SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: kleemann vs renntech 65amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
kleemann vs renntech 65amg

Hey guys I have been looking into tuning the benz for some time now and am still looking and maybe getting something else but was thinking about this. What if you get a tune from renntech dyno the car and then put in a tune from kleemann and dyno the car and see who has the most power. I hear alot about using renntech for the 65amgs but I used kleemann on a past car with great results but I want the most power for the car. I know some people will just look at dynos of other cars and go from that but wouldnt this be the best way to see which tuner gives more hp and lbft. I mean you are using the same car and the same dyno. What do you guys think of this idea?
Old 02-26-2007, 02:55 PM

I seriously doubt you'd see any major difference. I'm willing to bet the tunes are exactly or VERY close to the same.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM

SL65 AMG
No there is a difference.......in PRICE
Old 02-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
The top tuners on the market all provide tunes that provide similar gains, some slightly more some slightly less.. Kleeman, Powerchip, Renntech, and a few others have excellent software and their gains are similar.

On a side note, you may want to think about Powerchip's performance software. With a 14-day money back guarantee, $100 reflash fee for new mods, and 15+ years of tuning experience they're a very viable option.

If you have any questions please let me know.

-Aaron
Old 02-26-2007, 03:12 PM

Bentley Flying Spur, CL550
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
No there is a difference.......in PRICE
+1
Old 02-26-2007, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Both are reputable companies, for me it comes down to price....and how much I like their logo.
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 PM

What is the difference in price?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
Hey guys I have been looking into tuning the benz for some time now and am still looking and maybe getting something else but was thinking about this. What if you get a tune from renntech dyno the car and then put in a tune from kleemann and dyno the car and see who has the most power. I hear alot about using renntech for the 65amgs but I used kleemann on a past car with great results but I want the most power for the car. I know some people will just look at dynos of other cars and go from that but wouldnt this be the best way to see which tuner gives more hp and lbft. I mean you are using the same car and the same dyno. What do you guys think of this idea?
i know nuttin about 65s but for my E55 i went renntech for these reasons
1) the owner of renn was a top dog at AMG he must know something
2) you always get free updates or if you add mods free ECU updates
3) they have a great warranty if it breaks they replace no problems
4) very important to me you dont have to send renntech your ECU it flashed right there on the spot.
5) i have not seen anything bad about renntech yet execpt their price. but to me it was worth it.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
4) very important to me you dont have to send renntech your ECU it flashed right there on the spot.
5) i have not seen anything bad about renntech yet execpt their price. but to me it was worth it.
I know the owner of RennTech was of AMG ilk, but do you remember back in the day when they'd shove their SL 7.3 in C&D's super tuner shootout and it broke EVERY YEAR??? I mean this car looked amazing, but literally every time they entered the thing in competition it broke. That just made me really uncomfortable with RennTech.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Go RennTech

Originally Posted by ROCKETW19

+1 RennTech <---> very good reputation <---> tons of experience with AMG
Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 PM

One thing I've never liked is gouging. To charge 4k bucks for a muffler, I mean, come on. I'm all for people making money, but just because a car cost 6 figures, shouldn't require the mods to as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by 1fast400
One thing I've never liked is gouging. To charge 4k bucks for a muffler, I mean, come on. I'm all for people making money, but just because a car cost 6 figures, shouldn't require the mods to as well.
I agree 100%.. Most tuners base the cost of their software on the cost of the vehicle or other modifications applicable to that vehicle. Powerchip on the other hand bases their costs (usually 1/2 the price of Kleeman & Renntech) on R&D costs and other inherent costs.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StealthAuto
I agree 100%.. Most tuners base the cost of their software on the cost of the vehicle or other modifications applicable to that vehicle. Powerchip on the other hand bases their costs (usually 1/2 the price of Kleeman & Renntech) on R&D costs and other inherent costs.

+1 for Powerchip
Old 02-26-2007, 05:25 PM

I laughed when I saw the chip upgrade from renntech for 6 grand or so. When I saw the exhaust at 4k I laughed. Sadly, that is what the market will bear. I have an SRT8 magnum, the exhaust cost 900 bucks. An SL65 is almost 5x the cost and the exhaust cost 5x as much. When I first did upgrades to my SRT10, the flash cost me 800 bucks. I thought it was more than fair given the performance advantage. I had a less than stellar experience with RennTech the first time I dealt with them. I found the rep I dealt with very arrogant. It was a purchase of about 3500 bucks, which I now see is a VERY small transaction to them. At the time, it was a lot to me.

