SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Please help! "Buy Back" lemon law title

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 SL55
Please help! "Buy Back" lemon law title

Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a SL55 used, looks great but my dilemma is this: it has a "buy back" lemon tittle, was bought back from the owner by Mercedes Benz, then fixed and sold at auction to a dealership that now has it for sale. What do YOU think? Is there any way that It can be worth it? I kinda learn everything about the 55's from this forum so I value your opinion.Thanks for your help. Georgie
Old 02-25-2007, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'03 SL55
I'd personally be leery about buying an expensive car with a problematic repair history and a defective title. That said, it could be a reasonable deal if you get a huge discount off the market price for a similar car with a clean title along with assurances that the necessary repairs were really made and a dealer-provided extended warranty. Without a huge discount the deal is a non-starter because you will have to give a huge discount whenever you turn around and sell the car.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck!

Originally Posted by Georgie
Hi guys, I am thinking of getting a SL55 used, looks great but my dilemma is this: it has a "buy back" lemon tittle, was bought back from the owner by Mercedes Benz, then fixed and sold at auction to a dealership that now has it for sale. What do YOU think? Is there any way that It can be worth it? I kinda learn everything about the 55's from this forum so I value your opinion.Thanks for your help. Georgie
Old 02-25-2007, 01:29 PM

SL55, Cayenne S, Tundra, 360 spider
I would not buy a buy back car. So there is one person you won't be able to sell to when you are ready to sell the car. Who here would buy a buy back and who would not. That really is the question you need to ask. The day will come when you want to sell the car and you may have a very few people interested. I would buy a buy back caravan if I needed a caravan but I would have a lot larger crowd to sell the caravan to when I was done with the caravan.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:53 PM

03 SL55
"Buy Back" Lemon law SL55

Thank you for your help, I also feel the same about the resale, but I love this body style so much that I would keep it for ever, if mechanically was OK. You can see it on Ebay it's got all the options that I want, it is a black 2003 with 41k miles and they want $59,000. I talked to them yesterday, they don't know what the buy back was for, but it happened when the car had 11K miles 2 years ago. they said it runs perfectly, I'll call MB tomorrow to check on that buy back. Good deal at 59,000 dollars?? Thanks again. Georgie
Old 02-25-2007, 02:53 PM

SL55
Exclamation Warning

There are even more problems... Most companys won't even give you a loan on it, And forget about extended warranties. And NOTA4RE is right... It will be very hard for you to sell it... It's still too much money to risk..

Look hard... You can find a deal on a legit car... I did.

RoydRage
Old 02-25-2007, 03:26 PM

SL55
Thank you for your help, I also feel the same about the resale, but I love this body style so much that I would keep it for ever, if mechanically was OK. You can see it on Ebay it's got all the options that I want, it is a black 2003 with 41k miles and they want $59,000. I talked to them yesterday, they don't know what the buy back was for, but it happened when the car had 11K miles 2 years ago. they said it runs perfectly, I'll call MB tomorrow to check on that buy back. Good deal at 59,000 dollars?? Thanks again. Georgie
Really man...

That's not that great a deal... It's a High Miles car as far as SL55's go... They are on the floor right now... I think you can get one That's not a buyback with miles like that... For the same price... Don't be impulsive. It's a big decision...

As long as you move before Spring you will be ok

Look at the "Completed Listings" See what high miles cars went for, and didn't go for... Try and contact the sellers of those cars, and make an offer.

Good Luck,

RoydRage
Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM

03 SL55
So, I'll be patient, NO "Buy Back". Thanks!

What do you guys think ,what would be a good deal for an SL55, year, miles,options and price,I know that 58grand is not a lot for a 55 but that's all I got, maybe I should get a 2005 SL500 instead. I love the W230 body style.The one I was talking about has the nice 19' wheels,too.(buy back). Thanks a lot for your help. Realy appreciated. Georgie
Old 02-25-2007, 09:06 PM

SL55
Cool Your Car

What do you guys think ,what would be a good deal for an SL55, year, miles,options and price,I know that 58grand is not a lot for a 55 but that's all I got, maybe I should get a 2005 SL500 instead. I love the W230 body style.The one I was talking about has the nice 19' wheels,too.(buy back). Thanks a lot for your help. Realy appreciated. Georgie
Dude,

Here's a 42,000mi car pretty loaded for your price. With A CLEAR TITLE!

What are you waiting for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...QQcmdZViewItem

RoydRage