SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55AMG
Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT

Well, I made the leap. As much as I loved my SL55 I felt it was time for a change. Last night I took delivery of a brand new 2006 Bentley Continental GT. Not much to report from just the ride home, but it is certainly a stunning automobile.

Once again, not neccesarily better, but certainly different and (here in Southern California) perhaps a bit less likely to pull up next to one at a stop light.

I just want to thank you all on this board. You're witty, helpful and have a great sense of community. I've really enjoyed being a part of it and will continue to lurk around until I've got reason to be back as a real participant. (Perhaps after the next body style change?)

If you are interested and wouldn't consider it to be too off topic or innapropriate, I'm more than happy to post some pics and comments about the new ride.

Let me know.

Meanwhile, best of luck and thanks to you all.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 PM

2006 Edition CLK 280 Coupe
Ask a silly question - damn right we want pictures. Well at least I do... this is a British car and I'm British... so show me show me show me!

M...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:45 PM

Yerp...

Would love to know your thoughts between the two cars!!

Thanks
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG č la mia Famiglia la Bestia č la mia protezione)
Ditto on the pics...congratulations!!!!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
we need pics!
Old 10-24-2005, 09:10 PM

SLK55, Murcielago
Congrats on the new car!
My fiance has a Cont GT. He drives it so much that I've only been able to drive it a few times but it is a FABULOUS car. Post some pics!!! Drive safe and enjoy.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
Well, I made the leap. As much as I loved my SL55 I felt it was time for a change. Last night I took delivery of a brand new 2006 Bentley Continental GT.
Best of luck! -- Post some pictures ASAP.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
And another California SL owner goes to England for a set of wheels ! Best of luck on what is a gorgeous vehicle ! Please post the pictures ASAP !
Old 10-25-2005, 02:55 PM

2007 Porsche Turbo Cabriolet
I am waiting to make the change, but not until the Rag Top comes out, hopefully mid next year.

I had a hour test of the Coupe and was mighty impressed.

I have placed a deposit with the Dealer.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:09 PM

I'd still have an Aston Martin DB9 over this.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:05 PM

SL55AMG
Well, no pics yet as it's been pretty cruddy weather here in So Cal, but time permitting I'll get them up on Saturday. I do have some initial thoughts on the car, though, and as requested here are some random observations and comparisons to the SL.

The power of this car is impressive given its weight, although I've yet to really get on it. The dealer was pretty convincing about honoring the break-in period and keeping in under 4,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles. My initial reaction is that the SL and GT are both very strong, but in substantially different ways. When getting on the SL55, (Powerchip ECU upgrade, +/- 520 hp) it felt like someone put their foot into the small of my back and gave me a good healthy shove - loved it. The GT feels like a less violent launch, but with an incredible sensation of building speed. As if it's a being slingshot in a pressurized vacuum tube like a cash drop being sent to the manager at a Home Depot! Hard to really describe the difference. One seemed to be a push, the other a pull. No doubt the difference between a supercharger and twin turbos. My guess is that it's likely a similar comparison to the different acceleration characteristics between the SL55 and SL65 (or maybe SL600 if you want a bit more even hp comparison).

As for engine sound, I was pleasantly surprised. One of my favorite things about the SL55 was that big throaty roar emanating from the car as it gets up on its haunches and leaps forward. While a bit more subdued (so far, that is -- remember I've yet to stomp on it) the GT engine sound is deep, bellowing and wholly appropriate for a 200 mph supercar.

Handling and feel are other areas that impress. It's no doubt a heavier car than the SL but the feedback through the wheel somehow has you more engaged in the driving experience. Yes, this may be my new papa nerves, but the steering is heavier, more deliberate and --to my taste-- sportier than the SL's somewhat detached handling nature. I always felt that the SL's handling feel was not at peak until you really pushed the car. Purposeful, no doubt, as that's what makes it a well mannered tourer at one moment and true sports car the next. While in the comfort mode range, the GT's steering is comfortable but highly responsive. Perhaps more than the SL. In the sports mode ranges, though, it really becomes a very sporting feel, even at lower speeds. It may be my imagination but there appears to be a correlation between suspension adjustment and steering wheel feedback. I don't recall that sensation from the SL. Keep in mind that I'm already used to lots of road feel, given the low profile 20's on my SL. I believe this to be a pretty even keel comparison, given that my GT is equipped with 22" HRE 940's... an equally as aggressive fitment as what I had on the AMG.

