn't compare to a certain degree to the original item, the handbuilt coach.
Want to see gorgeous? Look closely at the interior and exterior of an Aston Martin or a Morgan.... In comparison, the Bentley's handbuilt quality is not there.
Having said that, it is not there in 90% of the cars out there on the road, and I think that the new Continental GT and Flying Spur are gorgeous cars in their own right! So there! I'm rubber and you're glue and anything you say bounces off me and sticks on you!
...let the games continue......
Old 12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
Rofl

Originally Posted by ClayJ
I'm rubber and you're glue and anything you say bounces off me and sticks on you!
ROFL ROFL ROFL
Old 12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by NeilH
Without a shadow of doubt, that car is the worst example of tastelessness I have ever seen.

The vile combination of a white exterior, two-tone interior and drug dealer wheels is a masterpiece of crass ugliness.

What is it about Americans that makes you so utterly lacking in style?

Drive that abomination in the UK and, at best, you would be ridiculed.

In fact, there is no way that a Bentley dealer would sell you a car in that special "US spec" because he would never be able to re-sell it when it was
traded in.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,you Sir,however,show a total lack of class and total lack of proper behavior on a public Forum.
Just a short lesson:if you don't have anything nice to say about someone's pride and joy,especially when the guy went to the trouble of taking pics and downloading them here for the enjoyment of members asking for them,
DON'T SAY ANYTHING!!!KEEP YOUR OPINION TO YOURSELF!!!
Nobody is interested in it anyway.....
Old 12-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Drive that abomination in the UK and, at best, you would be ridiculed
Ya know, that's why USA rocks
A few years back in the magazine called CAR (I'm sure you've heard of it) when they did the PCOTY test where the VX220 won, there was an article about the Ferrari Enzo. One of sentences the writer of the article said was something along the lines of in America (the Enzo was on the streets of New York) people look at the car and say "One day, I'll buy one of those" while back in the UK people say "What a flashy car, let's burn the bloke."
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Ya know, that's why USA rocks
A few years back in the magazine called CAR (I'm sure you've heard of it) when they did the PCOTY test where the VX220 won, there was an article about the Ferrari Enzo. One of sentences the writer of the article said was something along the lines of in America (the Enzo was on the streets of New York) people look at the car and say "One day, I'll buy one of those" while back in the UK people say "What a flashy car, let's burn the bloke."
I'm really sorry to say this but real Brits are no longer there,just some jealous commies and other "small" punks.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 AM

posted by absent
I'm really sorry to say this but real Brits are no longer there,just some jealous commies and other "small" punks.
Now is the time for the "decent" Brits to come forward, and in this forum, to show that not all Brits are like these "out off the line" representetives. Come forward, and hold high Union Jack.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:33 PM
ON PROBATION

I hope this thread doesn't get turned into a nationalities-generalities bashing thread! I like the Continental GT and the new upcoming Flying Spur, our buddy on the forum just took delivery of one - and I'd like to hear all about it and discuss it - not engage in nationalities-generalities bashing! EVERY country has it's *****s and Princes, know what I mean?
Old 01-05-2006, 12:25 PM

Have seem many Conti GT's they look stunning in white and black!! Ignore the senseless comments posted by the Brits.....they are pu**yboys cant handle a bit of bling!! :p