SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Gallardo any one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
Gallardo any one?

Do any of you guys have any first hand knowledge on the gallardo? I saw one the other day and it looked amazing. I know its not as fast as the sl but man it looked so good. As some of you know I have been toying with the idea of getting something else and I have looked at 997tt, 996tt, turbo vipers, ford gt's, bentleys, and now at the gallardo. In all the sl is the best all around car and we know it can handle some miles put on it but I must admit it does not look as great as it is. The lambos, f430's and even the ford gt just look great. Any ideas or knowledge on how the gallardo performs, quality, cost to keep etc. Also is this a big step down in power and speed?
Old 01-22-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
damm bro another new car you just got the bi-turbo! i to like the galardo and am thinkin that will be my next car but id have to sell the hummer and E55 just to get one. F-430 wow now your talkin.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 AM

2001 Kleemann CLK 230K, 2006 CLS 350, GTR R35
the f430 rules in performance, quality and style from my eyes.

* you wouldnt want the gallardo to blow you to pieces when you hit the start engine button would you?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
F430 all the way. Gallardo is for the junior rapper on his first platinum.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Nice ,good looking car with just average performance (after 65 will feel sloooow to you) and very unexciting,"common" looking interior.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Whatever I feel like
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Do any of you guys have any first hand knowledge on the gallardo? I saw one the other day and it looked amazing. I know its not as fast as the sl but man it looked so good. As some of you know I have been toying with the idea of getting something else and I have looked at 997tt, 996tt, turbo vipers, ford gt's, bentleys, and now at the gallardo. In all the sl is the best all around car and we know it can handle some miles put on it but I must admit it does not look as great as it is. The lambos, f430's and even the ford gt just look great. Any ideas or knowledge on how the gallardo performs, quality, cost to keep etc. Also is this a big step down in power and speed?
I recently got an SL65, but have not had the chance to drive it much yet as it was sent off immediately to get the Renntech Stage 3 and exhaust work done. However, my Renntech SL600 (625 HP) is a pretty good acceleration comparison to the SL65, and probably a hair quicker than a stock SL65.

I have had a 2006 Gallardo Coupe for several months now and the car is simply stunning. Everywhere I go the car gets lots of attention and compliments. The other cars you mentioned are great cars, you cant go wrong with any of them. My G is egear, (which I recommend) so it doenst fly off the line unless I do a performance launch which isnt so great for the car.

From a roll the Gallardo (2006+) is pretty powerful. The comparison is a 520 HP, 3500 pound car, vs a 604 HP, 4500 pound car. The Gallardo's acceleration is pretty close to my SL600, although the SL600 feels a lot faster due to it's, kick you in the butt, torque. Traction is also never an issue in the G, whereas that yellow warning light is on all the time in my SL600.

So the SL65 may be a little bit quicker, but the Gallardo handles better, brakes better, and sounds better. In my opinion The SL65 is unbeatable in terms of luxury, performance, class, and driveability. The Gallardo's quality (and the Murcis) is top notch and Lambos are not that expensive to service.

Hope this information helps

Aaron
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by acicchelli
I recently got an SL65, but have not had the chance to drive it much yet as it was sent off immediately to get the Renntech Stage 3 and exhaust work done. However, my Renntech SL600 (625 HP) is a pretty good acceleration comparison to the SL65, and probably a hair quicker than a stock SL65.

I have had a 2006 Gallardo Coupe for several months now and the car is simply stunning. Everywhere I go the car gets lots of attention and compliments. The other cars you mentioned are great cars, you cant go wrong with any of them. My G is egear, (which I recommend) so it doenst fly off the line unless I do a performance launch which isnt so great for the car.

From a roll the Gallardo (2006+) is pretty powerful. The comparison is a 520 HP, 3500 pound car, vs a 604 HP, 4500 pound car. The Gallardo's acceleration is pretty close to my SL600, although the SL600 feels a lot faster due to it's, kick you in the butt, torque. Traction is also never an issue in the G, whereas that yellow warning light is on all the time in my SL600.

So the SL65 may be a little bit quicker, but the Gallardo handles better, brakes better, and sounds better. In my opinion The SL65 is unbeatable in terms of luxury, performance, class, and driveability. The Gallardo's quality (and the Murcis) is top notch and Lambos are not that expensive to service.