The immediate reaction also might be that this car, as big as it is, just won't handle the twisties like the SL. While I didn't have a clock on it, I took it out into the canyons that were my favorite SL stomping grounds and the car most certainly held its own. The sensation is that it's not as fast because it just doesn't seem to be working as hard. This Continental is certainly no slouch and at similar mph seems to have less body roll and sits flatter in the turns. Maybe a result of all wheel drive. I don't know. Only time, experience and a direct comparison will tell which is faster, but this is certainly not a one-trick pony.

OK, on to fit and finish. Wow. Let me say that again. WOW. Definitely a different level than the MB. Not that the SL was poor, it most certainly was not. But in the Bentley, leather and wood abounds everywhere and the stitching and craft work is just stunning. The vavona wood is book-matched on the dash so well that it looks better than my Gibson Ten Top '59 re-issue Les Paul. The seats are incredibly comfortable, fully adjustable to a level even beyond the SL, albeit a bit stiffer leather than the Nappa I'm used to. The unique color combo (I got Ochre main hides with Saddle secondary) makes for a very unique bespoke look.

The electronics and driver's controls are pretty impressive and amazingly similar in feature set to the MB. The same ability to choose different feature screens between the main screen and the driver's dash read-out. Tire pressure monitoring. A great Bluetooth phone system with wireless privacy hand set (this features a new Bluetooth technology called rSAT that allows FULL integration with your phone and the car... the problem is that only two US phone models have it!) It has ride height level controls, adjustable suspension, wing deployment... basically the GT has all the goods of the MB, plus a few nice additional convenience features. A few key differences in my book are that the suspension has a fairly good range of adjustment, rather than a simple S or C setting. On the down side, while ride height is adjustable, it is speed sensitive and rises and falls (within a selected range) based on motion. The downside? When the car is parked it appears to be too high. I miss the tight lowered look of my SL with just a two finger gap between body and tires. The 2006 also now has the equivalent of keyless go and soft close doors like the CL and S. The only noticeable absence is distronic and cooled seats.

A few minor complaints on the GT. (And I do mean minor.) There's no keypad for the phone. You need to use the rotary multi-function dial (a leaps and bounds improvement from BMW's iDrive, but still not as easy as punching a keypad). I have discovered, though, that the voice-activated phone is VERY good, so perhaps they thought that the touch pad was redundant. Second, the voice activation controls only the phone, unlike the MB which controlled phone, CD, radio, etc. Another soft spot is the Nav system. While it's better than the MB and more intuitive, it does not have "points of interest" nor do street names appear on the map unless you go to an info screen. It's also surprisingly, CD based, although they do give you CD's for the entire USA. Lastly, no stock Satellite radio or iPod interface. Luckily I've got a good sound guy that will overcome these obstacles, but all in all, they would have been welcome touches.

On the subject of the sound, the stereo system is really quite phenomenal. Not what an audiophile who's ready to spend $30K aftermarket could live with, but to me (and I do have at least some modicum of audiophile DNA coursing through my veins) it's just fine. Even my installer said that without substantial investment it was unlikely he could get it to sound better. Certainly higher quality than even my upgraded system in the SL... better than the Lexus Mark Levinson... the Nakamichi. Really, the best stock sound system in any car I've been familiar with.

The Bentley Continental GT is a truly stunning world class vehicle, as was my SL55. Different than my SL, not better. They both have different purposes and I wish I had the garage space and the cash flow to keep both. For now, though, when it comes to open air riding I guess I'll get my thrills on two wheels. When it comes to the open road, though, this is likely my E-ticket ride for the foreseeable future. It’s got just about everything I need from power to handling, comfort to exclusivity.

It’s a very understatedly elegant automobile. Really only noticed by those in the know. Most specifically, car enthusiasts, famous rappers and that guy at Pep Boys who freaked out and ran outside when I pulled up to buy a polishing cloth. My first day out I got the “thumbs up” from people driving everything from new Corvettes to Vipers; SL65's to Lambo’s... even a nod from a guy driving a tricked out Hot Rod.

After all the accolades I was feeling a bit full of myself as I pulled into a mall. A very nice looking young woman was obviously eyeing the car as she walked through the parking lot. She stopped to gaze. "Nice car, eh?" I said, with a knowing grin.

"Sure is”, she replied. “Is that the new Kia I've been hearing about?"

