SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question from a Newbie...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Question from a Newbie...

Hello, I'm a newbie in the Mercedes Benz world. I'm on the waiting list for a 997TT which by the way is a looooooong list alright. After a test drive in a 2007 SL550 last night, I think I'm changing my mind and contemplating on ordering a SL55 AMG which I was told by the dealer could take 90 days.

I've been to this site and others, read a lot of posts and am learning quite a lot from this forum. I still am not that familiar with the different model nomenclature such as R230, W220, W221, etc.

One immediate question I have as I'm trying to configure what I want on the SL55 AMG is option 030 which is roughly $14K. Isn't the AMG package already in the SL55 AMG? If not, then what is extra if you get the 030 package? Are these extras worth the $14K?

Thanks in advance...

bari
Old 07-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

'04 M3 & '05 645ci
The AMG package is already in the SL55. The 030 is the performance package which includes new 19" wheels & tires, upgraded differential, firmer "Nurburgring" suspension, "Safety" front apron, alcantara steering wheel, 186mph top speed and AMG Compound brakes
Old 07-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think 030 also includes the LSD, I know it does on the W219.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:15 PM

SL55 AMG Black on Berry Red
Originally Posted by Choson1
The AMG package is already in the SL55. The 030 is the performance package which includes new 19" wheels & tires, upgraded differential, firmer "Nurburgring" suspension, "Safety" front apron, alcantara steering wheel, 186mph top speed and AMG Compound brakes
• AMG front apron with larger cooling air intakes
• Additional engine oil cooler
• Multiple-disc limited slip differential incl. reinforced final drive unit (NEW)
• AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel in leather /Alcantara (black) (NEW)
• AMG Nürburgring sports suspension based on Active Body Control (ABC)
• Internally ventilated composite brake discs measuring 380 x 36mm on the front axle
• 19" AMG multi-piece twin-spoke light-alloy wheels, (front: 8.5 x 19 ET 30 with 255/35R19, rear: 9.5 x 19 ET 31 with 285/30R19)
• Maximum speed limitation (Vmax) increased to 300 km/h

do you have to buy a new 2007 SL55? have you considered with that money buying a used SL65? if you find the one you like, you can buy it on the spot and not wait 3 months. i think it's worth looking around. even a used SL55 is an option. you won't have to pay as much since the first owner took the huge depreciation hit, but you still get all the goodies he originally paid for at a great discounted price. especially if you buy a CPO (certified pre-owned), then you can get all the warranties as well. if you have the time, search around to see if you can find some real good deals out there.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:06 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
May receive better input if we know what cars you've previously owned/strongly considered and whether this car would be a daily driver primarily used in a straight-line, urban setting w/occasional twisties; how long you intend to keep cars, etc etc....

Have owned several SL55 and 996TTS in past...and will get 997TT Tip next mth and also considering SL65....I tend to view SL55 as a 997TT "look-alike" w/much better exhaust note, a commuting-relevant 24gall fuel tank (vs 997TT's <18gall) and usable trunk space...but w/800lbs extra wt and a convertible function (IMO, hate convertibles w/their compromised roof/body integrity and crash resistance).....

Rumor is that 55 will be supplanted by 63NA motor within next few mths (new-gen S/CL AMGs are likely to have this 63NA motor)....

Also would observe that MB seems to be offering cheap $0 down, 27 mo leases on new, '07 SL65, w/?$7K-ish disct from MSRP....so price/ownership cost delta btwn '07 SL65 and SL55PP may not be particularly material to those who enjoy getting a fresh, new factory-spec car every 1-2 yrs.....
Old 07-22-2006, 03:36 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by elbowyeish
• AMG front apron with larger cooling air intakes
• Additional engine oil cooler
• Multiple-disc limited slip differential incl. reinforced final drive unit (NEW)
• AMG ergonomic sports steering wheel in leather /Alcantara (black) (NEW)
• AMG Nürburgring sports suspension based on Active Body Control (ABC)
• Internally ventilated composite brake discs measuring 380 x 36mm on the front axle
• 19" AMG multi-piece twin-spoke light-alloy wheels, (front: 8.5 x 19 ET 30 with 255/35R19, rear: 9.5 x 19 ET 31 with 285/30R19)
• Maximum speed limitation (Vmax) increased to 300 km/h