Hope this information helps

Aaron
When do you get your sl65 back? Any pre mod dynos yet? Are you saying from a 20-30mph roll the gallardo keeps up with your sl600 renntech? I would think the 65 and renntech 600 would really walk away from the gallardo but maybe I am wrong. What are the clutch issues I are hear so much about. How often have you had to take the gallardo to the shop and how many miles do you have on it? Thank you for all your info. Who is doing the work on your 65? If you have the chance to I would have them dyno your car with and with out the renntech air box to see what it puts out. The claim is pretty low but another 65 owner said he got like 40rwhp which is great.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Whatever I feel like
JRD tuning (panoz esperante tuner) is going to be doing my Renntech upgrades. They are going to dyno the car before all the upgrades and after all the upgrades. I am not going to have them dyno before airbox and after as its not a concern of mine. From what I have read it's not so much about the peak horsepower gains with the airbox but the gains throughout the curve.

My guess is The SL600 will slowly walk away from the Gallardo, but it wont be very dramatic. I have never actually raced the Gallardo and the SL600 side by side, however, I have raced the Gallardo and Murci side by side from 50 - 100, and they were fairly close with the Murci pulling very slowly ahead. I have also raced the Murci and the SL600 side by side from 30 to 80 and they were nearly dead even. I even got identical 0-60 times with the Murci and SL600 with my driftbox/gtech. I hope to get a side by side comparison of the Gallardo and the SL600 from 30-80 or so soon.

The clutch issues were early Gallardo (pre 2006) problems as far as I know. Having egear really helps minimize any clutch issues as well. I havent had to have either my Gallardo or my Murci (which I traded for my Gallardo) in the shop at all. Keep in mind that I only put like 1000 miles on the Murci while I had it and about 900 on the Gallardo.

Bottom line is, the cars are so different they can barely be compared to one another. I would not give up your SL65 for a Gallardo, but it would make a very nice addition if that's your plan.

Aaron
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

I have to agree here.. giving up the comforts of the SL65 for a Gallardo will be a mistake that I think you regret. The Gallardo has its purpose, but luxury is not one of them. The interior.. is functional.. but I think you will sorely miss the comfort and easy to drive aspect of the SL65. Although the SL65 and Gallardo would make a great combo to have if you can pull it off...

Originally Posted by acicchelli
JRD tuning (panoz esperante tuner) is going to be doing my Renntech upgrades. They are going to dyno the car before all the upgrades and after all the upgrades. I am not going to have them dyno before airbox and after as its not a concern of mine. From what I have read it's not so much about the peak horsepower gains with the airbox but the gains throughout the curve.

My guess is The SL600 will slowly walk away from the Gallardo, but it wont be very dramatic. I have never actually raced the Gallardo and the SL600 side by side, however, I have raced the Gallardo and Murci side by side from 50 - 100, and they were fairly close with the Murci pulling very slowly ahead. I have also raced the Murci and the SL600 side by side from 30 to 80 and they were nearly dead even. I even got identical 0-60 times with the Murci and SL600 with my driftbox/gtech. I hope to get a side by side comparison of the Gallardo and the SL600 from 30-80 or so soon.

The clutch issues were early Gallardo (pre 2006) problems as far as I know. Having egear really helps minimize any clutch issues as well. I havent had to have either my Gallardo or my Murci (which I traded for my Gallardo) in the shop at all. Keep in mind that I only put like 1000 miles on the Murci while I had it and about 900 on the Gallardo.

Bottom line is, the cars are so different they can barely be compared to one another. I would not give up your SL65 for a Gallardo, but it would make a very nice addition if that's your plan.

Aaron
Old 01-25-2007, 01:03 PM

I recently purchased a 2006 F430 F1 and it is great. Test drove the Lambo Spyder and from a price and looks perspective makes more sense than the F430, but lacks something in road feel and "sense of occassion". The E-gear does not compare to the F1 system in the Ferrari. Fit and finish and creature comforts are much better on the Lambo, but the Ferrari is a much better all around driver and the interior feels special although the bells and whistles are not there. The Gallardo would probably make for a better everyday driver, but I would not give up the SL55 for either as an everyday driver. Either own both or be happy with the SL. Just my two cents. My 997 Turbo bridges the gap nicely, but I like the SL55 better if cost is not factored in and will be selling it soon.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55
Originally Posted by trezaei
F430 all the way. Gallardo is for the junior rapper on his first platinum.
That's a really smart *** comment.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dinko
That's a really smart *** comment.
I thought it was pretty funny.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Jeremy Clarkson tested the Gallardo spyder on Top Gear a year or two ago, in my favorite color combo. He loves the car, and seeing it driven to the max on their track is a lot of fun. There are a number of links on Youtube that you can find to watch the episode.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
Banned

