SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: First in Canada(maybe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
996tt, E55, X3 and a few others not worthy of mentioning here...
Smile First in B.C. (revised)

Just wanted to let everyone know that my Obsidian Black/Berry Red SL55 is arriving on Monday and I will post pictures asap. My car comes with bi-zenon lights, parktronic and a cd-changer. I have been told that I am 1 of 2 units coming here this year though that seems a bit low. I will also post a short review once I have had the car for a few weeks.

Last edited by Canuck; 09-11-2002 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:13 PM

sl and M-class E320 4Matic SLK350
By here, do you mean in all of Canada or just at your dealer two units this year?
Old 09-07-2002, 12:02 AM

My dealer is getting 1 unit ie mine and another local dealer is getting the other. My dealer tells me that these are the only 2 expected for the rest of the year. Maybe this allocation is only for Western Canada. I should also mention that I placed my order in June '01 and optioned it in May '02 for next weeks delivery. So I guess the phrase of the moment is "patience my young padiwan".
Old 09-07-2002, 03:23 AM

2007 CL 550
As a former 996 turbo driver turned to SL 55, like myself, you will be impress by the much higher performance of the car, coupled with confort. Plus, it's a convertible!
Old 09-07-2002, 03:45 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
Wink Monday must seem like forever!

Canuck

The closer you always get the further it seems. Good luck getting any sleep between now and then!

We eagerly await your pics and review. Please post an initial review before your detailed review weeks later.

GMW
Old 09-10-2002, 01:06 AM

update

Just received word from the dealer that my car has arrived and is being prepared for delivery. My dealer sounds quite excited about the whole thing. I am unsure what the timeframe is like but I should be able to post something by the weekend.

On a different note, I was coming back from dinner tonight and had an encounter with an SL500 (Silver) with a AMG badge (probably got it as part of the AMG kit that was on the car). Anyway the driver has learnt the error of messing with a 996 Turbo, I sincerely hope that the SL55 fares better as its similar in price (at least in Canada). In any event, I should be able to post a direct comparison very soon.

Lastly, unless proven otherwise, I hereby claim the first spot for Canada. Cheers!
Old 09-10-2002, 01:46 AM

Dude! Where do you live in Canada?!
Old 09-10-2002, 12:11 PM

From the looks of it Regime, we share the same 'hood. Are you a member of the local MB Club? I noticed that there is a Whistler trip scheduled for the coming weekend. The Sea to Sky Highway would be a decent route to test my ride, don't you think?
Old 09-10-2002, 04:05 PM

C300 4 MATIC (2013)
Angry Not the First in T.O.

Hey Canuck!

Sorry to bring you the bad news..

But in Toronto, my neighbour has had his SL 55 AMG for almost 6 weeks now.. A beautiful Silver model. Almost as fast as my Modena..

Where are you located?
Old 09-10-2002, 04:52 PM

First in B.C. (maybe) but not in T.O. (for sure)

So much for that then... I guess that I should revise my boast to being the first in B.C. In any event, how about some pics from the both of you. And if you are ever in the area, maybe we can chat more about AMG V Modena V Turbo.

Last edited by Canuck; 09-10-2002 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
The SL55 will comfortably blow a 360 Modena into the weeds today and in 60000 miles, when the Modena is a rusting hulk, the SL55 will be nicely broken in. Plus, you will not have needed to replace the cam belts every 3 years, nor will the paint be peeling off the cylinder heads.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:39 PM

Ouch...

That was painful Blue but true...
Old 09-10-2002, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1M, F550M, F550B, F40, S600, 365GTC, DBSx2, etc.
Re: Not the First in T.O.

Originally posted by Skinny
Almost as fast as my Modena..

I had a modena. It's M5-fast. Unless you're joking, your modena better have the Koenig kit on it to stand half a chance...

--Dan
Old 09-11-2002, 01:40 AM
Almost a Member!

SL55AMG,996 GT2, FERRARI 550M, BMW M5
errr.......

I did the Gumball 3000 this year in April in an SL55. In the SL55 vs 996 TT vs Modena, the SL55 would blow them both away in a straight line race
Old 09-11-2002, 02:03 AM

Damn Canuck! You live where I live!

Maybe some day you can give me a ride in your beautiful car hehehe
Old 09-11-2002, 11:06 AM

Regime

Whats your current chariot of choice Regime?
Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 AM

Lonman

I don't disagree with you but unlike German autobahns, my local roads come with twist and turns. I am looking forward to an all out sprint to Whistler on the Sea to Sky Highway in the Turbo and the '55 just to experience AWD V ABC/RWD. On a separate note, its a pleasure to meet you, albeit in cyber space. Next time on a road somewhere maybe? Cheers!
Old 09-11-2002, 11:12 AM

Regime

Hey, remember to wave!
Old 09-12-2002, 12:26 AM

Re: Regime

Originally posted by Canuck
Whats your current chariot of choice Regime?
All your cars are very beautiful heheh. I wouldn't mind a ride in anyone of them hehehe... Though the SL55 AMG just tickles my fancy hahah

Btw. My name is Alex
Old 09-12-2002, 02:12 AM

First impressions

My dealer contacted me this afternoon to let me know that the '55 was at the dealership for inspection and detailing. I was told that unlike the regular benzes, AMG models required the involvement of the Head Foreman and this was normally done at the dealership.