do you have to buy a new 2007 SL55? have you considered with that money buying a used SL65? if you find the one you like, you can buy it on the spot and not wait 3 months. i think it's worth looking around. even a used SL55 is an option. you won't have to pay as much since the first owner took the huge depreciation hit, but you still get all the goodies he originally paid for at a great discounted price. especially if you buy a CPO (certified pre-owned), then you can get all the warranties as well. if you have the time, search around to see if you can find some real good deals out there.
Thanks for the response. You sure make a lot of sense... but then I think buying at this high end, we tend to go with our "emotions" instead of common sense. Just like a little kid, when buying cars I feel like I should have the brand new one. And I have the patience of waiting until I get the one I like. BTW, at the dealer that I went to for test drive, there was also a 2006 S65 sedan fully loaded that I was told could go for the same price range as a 2007 SL55 AMG. My son loves that one but I still am thinking of a two-seater. You mentioned SL65 --- I've read somewhere that due to the much bigger engine, the weight distribution is not as good as the SL55, hence does not handle quite as good. What do you think? Of course with the price jump, I probably would go to another entirely different car... Oh well, I'm still at that stage of mulling over which one, what kind, etc. Thanks again for your advice.

bari
Old 07-22-2006, 03:58 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by WSH
May receive better input if we know what cars you've previously owned/strongly considered and whether this car would be a daily driver primarily used in a straight-line, urban setting w/occasional twisties; how long you intend to keep cars, etc etc....

Have owned several SL55 and 996TTS in past...and will get 997TT Tip next mth and also considering SL65....I tend to view SL55 as a 997TT "look-alike" w/much better exhaust note, a commuting-relevant 24gall fuel tank (vs 997TT's <18gall) and usable trunk space...but w/800lbs extra wt and a convertible function (IMO, hate convertibles w/their compromised roof/body integrity and crash resistance).....

Rumor is that 55 will be supplanted by 63NA motor within next few mths (new-gen S/CL AMGs are likely to have this 63NA motor)....

Also would observe that MB seems to be offering cheap $0 down, 27 mo leases on new, '07 SL65, w/?$7K-ish disct from MSRP....so price/ownership cost delta btwn '07 SL65 and SL55PP may not be particularly material to those who enjoy getting a fresh, new factory-spec car every 1-2 yrs.....
Hi - I have a Boxster S right now for my daily (more like weekend) driver. I have owned quite a lot of corvettes in my younger days (C3's and ZR1's). I restored, modded and kept the C3 that I bought new from NJ. Then I got into Bimmers when we moved to California - from 330's to M3's and Z3's. My wife and kids have the Z3's and X3. Then I got into Porche's with Boxster moving into the S model. I almost got into the C2S but then decided to wait for the 997TT. As I mentioned in my original post, I took a test drive and got very impressed with MB SL's. I like in particular MB's hard-top convertible as oppossed to Porsche's soft-top convertible.

Part of my job requires heavy travelling out of state such that I really don't get to drive my cars that much except on weekends and holidays. Not getting any younger either... my taste in car's starting to go for more comfort but I still fancy 2-seater sports - that's why the SL AMG model.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
Originally Posted by bari
You mentioned SL65 --- I've read somewhere that due to the much bigger engine, the weight distribution is not as good as the SL55, hence does not handle quite as good. What do you think?
There are a variety of opinions on that topic. Some feel the difference is not noticeable; others do.

By the numbers, the SL55's best time at Nurburgring is 2% faster than the SL65's, 8:06 versus 8:14. Of course, the SL55 has significantly higher cornering speeds to offset the SL65's significant acceleration advantage.

I went for the SL55 and have never regretted it for a minute. You'll find no small number of SL65 owners who would say similar things about their cars.

Have fun with the decision!
Old 07-22-2006, 06:47 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Hi - I have a Boxster S right now for my daily (more like weekend) driver. I have owned quite a lot of corvettes in my younger days (C3's and ZR1's). I restored, modded and kept the C3 that I bought new from NJ. Then I got into Bimmers when we moved to California - from 330's to M3's and Z3's. My wife and kids have the Z3's and X3. Then I got into Porche's with Boxster moving into the S model. I almost got into the C2S but then decided to wait for the 997TT. As I mentioned in my original post, I took a test drive and got very impressed with MB SL's. I like in particular MB's hard-top convertible as oppossed to Porsche's soft-top convertible.