Cobra/E55
The Gallardo is a nice car and fast but the SL65 has much better build quality in my opinion. An SL65 with a good tune and some small mods will give a Gallardo a run for it's money.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
The Gallardo is a nice car and fast but the SL65 has much better build quality in my opinion. An SL65 with a good tune and some small mods will give a Gallardo a run for it's money.
Shouldn't the stock SL65 blow the Gallardo away in terms of acceleration? I raced a Gallardo with my modded CLK500 and I wasn't really all that impressed. I also saw an E55 with just pullies totally smoke a Gallardo.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Shouldn't the stock SL65 blow the Gallardo away in terms of acceleration? I raced a Gallardo with my modded CLK500 and I wasn't really all that impressed. I also saw an E55 with just pullies totally smoke a Gallardo.
*Should* yes, but you never know on the street. Also, though the horsepower #'s maybe be better for the SL65, the Gallardo may have a fatter and broader powerband. I would have to look at dyno sheets for the 2 cars.

I myself would take an SL65 over a Gallardo any day. I would then save up for an F430 or Ford GT with twin turbos. Just my opinion.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:11 PM

Merce-rati
f430 ftw
Old 01-28-2007, 06:22 AM
CY
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL/M6
Love the Gallardo.....screw the F430 mark up. I would wait, drive the G and get the F-car later.The SL65 is the top dog and as much as I love it.... if I had to have one (and had other normal daily drivers etc.) I would take the Lambo. Also I have had a R230 for a while, so that has to be factored in.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by CY
Love the Gallardo.....screw the F430 mark up. I would wait, drive the G and get the F-car later.The SL65 is the top dog and as much as I love it.... if I had to have one (and had other normal daily drivers etc.) I would take the Lambo. Also I have had a R230 for a while, so that has to be factored in.
No argument here,
Having a choice of Gallardo with a small discount vs 430 with $50k (or more)mark-up is no brainer....

Unless you can get one at MSRP.....
Old 01-28-2007, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G55 & SLK55
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
Jeremy Clarkson tested the Gallardo spyder on Top Gear a year or two ago, in my favorite color combo. He loves the car, and seeing it driven to the max on their track is a lot of fun. There are a number of links on Youtube that you can find to watch the episode.
I didnt mean to correct you but he tested it August 2006, Black/Orange Gallardo Spyder, Mt Transmition and Carbon fiber interior
Old 01-28-2007, 05:37 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by absent
No argument here,
Having a choice of Gallardo with a small discount vs 430 with $50k (or more)mark-up is no brainer....

Unless you can get one at MSRP.....
Yeah one at msrp I would be all over but that is not going to happen. The g's seem to drop in value like the 65 which is pretty bad. I have seen a few g's in th high 120's and low 130's which is not as bad as the sl dropped but still why pay 180-200k new when you can get used for 50-70k less? Is the fact of being the first owner or knowing how it has been driven worth it, or is it for the short lived warranty or just to say you bought it new? What do you guys think? I must say the f cars hold value like no other.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:22 PM

Whatever I feel like
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Yeah one at msrp I would be all over but that is not going to happen. The g's seem to drop in value like the 65 which is pretty bad. I have seen a few g's in th high 120's and low 130's which is not as bad as the sl dropped but still why pay 180-200k new when you can get used for 50-70k less? Is the fact of being the first owner or knowing how it has been driven worth it, or is it for the short lived warranty or just to say you bought it new? What do you guys think? I must say the f cars hold value like no other.

SL65 depreciation is a lot worse than the Gallardo. MSRP Gallardo's prices have been raised a lot since 2004. There have also been substantial improvements from 2004 to 2006+. 2004 Gallardos that were less brand new than 2005 SL65s still command more money than 2005 SL65s.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

211 E55(sold) & 80cc shifter kart
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I thought it was pretty funny.
x2
Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 AM

'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Lightbulb You can put superchargers or Turbo's on a Gallardo also

You can put superchargers or Turbo's on a Gallardo also, don't forget that. Gemballa and Koenig do it.

Also, don't forget that Lamborghini will be upping the horsepower and updating the Gallardo soon, like maybe next year. I'm hearing 600 horsepower with other mild updates. That would make the zero to 60 MPH dash drop from 3.9 to 4.0 seconds down to mid 3's.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:47 AM

SLK 55 AMG
Most people I know who have one (as well as magazine reviews etc) tend to prefer the manual over the egear which can be a bit weird at times...

I drove a manual Gallardo (and a 550hp SL55...), and I know the Gallardo was definitely the better handling car. It was also really quick and overall great car to drive.

I think the 430's a much better looking vehicle tho'.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Gallardo any one?