SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Zaino a new SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zaino a new SL55

On Saturday I’m taking delivery of my new SL55 AMG with the Performance Package. I really want to Zaino it right away but I’m not sure if that is the best thing to do to the paintwork. Am I supposed to wait a couple of month before doing anything to the paintwork or is it safe to do Zaino right away?

Regards
- Per
Old 04-24-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Just Zaino it up right away.... No need to wait. I mean it is a new car but the paint is definitely cured and ready to go after being shipped around a bit.

I'm not a big fan of Zaino but to each his own. Oh but strip the dealer applied wax before you apply it and you may want to clay it if it feels a little rough. Consider the wax coat like a layer of paint. Its what is underneath that really counts. Not saying it will be dirty but the delivery tape and atmosphere can leave some nasty stuff on the paint pretty quickly.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think you can skip the claying, I really really doubt that there will be embedded particles in your paint.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:17 PM

'08 Audi R8, '09 SL63, '10 GLK, '10 ML550
I took delivery of a 2006 SL500 at the Mercedes factory in Germany this past February. A factory employee had already waxed my new car prior to my taking delivery of it. So, in the case of my car, it was waxed right after production.

I saw hundreds upon hundreds of brand new Mercedes cars sitting in massive-sized parking lots at the factory in Germany, all awaiting for truck/train shipment. They were sitting exposed to the wind/rain/snow for days on end (you could tell because they were really filthy). It was amazing to see all those brand new, beautiful, but filthy Mercedes. Actually, some of the cars go directly from the production line to train cars, but for some reason, others sit out in the open and bake in filth for days.

I am sure it is not commonplace to wax every car that leaves the production line, but after seeing all those beautiful cars sitting out in the open, I was happy that my car was protected immediately after production and prior to its eight-week-long shipment from place to place to place.

Old 04-25-2006, 12:12 AM

why arent you a fan of zaino?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
Ricky,

I really wouldn't skip the claying, the car has been out in the hands of nature most of the time since after production, except for when it's on the boat. There might be embedded dirt in the car that is not noticeable with naked eye.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
Ricky,

I really wouldn't skip the claying, the car has been out in the hands of nature most of the time since after production, except for when it's on the boat. There might be embedded dirt in the car that is not noticeable with naked eye.
I thought after they were made for shipping they were covered up with that sticky stuff?

You know, the 'paper' you have to peel off the car?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:53 AM

Turbo
Per - where in sweden are you from? What's the spec of your 55, colour etc?
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I thought after they were made for shipping they were covered up with that sticky stuff?

they are, I also see no need for the clay. Up to you though. Don't forget, clay is very abrasive and should only be done when needed.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal

The entire exterior is not covered by the tape. Once the dealer takes delivery of the car it goes through the PDI inspection and then it gets detailed. After the tape sits on the car for a period of time, the adhesive gets stuck to the paint after removal. If this is not taken off by the detailer, it will catch plenty of dirt. Besides that, after the PDI/make ready is completed it could sit on the lot for weeks until purchase.

The reason I suggested the clay is because you might not know how long the car was sitting in inventory before it was sold. Also, I have seen some cars from other dealers that were "new" yet you could see lines of dirt where contaminants had stuck to the glue from the protective tape. It just depends on what each specific car might need.

The clay you buy off of the shelf is not very abrasive at all. If you buy it from a professional detail supply company, it comes in a few different consistencies. As long as you use plenty of lubricant, like your car wash soap/water it will be fine. The most noticeable paint color to see the effects of clay on is white. It will make the paint look wet sanded if done to heavily.

I think Zaino is ok. I think it is overpriced and I find it difficult on light colors to actually see how much has been applied. Same goes for when you remove it. As good if not better results can be attained with plenty of waxes as long as the paint is taken care of and is clean when the wax is applied. I used to use Meguiars NXT, it works great just doesnt last very long. As far as other "high end" waxes/polishes go, I have heard good things about Poorboys and Natty's. Get some microfiber towells too.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:27 PM

E55
Originally Posted by relisysj4
why arent you a fan of zaino?

I used zaino for a long time until i found Adams Polishes. They are awesome!! So much easier to use and the results are amazing!!

Has anyone else ever used them??
Old 04-26-2006, 06:35 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Griffin337
I used zaino for a long time until i found Adams Polishes. They are awesome!! So much easier to use and the results are amazing!!

Has anyone else ever used them??

Great news.. I emailed adam earlier to see if he would give everyone a discount .. Try it you wont be sorry!! do a search for adams polishes.. when your ready to check out use mbworld as a discount code! Hope you all enjoy!!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Zlaatan
Per - where in sweden are you from? What's the spec of your 55, colour etc?
I didn’t do the Designo styling but pretty much the rest I think. The car is black metallic with black interior.

I’m very curious to see and test the Performance Package. It’s the first SL55 with the Performance Package ever sold to Sweden so the registration of the car will take two weeks instead of one day. Because of that I will not get the car tomorrow :-(, but hopefully mid next week. I’m sure you know about Swedish bureaucracy!

Regards
- Per