When I got to the dealership my sales person was with some customers so I took the liberty looking for my car. After a few steps into the parking area I noticed a now familiar set of 'turbine' wheels peeking out at me and then there it was. As far as first impressions go I was not too impressed, I must admit. The car was quite dirty and had protective masking tape (white) covering the entire top part of the vehicle, the seats were covered in plastic wrap and strangely enough there were cardboard inserts on the door panels and on the floormats (ala the pics of the '55 in HK). It must be a trend.

By that time the Sales Manager offered me the keys and without much ado I was in! I paused a moment before turning the ignition as I recalled comments in magazine articles and even in this forum about the sound of that monster engine. Again, I admit I was not impressed as the "rumble of twin ducati's in heat" seemed a bit shy or maybe it has been tweaked for Canada. Or maybe my expectations of a Fatboy growl was misplaced...

Anyway, I also discovered that a pair of 'brass' looking screw on hooks come with the '55 and I was told by the Manager that this was the first MB that came with custom made hooks for towing the car. An omen perhaps? I thought that in the event of a towing incident the first thing to go missing would be those hooks!!!

Having recalled an earlier post I too wanted to check out the serial number on my supercharger and yes it too started with '9' and the last three digits were 280. I am still not sure whether this corresponds to the unit number as the other post had a number that was pretty close.

As MB is having its official launch event of the new 'E' and 'CLK' in October, I offered to loan my '55 to them for that event as the Manager and my sales person have been extremely tolerant of my numerous visits and queries over the last 15 months. They of course accepted and offered to have the car detailed (as would be necessary) to car show standard and they would also have other goodies for me. It seems that I would also be invited to meet some MB/DC bigwigs that would be attending the event. So in case anyone out there is keen for a free detailing and major PR, this would be the route to take. I will of course take the necessary pictures of the event and post them in due course.

Lastly, I will be collecting the car tomorrow, a few days later than originally expected and will attempt to have some views for this forum over the weekend.

Cheers!
ps also spied a '03 CLK 500 being off-loaded when I arrived at the dealership. I will try to get some shots of that as well. My first impression though is that the CLK has become a tad feminine
Old 09-12-2002, 10:37 AM

Hello Canuck,

Nice stable of cars you have there. I must say a jaunt up the Sea-to-Sky in any of those cars is what dreams are made of. Just keep a heads up for the lovely men in blue as they seem to spend more than their share of time on that road. Anyway, just curious which dealership in Vancouver do you deal with? And have you been happy with the sales and delivery process?
Old 09-12-2002, 01:33 PM

Dealership ramblings...

The '55 is coming out of the Richmond Automall MB whereas the '32 was out of the West Broadway MB. As usual, there are always bad apples in every barrel. I have found that I gravitate towards a very particular type of sales individual as my M.O. has always been to have a conversation about the car that I am interested in (and its almost always a new model about 12-24 months out) and the majority of the sales people I find are keen to make a buck today or tomorrow but not necessarily 12 months out. In most cases the standard line would be 'why don't you put down a deposit just in case...' In some of the luxury car dealerships, I find that the people working there suffer from what I term "Gucci-ities". By this I mean, the snooty and overbearing attitude of 'some' Gucci sales persons makes me wonder whether they are all related to Tom Ford in some way. As far as I am concerned, the sales department is there to provide information as well as to sell the product.

In any event, I have been lucky enough to meet 2 sales persons (one from each dealership) and a sales manager that fully understand their roles in their respective dealerships. They have all been extremely consistent in their behaviour and attitude towards me and have always gone out of their way to supply me with information (and this was in the realisation that there may not be any sale). It was not uncommon for me to pop by at the dealership while waiting for the '55 to have a chat.

Having said all this, I cannot say that I am now a sworn MB customer but it won't be too difficult for me to lean towards MBs too.

My apologies for the rambling...
Old 09-12-2002, 01:34 PM

Alesi

Your comment about the Sea to Sky would imply that you are somewhat familiar with the area. Are you native to my parts?
Old 09-12-2002, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Canuck....sorry to give you bad news as well. There're 2 SL55s in the Broadway dealership in the past couple of weeks. One has been delivered and the other arrived on Fri (Sept 6). So I dont believe the claim made by your salesman that your car is the first in BC/Canada. Well, you have to remember that they're salesman, I'm sure they know what a customer like you want to hear and what you dont want to hear.

Looking forward to your review after delivery.
Old 09-12-2002, 03:06 PM

Canuck,

I am indeed native to your parts. I have also had the "pleasure" to encounter our lovely men in blue on the odd occasion. Nonetheless a nice run down the Sea-to-Sky on a particularily bright Monday morning at 5:30 am still ranks as one of my most pleasurable driving experiences. Nothing like getting the rubber on the edge of adhesion as the next s-curve looms just ahead. Ahhh fond memories indeed.

As for your "ramblings" they are most appreciated. I am very familiar with both those dealerships and do understand just what you are speaking of. Do you mind if I ask who your salespeople were? Also is it Dimitri you speak of as I have dealt with him and was very impressed with his demeanor and expertise.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: First in Canada(maybe)