Part of my job requires heavy travelling out of state such that I really don't get to drive my cars that much except on weekends and holidays. Not getting any younger either... my taste in car's starting to go for more comfort but I still fancy 2-seater sports - that's why the SL AMG model.
Know a few guys (fmr and current SL55/65 owners) currently debating whether to get '07 SL65 now or wait a few mths to get SL63....

65 has much stronger torque for 60-120MPH accel; higher-grade interior leather finishes....but has ?250lbs extra wt over front end (vs lighter 63 motor); older 5-sp auto; prob more muted exhaust note than 63 (V12 and Turbo nature); may burn oil (Turbo issues; so need to refill oil every 1-2K mis); high tq may also mean a bit trickier accel/traction in wet conds; and unless one can negotiate a cheap 2 yr lease on 65 to "lock-in" deprec costs, face risk of tremendous deprec if need to exit lease early....

Biggest unknown w/63 is whether motor has enough low RPM tq for effortless accel, esp in urban fwy settings....

Suspect you'll be pleased w/whichever car you choose....997TT/SL65/SL63...they're each phenomenal cars w/unique strengths/weaknesses.....but would argue that none of these cars is desirable to own beyond 2-3 yrs or 30K mis, given their tech systems/software bugs/mtce costs (esp ceramic/cpd brakes)/rattles, esp w/SL roof...and fact that each of these can be leased fairly cheaply, w/$0 down (and minimizing CA sales tx hit)....and one can simply move on to a fresh, latest factory-spec tech copy of car w/yet another $0 down lease in 2-3 yrs....
Old 07-22-2006, 11:30 PM

Mercedes
The SL 55 AMG is the best SL on the market (and the best SL ever built). Fastest lap around the Nuerburgring with an SL 55 is 8.06 min., while the SL 65's fastest lap was way slower (something like 8.30... but I don't have the exact figure).

If you go for the 030 performance package (pp), then PLEASE testdrive it before. I drove it on an SL 65 and I thought that it was waaaaaay too stiff and uncomfy. But that's personal preference. I had a 996 TT before I got my current SL 55 (w/o 030 pp) and I even considered a standard 996 TT to be more comfortable than an AMG SL with 030 pp.

If you use your car as a daily commuter, then you should not pick the 030 pp. If you use it to drive hard (ie on the track), then you should drop considering a R230 SL entirely and go for a 997 GT3 instead. The 997 TT is ugly IMHO.

Last edited by Sharkster; 07-22-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
I'd wait it out for the 997TT. The 996TT is the best car i've ever owned and handling is on a different level to the SL. 997TT is supposed to be a little better than 996 in every area including comfort. I never found the 996 impractical or uncomfortable and used it as a daily driver so don't let hearsay put you off.
If not i'd go for the 65. While it won't handle quite as well (but certainly laps Nurburgring a lot faster than 8:30), if you spend time on the freeway you can have fun leaving everything this side of a Veyron in your wake.
I realise it's a step up in price but I reckon it's money well spent as they're very rare compared to SL55s.
997TT, 55, 65- you can't really go wrong so have fun with whatever you choose.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:37 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
Wait it out for 997TT youve gotten this far, get that and when the new sl amg comes out and looks good or not you will know if you made the right choice!
Old 07-25-2006, 08:15 PM

Question

Originally Posted by elbowyeish
I did a lot of searching and I found two that are close to what I might consider. The first one disappeared from the radar! I don't know... while reading about it late last night, it came up with an error message and then gone (server error). This morning when I called the dealer, they said that they sold it two days ago... Oh well - and I started really liking it - with the low miles and options and it's iridium silver with gray interior.

Anyway, how much depreciation you think will I dodge if I get into a CPO 2006SL55 AMG with less than 2K miles? It has only 3 options - the 030 PP, Bi-Xenon HID lights, and Keyless Go. It is being offered to me at $126,995. What do you guys think? I probably can still negotiate (that's the fleet manager's offer and I didn't say anything yet). The car's black with gray interior...