They will continue to charge those retarded prices as long as people are willing to pay it. I don't care how much money I have, I refuse to "throw" money away just to throw it away.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by 1fast400
I laughed when I saw the chip upgrade from renntech for 6 grand or so. When I saw the exhaust at 4k I laughed. Sadly, that is what the market will bear. I have an SRT8 magnum, the exhaust cost 900 bucks. An SL65 is almost 5x the cost and the exhaust cost 5x as much. When I first did upgrades to my SRT10, the flash cost me 800 bucks. I thought it was more than fair given the performance advantage. I had a less than stellar experience with RennTech the first time I dealt with them. I found the rep I dealt with very arrogant. It was a purchase of about 3500 bucks, which I now see is a VERY small transaction to them. At the time, it was a lot to me.

They will continue to charge those retarded prices as long as people are willing to pay it. I don't care how much money I have, I refuse to "throw" money away just to throw it away.
I agree with your thinking 100%...

On a side note, are you on LXForums.com? You may want to check out our SRT8 pedals... They're pretty sweet.

SL65 AMG
I know the price is high but I have looked at the R&D cost for some items and the cost for that was high. On one product I wanted to bring to market the company needed me to order 50 untis to make the run worth while and the R&D was another 25-40k. I think it is all with in reason, I know guys that think I am an idiot since the have a fox body mustang that can walk me and they have all of 25k into the car. I guess it comes does to taste. I did deal with one renntech rep who was a jerk and really turned me off renntech but I have dealt with adam and he seemslike a good guy so I did by the renntech elm from him. Cory at kleemann has always been a stand up guy though and I have alot of respect for him.

SL65 AMG
What are the hp and lbft gains from power chip?
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 PM

I spoke with cory after having already committed to renntech. I would have GLADLY done business with them. He was very helpfull with questions I had. I found the renntech guy boasting of unrealistic gains. I'm far from a newbie with cars, I wasn't a checkbook looking for performance.

I agree that R&D costs can be enormous for certain things. However, ECU's and mufflers aren't one of them. Once they had a test car, fitting/bending pipes isn't that hard.

Stealth, I'm not on the LXforums, I posted there once maybe. I use this same name across all boards, viper/srt10/etc.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I know the owner of RennTech was of AMG ilk, but do you remember back in the day when they'd shove their SL 7.3 in C&D's super tuner shootout and it broke EVERY YEAR??? I mean this car looked amazing, but literally every time they entered the thing in competition it broke. That just made me really uncomfortable with RennTech.
I have a copy of C&D sitting here with the RENNtech SL 7.4 and it has 5 stars for driveability and reliability in the tuner shoot out. I dont recall renntech cars failing often other than the CL55k that had an isssue with the transmission. Turned out to be a small control box was attached to a interior trim piece that was yanked out in the test because it kept coming lose and knocking the drivers foot. Once replaced the car ran perfectly.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
hmmm

I don't know why you made this thread ... it sounds like your mind is already made up.

As to a shop providing a renntech tune and a kleemann tune for you to test before purchase ... that would seem very difficult. I don't know of any shop that sells both.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:33 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55R
I don't know why you made this thread ... it sounds like your mind is already made up.

As to a shop providing a renntech tune and a kleemann tune for you to test before purchase ... that would seem very difficult. I don't know of any shop that sells both.
How do you figure my mind is made up? Thought it was clear from this thread that my mind is not made up. I would not ask for free samples but rather pay each tuner for a tune and inform them the best tune I will keep and the other tune gets sent back and refunded. Cory is a great guy and knows me and I am sure he understands that I just want the most power and best tune and is nothing personal, and on the other hand Adam has been very good with my first renntech purchase and seems to run a top notch shop as well.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:48 PM

You just need to sell me your car cheap and not worry with all that
Old 02-26-2007, 08:06 PM

05 SL 55 AMG, 01 Turbusa/8.43 @ 183..1/4 mi.
My 05/-55 with the Renntech ECU/Pulley mod and their upgraded IC pump and 2nd intercooler added about 10% more reliable power/torque........and it cost a lot less than 10% of what I paid for the car.......customer support is unsurpassed, IMO.

(I know because that is what I do....customer service in an Independent Repair Shop.)