SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL55 Mod Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 Mod Advice

Hello all. I'm a new owner of a 2004 SL55. I'm interested in getting it modified for more power, but I'm honestly at a loss where to start. This is my first Mercedes.

I've looked into getting a Kleemann kit installed (K1). Is this a good company / product / starting point? I'd also like a full exhaust upgrade. The other question you can most likely help me with is what cost should I be looking at. The place I've received quotes from were very high (5k).

While this is the first MB I'm getting into, I'm an old car nut. I'm constantly working on and improving engines. I also run a Pro Mod dragcar, and am building a 63 Vette Pro Dragster. The amount they want for a pulley is more than custom built and ceramic coated pipes for my BDS blow big block. While I don't have trouble paying for it, I try not to be stupid when possible (not always possible for me anyway) Perhaps there's something I missing / or simply low demand.

The LSD / trac control is a big issue to me as well.

Are these products available stand alone where my people can install? Perhaps there's a forum vendor that might offer what I'm looking for.

Sorry for the long post, but your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Joe, what's up, welcome to MBWorld.org
Take that as my formal welcome and give me a few minutes to type up a response
Old 07-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by JosephGTS
Hello all. I'm a new owner of a 2004 SL55. I'm interested in getting it modified for more power, but I'm honestly at a loss where to start. This is my first Mercedes.
Wicked, don't forget to post pictures of your SL. No matter how many I see or however many times I look in the garage, it's just a beautiful car. The most beautiful car that was ever made and that exists in my opinion. The SL500 was my dads first Mercedes as well!

I've looked into getting a Kleemann kit installed (K1). Is this a good company / product / starting point? I'd also like a full exhaust upgrade. The other question you can most likely help me with is what cost should I be looking at. The place I've received quotes from were very high (5k).
Kleemann is a very reputable company with a solid background on working on these cars. One of the biggest cars I remember was Timsters CLK55 that was totally Kleemannized up. So was Ben's CLK430 with some incredible output to the wheels done by Evosport. If I were you, I wouldn't think twice and I'd go ahead and do the mods. Better yet, go the entire way with the K4 package (okay this is kinda far.. ) and send your car to Colorado (where Cory and Brandon are) and get your car worked on by the true professionals that know the car inside out (I'm not kidding here). Get your prices from a few forum sponsors (we have many) and compare. If you want the final deal though, get it straight from Kleemann in Colorado and ship the car to them for the work. Trust me, you'll LOVE it.

While this is the first MB I'm getting into, I'm an old car nut. I'm constantly working on and improving engines. I also run a Pro Mod dragcar, and am building a 63 Vette Pro Dragster. The amount they want for a pulley is more than custom built and ceramic coated pipes for my BDS blow big block. While I don't have trouble paying for it, I try not to be stupid when possible (not always possible for me anyway) Perhaps there's something I missing / or simply low demand.
Very low demand on these products. It's not often that a vendor will quote you above MSRP these days because of the ease of getting multiple quotes at one time from variou dealers across the country.

The LSD / trac control is a big issue to me as well.
Kleemann has an LSD that the E55 guys love.

Are these products available stand alone where my people can install? Perhaps there's a forum vendor that might offer what I'm looking for.
You can get them alone and if you think you have the knowledge to do it yourself, be my guest. Take pictures But honestly get yoru car shipped to the pros. Even better -- if you live on the west coast, send your car to Evosport (www.evosport.com) and if you're anywhere else, send it to Kleemann directly. There's nothing better than having your car worked on, like I said before, by the pros. Evosport.. if I remember right, was the first distributor for Kleemann in America (I think...)

Sorry for the long post, but your help is greatly appreciated.
My posts are in red.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG, 2006 Range Rover Sport with Kahn Design Package
First of all, congratulations! And now you should post some pictures. Where are you located?
Old 07-14-2006, 07:36 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Kleeman all the way! My K2 before and after dynos were spot on. See the K2 thread. And pics of course.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:50 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm happy to have found you guys.

Ricky, I live in Huntsville Alabama, but believe it or not I drove to SUGARLAND (right south of Houston) to pick up my car. What a small world we live in.

I'm more than happy to send the car to Colorado if I can get the best bet there. If I had my guys do the work I would have to omit some of the scope to feel safe about it. Were can I find info for Cory and Brandon?

Thanks again for the help, I'll do my best to post up some pictures tonight.

Joseph
Old 07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Wow what a small world. I'm in New Territory in Sugarland. Mercedes of Sugar Land is right next door! (If I really wanted, I could bike there)

KLEEMANN Inc. USA
3390-B Fillmore Ridge Heights
Colorado Springs
CO 80907
Tel.: +1 719 473 6441
Fax: +1 719 578 0345

Talk to Brandon or Cory, tell them you got sent here by me through mbworld.org
Old 07-14-2006, 03:38 PM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
The Kleemann website has a list of shops around the country that are certified to do installs.

If you look, there might be someone closer to you.

I live in central louisiana and had to drive to Atlanta for mine. That wasnt too bad. When I had it taken off, there was an installer/deinstaller in Dallas, making the trip a bit shorter.

http://kleemann.dk/site/Main/finddealer/nsa