Thanks,
bari
Old 07-26-2006, 11:42 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Knock him down and go for it. Also keep your place in line for the 997TT. 997TT and SL55 are very different cars and give very different driving experiences. I have the launch edition of the 997TT and will be replacing it with a build to order car over the winter (slot #2) The two cars compliment each other nicely.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Scruffyone
Knock him down and go for it. Also keep your place in line for the 997TT. 997TT and SL55 are very different cars and give very different driving experiences. I have the launch edition of the 997TT and will be replacing it with a build to order car over the winter (slot #2) The two cars compliment each other nicely.
Now, it's getting quite a lot tougher for making a decision. I just spoke with my son-in-law who is a financing manager at another dealer (non-MB). He cautioned me about how the car might have been used. If it's a demo, he says "it's probably driven hard most of the time - specially since it has the 030 PP. With unsupervised test drives, potential buyers tend to drive cars hard to find out what the fuss is all about." His vote is for me to just buy "new." I still would see the car though as I mentioned earlier that more than likely if I order brand new, I will not get the 030 PP option.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 PM

Now, it's getting quite a lot tougher for making a decision. I just spoke with my son-in-law who is a financing manager at another dealer (non-MB). He cautioned me about how the car might have been used. If it's a demo, he says "it's probably driven hard most of the time - specially since it has the 030 PP. With unsupervised test drives, potential buyers tend to drive cars hard to find out what the fuss is all about." His vote is for me to just buy "new." I still would see the car though as I mentioned earlier that more than likely if I order brand new, I will not get the 030 PP option.
These cars were made to be driven like you stole them. At the AMG Challange ALL of the cars are brand new, and we drive the **** outta them. Nothing happens! The 030 package is nice, but if you don't track your car it is a waste of money. Sure, some parts look good, but in every day driving most of that package will not mean squat to you. Get something good, drive it, get something else when you are tired of what you have.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 AM

SL55, Range Rover S/C '06
I've never understood what the fascination is with 996 or 997TT's.. For that price i'd much rather take on a '01 or '02 360 coupe or even a Gallardo.. You get more style, more class, and the same reliability (at least in the Ferrari). Only thing that costs more is service, and even that is only for oil changes, once every 5,000 miles and big services every 15,000 miles.. However, the Ferrari's and Lambo's offer a much sportier drive along with an engine sound that is unrivaled. And it seems that every other 911 is a turbo, at least in Los Angeles... I actually see more turbo's than C4S's...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:33 AM

SL55, Range Rover S/C '06
Originally Posted by WSH

They're very different cars.. The 997 is a pure sports car coupe, the SL is basically a 2-door luxury convertible w/ fairly good performance. Also, if I remember correctly, many convertibles are not only more rigid nowadays, but more crash-worthy than their coupe counterparts due to more torsional stiffness built into the chassis's

Also, the SL is just sexy.. I've been meaning to get a 997 C4S cab, or a 997TT, but i'm definately gonna always miss the SL's looks.. If the SL was a 10 out of 10 on the looks scale, the 997TT barely hits a 8 out of 10 and the 997 C4S's barely hit a 7 out of 10.. Most females will all agree and we know they know what's sexy :-P
Old 07-27-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by lookatmeeee
I've never understood what the fascination is with 996 or 997TT's.. For that price i'd much rather take on a '01 or '02 360 coupe or even a Gallardo.. You get more style, more class, and the same reliability (at least in the Ferrari). Only thing that costs more is service, and even that is only for oil changes, once every 5,000 miles and big services every 15,000 miles.. However, the Ferrari's and Lambo's offer a much sportier drive along with an engine sound that is unrivaled. And it seems that every other 911 is a turbo, at least in Los Angeles... I actually see more turbo's than C4S's...
The 997TT will waste the Gallardo and the 360 in the performance department, and I put performance first when I chose it. Porsche reliability, fit and finish, and low life cycle cost are high on my list also. To the average Joe Blow on the street a Porsche is a Porsche and the model or type is lost on him. The F or L cars look and sound awsome, but they also attract too much attention for me.