Note to self. Place ego at door before entering vehicle. :o

Last edited by SLVRSL55; 10-26-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:50 PM

Great write-up sounds like a remarkable car to own.

May I ask, how much did you have to part with? On lease? if so, how much?

and WOW.. I am jealous!!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:02 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by matsna
Great write-up sounds like a remarkable car to own.

May I ask, how much did you have to part with? On lease? if so, how much?

and WOW.. I am jealous!!
In very general terms with a deal at MSRP, a 3-year lease will run you roughly $3,300. A 60 mos loan with 15% down runs about the same.

The price, though, is only one hurdle to overcome. The problem is really finding the right car. Most dealers have no inventory of new GT's as Bentley has, over the last few months, shifted the majority of their production to manufacturing the Flying Spur. You'll find a few pre-owned 2004 and 2005's (mostly with pretty low mileage) available at dealers and elsewhere, selling for $155 - $169, depending on the car, year and mileage. Unfortunately, that's pretty much their original MSRP.

If you do find a new 2005 on the lot, they'll likely sell it to you at MSRP or thereabouts, but they are usually in very funky color combos, or they wouldn't still be available. If there's an unclaimed 2006, I've heard asking prices between $10K and $30K over sticker. What they actually get, who knows.

Any dealer will allow you to order the car with a $5,000 deposit and sell it to you at MSRP. I'm told that orders placed today arrive late March or early April, 2006. The catch? They won't protect you from a price increase. If Bentley raises the MSRP before you take delivery, you pay the higher price.

My story? With great seller's remorse from having just turned over my SL55 to its new owner, I decided to make myself feel better by "going shopping". I found myself at Beverly Hills Bentley, watching them prep a stunning looking brand new 2006 Glacier White GT for delivery. The guy who ordered it arrived shortly thereafter with a wife who quite evidently hadn't been apprised that what he ordered was a two door coupe. She basically pulled him by the scruff of the neck to the 4-door Flying spur, ultimately leaving the GT unclaimed. The sales guy who I'd been working with said he needed to call the next few people on the waiting list to see if they wanted to jump ahead in line. I told him I'd be a buyer for the next 24 hours, but after that was planning on getting a low miles '05 (true) from another dealer. Apparently the others on the list understandably wanted to stick with their personal configs and color choices. He called me the next day (after what seemed to be an excruciatingly long wait) to say that he would sell me the car at MSRP if I acted that day. Suffices to say I drove it home that evening. I feel like I either saved 6-months or up to $30K, depending on how you look at it.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded answer, but there you have it. I'll get pics up soon.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:18 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by matsna
I'd still have an Aston Martin DB9 over this.

AM DB9 is great , but can't go wrong with the Bently after what the Germans have done a great job..
Old 10-28-2005, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
Pics please...
Old 10-29-2005, 03:25 PM

SL55AMG
Exterior...
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-front.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-3-4-dr.side.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-3-4-front-l.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-ext-dr-side.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-headlights.jpg  

Old 10-29-2005, 03:28 PM

SL55AMG
Interior...
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-int.pass.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-int1.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-int2.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-int3.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-int4.jpg  

Old 10-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Nice Kia!!!!

j/k lovely car pal. White is just so damn sexy and classy.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:35 PM

SL55AMG
Close-ups...
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-205warning.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-wheel2.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-stick.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-console.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-caliper.jpg  

Old 10-29-2005, 03:47 PM

2005 Mercedes C-Class
Did you get free Breitling watches with the car? I've heard that you get a Breitling GT watches with Continental GT.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:05 PM

SL55AMG
Oops... forgot her backside...
Attached Thumbnails Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-butt.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-back.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-3-4-back.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-wing.jpg   Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT-wing2.jpg  

Old 10-29-2005, 04:08 PM

SL55AMG
Originally Posted by elbimmer
Did you get free Breitling watches with the car? I've heard that you get a Breitling GT watches with Continental GT.
Uhhh...yeah. They are free with a small $6,500 processing fee.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S500/W220/2000
That is one beautiful automobile! I am so jealous... I didn't even know they made a two-door.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by SLVRSL55
Exterior...
Madonn’ she’s gorgeous… Che bella, congratulazioni - buon fortuna! Hey listen, I got an idea for a movie – only stipulation, Scorsese directs. Can you get me a sit down or a walk and talk? -- and yet again !
Old 11-01-2005, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
nice car, nicer wheels.
for me it looks too much like a jag though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Goodbye SL55, Hello Continental GT