SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question to those who lowered their car with Star Computer at the dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 09:44 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL/M6
Question to those who lowered their car with Star Computer at the dealer

Each tech has to figure out the parameters to their best extent, almost eyeing it out; or is there a way to tell him what numbers are most efficient for the lowest drop still above the bumper stops...?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
From what I understood from AMG who lowered mine it is trial and error for eacht car. The lowering must not trigger fault codes and the tolerance is different with every car.
Old 07-06-2006, 03:09 PM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
dealer lowering

you have to make SURE the guy knows what he's doing. most of the time, they have to eyeball it, but you can see the problems that can cause. i think they change certain voltages so it will trick the car to think it's sitting standard height when it's actually sitting a little lower. make sure you don't lower it TOO much or you'll have the worst bumpy ride ever. you're better off with spending more money and getting a lowering module such as kleeman. but, some dealers can do it well so you just have to use your judgment.
Old 07-06-2006, 05:09 PM
JR.

fast cars and faster motorcycles ..
this is what a 6 speedonline member told me.. his screen name is 93 R1 and i believe that he is/was a MB tech..

re: ride height

Dear R1,
after reading what you wrote, i am confused, so i got out my tape measure and the owners manual.. here's what i found..
Front:
when the car is not running, space height is about 1 7/8"...

A. when it is running and in gear, it is 1 1/2"
(seems like this should have gone lower)
Rear:
when the car is not running, space height is about 2 1/16"

B. when it is running and in gear, it is 1"

the owners manual says: "the vehicle ride height is raised or lowered according to the selected level setting and to the vehicle speed. .. With increasing speed, ride height is reduced by up to approximately 1" (25mm) With decreasing speed, the ride height is again raised to the selected vehicle level"
so in effect, if my mercedes dealer reprograms my car, it will drop to the lowest ride height available (factory programmed - approx. 70 to 75 mph) and stay there... it will not rise when i drive slowly or turn the car off... it will STAY at the lowest height unless i reprogram it or use the vehicle level control switch.. which is what i want..
what do you think?
thanks,

JR

additionally,
if i use level one height increase (one light)
the front is increased to 2 5/8"
and the rear is increased to 2 3/4"
if i use level two height increase (two lights)
the front is increased to 2 7/8"
and the rear is increased to 3 1/2"
Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
My tech can drop the car to perfect level, but when he takes off the comp. it wont stay down...he needs the exact perimeters...anyone know what I should tell him?
Old 07-06-2006, 10:01 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
The tech tried for 2 hours to make it stick, but the comp kept on raising it.....the first time he did it a few days back my car DID lower a very small amount and it was very noticeable to me looks and driving wise...I then got greedy and wanted two fingers height front and back so I took it back in....I just got it back and its raised completely to stock again...I should have left it how it was.

Somehow the comp allowed a minor lowering but raised it all the way after trying to go lower than that.

Anyone know how to trick the comp. on a 05 or at least have some idea of what your tech did voltage wise?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:00 PM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Bump
Old 07-18-2006, 11:42 AM

CLS500, CLK500
Lowering with Star at the dealer

Sorry to say... the AirMatic will not allow everything from Star. The amount of lowering you are looking for must be done with a lowering module or mechanical links.

Check out the RennTech Digitally Adjustable (each wheel) lowering module, they also posted the user manuals:
http://www.renntechmercedes.com/Show_Sus_Low.html
Old 07-18-2006, 02:15 PM

Take it to Ron's Tires and Wheels in Ventura. They'll lower it with brackets for $500.

Ask for Ron and tell them Jimmy sent you.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:21 PM

SL55
Did anyone get their sl 55 lowered successfully at an MBZ dealer yet. Anyone in So Cal?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by adidadi
Did anyone get their sl 55 lowered successfully at an MBZ dealer yet. Anyone in So Cal?

i have. it was a very pleasant experience too. no hassles, no problems, looks good. encino, ca.

https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-sl63-amg-sl65-amg-r230/156496-new-additon-family.html
Old 07-24-2006, 09:22 PM

SL55
Your set up seems incredible. Could you please tell me where you had it done, what was involved and how much? Also, did it affect the ride? Thank you.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
none
Just buy the links.. if something breaks you can return to stock and the dealer will not know.

Hacking up the wire harness with a module achieves the same result as a using the links. Both ride EXACTLY the same and will shorten the suspension life.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by adidadi
Your set up seems incredible. Could you please tell me where you had it done, what was involved and how much? Also, did it affect the ride? Thank you.
are you talking to me adidadi? if you are, there wasn't much to it. i talked to a guy in service at my local dealer. it's a "no no" for the dealer to do that so he had to do it without anyone knowing. i just took the car to him and he called me when it was done (about 3-4 hours). he had to reprogram the whole computer to reposition the ride height for each wheel. then after he calibrates the ride height, he did an alignment for me to make sure the car rides straight. the only thing is when you lower any car, you do feel more bumps on the road. it's not as smooth as before but the SL isn't known for a smooth ride like cadillac or lexus anyways. i paid $500 for it but i feel that it's worth every penny considering lowering modules are minimum $1200ish. i can still ride it in 3 different heights. so i can raise it when i go into a steep driveway or drive in bumpy conditions. PM me if you're interested. i can give my guy a call.