SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: New Kid on the Block

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55
New Kid on the Block

Hello everyone. I've been lurking here for about two months just gathering up info. Today I picked up my 04 SL55 and she is really outstanding. I traded my tried and true 01 500SL on her and couldn't be happier.

I hope to get to know you guys more over the next few months as I get used to the car and decide if there are any Mod's that make sense.

Take care,

Joe Cortney
Dallas, TX
Old 12-09-2005, 10:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Congrats on the car. Good to see another member from DFW. Photos?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:42 AM

SL55AMG, ML420CDI, E320TCDI
Hi JCortney

Welcome aboard.

Congrats on the car, you certainly bought the right model.

Color, wheels, extras ?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55
As soon as the horrible weather clears I'll take some pics. Here's her vitals:

04 SL55 Diamond Silver/Charcoal

Just came back from Earmark today and they installed my V1 (for my money, the best radar dectector on the planet) and gave me power plugs in the glove box (for my IPod) and another in the center consol for my Razor.

The car is going to need tires very soon and was wondering what my plus size choices are? I'll probably go to 19's. Any suggestion on what I can fit under there that won't rub?

Thanks guys,

Joe Cortney
Dallas, TX
Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Joe, did you have the V1 installed in Dallas? If so, please let me know where. You can send a PM if you don't want to broadcast the name.

As far as tires go, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 seem to be the tire of choice. Tire Rack and Discount Tire have them in the standard and one size larger. Ask them about the 19's as well. I can't help you there.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by can drive 55
Joe, did you have the V1 installed in Dallas? If so, please let me know where. You can send a PM if you don't want to broadcast the name.
I've used Earmark for years for all my Stereo and internal mods. They do amazing work. There are two locations, one near Highland Park and the other in Plano.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
Originally Posted by JCortney
As soon as the horrible weather clears I'll take some pics. Here's her vitals:

04 SL55 Diamond Silver/Charcoal

Just came back from Earmark today and they installed my V1 (for my money, the best radar dectector on the planet) and gave me power plugs in the glove box (for my IPod) and another in the center consol for my Razor.

The car is going to need tires very soon and was wondering what my plus size choices are? I'll probably go to 19's. Any suggestion on what I can fit under there that won't rub?

Thanks guys,

Joe Cortney
Dallas, TX

Joe:

I have a set of the AMG wheels from the SL65 (I forget the model #). I also use PS2 Michelins. The car handles great with that set up. I did have 3 tires fail, but Michelin bought me a new set.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks Joe. Did you have to furnish a V1 or can they be purchased from them? Also, what do they install? Do they make it hidden or do they just install the power cord, or something else entirely? Thanks again.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:45 AM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55
Thanks Joe. Did you have to furnish a V1 or can they be purchased from them? Also, what do they install? Do they make it hidden or do they just install the power cord, or something else entirely? Thanks again.
The V-1 is only sold by Valentine (http://www.valentine1.com/). If you are not familar with the unit, it looks forward, backward and to the side. It's range over hills and around corners is amazing (given that the radar shoots someone else first). It also has a counter that tells you how many signals you are receiving.

If you don't mind the waste of bandwidth, let me tell you why this is important. I don't know if you guys in other parts of the country have these but, here in Dallas, the PD has these small trailers that have a large LED display and a radar gun. They put them in areas that people tend to speed and it shows your speed as you approach the trailer. It's an attempt to get you to slow down. Well, they had this unit on one of the main streets near my house. The first time coming over the hill the V1 screaming got me on the brakes. After about four days no one paid attention to it anymore. The next morning, I'm heading down the street and the V1 goes off and I happen to look at the display and it has a "2" in the signal display. I stand on the brakes and over the hill, lo and behold, standing behind the trailer is the Dallas PD with a hand held radar gun and a buddy just behind them pulling over car after car with radar detectors sittting on their dash. Pretty sneaky and a good revenue day for the City of Dallas.

I had them put the V1 just to the right of the rear view mirror, up high. It has a good shot out of the back window and is in a spot that is very hard to spot by theives. Installation took them all of about 30 minutes.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 AM

2005 SL 500
I think one of these things might be very useful. Good story, as far as I know, we don't have anything like that in NJ.

Thanks for information.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Joe, I am familiar with the V1. I bought one in 1994 when they first entered the market. My unit has been upgraded twice since then. I still have it. Its current home is the glove box of my E55. I place it on the windshield when I think I am going to need it. A hard wire install would be nice. It appears to me that the shop did a hard wire install on your car. Is that right? Thanks.

I was thinking that you had a custon install, like etching the rear view mirror and placing the display there or maybe installing the lights in the dash. I have seen some of these online and they look great, but are they worth the money? No to me.

I don't think Arlington PD has the ingenuity to pull a trick like you saw in Dallas. They just rely on the laser and they use it everywhere. Deferred adjudication has been my friend.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55
Red face

Joe, A hard wire install would be nice. It appears to me that the shop did a hard wire install on your car. Is that right? Thanks.

Yes, it is hard wired in and pretty much invisible until you need it.

I was thinking that you had a custon install, like etching the rear view mirror and placing the display there or maybe installing the lights in the dash. I have seen some of these online and they look great, but are they worth the money? No to me.

I've seen the etched rear view mirror. When I had my Porche 996 I went and looked at it but just thought it wasn't worth the $$$.

Deferred adjudication has been my friend.

It's an amazing law isn't it? A rich man's "get out of jail free" card. You are only supposed to be able to do 1 a year but the courts don't talk to each other. I've even had three active at the same time in Dallas. They don't even talk to themselves.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Thanks for those answers. I agree that the mirror install is a waste of money. I think I will get a new V1 and have them do the hardwire install and be done with it.

You have me beat by a long shot on the deferred adjudication. My record is 2 at a time and they were in 2 cities. Good going.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
Joe

Have you visited the E55 AMG forum yet? It is very active and there is a wealth of knowledge there. There are a lot of SL owners there, too. Also, the Off Topic forum is a busy place and there are some interesting topics being discussed. Welcome again and maybe someday we can meet for coffee or something.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 SL55

You have me beat by a long shot on the deferred adjudication. My record is 2 at a time and they were in 2 cities. Good going.
Haven't had a ticket for about 3 years (touch wood) but before that, every one I got was because I didn't pay attention to the V1. If it gives you a Ka alert, there's a cop. Period.

Take care,
Old 12-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

2005 E55
I have gone almost a year myself. I do not like laser, though. My last 3 tickets were laser and the detector made no difference. Damn, I hate those things. I think I will go outside and do some yard work. See you later and be sure to visit the E55 and off topic forums.