SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Priority Listing for SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2001, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Priority Listing for SL55

I recently stopped by my dealer to ask about turnaround times on SL55's. Informing him I was interested in putting down a deposit, regardless of the wait, he none too courteously informed me that I shouldn't waste my time.

He stated that their policy for the SL's will be to offer spots for SL500's, and as any SL55's come in (he claimed they have no idea how many they'll receive) they would offer them to those on the waiting list based on the number of MB's each listed person has bought at the dealer over the years. Essentially telling me that since I've only bought one CLK55 there, that I'll never be able to get an SL55.

I have no reservations about buying an SL55 out of state.
But what really irks me is that then my dealer won't even so much as provide me with a loaner when my car is in for service.
So..."we won't sell you the car you want, but don't even think about getting one somewhere else" seems to be the message here.

Is this standard operating procedure in CA and FL???
Old 12-14-2001, 12:10 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's the name of this dealer and where are they located?
Old 12-14-2001, 02:05 PM

I won't slam the dealer by name, but suffice it to say it's a midwestern dealer in a metro of 1.5-2 million people.
Old 12-14-2001, 05:15 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like this dealer is full of it! This is not a standard procedure. I asked my dealer that if wanted to get one he would just put me on the list and not base me on how many no of Benzs i bought just to get on the waiting list.
Old 12-15-2001, 02:33 PM

ML 500 Sport
When I placed my deposit my dealer confirmed that the date of my deposit determines my place in line, nothing else.
Old 12-15-2001, 09:35 PM

2002 Mercedes-Benz C230 Kompressor Sports Coupe
Originally posted by amg55
I won't slam the dealer by name, but suffice it to say it's a midwestern dealer in a metro of 1.5-2 million people.
Why protect the dealer? Let him live with the results of his behavior/attitude. A good dealer should be promoted to all and so should a bad dealer.

Rick
Old 12-15-2001, 10:27 PM

'01 E55 AMG - Brilliant Silver (very rare)/ Charcoal, K2a
amg55: I've heard many stories over the past few years of dealers doing the same thing with other 55's ... and many other dealers who were more on the level: simply put, like in any other business ... there are those who do it right ... and those that do it their own way.

I live in FL ... and bought my Beast in NJ!? At the time i purchased my ride, $5K markups were the norm across the country. I wasn't having any of that. Got a cancellation from a dealer in NJ ... brought the deal to my local dealer in FL ... they refused to match it ... their car sat for 9-months! But, I do use that FL dealer for service ... just had my B-Service done in FL ... and they treated me like I purchased my car from them.

I'm with Rick on this one: Screw-'em! Slam 'em! You spent a lot of money on your car ... and they still treat you like a stranger? Only way they're going to change is to hold their feet to the fire!

jco-amg: LOVE the sig-pic !!!
Old 12-17-2001, 01:39 AM

2004 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 E320, 2002 ML320, 1986 Porsche 944
Yeah, that's really rude of the dealer.

Wow, that SL55 is really sweet. Unfortunately, I'll have to pass because of the predictable major premium over MSRP.

But, the SL500 is in my candidate list for when I replace my SLK32 in less than 3 years!
Old 12-28-2001, 11:31 PM

An interesting bit of follow-up (I wrote the original post), I talked with the next nearest major MB dealer down the interstate, and they were glad to write me an order for an SL55.
On my way home from work this week, I stopped into the dealer I was complaining about above to ask about probable residual values for the '03 SL55. The sales guy I spoke with has been there only a couple years. He was very polite, friendly, helpful even though it was closing time.

I asked in passing why (in his opinion) the dealer was completely unwilling to write an order for an SL55 for someone interested in spending $118,000 there.
He acted surprised. Left and talked with someone in management for a few minutes then returned to say he's be glad to write me a specific order, at MSRP, for an SL55.

So I asked why the widely discrepant responses to my request for an SL55. His answer? "You know, I get so tired of the old school salesman's crap around here. Some of these older guys act like they're doing customers a favor by letting them buy an MB. These guys really aggravate me sometimes". He suggested the 20+ year sales veteran I spoke with originally was probably just trying to shoo me away since I'm not one of his 'regulars' and he couldn't be sure I'd actually take delivery. Didn't want to be bothered.

Just another example (similar to many I've read at this site) of stellar customer relations practices at MB dealers (sarcasm squared).

Anyone here ever dealt with sales personnel at Lexus?
Night and day difference.
Too bad they're stuck selling such boring cars.

(BTW, I'll probably go ahead and order from the guy who bothered to spend 5 minutes assisting me. Not that it'll impact the other guy's behavior).