SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Questions from a new SL55 AMG Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from a new SL55 AMG Owner

Hello everybody,

Before I begin, I'd like to thank you for all your help. I just bought a '03 SL55 AMG and I have several questions to ask.

1. Is there anyway to remove the speed limiter from the car and if so where do I go get it done and how much do you think it will cost?
2. I was inserting a CD into the in-dash CD drive, it got jammed and it is stuck in there. What is the best way to remove the CD and if need be where can I take it to get it removed.
3. I have a bluetooth enabled cell phone and I was wondering if it is possible to install some kind of bluetooth cell phone car kit so that the pre-installed car phone kit can be used with my cell phone via bluetooth?
4. I was thinking about installing an ipod adapter so that I can use my ipod in the car. What is the best ipod car adapter out there for an sl55? I have the neo ion installed in my civic and it works great except for controlling the ipod. I was wondering if there was another product that has better car integration with an ipod.
5. As far as maintenance is concerned, how much does it cost to get your brakes replaced, mb certified tune up, etc.
6. I was thinking about getting the SLR type turbine-shaped wheels for the car. Does anyone here know if MB sells those wheels or if you need to go to a custom wheels retailer to purchase those?
7. What is the fastest way to drive the car off the line, e.g. should you use manual to drive, or just use S. I know that W is only to be used for winter.

Thank you for all your help. Thanks again!
Old 07-24-2006, 07:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
1) There's no easy way to remove the speed limit. AMG offers a module to remove the speed limit, but I don't know whether it's available separately. Ask your local MB dealer about pricing.

6) The turbine styled wheels are available from Lorinser. They're not available through MB. I just ordered these wheels for my SL55. I'll also do some other minor modifications (like the grille in car's color) etc. Will have pics early next week.
Old 07-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Almost a Member!

1. I don't think the AMG module is availble in US, you will need to send ur ECU to tuner like Kleemann, Renntech or some1 else has also mentioned about sending your ecu to powerchip to just remove the limiter if you don't wnat to upgrade other parts of the car but if you are flashing your ECU, you might want to consider getting headers and pulley etc. you wont' regret it.
3. www.wireless4mb.com
7. I would just leave ESP on and in S because there is a slight lag between pressing the button and when it shift. I would just ease on the throttle at first and when the tire grips. Just floor it.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 911 C4S
4. Not sure if you car is compatible, but MB has its own ipod kit. Call your dealer's parts department and give them your car's VIN and they can tell you for sure.

6. Those are the same as Lorinser RS-8 Wheels, looks cool, but weighs a ton.
Old 07-24-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Kev04C320
6. Those are the same as Lorinser RS-8 Wheels, looks cool, but weighs a ton.
Yea... but they simply look too good. I just had to get them.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:36 AM

Thanks!

Thank you all again for your input and suggestions. Those were the wheels that I was looking for. The best price I found was around 3700 dollars without any wheels, just the chrome rims. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2006, 11:50 AM

SL55, ML500, GT3 RS, 997C2S
Did your in dash CD player already have a nav DVD in it?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:10 PM

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by philpre
Hello everybody,

Before I begin, I'd like to thank you for all your help. I just bought a '03 SL55 AMG and I have several questions to ask.

1. Is there anyway to remove the speed limiter from the car and if so where do I go get it done and how much do you think it will cost?
2. I was inserting a CD into the in-dash CD drive, it got jammed and it is stuck in there. What is the best way to remove the CD and if need be where can I take it to get it removed.
3. I have a bluetooth enabled cell phone and I was wondering if it is possible to install some kind of bluetooth cell phone car kit so that the pre-installed car phone kit can be used with my cell phone via bluetooth?
4. I was thinking about installing an ipod adapter so that I can use my ipod in the car. What is the best ipod car adapter out there for an sl55? I have the neo ion installed in my civic and it works great except for controlling the ipod. I was wondering if there was another product that has better car integration with an ipod.
5. As far as maintenance is concerned, how much does it cost to get your brakes replaced, mb certified tune up, etc.
6. I was thinking about getting the SLR type turbine-shaped wheels for the car. Does anyone here know if MB sells those wheels or if you need to go to a custom wheels retailer to purchase those?
7. What is the fastest way to drive the car off the line, e.g. should you use manual to drive, or just use S. I know that W is only to be used for winter.

Thank you for all your help. Thanks again!
I suggest using the powerchip software for performance and to remove that pesky speed governor. Ive got their software in my E55 with crank pulley and its owesome. Using their 93 Gold i gained 55hp and 50 lbs/torque